KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Robin sucks and should take a walk

Robin sucks and should take a walk
Started by: Locard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Wally West
Fastest Man Alive

If the whole concept of Robin didn't work or ruined the character of Batman, it wouldn't still be around and used in pretty much every incarnation of Batman some 60+ years later. Many of the best Batman stories features a Robin, and the best non-comic medium of Batman, TAS, used Robin very well (Robin's Reckoning is probably the very best episode TAS ever did).

Hes not going anywhere anyway, Batman & Robin is to ingrained into pop culture, you ask 1000 people to name someone or something associated with Batman and 90% will say Robin, not the Joker, not Catwoman, Alfred, Gotham, Batmobile etc. If DC had a big four, it would be Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Robin.

Last edited by Wally West on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 07:46 PM

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 07:43 PM
Wally West is currently offline Click here to Send Wally West a Private Message Find more posts by Wally West Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shadow speed

The Gay Accusations come from people who looked back into the old magazines when Robin first joined Batman. His Costume is very Camp when You look back at it now. Robin Had no tights he wore what looked like briefs. I can see where poeple are coming from when they say hes gay but i think he is always underated below Batman.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2007 09:41 PM
shadow speed is currently offline Click here to Send shadow speed a Private Message Find more posts by shadow speed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Robin's parents were murdered when he's just a boy.

Batman's parents were murdered when he was just a boy.

Hello?

It's simple really, Bruce takes him in because he understands where he's coming from.

Robin angry and pissed at the world like Chris O' Donnels Forever version would be good if it was in a teenage character actor.... say like, Hayden Christensen! stick out tongue

No, really, with a good actor like Shia Le Beouf it could be great! shifty

I'm teasing, Robin's not that bad, if handled right but I still prefer Batman by himself.

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Aug 6th, 2007 07:34 PM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Robin's parents were murdered when he's just a boy.

Batman's parents were murdered when he was just a boy.

Hello?

It's simple really, Bruce takes him in because he understands where he's coming from.

Robin angry and pissed at the world like Chris O' Donnels Forever version would be good if it was in a teenage character actor.... say like, Hayden Christensen! stick out tongue

No, really, with a good actor like Shia Le Beouf it could be great! shifty

I'm teasing, Robin's not that bad, if handled right but I still prefer Batman by himself.

Shia may be a good choice when Robin shows up in a future Batman movie. By the way, nice sig.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 6th, 2007 07:41 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
raysch

Without Robin, a Batman movie franshice would just not be complete.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 04:47 AM
raysch is currently offline Click here to Send raysch a Private Message Find more posts by raysch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Locard
barely speaking english

"Some of the best Batman stories ever told features Robin?"

I totally disagree on that, in fact , NONE of my favorite Batman stories features Robin (unless he appears just in one or two panels)

I've always liked way more the stories with Batman alone, as the likes of year one, without Dickies or Timmys screwing the atmosphere around with their acrobacies, colorfurl costumes and teenage talk. I like Batman as an obsessed, dark, driven vigilante, never as a father figure for anyone, never as a costumed acrobat swinging on a rope with a dumb kid who idolizes him by his side, and i know many people agree with me

Take a look a these images, think about them not as images, but as concepts, and you'll see what i mean, they simply dont get along well

BATMAN

(please log in to view the image)

ROBIN

No ...just...no

Damn, i did read Detective comics no.27 some time ago.

Despite the dumb looking drawing, the Batman comic was intended to be darker from the very beginning! people got shot in the head, Batman killed a guy in that issue, punching him and making him fall to a chemical waste tank (even if that was retconned later)

How could we forget what Robin did to the Batman concept some issues later?

Last edited by Locard on Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Old Post Dec 14th, 2007 10:37 AM
Locard is currently offline Click here to Send Locard a Private Message Find more posts by Locard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by JediSamuraiMRB
Robin is a cool character. Dick Grayson was the best Robin. Tim Drake is a good Robin also.

co signed except for the part on tim drake.Dick greyson is the one and only true Robin and people who dont like Robin are not true Batman fans.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2007 05:08 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

If not for robin i would not be a batman fan!

My brother is a year and a half older ,he was 6ft tall at 12 years old, i was always robin to his batman, i even had the robin underoos lol

Funny story, i got hit by a car when i was little(not funny part) when i was taken to the hospital, i would not let them undress me, the nurse asked me over and over and when i said yes, she saw i had the robin underoos on and said" dont worry i wont give up your secret identity" she actually said things like its ok i know why you did not want to let us undress you etc, and treated me as i was robin lol

Some memories are golden

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Last edited by starlock on Dec 19th, 2007 at 06:10 PM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 06:06 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

I really like Tim Drake; I don't think he ruins anything. Dick's okay, too; he went through this horrible whiny phase during his late-Robin period, and he had some terrible writing in his Nightwing comic, but he's pretty cool overall. Jason was annoying when he was alive; after he was dead, it was annoying listening to Batman mope about it; and now that he's back alive, he's still annoying. Oh well. Two out of three isn't bad, I guess.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 12:15 AM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sindahouse

Its an interesting debate. I guess it really depends what you like about Batman. If you like him as the obsessed work alone, grumpy character, than Robin aint gonna work for you. However if you are aware of his obsession, and respect that he still takes the time to have sympathy for a boy that has suffered the same circumstances that he did, than you will appreciate Robin. Robin brings out the more "human" side of batman.. Sympathetic, fatherly concern. I think its re-assuring to see that side of Batman. Even though I must admit, I prefer to see him working on his own, its comforting to know that "Bats" can still take the time to have some human emotion and compassion. Face it, without Robin, Batman would've become a lot darker. Perhaps too dark.. Robin is necessary to the mental well being of Batman.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2007 12:45 PM
sindahouse is currently offline Click here to Send sindahouse a Private Message Find more posts by sindahouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrCampion
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think we could easily go without Robin for a another movie or two.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 01:04 AM
MrCampion is currently offline Click here to Send MrCampion a Private Message Find more posts by MrCampion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sindahouse

Originally posted by endrict
I see your point Sin, But he can get a better sidekick then Robin or Nightwing(Robin)

yeh true that. robin looks too nerdy. nightwing looks alright though. well the newer looking nightwing anyway. didn't like the original yellow and blue look. the blue and black is better. but robin?? well if its gonna be robin, make a darker looking suit.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 01:07 AM
sindahouse is currently offline Click here to Send sindahouse a Private Message Find more posts by sindahouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by MrCampion
I think we could easily go without Robin for a another movie or two.

yeah I would be okay with that just as long as he is in a sequal by the fourth film.its imperative that he at least is in the third sequal,the FOURTH film.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 08:38 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MrCampion
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree, they should bring him in at some point, as long as they are more careful with the character this time. If they can get an actor who can play it a little more like The animated series and less of B&R Robin that will be fine with me.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 08:41 PM
MrCampion is currently offline Click here to Send MrCampion a Private Message Find more posts by MrCampion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

yeah get some kind of actor to play it like they did it in the animated series and for god sakes,someone who isnt so damn old this time who looks the same age as Bruce Wayne for crying out loud. mad

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 08:48 PM
MrCampion
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes sir, they need someone noticeably younger for Robin. Robin is meant to be a sort of apprentice to Batman so they need a more noticeable age drop. I don't know the ages of Kilmer or Clooney compared to Chris O'Donnell, but Chris did look a bit old for playing Robin to me.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 08:54 PM
Mr Parker

well kilmer and Clooney were in their mids 30's at that time and o'donnel was in his mid 20's but o'donnel looks older than that.It was such a joke in batman forever when Kilmer said to alfread-take care of the kid.O'donnel hurt the integrity of the film big time because like i said,he looked about the same age as kilmer and clooney and hear kilmer is calling him a kid. laughing and geez,it was so damn obvious he was wayyyyyy too old to be adopted. roll eyes (sarcastic)

schumacher had his head up his ass on the casting of o'donnel back then.ANYBODY would have been an improvement over o'donnel.you know who would have been the PERFECT casting choice back then? SCOTT WEINGER of full house.google in-pics of scott weinger and you'll see what I mean. smile or someone like fred savage,ANYONE like that who was much younger.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Dec 26th, 2007 at 09:31 PM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 09:28 PM
JackieCD

Robin is the gay guy everyone loves to hate.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 11:43 PM
JackieCD is currently offline Click here to Send JackieCD a Private Message Find more posts by JackieCD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
reaLest a.

I agree with Locard on this one. The robin character is completely unnecessary to the batman mythology. Batman is the dark knight, vengeance of the night who comes from the shadows to terrorize criminals. So the addition of a teenage boy wearing bright red, yellow and green outfit makes no since. His character is completely campy (gay) and should be killed of entirely. Tim Burtens batman were epic movies. Joel Shomacher's version killed the franchise.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2011 08:42 AM
reaLest a. is currently offline Click here to Send reaLest a. a Private Message Find more posts by reaLest a. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by raysch
Without Robin, a Batman movie franshice would just not be complete.

The two worst Batman movies to date are the two that had Robin!

Robin can have a place with Batman, but not in the old fashioned teenage sidekick way. He should train him only becasue he will need an eventual successor; that's why. And his outfit should be designed to look more like Red Robin. Why is Batman going out in a costume with lots of body armour, while Robin is exposed in all the vital areas?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 20th, 2011 06:15 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote