KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Order of the Pheonix - A real let down

Order of the Pheonix - A real let down
Started by: zombieman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
siriuswriter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Korosan
P.S. Where was Lupin in Ootp?! and since when has he a mustache!?

He was there, don't worry. smile And he had the mustache in PoA.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2007 10:29 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

I would have liked a lot more action and a little less of the emotional scenes.

I also would have liked more of the detaild events in the book to have been included into the movie.

Such as Firenze and his Forest-Like Classroom. I thought we were definitely going to see that once Prof. Trelawney was fired.

I did however like the scenes with Prof. Umbridge in them. Especially the ones opposing Prof. Dumbledore, McGonagall, and the other teachers at the school.

I would have definitely loved for Dumbledore's and Voldemort's battle at the end to have been much longer.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 01:10 AM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by siriuswriter
I agree with Barker - it topped PoA for me, which is an extremely hard thing to do.

OotP did what adaptations had to do - it took the IMPORTANT parts of the book, the things that were HARRY-CENTRIC, and made them into film-form. Even more importantly, OotP caught the spirit of the book, which PoA did, but in a much more artsy way that failed to appeal to the less sophisticated audience.

OotP managed to be both intelligent and entertaining - a rare feat in the world of movies today.

Very well said.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 02:09 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zombieman
The Undead

I disagree - I think Order of the Pheonix took the important parts of the book and completely messed them up. The Sirius death scene and Harry's heated and emotive exchanges with Dumbledore, were all emotionally flat. Not to mention the fact they failed to even mention what the Order of the Pheonix was and why it was important! It was a good job I had read the book.

On a completely different note, maybe I was just blind back when I read the book, but I only noticed the BLATANT hint that Sirius will return in the next book when I watched the film. When Luna tells Harry that the things she loses have a way of coming back to her when she least expects it; this was a clear indication that Sirius will return to Harry when he least expects it.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 07:17 AM
zombieman is currently offline Click here to Send zombieman a Private Message Find more posts by zombieman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Phantom
Angel of Music

Originally posted by zombieman
I disagree - I think Order of the Pheonix took the important parts of the book and completely messed them up. The Sirius death scene and Harry's heated and emotive exchanges with Dumbledore, were all emotionally flat. Not to mention the fact they failed to even mention what the Order of the Pheonix was and why it was important! It was a good job I had read the book.

On a completely different note, maybe I was just blind back when I read the book, but I only noticed the BLATANT hint that Sirius will return in the next book when I watched the film. When Luna tells Harry that the things she loses have a way of coming back to her when she least expects it; this was a clear indication that Sirius will return to Harry when he least expects it.
Not alive though. I think JKR, through the movie, has disproved Sirius coming back to him alive. Dead is a different story.

Thank you Neha for the sig!
This years Musical: Little Shop of Horrors (sig for it hopefully coming soon)

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 07:51 AM
The Phantom is currently offline Click here to Send The Phantom a Private Message Find more posts by The Phantom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SeanTerry727

I think it was simply HORIRID

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 04:17 PM
SeanTerry727 is currently offline Click here to Send SeanTerry727 a Private Message Find more posts by SeanTerry727 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

I'm sure we'll respond to that once we figure out what HORIRID means.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 07:42 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

I just saw the movie today. I'd give it a 7.5 / 10 but the movie definately left a LOT out that the book had which frustrated me. Loved Cho and Harry's kiss though!

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 07:44 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Phantom
Angel of Music

Really, I can sort of agree with complaining on stuff being left out. The movie was about 2 hours and 18 minutes I believe. Once more we could have had a longer movie. Then at least it wouldn't have seemed so rushed at certain parts.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 07:53 PM
The Phantom is currently offline Click here to Send The Phantom a Private Message Find more posts by The Phantom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by The Phantom
Really, I can sort of agree with complaining on stuff being left out. The movie was about 2 hours and 18 minutes I believe. Once more we could have had a longer movie. Then at least it wouldn't have seemed so rushed at certain parts.

But if you added more scenes and filler from the book, you'd be left with a choppier movie than what you started out with.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 09:28 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Phantom
Angel of Music

Originally posted by H. S. 6
But if you added more scenes and filler from the book, you'd be left with a choppier movie than what you started out with.
I don't think you understood the last part I said. I retract what I said about stuff being left out because I thought it was good for what they had, just choppy. Just extend the time so they could fix it all up and make it smoother.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 10:09 PM
exanda kane

Best movie of the series.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 10:09 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Right about now, I should include "by a long way" to convey the slightly smug look on my face when I watched it. Harry Potter has come along way.

While I find it hard to be so simplistic as to use a 1 to 10 scale for it's achievments, I don't see any other way.

The cinematography had a flair almost unprecendented in a a mainstream adaptation. 10 out of 10. While I knew Yates could handle material and get the best out of his actors, I wasn't sure David Yates could achieve the level of even Mike Newell, let alone the magnificent and often unsung Alfonso Cuaron. Those shots of the Thames, they left me exhilirated. I would argue that visually this effort was more intriguing than Cuaron's Prisoner of Azakaban. Credit to the director of photography.

The acting, while a cringeworthy deterrent in previous efforts was certainly only a few notches from the fabled "top notch". Yes, it can be expected that these young thesps would do well considering constant pressure and training, but really, I was suprised how well Daniel Radcliffe held the story in check. The other two, while Ron seemed to take the backseat, succeeded too. Credit to Imelda Staunton for such a great performance, and as usual to a great British ensemble cast. 8 out of 10.

Direction. David Yates kept me transfixed on the story. Unlike Chris Columbus, I wasn't thinking "Hey, did that 'appen in the book?", but instead "I liked the way they adapated that". Really, I felt Snape's Occlumency lessons began in a natural way. They felt, tense, urgent even, and dare I say it got me thinking a little about Snape's alliegence, with a particular emphasis on words by Rickman. While I was kept intrigued visually, I was also hooked into the narrative.

I would give it 7 out of 10, albeit an understandable 7 out of 10. Plot points were shifted, things I would liked to have experienced (St.Mungo's, Sirius' hymes, Buckbeak) were left out, but as I cited, they were so understandably.

As for the adapation of the book, it's a two sided coin. Purist's who do not understand that literature and film are very different mediums will be disappointed, as per usual, that the alluring Hogwarts lifestyle is played down alot. As said by Siriuswriter, the plot echoed in the film feature the important scenes. However, being liberal with the texts has made this a better film; a less congealed and obtrusive narrative is simplified and I think those who have not have read the series will be transfixed. It could go either way. 0 out of 10, or 10 out of 10.

On the subject of [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Sirius' death, I find it hard to believe that people think that the "right emotion" was not obvious. In fact, contrary to pursists, the film leaves a much more definite emotion than the book. In the book we are left feeling disenchanted, confused while in the film we get closure and the slight exposure of an explaination.

I think that Order of the Phoenix is the most faithful, yet the most liberal of the Harry Potters adaptations. All in all, I think Order of the Phoenix, as a film with it's own merits stands tall above it's predecessors.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 10:41 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Phantom
Angel of Music

Do you mind if I use that review for reference to my friends who disliked the movie for the reasons you said they would?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 10:47 PM
exanda kane

'Course, if you think it makes sense. Treated myself grandly to a few pints after the showing. Just to check me mind though - what did you feel, in the book, after [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Sirius' death?

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 11:05 PM
The Phantom
Angel of Music

Originally posted by exanda kane
'Course, if you think it makes sense. Treated myself grandly to a few pints after the showing. Just to check me mind though - what did you feel, in the book, after [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Sirius' death?
All remember as soon as I read that part. Still working on the books before book 7 comes out. I need to start reading a bit faster. I'm only about 200 pages in GoF. -_- I'll tell you as soon as I get to it though.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 11:14 PM
exanda kane

No worries beer

Old Post Jul 13th, 2007 11:27 PM
The Phantom
Angel of Music

Originally posted by exanda kane
No worries beer
Yes worries. Barely 8 days...

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 12:05 AM
exanda kane

Yep and end of. Will people stop talking about it? Probably not, irrespective of it's a movie forum. Hopefully all the "theories" will stop.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 12:07 AM
Korosan
Your Best Friend

I agree with most of what exanda kane said especially the part about literature and film being two different mediums. Not every part will be exactly like the book but at least OotP kept to many of the key points even if it didnt show everything everyone wanted to see. What annoys me (while I haven't seen anyone here say it) is people who say "OMG That isn't what the character looks like AT ALL! OMG" Like if they pictured snape with much much shorter hair...even tho I don't think Lupin was supposed to have a mustache lol at least from what I recall from descriptions but i could be wrong lol

Old Post Jul 14th, 2007 03:20 AM
Korosan is currently offline Click here to Send Korosan a Private Message Find more posts by Korosan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote