KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Order of the Pheonix - A real let down

Order of the Pheonix - A real let down
Started by: zombieman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Problem_Child

i liked it but it went too fast and too many important things were taken out

Old Post Jul 18th, 2007 02:43 AM
Problem_Child is currently offline Click here to Send Problem_Child a Private Message Find more posts by Problem_Child Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
potcfan2003

I think that they replayed the same scenes, (the ones when Snape broke into Harry's mind) at least every 10 minutes.this movie is the worst of the 5 bc-

1.THey shut out the whole beginning, and so Harry seemed disturbed

2. The fight scene was pathetic.

3.I wanted to see the chracters taken down 1 by 1 like the book.

4. Grimmould place looked like crap. It was supposed to be a mansion, and it looked like crud

5. They put in scenes that never happened

6. In the Voldy/Dumbledore fight, they cut out the statues coming to life.

thank you to Mrs.Fish for the siggy!!

Old Post Jul 21st, 2007 02:25 PM
potcfan2003 is currently offline Click here to Send potcfan2003 a Private Message Find more posts by potcfan2003 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nickey
Fallen Angel

I absolutely love it.

They really meant it when they said it was the best movie of the summer.

I went to see it for the 4th time yesterday!
My mom HATES Harry Potter, but she absolutely loved the movie. Especially the battle scene. Total Awesomeness!

I just adore that movie!

My mouth was literally hanging at the end of the movie!

It was just TOTAL AWESOMENESS!

Thanks Neha for the sig!

Old Post Jul 21st, 2007 10:32 PM
Nickey is currently offline Click here to Send Nickey a Private Message Find more posts by Nickey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

I'm watching the movie over the internet right now, I just really want to see what the Department of Mysteries is like.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Jul 26th, 2007 04:13 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Re: Order of the Pheonix - A real let down

quote: (post)
Originally posted by zombieman
When I first read the book back when it was released, I can remember thinking it was decent, if a little bogged down by excess filler material. The way was paved for a potentially excellent film adaptation - skip over the filler and focus on the thrilling set pieces. With the Goblet of Fire movie proving to be a fine and faithful adaptation, I couldn't see them going far wrong with OOTP - I was much mistaken.

This is a hollow and soulless version of the fifth installment of the Potter series. The filmmakers made an such unholy mess of the books key scenes! Sirius's death and the character's reaction to it had a about as much emotion as a frozen Moscow lake. The exchanges between Harry and Dumbledore were tepid compared to those in the novel, and the significance of the prophesy was almost downplayed.

There were some positives - the quality of the kid's acting is on the up; but surely that much is expected given the amount of acting classes they are forced to attend on a daily basis. All the usual suspects do a job in their roles once again, but the likes of Alan Rickman et al have precious little screen time this time round.

All in all, i'd say this is the most disappointing installment so far. I wasn't expecting much from the first two, but three and four set high standards. This latest installment falls well short of them.

Agreed. Book 5 was probably my least favourite but I could see that being easily made into a film adaption. Especially the Dumbledore vs Voldemort scene. I thought that the movie was pretty poor.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2007 10:56 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SkinWalker

I liked it, but I don't think it topped GOF.

-Halle Berry's Biggest Fan.:.Thanks Piggle Humsy-

Old Post Jul 28th, 2007 04:52 PM
SkinWalker is currently offline Click here to Send SkinWalker a Private Message Find more posts by SkinWalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

I think it was better than the fourth movie. I actually think that it was the best movie out of all of them so far, even though it didn't follow the book as much as the other movies.

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 12:18 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

I liked the movie overall. There were a few scenes I thought should have been in the movie, though, that would have made it better.

The whole Percy leaving his family for the Ministry was left out, which means him coming back in movie 7 will be non-existent also.

They never showed Snape in Grimmauld Place working for the Order, so we never get that confidence in him that he's Dumbledore's man, so his "betrayal" in the next book isn't going to be as emotional.

Finally, I would have loved to seen McGonagall and Umbridge argue over Harry's future as an Auror. That would have been entertaining.

Oh, and a minor gripe about the last fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort. In the book, Dumbledore seemed more calm and in control of things. We now know why because of the last book. In the movie, he seemed very nervous about the outcome. But that's just a small complaint.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 01:40 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

Originally posted by celestialdemon
I liked the movie overall. There were a few scenes I thought should have been in the movie, though, that would have made it better.

The whole Percy leaving his family for the Ministry was left out, which means him coming back in movie 7 will be non-existent also.

They never showed Snape in Grimmauld Place working for the Order, so we never get that confidence in him that he's Dumbledore's man, so his "betrayal" in the next book isn't going to be as emotional.

Finally, I would have loved to seen McGonagall and Umbridge argue over Harry's future as an Auror. That would have been entertaining.

Oh, and a minor gripe about the last fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort. In the book, Dumbledore seemed more calm and in control of things. We now know why because of the last book. In the movie, he seemed very nervous about the outcome. But that's just a small complaint.

Wow, you bring up some really good points! All of those things really would've been great if they were in the movie, especially the part about the McGonagall-Umbridge argument.

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 02:19 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Charlie8

From the sounds of it some people are just too picky, quite frankly it was my favourite film by far and I absolutely loved it, the directing was superb and if some of you knew how hard it was to take a book like that to screen, I'm sure you wouldn't be complaining as much. I thought it was absolutely superb.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 02:53 PM
Charlie8 is currently offline Find more posts by Charlie8 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surreal_44

Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
Acting: 6/10

The acting wasn't horendous in this one, but was not good at all. Umbridge, Luna and Bellatrix each award this movie 2 points for thier amazing acting talent. All three acted exactly as I thought they should. Luna was very dreamy, Bellatrix was psychotic and Umbridge was a complete ****. Perfect. However, it seems that some of the main characters cannot seem to grasp the concept that emotion needs to be conveyed to the audience. In scenes where they are supposed to be in a heated argument or angry about something, they speak the lines as though bored. This includes Harry and Hermione (which I'm surprised because she always delivers). Ron didn't have many lines though, which was also a surprise.

Well, I'm not sure when anyone was supposed to have a heated argument. I felt the actors did a fine job. Daniel Radcliffe especially seems to have improved. When Sirius died my heart ached for Harry, his pain was so realistic.

quote:
Directing: 3/10

I am clinging to the hope that the director had been drugged and the movie was sabotaged, however that is unlikely. Yates should have not dropped so many key plot details just so that he could drag on scenes that were boring as hell. He got 3 points because he could at least get the story off the ground (kinda like a train). Even though he didn't realize the tracks were broken and the train careened into a valley, he tried to save it. Grimmauld place didn't look like a mansion, looked kinda like shit. There are just so many problems with the directing. As a director, Yates's job is to oversee every aspect of the film, which he obviously can't handle.

Give an example, please. What key plot details? The only key plot detail that should have been in the film was the locket, and I think that is going to be taken care of in the next film.

Grimmauld place is NOT a mansion; it's not ever, to my knowledge, described as a mansion. And it's supposed to look like shit. All the surrounding houses look awful, and in the book Grimmauld place is not exactly home sweet home. It's filthy and gross and scary. It was perfect in the film.

What else did you feel was utterly wrong? Give an example of poor directing.

quote:
Casting: 5/5

One thing I liked was the casting. This was brilliant. All the actors fit their role perfectally. Some of the old actors may not have improved, but they all looked the part and many acted it well. Like I said earlier, the newer charaters were expertly chosen and in my opinion, there was noone better for those roles.

At last we agree. wink

quote:
Effects: 4/5

The effects were very cool. The only bummer is that I expected much more new stuff, whereas I ended up seeing the same shit. The one point loss is for this reason stated and that the veil was done wrong. This isn't stargate bitchez. The scenes in the Hall of Prophecies (however brief they were) and the Dumbledore/Voldemort fight scenes had great effects. (not to say that that made the scene itself good). I'd also like to add that scenes jumped from one to the other. It was very amateur-like. One second they would be talking about something, and inexplicably everyone involved knew about it and have some sort of plan. One second they were on thestrals, and the next they were in the ministry, just like that. No explanation for the alck of security, nothing.

The scenes did jump, but I don't think it was as confusing as you imply. It's not that difficult to assume certain things take place off-screen. Why would we need every single detail put into the film; you already stated that too much uninteresting stuff happened, but you want more exposition?

quote:
Plot Conveyed: 5/10

The main plot was conveyed: Harry has weird dreams, gets the prophecy, done. The deeper plot however, was completely forgotten. Most of the action in Grimmauld place was completely left out and the interesting scenes were unbelievably brief. The fight scenes were altogether udner ten minutes, and the kids only ran away and really didn't do any fighting. Nobody but Sirius got hurt, which wasn't at all depressing. He didn't even fall backwards into the veil like he was supposed to, he was kinda sucked into it by the playdoh-jelly like substance. There were also many plot holes. For example: Why couldn't anyone but Hary touch the prophecy? Hoe exactly did Bellatrix escape?Why did Dumbledore's wand connect with Voldemorts? That only happens with Voldemaort and Harry's wand. What happened with Snape and James? Also, things that didn't need to be changed from the book were (not to mention forgotten facts). Why would they make Cho the traitor? Didn't Snape give Umbridge fake veritaserum? What about Rita Skeeter? Firenze?

The deeper plot was the Ministry and its attempts to control the school and to prevent people from finding out the truth, all of which was conveyed perfectly.

As I mentioned, the only really important thing is the locket; as for the rest of Grimmauld place, I think we saw enough of it. I didn't need to see endless cleaning and have Sirius being grumpy. Those were some of the worst parts of the book, in my opinion.

The fight scene in the books was way too long. It had to be trimmed down, or else it would have been an added 30 minutesAlso, they had to convey somehow how Harry fights Voldemort. Having his friends show up and giving Harry the strength to fight him off was important.

The kids did a pretty good job of fighting. They did run, but they fought. It was more believable in the book, and I thought the fight served it's purpose, without all the kids injuring themselves.

I liked Sirius's death; it was sudden, shocking, and unsettling. Better than falling through a curtain, which is anti-climatic to me. Not that I cared much in the book; I was happy when Sirius died, he was such a prat.

Plot holes: Harry can touch the prophecy because it's about him. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in the film. Bellatrix escapes by floo network. Dumbledore's spell and Voldemort's spell connected briefly, but it's not the same was when twin wands connect. We saw what happened with Snape and James.

What do you mean, Snape gave Umbridge fake Veritaserum? He did not give her any because she had used up the entire bottle when she tried to use it on Harry before. Using Cho as the scapegoat has been explained very well. Rita and Firenze were fun elements to OotP but totally unnecessary to the story.

Do you have any complaints that actually support your opinion on why the film sucks, or are you just hating the film because it's not in exact detail exactly like the book?

quote:

Total: 57/100

Overall I didn't like this movie. I'll buy the DVD, but just for the sake of having all 5. I can't recommend you don't see it, but just don't go in with high expectations. If you haven't read the book, plan to be lost on certain things that aren't explained. If you have read the book, you will leave PISSED. Also, don't expect huge fight scenes like the said. We only see one death eater go down, and one good guy go down, in a total of about 7 minutes of fighting.

My best friend has never cracked open a Harry Potter book, and she's had no problems following the films. Any of them. She especially enjoyed OotP, had no trouble with the plot, and of the things I've told her about, she only wishes we could have seen the locket. So the idea that you must read the books to get the film is not true at all. smile

~Banner made by JES, avatar made by Veronica_Rich. Thanks, girls!!~

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 03:33 PM
Surreal_44 is currently offline Click here to Send Surreal_44 a Private Message Find more posts by Surreal_44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

I don't think you need to read the books to be able to follow the films, but you most definitely lose out on a lot if you don't erm

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 08:28 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surio
I wish magic was real. :(

I disagree, I actually rather liked the movie. As an adaptation of the book, it wasn't great, but as a movie, I thought it was pretty good. The acting was okay, Evana Lynch played brilliantly as Luna, she had the spaced out light voice, and pulled it off perfectly. Whoever played Umbridge was also pretty good. I laughed alot in the movie, which was surprising, and the main story was all there. Sure, I was dissapointed not to see quidditch (sp?) or Ron and Hermione being the head boy and girl, and I'd have liked to see more of Luna's conspiracy theories.

