KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince CAST - Rumors, Suggestions, etc.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince CAST - Rumors, Suggestions, etc.
Started by: Strangelove

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Rover

Personally, I've always based part of my vision of Scrimgeour on Gambon as in, say, L4yer Cake. He has a gruff and yet authorative air to him that seems to fit for me. Too bad he's already Dumbledore.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 12:04 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surreal_44
Hehe. Yes, I've read the books. I always envisioned Dumbledore as an amusing, energetic man who was wise, stern and yet also very human for all his strength and power.

Harris didn't do it for me. Physically I think he looks the part a bit more than Gambon (he's a bit thinner and the nose is better), but everything else was all wrong for me.

He took forever to get his lines out, his voice was too hoarse, he seemed too fragile and honestly, he was not engaging to me at all. Poor Mr. Harris was quite ill, from what I understand, so I feel badly for saying that I thought his performance was awful.

I clearly recall sitting in the theater and wishing dearly that they had cast someone else as Dumbledore. His lines always sounded awkward to me, and his voice absolutely drove me up a wall.

Gambon is Dumbledore; when he speaks, he is the focus of all the listeners, and rightly so. Dumbledore is a powerful, powerful wizard. The only time I ever saw him as being frail was in HBP, and even then he had an underlying strength and authority that I seriously think only Gambon can make it work.

One of Dumbledore's lines that I hope they will work into the film comes from Harry asking Dumbledore if he's all right, and Dumbledore responds, "Of course I am. I'm with you." (or something of that ilk; I haven't got the book in front of me). It's a defining moment of the relationship Harry and Dumbledore have with each other and Gambon has really developed it in subtle ways on screen that I think it would be wonderful to see in the film. big grin
Originally posted by Melcórë
Really? I've always thought that Harris - body, voice and all - embodied Dumbledore perfectly. I guess its simply a matter of taste.

Like I say, though, I've grown to love Gambon in PA and OotP.
Both Gambon and Harris were/are fantastic Dumbledores. Harris really embodied the grandfatherly, fun-loving Dumbledore, even though he was a bit slow and quiet for the Dumbledore I imagined.

Gambon has the lively, commanding presence of Dumbledore down-pat, but he does come off as a little too rough. I, however, blame that on the directors. In their haste to make the movies as short as possible, we hardly get as much Dumbledore as he deserves. And as a result, I fear that the moviegoing audience will not care about him enough when he dies in movie six. They did the exact same thing with Sirius: cruelly cutting the part down until we don't care about him as a character on-screen, and we feel nothing when he dies (that's how I felt, anyway)

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 02:08 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

Scrimgeour: Bill Nighy
Narcissa: Kate Blanchet
Slughorn: John Rys Davies
Gaunt: John Noble
Merope:?
Morphin:?
Tom Riddle: Jack Davenport
Fenrir:Ian Mckellen (going against type here, but we know he can give truly twisted evil performances.might be a hair too old, but fenrir would have to be old if he was an adult when he bit lupin.) or if deemed too old i'd go with Sean Bean (i'm in a LOTR mood)
Neville's Gran: Judi dench

other great british actors to consider...
rachel wiess( possibly merope but i don't love it)
danny huston( secondary death eater character)
daniel craig(chameleon actor could be just about anything has about zero percent chance of being in the next movie)
Kate Winslet(grey lady in the 7th one)
michael cain(stuffier, more pompous alternative version of Slughorn, but not a great fit)
Ben Kingsley( maybe gaunt, i kinda like him as the guy from the ministry who goes to see the gaunts though. way too overqualified for such a small role)
Hugo Weaving( gaunt maybe)
Liam Neeson( at six foot four he has the stature to be fenrir. the talent too, don't know if it's a great fit though.

on a side note: i love Peter O'Toole as Dumbledoor. Too Bad it would never happen.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 04:34 AM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Originally posted by Rapscallion
Scrimgeour: Bill Nighy
Narcissa: Kate Blanchet
Slughorn: John Rys Davies
Gaunt: John Noble
Merope:?
Morphin:?
Tom Riddle: Jack Davenport
Fenrir:Ian Mckellen (going against type here, but we know he can give truly twisted evil performances.might be a hair too old, but fenrir would have to be old if he was an adult when he bit lupin.) or if deemed too old i'd go with Sean Bean (i'm in a LOTR mood)
Neville's Gran: Judi dench

other great british actors to consider...
rachel wiess( possibly merope but i don't love it)
danny huston( secondary death eater character)
daniel craig(chameleon actor could be just about anything has about zero percent chance of being in the next movie)
Kate Winslet(grey lady in the 7th one)
michael cain(stuffier, more pompous alternative version of Slughorn, but not a great fit)
Ben Kingsley( maybe gaunt, i kinda like him as the guy from the ministry who goes to see the gaunts though. way too overqualified for such a small role)
Hugo Weaving( gaunt maybe)
Liam Neeson( at six foot four he has the stature to be fenrir. the talent too, don't know if it's a great fit though.

on a side note: i love Peter O'Toole as Dumbledoor. Too Bad it would never happen.

I wonder if Sean Bean would play a good Fenrir. He seems to play every other bad brit out there.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 01:24 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surreal_44

Originally posted by celestialdemon
I loved Harris as Dumbledore. I thought he fit the character perfectly. He always seemed cool, calm, and caring. Reminds me of a wise, old grandfather figure.

Gambon's portrayal seems more like an advisor to Harry now rather than a mentor. Besides a few scenes in the Prisoner of Azkaban, I haven't really felt that Gambon's Dumbledore actually cared for Harry. It seems like he's more concerned with Voldemort instead.

It's all a matter of taste. big grin But I do see that Dumbledore cares for Harry. Very much so. He's very physical with Harry; stroking Harry's head when he brings Cedric back in GoF, clutching him in fear and partial anger when he thinks Harry put his name in the Goblet, at the end of GoF when Dumbledore talks to Harry in the boys dormitory he touches Harry's face and pats him on the shoulder. It's all very fatherly.

He does the same thing then in OotP. You can see his impatience with the people who want to harm Harry. He's very concerned with Harry, but he always tries -- and fails-- to maintain a distance from Harry. He doesn't want to get attached, but he can't help it. At the end of OotP he cradles Harry in his arm, strokes his hair again after Voldemort possesses him...it's a beautiful, subtle moment that speaks so much about how much Dumbledore does in fact care for Harry.

quote:
Gambon has the lively, commanding presence of Dumbledore down-pat, but he does come off as a little too rough. I, however, blame that on the directors. In their haste to make the movies as short as possible, we hardly get as much Dumbledore as he deserves. And as a result, I fear that the moviegoing audience will not care about him enough when he dies in movie six. They did the exact same thing with Sirius: cruelly cutting the part down until we don't care about him as a character on-screen, and we feel nothing when he dies (that's how I felt, anyway)

Oh, I hated book!Sirius so much that I threw a party when he died. He was a bastard, self-centered and incredibily immature. I couldn't feel the bond Harry and Sirius had, because Sirius spent so much of his time being nasty to everyone and treating Harry like...I don't know. I couldn't get a sense of a bond, and I was puzzled why Harry was so upset with his loss.

However, in the movie, they cut out all of Sirius's nastiness. He listened to Harry, reassured Harry, and was the mature adult Harry needed in his life. I felt bad when Sirius died in the film. When I read the book my reaction was to go and buy a cupcake to celebrate the fact I wouldn't have to read anymore Sirius. stick out tongue

Gary Oldman did a wonderful job with Sirius. I kind of wish JKR had made Sirius more like they did in the film.

~Banner made by JES, avatar made by Veronica_Rich. Thanks, girls!!~

Old Post Jul 31st, 2007 02:02 PM
Surreal_44 is currently offline Click here to Send Surreal_44 a Private Message Find more posts by Surreal_44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

*rant* *rant* *rant*

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, Surreal, because it's all about perspective, but how can you say Sirius was utterly wrong in the book and how could you not have felt the bond between Harry and Sirius?

I'm sorry... I cried when Sirius died in the book and it does take moving and emotive reading for me to cry. Admittedly, I didn't sob like I did when Dumbledore died but still, Sirius' death was tragic and heart-breaking.

I think what I'm actually trying to ask is how can two people have such opposite in the extreme reactions to the same part?

I'm confused laughing out loud

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Aug 1st, 2007 10:29 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Roulette
Freak

Originally posted by Dresta
I have to agree that Gambon is poor, he justs shouts all the time and seems very irritable, when Dumbledore is supposed to be a calm character.

Exactly! O.O he was quite scary in GoF...I'm thinking of one scene in particular. It was after Harry was chosen as the 4th champion. He (Gambon) basically strangled Harry when he asked him if he put his name in the Goblet of fire o.o

Originally posted by celestialdemon
I loved Harris as Dumbledore. I thought he fit the character perfectly. He always seemed cool, calm, and caring. Reminds me of a wise, old grandfather figure.

yes Took the words right out of my mouth!

Madness, as you know, is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.

Old Post Aug 14th, 2007 11:50 PM
Roulette is currently offline Click here to Send Roulette a Private Message Find more posts by Roulette Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
simonrob123
standing over you

i have heard that emma watson is leaving but im not positive she is now

all i know is bonnie wright is going to get some realy good kissing seens

Old Post Aug 15th, 2007 02:35 AM
simonrob123 is currently offline Click here to Send simonrob123 a Private Message Find more posts by simonrob123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Isn't the entire trio signed on for the final two movies?

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Aug 15th, 2007 02:54 AM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkC
-KMC THREAD KILLER-

First of all: Sir Ian McKellen as Dumbledore. His Gandalf portrayal was to me much like a Dumbledore as well. I've been saying this since day one and I will continue to preach it.

(please log in to view the image)
-His voice is deep. (As described by JKR in HBP book)
-He has a naturally cultured way of speech. (ALL of McKellen's characters, from LOTR to X-Men to even Da Vinci Code, are extremely smooth)
-His accent is British.
-His voice, even when spoken quietly, can radiate immense power behind it.

Lana has the right idea for Cate Blanchett as Narcissa, I never even considered her. She can properly look disdainful and powerful at the same time, like such!
She's not overly hot either and she's neither old nor young; Naomi Watts looks a little young and attractive for the part. Seriously, there's enough "I want to bang" characters in the movies already.

Someone mentioned Bob Hoskins for Slughorn, I think that's also a great idea, having seen him in Unleashed, he's not as fat as Slughorn but he has a nice rough Brit accent and he can be properly jovial.

Bored? Amuse yourself with Tower Defense!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2007 10:38 PM
DarkC is currently offline Click here to Send DarkC a Private Message Find more posts by DarkC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jasonowens4200

why is everyone hating on gambon he is a awesome dumbledore and harris was perfect for the first two movies but who could see harris fighting voldemort in OotP if he was still alive come on now and i haave to agree McKellen would have been a good dumbledore too

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2007 08:34 PM
jasonowens4200 is currently offline Click here to Send jasonowens4200 a Private Message Find more posts by jasonowens4200 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Slughorn: Danny Devito.

I'm pretty confident this will become truth.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2007 04:23 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Don't be an idiot.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Aug 27th, 2007 01:41 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miss_swann
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Of course I'll never see the movie but...

Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister of Magic = Bill Nighy (picture already up)
Narcissa Malfoy = Rosamund Pike (with extensions)
Horace Slughorn = Derek Jacobi (picture already up)
Merope Gaunt = Natalie Portman
Morfin Gaunt = Rupert Friend
Fenrir Greyback = Andrew Lincoln
Hepzibah Smith = Judi Dench (picture up as suggestion for Nevilles grandmother.)

Rosamund Pike = http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...ly/Narcissa.jpg

Natalie Portman = http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...htly/merope.jpg

Rupert Friend = http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...htly/Morfin.jpg

Andrew Lincoln = http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/...htly/fenrir.jpg

I can't make sigs, Silent Dreams can.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2007 05:34 PM
miss_swann is currently offline Click here to Send miss_swann a Private Message Find more posts by miss_swann Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DoomsdayClock

Sort of off topic. But for the final movie, what do you all think of Michael Caine as Aberforth Dumbledore? I think that would be perfect.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2007 07:39 PM
DoomsdayClock is currently offline Click here to Send DoomsdayClock a Private Message Find more posts by DoomsdayClock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Originally posted by H. S. 6
Slughorn: Danny Devito.

I'm pretty confident this will become truth.
I think they're trying to keep it British

Old Post Aug 28th, 2007 06:06 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jasonowens4200

what'd i say i told you jim broadbent would play slughorn

Old Post Sep 17th, 2007 06:24 PM
jasonowens4200 is currently offline Click here to Send jasonowens4200 a Private Message Find more posts by jasonowens4200 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arctic
Crazy Forum Guy

I agree with whoever said Ian McKellen should have been Dumbledore. He was great in LOTR as Gandalf...Gambon is okay, but I think McKellen would have fit better.

Just my 2 cents. And Kate Blanchett would actually do pretty well is Narcissa. Looks the part.

Old Post Sep 17th, 2007 09:13 PM
Arctic is currently offline Click here to Send Arctic a Private Message Find more posts by Arctic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prince Nauj
Bebop

Broadbent is Slughorn in Harry Potter 6
Source: September 18, 2007

In an interview with Dark Horizons, actor Jim Broadbent revealed who he will play in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which started filming on Monday for a November 21, 2008 release. Here's a clip from the interview:

Who am I? He's called Horace Slughorn. He's a retired teacher of magic who's drawn back out of retirement because he's got some secrets they need in the battle against the Death Eaters and he's quite star struck as a teacher and he's drawn back into the fold because he likes to notch up celebrity students, and he's drawn back by Harry.

He talks a bit more about the character, as well as his role in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, at the link above.

I think hes perfect!!!

lo lo Bromios lo lo Dendrites lo lo Eleutherios lo lo Enorches...

Old Post Sep 18th, 2007 09:59 PM
Prince Nauj is currently offline Click here to Send Prince Nauj a Private Message Find more posts by Prince Nauj Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Ooooh! Terrific. I was just looking at a picture of him the other day (something to do Moulin Rouge, I think,) and I thought he looked exactly the part. smile

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2007 02:21 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote