Just watched the last episode of the second season. Two words. FREAKING AWESOME!!! Seriosuly, im taking back anything bad ive ever said about this show! And its just second season! The only thing I dont like is art but its ok after you get used to it. Great action, awesome stories.
Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.
Now for my review of season 2, episode by episode.
1. Blueprints - Meh, a little slow, and the purple creatures(not to mention the stupid teddy bear) were as annoying as hell, but besides that? Not too bad opener. Mysterio was pretty cool. I still don't understand why they felt the need to change Mysterio's classic story. 3/5
2. Destructive Testing - Oh my lord. Easily the worst episode to date. Poorly paced, many characters acting more different than normal, and a god awful surprise twist. Seriously, what happened here? 1/5
3. Reinforcement - Way too cartoony, and puts all of the villains in a poor light. Wasn't impressed at all. 2/5
4. Shear Strength - Great finale to the worst storyline to date. Finally, we get to see the 'If This Be My Destiny' scene that is one of the best ever. Flat out awesome, along with the perfect return of Doctor Octopus! Still, the 'Master Plan' puns, the overall plan, and the big reveal were all forced and could've been done better. Also, the lift scene could've been done better animation wise, as I doubt anyone will remember it quite like the comic version of the scene. Still, slam dunk episode with some very badass scenes. 4/5
5. First Steps - Ok, now the show's back on top! DAMN! Everything in the episode blew me away! Loved Sandman(now officially one of the best animated Marvel villains to date), loved the fight scenes, loved Harry's return, and loved the surprise ending! So awesome! 5/5
6. Growing Pains - Nergasmic! I loved this comic story as it is, and they way it was used for the show was perfect! And that ending? One of the best cliffhangers in years! 5/5
7. Identity Crisis - Venom's back, baby! This was one heck of an episode, filled with constant shock value and surprises that never get old. And, of course, nothing's certain at the end! 5/5
8. Accomplices - The first sign of the gang makes for one awesome episode! And not to mention we finally get to see Hammerhead in action! 5/5
9. Probable Cause - Good episode, and I like the power-ups for the Enforcers. Fun story all around, and I never tire of Shocker. 5/5
10. Gangland - Easily one of my favorite episodes so far(definitely in the top five). Nothing but beautiful action and perfect dialogue! That rematch between Tombstone and Spider-Man was exactly what I wanted! 5/5
11. Subtext - Pretty good episode. I always liked the Molten Man, so this was a great surprise. However, the geek in me misses the "perma-body", but besides that and a few hits over the head with the moral? Very fun to watch. 4/5
12. Opening Night - WOW! I loved every minute of this! Everything was top notch here, and certainly the ultimate thirty minute knockout for anyone to watch! I have to say: The creators of the animated series should have been the writers for "Spider-Man 3". 5/5
13. Final Curtain - Oh....my....GOD! Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod! THAT WAS INCREDIBLE! I take back everything I said about the episode "The Uncertainty Principle"! New rating for that episode, and the highest one ever for this! This IS the Green Goblin in perfection! It's like they ripped him out of the comic for this! It was EXACTLY what my theory was! It's like the writers got inside of my head! 10/5!
Last edited by Mr. Rhythmic on Mar 25th, 2009 at 05:38 PM
I didn't like the ending to season 2 as much as I did the first, maybe it's because I just like Venom a lot more...Still I enjoyed the goblin's "death" the second half of the episode was the best, the first half just reminded me to much of the 90's TAS and it's censors.
I also enjoyed that little surprise made by Harry at the end and the constant guessing game of who was the goblin, nice to see Norman was as messed up as he is in the comics.
Only time will tell to see if Disney picks this show up for a 3rd season...
Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Mar 27th, 2009 at 12:22 AM
First post in a LONG time. I just got done watching the second season after a while of not even knowing it existed yet. All I have to say is AMAZING. It did start admittedly slow. But picked up in the greatest way near the middle.
This show is so awesome. What I like about this show is that it is not kiddish like most shows out there. I find it very mature which is a good thing. The 90s series had so much censorship. I would say Spectacular Spider-Man is difinitely in the top 5 most darkest cartoon shows ever.
Even though this show has some mature themes and what not, I'd hardly say that it's dark. In any case, the '90's series did have a lot of censorship, but it was still a great cartoon, no less, with some amazing storylines. I expect SSM to have stories just as good, and I hope the show goes on for a long time.
That show was so damn awesome, so I have to agree there. The stories should be great for the entirety of the show. I'm specifically looking forward to what else they'll do with Venom. He's been handled greatly thus far, and the reason for him being on the show makes sense and fits in perfectly. Plus, I love the fact that he & Peter were pretty much bestfriends until Peter made a few mistakes & Eddie went all psycho.
I find that to be completely untrue. The only time there's not a lot you can do with a character is when you're not all that creative, and the people behind this show are very creative, so I'd say there's a lot more that could be done with Venom.