Overall, I liked this movie, and I watched it twice. So yes, it was a less than average adaptation, but a good movie.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 09:41 PM
Surio is currently offline Click here to Send Surio a Private Message Find more posts by Surio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Infinity
Big Boss

Originally posted by Surio
I disagree, I actually rather liked the movie. As an adaptation of the book, it wasn't great, but as a movie, I thought it was pretty good. The acting was okay, Evana Lynch played brilliantly as Luna, she had the spaced out light voice, and pulled it off perfectly. Whoever played Umbridge was also pretty good. I laughed alot in the movie, which was surprising, and the main story was all there. Sure, I was dissapointed not to see quidditch (sp?) or Ron and Hermione being the head boy and girl, and I'd have liked to see more of Luna's conspiracy theories.

Overall, I liked this movie, and I watched it twice. So yes, it was a less than average adaptation, but a good movie.

NOOB I'm going to stalk u ..

anyways the movie was sh*t.

it didn't show harry's fit after siris(rip) died.

it didnt have much of the things in the book

nothing on the pensieve and tonks' role was so small that i barfed a bit in my mouth.

acting was ok. Death eaters looked like a bunch of members of the KKK but with black hats instead of white.

terrible adaptation of the book

new director ----- > go die

--

btw was jkr even involved in the movie? was she overseeing it, coz it seems to me that she giving the rights to a bunch of dckheads to make the movie and they keep on fking it up

:: just my 2 cents

Last edited by Infinity on Jul 31st, 2007 at 11:11 PM

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 11:09 PM
Infinity is currently offline Click here to Send Infinity a Private Message Find more posts by Infinity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surio
I wish magic was real. :(

Originally posted by Infinity
NOOB I'm going to stalk u ..

nothing on the pensieve and tonks' role was so small that i barfed a bit in my mouth.

acting was ok. Death eaters looked like a bunch of members of the KKK but with black hats instead of white.

--

btw was jkr even involved in the movie? was she overseeing it, coz it seems to me that she giving the rights to a bunch of dckheads to make the movie and they keep on fking it up

:: just my 2 cents

I can see why you didn't like it, but like I said, it was a poor adaptation, but I thought it was a good movie.

And yes, I think she was involved.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 11:43 PM
Surio is currently offline Click here to Send Surio a Private Message Find more posts by Surio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

No.

quote:

Why does it need to? II is pretty self explanatory.

quote:

Congratulations. You have unintentionally made the distinction between a novel and a film.

quote:

I'd argue that the pensieve wasn't needed and Tonks only has a small role.

quote:

And why shouldn't they be? The parallels between Death Eater's and the KKK are not simply accidental.

quote:

Which makes it the best film. It is no longer a low rate, two-bit adapation of the book. It is a film in it's own right.

quote:

At least it's not that idiot Chris Columbus. David Yates, in my opinion, is second only to Alfonso Cauron. So you may wish him to die, but he has directed the best Harry Potter movie yet. Well done to him.

--

quote:
:: just my 2 cents [/B]

Your 2 cents they may be, but I think I'll just come and take away your lunch money every day from now on.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 11:50 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Infinity
Big Boss

.. did u read the book?

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 12:17 AM
Infinity is currently offline Click here to Send Infinity a Private Message Find more posts by Infinity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

I've been to see the film twice now, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it both times, it's not completely true to the book but that really doesn't matter to me, it's a wonderfully entertaining film, with much improved acting across the board.

Best film on the series by far and made from a book that I didn't enjoy greatly in comparison to others in the series.

Last edited by §P0oONY on Aug 1st, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 12:27 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

.. did u read the book?

Did you read the responses to your comments??

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 12:42 AM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Infinity
Big Boss

sry u hurt my feelings. not. the movie was so off comparedto the book. thats all that matters.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 01:15 AM