KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Book excerpt as 2nd Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina Nears

Book excerpt as 2nd Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina Nears
Started by: dtpollard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dtpollard
Restricted

Account Restricted

Book excerpt as 2nd Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina Nears

This is an excerpt from the novel - Rooftop Diva - A Novel of Triumph After Katrina

Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans as nature’s weapon of mass destruction, but Monique and her grandmother stood fast. Then the levees failed and washed her old life away while she emerged through the roof of her house like a butterfly bursting out of its caterpillar’s cocoon. When she was scooped up by the arms of a rescue worker and flown away by helicopter blades that served as wings to a new life, she knew things would never be the same again.

Her name is Monique Devareaux and she was called the rooftop diva by the man that saved her, but she never knew his name. She must have passed out because the next time her eyes opened she was surrounded by a throng of people at an aid station. A kind lady gave her a cold bottle of water. Reality started to settle in that all she owned was clinging to her in the form of the clothing she wore.

“Has anyone seen my grandmother Martha Devareaux?” she inquired.

All that met her was a blank stare and a shake of the head for no. Deep down inside her mind, she knew her grandmother was floating in the water that swamped their house. It came in so quickly. By the time Monique realized what was happening it was up to her neck. She called for her grandmother, but at eighty years old and wheelchair bound, there was little chance she survived. Not only was she homeless and destitute, she was also alone.

2 Rooftop Diva

She struggled to her feet and said, “What’s going to happen to me? I don’t have anywhere to go.”

The aid worker replied, “Hi, my name is Wanda, what’s your name?”
“I’m Monique.”

“Monique, I need you to fill this out and when that is done, we have a bus that will take you somewhere you can stay and get some help.”

Wanda gave Monique a form attached to a clipboard and she began to fill it out and asked, “Where will I be going?”

“I don’t know exactly, but either Houston or Dallas, they have some shelters set up for you there.”

As Monique gave the clipboard back to Wanda, she was directed to a waiting bus filled with people from New Orleans. Their faces registered shock and disbelief at what had happened over the last week. Once on the bus she began to come to grips with her situation. Even though her head was spinning, Monique knew she was a survivor and would find an upside in the midst of this sea of misery.

DTPollard.com –reviews and links to all ordering US, Canada, United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia

Old Post Aug 12th, 2007 02:56 AM
dtpollard is currently offline Click here to Send dtpollard a Private Message Find more posts by dtpollard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote