KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Controversy rant

Controversy rant
Started by: Fawne

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Phantom
Angel of Music

quote: (post)
Originally posted by siriuswriter
And we'll also notice that JK Rowling has been very careful NOT to express any religious views, either in public or through her books.

When C.S. Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia, it was extremely clear that the books were a direct allegory to biblicial people. Aslan equaled Jesus, Edmund equaled the world of sinners, the White Witch equaled the devil, etc. He was very open about his faith, in fact, he published many theological works. He was not a person who separated those two things. Whether or not readers take The Chronicles as Christian or not is still up to them; there's certainly no C.S. Lewis standing over their shoulders, forcing them to think one way or another.

However, JK Rowling, I believe, is more trying to instill general virtues and values into the world, some of which happen to correspond with religious doctrine. Some of them don't.

I would argue that the moral of Harry Potter is not "Good v. Evil," but rather "Making the right decision instead of the easy one," or, more importantly, "CHOOSING to make the right decision over the easy one.

The bible, certainly, does not have such a simple moral. The bible doesn't even have a moral, in the definition of the word. It is supposed to be a guidebook for Christians to live by.

Sure, if you stretch things far enough, you can make the connections. You could say that Harry equals Jesus, if you wanted to.

But the same thing could be said for horoscopes. You can twist those things every which way until they "fit" what's going on in your life.

I think it's important to remember that JK did not "set out to write a Christian book," as C.S. Lewis did with his Chronicles, and J.R.R. Tolkein did with his Lord of the Rings (an indirect allegory, where the biblical characters show up in more than on LotR character, sort of like flashes).

So... yes. I don't really have a good way to end this...
Couldn't have been put better.

Thank you Neha for the sig!
This years Musical: Little Shop of Horrors (sig for it hopefully coming soon)

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 08:02 PM
The Phantom is currently offline Click here to Send The Phantom a Private Message Find more posts by The Phantom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Originally posted by The Phantom
Couldn't have been put better.

Yes, I do have a way of doing that, don't I? big grin

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 08:03 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Phantom
Angel of Music

Yes, I do have a way of doing that, don't I? big grin
Sometimes.

Thank you Neha for the sig!
This years Musical: Little Shop of Horrors (sig for it hopefully coming soon)

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 08:06 PM
The Phantom is currently offline Click here to Send The Phantom a Private Message Find more posts by The Phantom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

stick out tongue

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 08:11 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

And we'll also notice that JK Rowling has been very careful NOT to express any religious views, either in public or through her books.

And she was wise not too.

quote:
However, JK Rowling, I believe, is more trying to instill general virtues and values into the world, some of which happen to correspond with religious doctrine. Some of them don't.

She certainly is, but by naming C.S. Lewis as a "genius" and admitting that she could not be in a room with a Narnia book and not sit down and read it, she has named him a sort of mentor. While it is certainly obvious that she did not set out to write a "Christian" book, her traditionalist views have obviously influenced her writing. She set out to write Inkling literature and she has. It's wonderful.

quote:
I would argue that the moral of Harry Potter is not "Good v. Evil," but rather "Making the right decision instead of the easy one," or, more importantly, "CHOOSING to make the right decision over the easy one.

Is that not the very virtue of the Bible itself? That the world is not good and evil, that some of the plights are simply a story of temptation? Harry Potter, despite it's alleged "sloppy writing" seems to explore all kinds of themes, from good and evil, fighting over a neccesity, to a depiction of the "easy path".

quote:
Sure, if you stretch things far enough, you can make the connections. You could say that Harry equals Jesus, if you wanted to.

I don't see that conenction.

quote:
I think it's important to remember that JK did not "set out to write a Christian book," as C.S. Lewis did with his Chronicles, and J.R.R. Tolkein did with his Lord of the Rings (an indirect allegory, where the biblical characters show up in more than on LotR character, sort of like flashes).

It's very important to remember that. The morals, virtues and viewpoints are built on foundations of traditionalist western culture and are imprints of Christianity, whether intentionally or purely instinctive, are present in the Harry Potter series. I would consider myself agnostic, yet simply because "I'm not sure". I however, can admire greatly the artistry involed with the series. Through that you can really see the brilliance of her artistic allegory, the use of symbolism from the "ancient days" et cetera, et cetera and a foil to her critics who believe Harry Potter is sloppery written.

So... yes. I don't really have a good way to end this...
[/QUOTE]

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 11:02 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Member.

whoever denounces harry potter in the name of jesus christ is retarded.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 01:00 AM
Member. is currently offline Click here to Send Member. a Private Message Find more posts by Member. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tigress
Slash Queen Senior Member

OK bear with me I will get to my point I promise lol, first off Harry Potter is pure Fiction I have never understood why people of certain religions state its evil, second its purley good fighting evil, its what people think is evil that is the problem in most cases. That is usually what starts it off a main factor in fear is that humans in general fear what they do not understand, in relation to religion has anyone watched Dogma( which was written by a devout catholic I might add)? if yes they will understand this concept basically it is good to have beliefs and live morally sound but the problems start due to what another classes as wrong an Idea is better because an Idea can be changed and modernised but a belief vant, it drives me insane that there have been more wars and bloodshed about what each religion believes than anything else surley God or any gods depending on who believes what ( not flaming any religion this is just an opinion) would not want the people in his or their care to die suffering and needlessly. life is for living not fighting over who is right in their beliefs and who is wrong as long as you have good morals it doesnt really matter what you believe in as long as you can believe.

Like in the 5th book said if I can remember the quote right lol basically united we stand divided we fall if everyone came together and tried to fight against the problems this wold has instead of blaming each other for starting it off then we could sort the problems out before it jumps up and bites our future children on the ass and they blame us for doing nothing about it.

Gryffindors Official Hug Giver To All !!

UNI, DRACO MALFOY, ROGUE, MAIK, LIANSLO, AUROR_CHK, TASSIE MUSC
Gryffindor Prefect.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 10:12 AM
tigress is currently offline Click here to Send tigress a Private Message Find more posts by tigress Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

I will just list the common features between HP and JC

1. There are prophecies announcing the birth of Jesus
1.1 Prophecy is revealed about the birth of Harry
2. Jesus originates from a very old family tree (king David)
2.1 Harry originates from one of the oldest family (DH and how he inherits the cloak)
3. There were attempts to kill Jesus shortly after his births
3.1 VV tries to kill Harry almost a year after his birth
4. Jesus accepts that his destiny is to die voluntarily.
4.1 Harry accepts that he has to die voluntarily
5 Christians are protected by Jesus scarification
5.1 HP friends, teachers in the last battle were protected by the same matter
5. Jesus’ blood is shed to save the humanity, he sacrifices him self.
5.1 Harry sacrifices him self to save the others. Is the blood that was shed for him that protects him
6. The main message that Jesus brings in LOVE
6.1 The main message that HP series carry is love ( There is a power in the department of mystery stronger then anything; OOTP Dumbeldore )

$$$REMEMBER DUMBLEDORE$$$

R.I.P Headmaster Severus Snape

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Tigg, RebPhoe, Maika, Rogue, Sarant, ADarksideJedi, MUSC

Old Post Aug 16th, 2007 03:45 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

This is really stupid, the bible is as much a fictional story as Harry Potter is. Yet some people follow it as if it is the law.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2007 01:14 AM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Dresta
This is really stupid, the bible is as much a fictional story as Harry Potter is. Yet some people follow it as if it is the law.

Statement: Dresta's statement has been noted.

Statement: Dresta's statement has been backlogged due to irrelevance to the topic and being devoid of any redeemable content.

Statement: Christianity ties the use of real magic and the occult heavily to demons/demonic forces.

Statement: The use of real magic is seen as a "gateway" into the lives of people for demons/demonic forces in Christianity.

Statement: In the Harry Potter series, magic is prevalent throughout the books.

Conclusion: Some Christians believe that reading the books introduces the reader to the occult and thus opens the door to demons/demonic forces.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2007 10:01 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

Originally posted by FeceMan
Statement: Dresta's statement has been noted.

Statement: Dresta's statement has been backlogged due to irrelevance to the topic and being devoid of any redeemable content.

Statement: Christianity ties the use of real magic and the occult heavily to demons/demonic forces.

Statement: The use of real magic is seen as a "gateway" into the lives of people for demons/demonic forces in Christianity.

Statement: In the Harry Potter series, magic is prevalent throughout the books.

Conclusion: Some Christians believe that reading the books introduces the reader to the occult and thus opens the door to demons/demonic forces.

Your such a moron, there's no such thing as 'real magic', it doesn't exist, it is FICTIONAL. The Catholic church are a bunch of ****ing morons.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2007 11:12 PM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote