KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince CAST - Rumors, Suggestions, etc.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince CAST - Rumors, Suggestions, etc.
Started by: Strangelove

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Silent Dreams
Restricted

Account Restricted

I hated Gambon as Albus. I would of hired Peter O'Toole

Yoru ga samishii nante fushigi ne

Old Post Jul 26th, 2007 10:02 PM
Silent Dreams is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Dreams a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Dreams Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

I have to agree that Gambon is poor, he justs shouts all the time and seems very irritable, when Dumbledore is supposed to be a calm character.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 02:36 AM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

I think that Gambon gets a bum rap. In his first movie as Dumbledore, I thought he was quite good, as he showed that part of Dumbledore that I liked best: the spry, lively Dumbledore. But in GoF and OotP, his part was cut down so much that he was hardly given any chance to be the Dumbledore that he could. So it's basically the movie studio's fault (as usual)

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 08:33 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jasonowens4200

that didnt answer my ? thanks for telling me what you thought of him but is he getting replaced
everyone go to this site the PERFECT selection for the new cast members except for cissy http://nymag.com/daily/entertainmen...rry_potter.html

Old Post Jul 27th, 2007 07:34 PM
jasonowens4200 is currently offline Click here to Send jasonowens4200 a Private Message Find more posts by jasonowens4200 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jasonowens4200
that didnt answer my ? thanks for telling me what you thought of him but is he getting replaced
everyone go to this site the PERFECT selection for the new cast members except for cissy http://nymag.com/daily/entertainmen...rry_potter.html
Michael Gambon is staying. They wouldn't replace and actor unless they had to.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2007 02:50 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
goddess_susu
half elf half witch

I heard rumors that Naomi Watts has signed to play Narcissa. I think she'd be good for the character.

Attachment: naomi wattz.jpg
This has been downloaded 79 time(s).

Is there a dragon nearby? because I'm on FIRE!

Old Post Jul 28th, 2007 10:50 PM
goddess_susu is currently offline Click here to Send goddess_susu a Private Message Find more posts by goddess_susu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

I've got to agree with everyone else - I think Naomi Watts is simply too young and innocent looking for Narcissa. And the fact that she's Australian, with JK's insistence that everyone be from the UK...

I would have liked to see Nicole Kidman take a crack at Narcissa, especially after seeing her in clips of being Mrs. Coulter from "The Golden Compass," I think she could pull off that elegant but evil beauty supuremely. But she's Australian as well, so that wouldn't work.

Tilda Swinton would be a great choice, though. She'd have to tone down her ABSOLUTE EVIL from Narnia (that's the only thing I've seen her in) but I have a feeling she'd be able to. The points in the film where she was "trying" to be charming to Edmund, the scene toward the beginning in the sleigh - I think that could be Narcissa.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 01:13 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surreal_44

Am I the only one who likes Gambon as Dumbledore? I absolutely hated Richard Harris as Dumbledore. He was a lovely man, I'm sure, but as Dumbledore he was frail, his voice was all wrong, and he always looked ready to drop over dead. I realize now of course that he was ill, but even so...he should never have been cast in the first place.

Gambon is as I imagine Dumbledore; powerful but gentle, fun-loving but stern, brilliant but also very human...that's what makes Dumbledore. Not this 'twinkling' non-sense I hear so much from people who hate Gambon. It shows an inherent lack of understanding of who and what Dumbledore is (or was, if you like) as a character.

Gambon pulls off the relationship with Harry much better. He's sometimes a bit rough with Harry, and stern, but watch his hands. In GoF, when Harry returns, he gently strokes Harry's head. He smoothes back Harry's hair and pats him on the shoulder in a very fatherly manner near the end of GoF.

In OotP he is impatient and stern with those who want to harm Harry. At the end he cradles Harry in his arms, his talk with Harry is a perfect balance of mentor and parent, and at times he is incredibly tender with Harry.

Also, Gambon is not entirely to blame. He does have to contend with the scriptwriter and the director on how they want him to play Dumbledore. Either way, Gambon is perfect. I can't wait to see him in HBP.

I'm awful with actors names...however, did I hear that Jack Davenport was attempting to get a part in Harry Potter, or is that just an old rumor with no basis?

~Banner made by JES, avatar made by Veronica_Rich. Thanks, girls!!~

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 01:23 AM
Surreal_44 is currently offline Click here to Send Surreal_44 a Private Message Find more posts by Surreal_44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jasonowens4200

surreal 44 you're not the only one i think he plays a better dumbledore than harris i wish they would have had him in the first two films
and siriuswriter naomi watts was born in the UK and was raised in australia

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 01:19 PM
jasonowens4200 is currently offline Click here to Send jasonowens4200 a Private Message Find more posts by jasonowens4200 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

I like Gambon.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 01:24 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Oomny
Promising Tomorrows

As do I. He is good at the role. Gambon does well. the old dumbledore was the best as being calm and collected. but unless you got a spade and a resurectting stone. there is no one else in the world who can play dumbledore.

I am worried for HBP. they are keeping the same director. I like the OOTP but I hate the director. I am afraid of what he will cut out.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 03:42 PM
Oomny is currently offline Click here to Send Oomny a Private Message Find more posts by Oomny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jasonowens4200

Originally posted by ~LunaLoveG~
As do I. He is good at the role. Gambon does well. the old dumbledore was the best as being calm and collected. but unless you got a spade and a resurectting stone. there is no one else in the world who can play dumbledore.

I am worried for HBP. they are keeping the same director. I like the OOTP but I hate the director. I am afraid of what he will cut out.

yea i know what you mean about yates that was the longest book out of the series and also the shortest movie he said the first 4 ran too long and he knew that people would hate that but he wanted to show the physcologically of harry and darker side of how damaged he was and he thought that is what should have been important or something like that i read it in entertainment weekly he wanted to take kreacher out of it too but jkr told him he would regret it in the later movies

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 04:06 PM
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Originally posted by Surreal_44
Am I the only one who likes Gambon as Dumbledore? I absolutely hated Richard Harris as Dumbledore. He was a lovely man, I'm sure, but as Dumbledore he was frail, his voice was all wrong, and he always looked ready to drop over dead. I realize now of course that he was ill, but even so...he should never have been cast in the first place.

Gambon is as I imagine Dumbledore; powerful but gentle, fun-loving but stern, brilliant but also very human...that's what makes Dumbledore. Not this 'twinkling' non-sense I hear so much from people who hate Gambon. It shows an inherent lack of understanding of who and what Dumbledore is (or was, if you like) as a character.

Gambon pulls off the relationship with Harry much better. He's sometimes a bit rough with Harry, and stern, but watch his hands. In GoF, when Harry returns, he gently strokes Harry's head. He smoothes back Harry's hair and pats him on the shoulder in a very fatherly manner near the end of GoF.

In OotP he is impatient and stern with those who want to harm Harry. At the end he cradles Harry in his arms, his talk with Harry is a perfect balance of mentor and parent, and at times he is incredibly tender with Harry.

Also, Gambon is not entirely to blame. He does have to contend with the scriptwriter and the director on how they want him to play Dumbledore. Either way, Gambon is perfect. I can't wait to see him in HBP.

I'm awful with actors names...however, did I hear that Jack Davenport was attempting to get a part in Harry Potter, or is that just an old rumor with no basis?
I love Gambon

I liked Harris as well, though. They embody different traits of Dumbledore quite well.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 06:24 AM
exanda kane

I don't think people should really condemn David Yates for one effort, he has a back catalogue of quality TV work in the UK (Yes, I've seen alot of it, and it's good) and it shouldn't have escaped your notice that Order of the Phoenix recieved very positive critical reception. I'd be glad for him to direct the last two. Him or Cauron.

I mean, Chris Columbus? Seriously?

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 03:47 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Wait a minute - people actually prefer Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore as compared with Harris' performance? Have you guys read the books? confused

Seriously though, I've grown to like him - I've enjoyed him rather cordially in both PoA and OotP - but I can't shake certain moments of his performance; just too rough and Irish for Dumbledore in my eyes.

When compared with the last two films, I find that OotP is actually much closer to the source material. I didn't realize this until the second time I saw the film, but parts of OotP seemed to be simply ripped from the pages. I think Yates did an excellent job.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 04:24 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surreal_44

Hehe. Yes, I've read the books. I always envisioned Dumbledore as an amusing, energetic man who was wise, stern and yet also very human for all his strength and power.

Harris didn't do it for me. Physically I think he looks the part a bit more than Gambon (he's a bit thinner and the nose is better), but everything else was all wrong for me.

He took forever to get his lines out, his voice was too hoarse, he seemed too fragile and honestly, he was not engaging to me at all. Poor Mr. Harris was quite ill, from what I understand, so I feel badly for saying that I thought his performance was awful.

I clearly recall sitting in the theater and wishing dearly that they had cast someone else as Dumbledore. His lines always sounded awkward to me, and his voice absolutely drove me up a wall.

Gambon is Dumbledore; when he speaks, he is the focus of all the listeners, and rightly so. Dumbledore is a powerful, powerful wizard. The only time I ever saw him as being frail was in HBP, and even then he had an underlying strength and authority that I seriously think only Gambon can make it work.

One of Dumbledore's lines that I hope they will work into the film comes from Harry asking Dumbledore if he's all right, and Dumbledore responds, "Of course I am. I'm with you." (or something of that ilk; I haven't got the book in front of me). It's a defining moment of the relationship Harry and Dumbledore have with each other and Gambon has really developed it in subtle ways on screen that I think it would be wonderful to see in the film. big grin

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 06:48 PM
Surreal_44 is currently offline Click here to Send Surreal_44 a Private Message Find more posts by Surreal_44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Really? I've always thought that Harris - body, voice and all - embodied Dumbledore perfectly. I guess its simply a matter of taste.

Like I say, though, I've grown to love Gambon in PA and OotP.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 08:01 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surreal_44

Yep, yep. My biggest problem with Harris was that...it...took...so...long...for...him...to get his freakin' lines out. I wanted to shake him and ask him where Dumbledore's energy was.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 08:24 PM
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

I loved Harris as Dumbledore. I thought he fit the character perfectly. He always seemed cool, calm, and caring. Reminds me of a wise, old grandfather figure.

Gambon's portrayal seems more like an advisor to Harry now rather than a mentor. Besides a few scenes in the Prisoner of Azkaban, I haven't really felt that Gambon's Dumbledore actually cared for Harry. It seems like he's more concerned with Voldemort instead.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 08:52 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

I agree that Bill Nighy would make a great Scrimgeour. I also like Tilda Swinton playing Narcissa. As for Slughorn, I think Jim Broadbent would be a better choice than Bob Hoskins. Even though Hoskins is short, he has a rougher look to him than Broadbent. I don't see Slughorn that way.

I can see Ben Kingsley playing Marvolo Gaunt, Samantha Morton playing Merope, and Andy Serkis as Morfin.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 09:41 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote