KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » If you became Editor in Chief of Marvel

If you became Editor in Chief of Marvel
Started by: Blight

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Deadline
Need to read up on, but all the things I've seen posted from the comic I haven't seen anything racist.

Would you at least agree he's Afrocentric?

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 05:39 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Originally posted by basilisk
Just trying to shake up the status quo and bring some much needed fresh air into the House of Ideas.

Really, are any of those ideas worse than:
"Let's have Spider-Man make a deal with Mephisto to retcon his marriage out of existence and thereby wreck Spider-Man's character and continuity pretty much for good!"
"Let's get rid of half our main characters and put them into a separate pocket universe where they are written and drawn by Rob Liefeld!!!"
"Let's have Tony Stark suddenly go nuts and start killing Avengers, then turn it into some big dumb event story where he was corrupt all along, but doesn't make a huge amount of sense, even though it tried to explain older stuff that didn't really make sense to begin with, then lose the readers' interest completely, then retcon it all in a way that makes even less sense, but lets us sweep the original story under the rug and forget about it, but have Tony killed at the end, then bring him back as Teen Tony, then retcon that and bring him back and forget it all ever happened!!! Then turn him into a dick in Civil War!!!"
"Let's have Gwen Stacey have a retcon affair with Norman Osborn, and then have his kids!"
"Let's have Spider-Man a member of two Avengers teams, and the Fantastic Four - at the same time!"
"Let's give Deadpool three or four monthly titles. That way we're sure to be able to keep the quality of the material up and everyone will grow to love the character, because he will always be hilarious and in your face!"
"Ultimates 3!!! That script is a winner guys let's do it!!"
thumb up

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 05:52 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

I'd have Spiderpussy killed for good.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 10:01 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 10:09 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Yes. Because pissing off and alienating the lion's share of your fanbase to propitiate a relatively small number of butthurt haters is a sound long term market strategy. smile

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 11:14 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Deadline
Need to read up on, but all the things I've seen posted from the comic I haven't seen anything racist.

He made several pretty obvious racial scenes/comments in his books. Like the Black Panther one at the gathering, where the white news reporter is acting like it's a riot, and the black guy is treating it like it's a party.

then how he treated Cap, iirc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 4th, 2011 11:58 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

I'd make the pantheons more robust. Portray Ares as a skyfather who psychically feeds off of war like his DC counterpart. Have Phobos be a frightening god. etc etc. I'd have guys like Tyr and Heimdall as equals of Thor, if not surpass him.

I'd make Balder a tactical genius and not a fighter, and I'd actually give him proper invulnerability in the 9 worlds. etc etc.

I would amp up the cosmic scene by actually bringing a corps similar to the green lantern corps (that means more powerful than what the Nova corps was).

I'd give Star Lord his own title.

I just don't feel Marvel has enough variety with its cosmic threats. I mean look at the Chaos War, or guys like the Celestials (I'd put them on the shelf).

I'd amp up the Eternals and create new Eternals characters to shake things up and have them play more of a role in the cosmos. I'd generally just leave their Earth titles alone, just seem too convoluted from my vantage point.

I would reduce the power of most of the mutants, and scrap the idea of omega mutants. A mutants powerset should tell the whole story. Iceman manipulates ice (it's a powerful gift actually, I won't try to expand it by making him an "Omega" level guy). Magento, magnetism. Jean Grey, TK & TP, no pheonix host. Rogue can only siphon power after a long exposure and then only keep it for a brief period, she's be a flying brick for the most part.

Right down to guys like Franklin Richards, I'd reduce all their powers. The only guys who should be super powerful through natural means, are gods, aliens. The only super powerful humans are guys who would've been endowed with special energies through tech, magic or accidents.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Last edited by Allankles on Apr 5th, 2011 at 01:15 AM

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 01:04 AM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I'd ban PIS and CIS, and I'd start by simplifying open powersets, ie, by specifying rules why characters can or can't do certain things at certain times. I'd do this at DC too.

I'd also stick closer to RL physics.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 12:35 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Mindship
I'd ban CIS

Huh?

You would make all characters mindless murderers?

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 02:10 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by Mindship
I'd ban PIS and CIS, and I'd start by simplifying open powersets, ie, by specifying rules why characters can or can't do certain things at certain times. I'd do this at DC too.

I'd also stick closer to RL physics.
so basically, you'd ruin comics.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 02:14 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

Originally posted by Allankles
I'd make the pantheons more robust. Portray Ares as a skyfather who psychically feeds off of war like his DC counterpart. Have Phobos be a frightening god. etc etc. I'd have guys like Tyr and Heimdall as equals of Thor, if not surpass him.

I just don't feel Marvel has enough variety with its cosmic threats. I mean look at the Chaos War, or guys like the Celestials (I'd put them on the shelf).

I'd amp up the Eternals and create new Eternals characters to shake things up and have them play more of a role in the cosmos. I'd generally just leave their Earth titles alone, just seem too convoluted from my vantage point.

I would reduce the power of most of the mutants, and scrap the idea of omega mutants. A mutants powerset should tell the whole story. Iceman manipulates ice (it's a powerful gift actually, I won't try to expand it by making him an "Omega" level guy). Magento, magnetism. Jean Grey, TK & TP, no pheonix host. Rogue can only siphon power after a long exposure and then only keep it for a brief period, she's be a flying brick for the most part.

Right down to guys like Franklin Richards, I'd reduce all their powers. The only guys who should be super powerful through natural means, are gods, aliens. The only super powerful humans are guys who would've been endowed with special energies through tech, magic or accidents.

I think it would be a good idea to bump the pantheons back up a bit in power to get them back to the sort of feel they had in early Marvel. Back when they felt more godly, mythical, and powerful, and not some bunch of guys who can get invaded and taken out by a bunch of super-villains. I'd pretty much put a hold on any mortals raid Olympus, Asgard type stories.

I would cut back on the Celestials and make it so no writers messed everything up by trying to explain every damn thing about them. Learn to leave a bit of mystery in the Marvel Universe and leave it that some things are just beyond the understanding of humans, no trite explanations needed.

Powering down most of the mutants is a good idea as they got out of hand. And I'd really just stop any of this superheroes take on Celestials and Galactus type crap (unless the heroes get totally owned).

No more going back in continuity to rehash old stories and explain/change every little thing. Did we really need the writer of Avengers Academy to revisit a classic story like the Korvac saga and say "oh no that's not what happened, this guy did this because of this and that wasn't what actually happened" and kind of ruin some of the classic moments in that story? Now people can't even read the originals of some of these stories without thinking "ah but that wasn't true and that didn't happen like that and none of these characters actually died there and that wasn't really the motivation behind it." It's lazy crap. Tell writers to build on continuity or tell their own stories. Retcon stuff should be reserved for disasters like OMD, Sins Past, and Teen Tony/Murderer Tony.

Rule: Nobody destroys and recreates the universe. Ever again.

Rule: Nobody on earth threatens the entire multiverse. Ever.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 02:30 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

I'd have Thor smash the crap out of Hulk until his brains are splattered everywhere.

Also, what Mindship said.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 02:50 PM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Placidity
I'd have Thor smash the crap out of Hulk until his brains are splattered everywhere.

Also, what Mindship said.

At least demonstrate that Thor is Hulk's superior by showing it in a full on fight, without distractions. They have no problem with Silver Surfer humbling Hulk in the past, and I consider the Surfer & Thor to be equals.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 02:52 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

No more going back in continuity to rehash old stories and explain/change every little thing. Did we really need the writer of Avengers Academy to revisit a classic story like the Korvac saga and say "oh no that's not what happened, this guy did this because of this and that wasn't what actually happened" and kind of ruin some of the classic moments in that story? Now people can't even read the originals of some of these stories without thinking "ah but that wasn't true and that didn't happen like that and none of these characters actually died there and that wasn't really the motivation behind it." It's lazy crap. Tell writers to build on continuity or tell their own stories. Retcon stuff should be reserved for disasters like OMD, Sins Past, and Teen Tony/Murderer Tony.

Yeah retconning solid stories is a no no.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 05:09 PM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

I

They did what? Man...they should tell writers to leave certain stories alone or they'll end up in jail.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 05:12 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by -Pr-
he's racist, though. you think that's a good thing?

I think he is more immature and childish than straight racist

anyways, if he is, that is beside the point. Hudlin probably does have a unique perspective on the MU that could create interesting stories, but he is too much of a whiney ***** to give him characters that rely on cannon.

There IS a racial side to characters like Cap, Doom, Namor, etc, the entire MU. Using BP to run around the MU beating people up isn't a good way to show this. Look at Red, White & Black.

for instance, its not racist to point out that news agencies catering to white or wealthy people tend to exaggerate the violent stereotypes of minority groups.

I'm not even saying it would be good, it would at least be interesting though, far moreso than these epic events the publishers keep forcefeeding us, imho. Id rather read something that challanges me, even if I dont agree with it, as opposed to something that I feel insults my intelligence and wallet with 2 page spash art and trite, predictable storylines that all seem to end with "and now I unleash all the energy i was holding back" punches.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2011 04:36 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

ya, there have never been awesome stories revolving along those themes...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2011 04:37 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by inimalist
I think he is more immature and childish than straight racist

anyways, if he is, that is beside the point. Hudlin probably does have a unique perspective on the MU that could create interesting stories, but he is too much of a whiney ***** to give him characters that rely on cannon.

There IS a racial side to characters like Cap, Doom, Namor, etc, the entire MU. Using BP to run around the MU beating people up isn't a good way to show this. Look at Red, White & Black.

for instance, its not racist to point out that news agencies catering to white or wealthy people tend to exaggerate the violent stereotypes of minority groups.

I'm not even saying it would be good, it would at least be interesting though, far moreso than these epic events the publishers keep forcefeeding us, imho. Id rather read something that challanges me, even if I dont agree with it, as opposed to something that I feel insults my intelligence and wallet with 2 page spash art and trite, predictable storylines that all seem to end with "and now I unleash all the energy i was holding back" punches.

This is pretty much what I'm getting at. However I think its really easy to say somebody is a whiney *****. I suspect hes a whiney ***** for a reason and maybe if we went through the same thing we might be whiney as well.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2011 05:54 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

I'm talking about him being found trolling message boards and stuff. in terms of professionalism and maturity, he really isnt a shining example.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2011 06:42 PM
Citizen V.

James Barnes would be Captain America permanently.

I would also ban any Steve Rogers "flashbacks" set in World War Two, those things have been done to death.

Wolverine and Spider-Man would never be members of the Avengers, Red Hulk would get retconned.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 02:05 PM
Citizen V. is currently offline Click here to Send Citizen V. a Private Message Find more posts by Citizen V. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote