KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Hey would anybody agree with me that Harry Potter is holey?

Hey would anybody agree with me that Harry Potter is holey?
Started by: tooa/presence

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Air Legend
Moderat0r

Hey would anybody agree with me that Harry Potter is holey?

I think there are plot holes in Harry Potter. Does anybody agree?

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 01:12 AM
Air Legend is currently offline Click here to Send Air Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Air Legend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Simply put - no.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 01:19 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surreal_44

I think there are some possible contradictions or areas that never got fully explained (imperious curse, for one), but I don't think they are huge, huge plot holes.

And perhaps what is unknown now shall be revealed in this Harry Potter encyclopedia JKR has been talking about.

~Banner made by JES, avatar made by Veronica_Rich. Thanks, girls!!~

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 01:37 AM
Surreal_44 is currently offline Click here to Send Surreal_44 a Private Message Find more posts by Surreal_44 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Air Legend
Moderat0r

well here is a small example. she wrote that harry had the "real" invisible cloak that was impenetrable, truly invisible and what not, yet mad eye could see them through it. there are others too but does anyone have an explanation for that

Michael Demiurgos Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 05:21 AM
Air Legend is currently offline Click here to Send Air Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Air Legend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

Ask her, why would we know?

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 06:08 AM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by tooa/presence
well here is a small example. she wrote that harry had the "real" invisible cloak that was impenetrable, truly invisible and what not, yet mad eye could see them through it. there are others too but does anyone have an explanation for that

The invisibility cloak was impetrenable to things like spells, not things like Mad Eye Moody's eye.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 07:46 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morton Ford
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hmmm... Harrys invincibility cloak should be immune to magic,, but Malfoy broke its defense with a stunningspell in Harry Potter 5.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2007 08:24 PM
Morton Ford is currently offline Click here to Send Morton Ford a Private Message Find more posts by Morton Ford Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

Originally posted by Surreal_44
I think there are some possible contradictions or areas that never got fully explained (imperious curse, for one), but I don't think they are huge, huge plot holes.

And perhaps what is unknown now shall be revealed in this Harry Potter encyclopedia JKR has been talking about.

What are the contradictions on the imperious curse?

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 02:38 AM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surio
I wish magic was real. :(

Of course there are minor plot holes in Harry Potter. Name me a fantasy series without any.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 04:00 AM
Surio is currently offline Click here to Send Surio a Private Message Find more posts by Surio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I don't recall any contradictions with the Imperius Curse.

However, there was a rather huge one with the Fidelius Charm - in earlier books it was explained that even if the Secret-Keeper died, the charm was still in place. In DH though they say that since Dumbledore (Secret-Keeper for Grimmauld Place) died, everyone who knew of it became a Secret-Keeper which weakened the charm.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 04:13 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally posted by Lana
I don't recall any contradictions with the Imperius Curse.

However, there was a rather huge one with the Fidelius Charm - in earlier books it was explained that even if the Secret-Keeper died, the charm was still in place. In DH though they say that since Dumbledore (Secret-Keeper for Grimmauld Place) died, everyone who knew of it became a Secret-Keeper which weakened the charm.

I don't think the charm was weakened in terms of magic, but the fact that there were numerous secret keepers who could give away it's location (e.g. Snape) thereby defeating the whole point of the charm's existence yes

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 10:35 AM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by willRules
I don't think the charm was weakened in terms of magic, but the fact that there were numerous secret keepers who could give away it's location (e.g. Snape) thereby defeating the whole point of the charm's existence yes

There wasn't numerous Secret-Keepers, though. There was only one - Dumbledore. Knowing where something or someone protected by the Fidelius Charm is doesn't make you a Secret-Keeper.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 03:55 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally posted by Lana
There wasn't numerous Secret-Keepers, though. There was only one - Dumbledore. Knowing where something or someone protected by the Fidelius Charm is doesn't make you a Secret-Keeper.

I meant after Dumbledore's death yes

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 05:44 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Wasn't Dumbledore also able to see through the cloak when he found Harry looking at the mirror? Also, Snape seemed to sense Harry closed to him when he was confronting Quirrel in Sorcerer's Stone.

One thing I didn't like was Ollivander's explanation as to why Harry's wand acted on it's own against Voldemort. It didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 06:10 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by willRules
I meant after Dumbledore's death yes

Gah. Yes. I know.

However, it's still missing the point that in previous books it was said that it doesn't work that way (which I said already).

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 07:35 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

oh right my mistake embarrasment

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 09:43 PM
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by celestialdemon
Wasn't Dumbledore also able to see through the cloak when he found Harry looking at the mirror? Also, Snape seemed to sense Harry closed to him when he was confronting Quirrel in Sorcerer's Stone.

One thing I didn't like was Ollivander's explanation as to why Harry's wand acted on it's own against Voldemort. It didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Harry wasn't wearing the cloak when he was looking at the mirror, he had taken it off.

And I don't think turning invisible will make all hints of your presence completely disappear. Otherwise they wouldn't have to worry about not making noise or bumping into people.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2007 12:12 AM
siriuswriter

JK Rowling said that Dumbledore knew Harry was there by using the same "human reveal" spell that Hermione used in book 7.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2007 12:47 AM
Air Legend
Moderat0r

Well okay here's the biggest contradiction I think. You know how the outer part of the horcrux has to die or be broken for the horcrux to be destroyed. Well Harry didn't really die so the horcrux shouldn't have been destroyed. And besides Voldemort shouldn't have even been able to kill Harry even if Harry was accepting death because he had the blood protection off harry's mom in him which Dumbledore said as long as it was in Voldemort, Harry couldn't be killed by him. But the thing is that protection would and should have gone away after Harry's 17th birthday like it did with Harry.

Michael Demiurgos Respect Thread

Old Post Aug 5th, 2007 04:46 PM
Dresta

Originally posted by tooa/presence
Well okay here's the biggest contradiction I think. You know how the outer part of the horcrux has to die or be broken for the horcrux to be destroyed. Well Harry didn't really die so the horcrux shouldn't have been destroyed. And besides Voldemort shouldn't have even been able to kill Harry even if Harry was accepting death because he had the blood protection off harry's mom in him which Dumbledore said as long as it was in Voldemort, Harry couldn't be killed by him. But the thing is that protection would and should have gone away after Harry's 17th birthday like it did with Harry.

No, Voldemort couldn't kill harry not due to the protecion given to him by his mother's sacrifice, but because Voldemort had the same blood as Harry's running through his body, therefore there was something tieing Harry to the living world. So as long as Voldemort was still alvie Harry could not die.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2007 01:28 AM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote