KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » My Summer Home

My Summer Home
Started by: xEsaulx

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

CHAPTER TWO

"Pa, Tim, Chad, Emily," cries Ma from the porch. "Lunch is ready. Come in an' help yourself."

Me and Dreamer barely arrive back when she calls for us. Four hours up and about is enough to have me hungry. Plus those blackberries weren't that much of a help anyway. So I bring Dreamer back to his stall as quick as I possibly can so I can get something in my stomach more satisfying for my stomach. Torpedo is there, of course, and he's neighing furiously, and he's also kicking about. I really wonder how much longer it is going to take for him to calm down and grow to like us. Maybe he will never do so, he is a mustang after all. It is hard to tame a mustang, so I have been told by Pa himself. And I believe Pa. I always have. There is no reason in the world why he would lie like that.

"Emily, you comin'?" I hear Ma again as I leave the barn and close the door. I shout to her in response that I am coming.

At the table already are Tim, Chad, and Pa with beat red faces. I can tell easily that they have been working hard on that fence. But really, how hard can it be to do such a thing? I seat myself down next to Tim like I always do, and I help myself to a sandwich from the plate in the middle of the table. I begin to eat it, and I start to observe my family. Ma is sitting there, taking only a single sandwich as I do. The men each take two wolfing them down. Ma gets up from the table and heads over to the cabinet. She takes out five glasses and then goes to the fridge to get the pitcher of lemonade out. She pours the glasses and starts to hand them out. I get up from the table to assist her. We each gave the men their drinks first, then we gave ourselves our own.

"The fencin' comin' along?" I ask as I take a sip from the nice cold lemonade. It is just what I need to keep my hydrated. The heat doesn't get so bad in Minnesota. It just depends on what you do and how much of it you do.

"Oh," starts Chad, "It's comin' along fine. We finished ages ago. We just had a little trouble with Torpedo."

"Oh?"

"Hmmm," Pa responds, "Kinda got jealous when you let Dreamer out. He doesn't seem too fond of me not lettin' him out."

I nod with understanding. Ma continues to drink her lemonade without saying anything. Tim mimics the same thing. Well not so really mimics. Our meals usually consist of little talk, depending on how the day goes. We really don't use our meals as a type of social gathering. So really what time do we really spend as a family? That's the thing I start to notice a few weeks ago. I keep on planning to bring it up, but I fail to each time. I didn't want to do that. Everyone seems so happy the way things are. It will be horrible to disrupt that.

"So, tell me, Emily, what did you an' Dreamer do?" Pa asks me.

"Oh a little bit of this an' a little bit of that. I talked to him an' I swear he talked right back to me. It was like we are connected some how. It is really neat. I really think he can understand me an' I can understand him."

"That's nice dear," Ma says to me. It is as if she did not believe me about it.

"So, Tim," I say, changing the subject. "When are you gonna to the post office to drop off that letter to Sammy?"

"It's Samantha," he corrects me in a dignified way. "an' why do you want to know?"

"Curiosity killed the cat?" I ask rhetorically. "I just wanted to tag along that's all. Kinda wanted to go into town for a bit."

"Ma, do you have a problem with that?" he questions her.

"Not if Pa doesn't, do you dear?"

"Nope. As long as he stays by your side the whole time."

"But Pa-" I start to whine in despair. I felt that wasn't fair at all. I mean I am a big girl, am I not? Why does he have to control me like that?

"No buts. It is the only way you are allowed to go."

Whenever Pa says something it is always final. You are never allowed to argue with him. What he says is a fact as well as law. Pa is never wrong when it comes to what he has to say about his own family. He knows what is best for us. Questioning Pa always brought trouble. I know better to keep my tongue to myself. I never really plan on going against his wishes. And I certainly know better than to sneak behind his back. Going to town with Tim meant going to the post office and that is it. No going around and seeing the different shops or talking to some of my friends I might wind up seeing. It is kind of disappointing how that our trip will only consist of that.

"Fine, okay Pa," I say without continuing on. I love him dearly, but really he can get on my nerves. Not much of a nerve anyway. For the most part we get along fine. There are some things though we are in dispute about. Just sort of mutually not right out in the open like some people might do. We don't agree on a few things that is it. Like the fact that I am not allowed to go on my own in town, or I am not allowed to go to the fort alone though it was never exactly said.

"Glad we see eye to eye. Dinner is going to be at what time, Ma?"

"I should have it done at about four."

"Good, good. Be back at three then. You two can go, unless Chad, you would like to go with them?"

"I think I'm gonna take a little nap. I might be able to get some sleep without havin' my two sibling's 'round. So I'm gonna say my piece now an' take care of my plate an' head on upstairs. Any objections?"

"If you sleep long enough for Emily an' me to come with another way to wake you up, then it is fine with me."

"Ma-" Chad starts to do his own style of whining.

"Now enough is enough," she says with a slight hint of anger, but no amusement attached at all. "Emily you are fifteen...almost sixteen. Chad you are as good as eighteen already, an' Tim you are what, twenty? I expect each of you to act your age. Tim an' Emily the first few times it is amusin' to wake Chad up the way you do. An' Chad do you really need to whine like that?"

"Now Ma-" Pa cuts in, as he tries to calm her down.

"But nothin'. Pa you firmly put your foot down when you feeling stron' 'bout somethin'. I should be able to do the same. I don't wanna hear any more on the matter. It ends now."

"So..." Chad says as he gets up and takes care of his dishes. "I'll see y'all in a bit okay?"

---

(This is just a little taste of the second chapter. I have a lot more typed, but I won't release anymore until the chapter is finished)

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 02:42 AM
xEsaulx is currently offline Click here to Send xEsaulx a Private Message Find more posts by xEsaulx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Giggles
do you like the dark?

lol, very gud, wuts up w/torpedo tho, must have more, plz

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 03:45 AM
Giggles is currently offline Click here to Send Giggles a Private Message Find more posts by Giggles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

Whatcha mean? Torpedo's just a horse xD

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 04:31 PM
xEsaulx is currently offline Click here to Send xEsaulx a Private Message Find more posts by xEsaulx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

CHAPTER TWO IS DONE! I will be posting a snippet from it shortly.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 06:21 PM
Giggles
do you like the dark?

post plz

Old Post Jul 17th, 2007 09:42 PM
Giggles is currently offline Click here to Send Giggles a Private Message Find more posts by Giggles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

Lol I would've posted already but I was at my mom's. Give me a few minutes to sort myself

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 12:37 AM
danielle marie.
Bel Fan Club President

Okeedokee.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 12:52 AM
danielle marie. is currently offline Click here to Send danielle marie. a Private Message Find more posts by danielle marie. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Giggles
do you like the dark?

kk but hurry b4 i lose my mind
eek! rolling on floor laughing doctor raver wacko

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 01:07 AM
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

CHAPTER TWO

"Pa, Tim, Chad, Emily," cries Ma from the porch. "Lunch is ready. Come in an' help yourself."

Me and Dreamer barely arrive back when she calls for us. Four hours up and about is enough to have me hungry. Plus those blackberries weren't that much of a help anyway. So I bring Dreamer back to his stall as quick as I possibly can so I can get something in my stomach more satisfying for my stomach. Torpedo is there, of course, and he's neighing furiously, and he's also kicking about. I really wonder how much longer it is going to take for him to calm down and grow to like us. Maybe he will never do so, he is a mustang after all. It is hard to tame a mustang, so I have been told by Pa himself. And I believe Pa. I always have. There is no reason in the world why he would lie like that.

"Emily, you comin'?" I hear Ma again as I leave the barn and close the door. I shout to her in response that I am coming.

At the table already are Tim, Chad, and Pa with beat red faces. I can tell easily that they have been working hard on that fence. But really, how hard can it be to do such a thing? I seat myself down next to Tim like I always do, and I help myself to a sandwich from the plate in the middle of the table. I begin to eat it, and I start to observe my family. Ma is sitting there, taking only a single sandwich as I do. The men each take two wolfing them down. Ma gets up from the table and heads over to the cabinet. She takes out five glasses and then goes to the fridge to get the pitcher of lemonade out. She pours the glasses and starts to hand them out. I get up from the table to assist her. We each gave the men their drinks first, then we gave ourselves our own.

"The fencin' comin' along?" I ask as I take a sip from the nice cold lemonade. It is just what I need to keep my hydrated. The heat doesn't get so bad in Minnesota. It just depends on what you do and how much of it you do.

"Oh," starts Chad, "It's comin' along fine. We finished ages ago. We just had a little trouble with Torpedo."

"Oh?"

"Hmmm," Pa responds, "Kinda got jealous when you let Dreamer out. He doesn't seem too fond of me not lettin' him out."

I nod with understanding. Ma continues to drink her lemonade without saying anything. Tim mimics the same thing. Well not so really mimics. Our meals usually consist of little talk, depending on how the day goes. We really don't use our meals as a type of social gathering. So really what time do we really spend as a family? That's the thing I start to notice a few weeks ago. I keep on planning to bring it up, but I fail to each time. I didn't want to do that. Everyone seems so happy the way things are. It will be horrible to disrupt that.

"So, tell me, Emily, what did you an' Dreamer do?" Pa asks me.

"Oh a little bit of this an' a little bit of that. I talked to him an' I swear he talked right back to me. It was like we are connected some how. It is really neat. I really think he can understand me an' I can understand him."

"That's nice dear," Ma says to me. It is as if she did not believe me about it.

"So, Tim," I say, changing the subject. "When are you gonna to the post office to drop off that letter to Sammy?"

"It's Samantha," he corrects me in a dignified way. "an' why do you want to know?"

"Curiosity killed the cat?" I ask rhetorically. "I just wanted to tag along that's all. Kinda wanted to go into town for a bit."

"Ma, do you have a problem with that?" he questions her.

"Not if Pa doesn't, do you dear?"

"Nope. As long as he stays by your side the whole time."

"But Pa-" I start to whine in despair. I felt that ain't fair at all. I mean I am a big girl, am I not? Why does he have to control me like that?

"No buts. It is the only way you are allowed to go."

Whenever Pa says something it is always final. You are never allowed to argue with him. What he says is a fact as well as law. Pa is never wrong when it comes to what he has to say about his own family. He knows what is best for us. Questioning Pa always brought trouble. I know better to keep my tongue to myself. I never really plan on going against his wishes. And I certainly know better than to sneak behind his back. Going to town with Tim meant going to the post office and that is it. No going around and seeing the different shops or talking to some of my friends I might wind up seeing. It is kind of disappointing how that our trip will only consist of that.

"Fine, okay Pa," I say without continuing on. I love him dearly, but really he can get on my nerves. Not much of a nerve anyway. For the most part we get along fine. There are some things though we are in dispute about. Just sort of mutually not right out in the open like some people might do. We don't agree on a few things that is it. Like the fact that I am not allowed to go on my own in town, or I am not allowed to go to the fort alone though it was never exactly said.

"Glad we see eye to eye. Dinner is gonna be at what time, Ma?"

"I should have it done at about four."

"Good, good. Be back at three then. You two can go, unless Chad, you would like to go with them?"

"I think I'm gonna take a little nap. I might be able to get some sleep without havin' my two sibling's 'round. So I'm gonna say my piece now an' take care of my plate an' head on upstairs. Any objections?"

"If you sleep long enough for Emily an' me to come up with another way to wake you up, then it is fine with me."

"Ma-" Chad starts to do his own style of whining.

"Now enough is enough," she says with a slight hint of anger, but no amusement attached at all. "Emily you are fifteen...almost sixteen. Chad you are as good as eighteen already, an' Tim you are what, twenty? I expect each of you to act your age. Tim an' Emily the first few times it is amusin' to wake Chad up the way you do. An' Chad do you really need to whine like that?"

"Now Ma-" Pa cuts in, as he tries to calm her down.

"But nothin'. Pa you firmly put your foot down when you feeling stron' 'bout somethin'. I should be able to do the same. I don't wanna hear any more on the matter. It ends now."

"So..." Chad says as he gets up and takes care of his dishes. "I'll see y'all in a bit okay?"

The rest of the meal is eaten in silence. I stare uncomfortably at both Ma and Pa. It is uncommon for them to have blow outs like that. It really isn't that big of a deal to them, but to me it is. It never crosses my mind that one day Ma and Pa could end up getting a divorce. I don't think it is possible for them to. They are in love with each other, that is that. Nothing...and I mean nothing...can break that at all. They are like two magnets with opposite poles being attracted to each other. They are opposite at all, far from it, it's the fact that they are attracted.

So with the lunch incident behind us, me and Tim head out to the post office. The drive there is about half an hour, giving us plenty of time to either chit-chat or listen to the radio. Which one it is going to be, I cannot rightly say. Tim and I have our differences but most of the time we get along.

I climb into the passenger seat of his old Chevrolet as soon as I wash up and get my hat. Tim is already there waiting for me. He starts the ignition, listening to the engine of his '82 truck. I never understand how he finds it so interesting to listen to. I find it to be an old piece of junk, but if I said that to him he would be mighty upset.

Pulling out of the dirt driveway, I look out of the rearview mirror back at the house. So full of memories, it dawns on me how much the house means to us. It's a two story house, faint with white paint. Pa's been saying for a while now how he's been meaning to put on a fresh coat. I kind of like it the way it is. It really doesn't need any paint at all. The way it looks now reminds us how old the house really is. The immediate land surrounding the house is almost flat, and the grass is neatly trimmed. Just beyond the back end of the house I can see the barn where the horses are kept. And just a little ways to the left is the fence where they go to be outside, the one the men worked on earlier today while I took care of the horses.

Turning around I see the end of the driveway, and the end of our land. A single tree as old, or even older as our house gave us so much imagination when we were younglings ourselves. We played many games there, using it for different things. That tree will always be there, I just somehow know that. Nothing will happen to it, I am sure.

"You are mighty quiet," comments Tim, I look at him and just grin.

"Just thinkin'," I reply back to him slyly.

"You're always thinkin'."

"More than you do," I playfully say to him. Of course I didn't really mean it.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2007 10:35 PM
Giggles
do you like the dark?

ok really gud
imma still mad...c i am a romance type person
i like romance..so get into gear there, alrite?

Old Post Jul 24th, 2007 08:21 PM
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

Romance isn't coming quite yet. I haven't even gotten to the reason why it is called My Summer Home yet either. stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 25th, 2007 01:59 AM
Giggles
do you like the dark?

lol alrite

Old Post Jul 25th, 2007 01:09 PM
Giggles
do you like the dark?

psot already

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 02:27 AM
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

I'm waiting for Danielle big grin

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 02:28 AM
Giggles
do you like the dark?

oh
is she ur buddy, tht u write with? embarrasment

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 02:34 AM
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

Nah. She's my twin and my best friend here. I am waiting for her to comment big grin

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 02:36 AM
Giggles
do you like the dark?

kwl

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 02:40 AM
Giggles
do you like the dark?

post plz

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 02:41 AM
xEsaulx
Bringer of Life

I just got done explaining how I'm waiting for Danielle erm

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 11:48 AM
danielle marie.
Bel Fan Club President

SORRY SORRY SORRY. My fault. I've been busy, and just now had time to read this.

Anyway, it's pretty good. I definetly love the description of the house.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2007 05:53 PM
danielle marie. is currently offline Click here to Send danielle marie. a Private Message Find more posts by danielle marie. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote