KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Games 'Respect' Forum » Johnny Cage

Johnny Cage
Started by: Snafu the Great

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Furion
NEW EVIDENCE CAGE IS A PRICK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeZm...feature=related

You'll have to do better than that.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2007 03:37 PM
Black Yoshi is currently offline Click here to Send Black Yoshi a Private Message Find more posts by Black Yoshi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Furion
Restricted

Account Restricted

How, the guy pushed Sonya Blade off of a building. Being a leader at Armaggedon doesn't really matter for anything because everyone fighting each other to get to the pyramid.

I'm here to kick ass and play videogames....and I'm all out of ass.
Thanks amity75 for the sig

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 12:50 AM
Furion is currently offline Click here to Send Furion a Private Message Find more posts by Furion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Johnny Cage had some cool outfits.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 03:48 AM
Black Yoshi is currently offline Click here to Send Black Yoshi a Private Message Find more posts by Black Yoshi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Furion
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, Scorpion and Sub do, even though sub just mugged shredder.

I'm here to kick ass and play videogames....and I'm all out of ass.
Thanks amity75 for the sig

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 03:52 AM
Furion is currently offline Click here to Send Furion a Private Message Find more posts by Furion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

I don't know which one of Johnny Cage's outfits that I liked the best.

I'll have to think about it...

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 03:55 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

IMO, they should make a normal outfit for Cage (not an alternate one) where he's actually wearing a shirt like in the MK movies stick out tongue (besides that tuxedo one).

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 05:26 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

cool He doesn't need a shirt.

In every single game that he's in, he's either shirtless or wearing a tuxedo.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 09:00 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Yoshi Paradise
cool He doesn't need a shirt.

In every single game that he's in, he's either shirtless or wearing a tuxedo.

I know he doesn't need one, but it would still look cooler IMO if he did (like in the 2 MK movies).

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 10:03 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Okay.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2008 08:46 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

(please log in to view the image)

The 2nd one above is funny because it's true.
More MK comic-related stuff with Cage to come later if I'm up to it, but for now...

==Trivia==
*The original name for Cage was going to be Michael Grimm. It was changed during preproduction of MK.
*Cage's real nam came from Midway game programmer John Carlton, who worked on the popular ''NBA Jam'' arcade series.
*Cage was the last character in the original MK to be given a Fatality. Until a last-minute brainstorm by co-creator John Tobias that later evolved into the Head Punch Fatality, he was simply going to throw his opponent across the screen as a finishing move. (lol)
*In the first game, Cage was modelled after the Belgian actor Jean Claude Van Damme. The creators wanted Van Damme to be Johnny Cage in the first Mortal Kombat', but Van Damme was unable due to his busy movie work. Johnny Cage's clothes in the first 'Mortal Kombat' are almost identical to the clothes Van Damme wore in the last match in the 1988 movie Bloodsport and his split punch is taken directly from a move done by Van Damme in the movie.
*Cage was the only character in the original MK who did not have a past history with any of the other characters.
*In early arcade test versions of 'MKII', the word "Otomix" appeared on Cage's pants (they were worn by actor Daniel Pesina during filming), but was omitted in subsequent chip upgrades. Otomix is an established supplier of martial arts and athletic wear.
*The Red Shadow Kick, and Red Shadow Uppercut special moves happened randomly in MKII. In MK4 and MK Gold, selecting Player 2's outfit would cause the moves to have red shadow properties, rather than green.
*Cage was cut from the Game Boy version of MK due to memory constraints. He was also the only character from the first MK game who did not appear in Jeff Rovin's non-canon 1995 novel. (gay)
*Cage was exclusively recreated for Mortal Kombat Trilogy due to the fact that Pesina was fired by Midway after appearing in an ad for the arcade game BloodStorm dressed as Cage, and thus his MK2 sprite wasn't used. He was replaced by Chris Alexander. (that's rather anti-climactic)
*Originally Brandon Lee was the actor in talks to be Johnny Cage in the first Mortal Kombat movie. (I'm glad it turned out to be Linden Ashby for some reason)
*Also in the film, after Cage defeats Scorpion, a headshot photo signed 'To my greatest fan' lands in the debris, a nod to his Friendship finishing move in Mortal Kombat II.
*Some think that Johnny had defeated Goro in the first Mortal Kombat tournament (most likely due to the movie). However in the video game storyline it was Liu Lame who had defeated Goro in the tournament (lame!). In Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, there is another fight between Liu Kang, Kung Lao, and Goro, in which Johnny intervenes and finishes off Goro. This is a homage to the film.
*According to Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance and his official biography, Johnny Cage has starred in:
**Ninja Mime (a box office flop in America, but a cult classic in France; Cyrax loathed this film)
**''Dragon Fist''
**''Dragon Fist 2''
**''Son of Dragon Fist''
**''HWAAAAA!!''
**''Sudden Violence''
**''Aquatic Assault''
**''Exiting the Dragon of Death'' (opposite Hong Kong action star Channie Jack, a spoof of Jackie Chan)
**''7 Poisons''
**''Cage Match''
**''The Gist of my Fist''
**''24 Karate Gold''
**''Who's That?''
**''Wu Shu'' (a TV series)
**''Mortal Kombat''
**''Mortal Kombat II''
**''Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance''
*He also appeared on 'Smash TV (as a result, Smash TV and the Mortal Kombat series are both portrayed as occurring in the same fictional universe)!
*Cage is the comic relief character of Mortal Kombat (claimed in a bonus item in the Mortal Kombat Deception double pack).
*Though Mortal Kombat is notorious for replacing the letter ''c" with "k", Cage is an exception. It's probably more than coincidence that Kage in japanese means shadow and Johnny Cage is the master of many "shadow" move techniques.
*In Unreal Championship 2, one of Raiden's taunts states that "you fight like Johnny Cage!".
*Reportedly, John Vogel did not like Cage's storyline in Mortal Kombat Trilogy and Mortal Kombat 4, and Cage's Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance bio can be viewed as retconning this, with ''Mortal Kombat: The Death of Johnny Cage'' explaining away - and mocking - his repeated death and revival during Trilogy and MK4. Fan reaction to this intent has been mixed; some like the loss of another "resurrection" storyline, which is becoming increasingly common in the Mortal Kombat story, but others feel the retcon destroys what was perceived as a refreshing change of pace for Cage's otherwise stilted storyline (with Cage's death and subsequent semi-altruistic resurrections portraying him more compassionate and understanding of the gravity of the tournament, instead of simply using them as inspiration for more of his movies). Others do not view this as a retcon at all, as it would directly contradict his story screens in Trilogy and MK4 and ''cannot'' therefore be canonical. To these fans, the references to ''The Death of Johnny Cage'' movie therefore take on a more satirical aspect.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 04:21 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Snafu the Great
Johnny Cage's Bio (revised)

Mortal Kombat

A martial arts superstar trained by great masters around the world, Cage uses his talents on the big screen. He is current box office champ, starring in such movies as Dragon Fist and Dragon Fist II, as
well as the award winning Sudden Violence. He entered the tournament purely for publicity it would generate for him around the world. Despite his seeming shallowness, he is a formidable foe with limber limbs, quick reflexes, and his patented Shadow Kick.

Mortal Kombat II

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Killed in a battle with an Outworld extermination squad, Johnny Cage's life came to a tragic end. But the celluloid superstar managed to cheat death when his path to the after life is blocked by the merger of Earth and the Outworld. His soul takes possession of its body once again. And enables Cage to rejoin his friends to battle for Earth's survival.

With his nearly deceased soul restored, Johnny Cage finds himself fighting alongside his friends once again. This time he seeks revenge against the extermination squad that took his life. But during their battle, Cage learns that if they win against Kahn, his soul will again be deceased when Earth reverts back to normal. Knowing this the movie star embarks on a one way mission to destroy Shao Kahn. His determination fuels his fellow warriors as they embark on one final onslaught against the evil emperor. The Earth warriors emerge victorious and when the realms revert to their normal state, Cage bids farewell to his comrades as his soul leaves to a higher place.

Mortal Kombat 4/Gold

Adding onto this revised bio, the Mortal Kombat Trilogy ending pics:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

--------

Aside from all that, I kinda got some funny nostalgia moments from re-reading this thread. Looking back, I pretty much agree with Blax now that Johnny Cage is a no-talent ass clown, along with Goro (I mean after all, only reason he even entered Mortal Kombat in the first place was to boost his image and show critics that he's not a "fake" no expression), but... that's what makes him funny as a character big grin, and of course, his humor is what most of us like about him, so yeah.

And Furion got banned huh? I was wondering what happened to that dude..

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 04:55 AM
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

The 2nd one above is funny because it's true.

If Cage didn't get "erased from existence", the guy on the right could've been his counterpart in "MK vs DC".

*Cage was exclusively recreated for Mortal Kombat Trilogy due to the fact that Pesina was fired by Midway after appearing in an ad for the arcade game BloodStorm dressed as Cage, and thus his MK2 sprite wasn't used. He was replaced by Chris Alexander. (that's rather anti-climactic)

I was wondering why he looked different in that game. I guess that explains it.

To be honest, Chris did a better job as Johnny Cage than Pesina did.

Last edited by Black Yoshi on Dec 16th, 2008 at 05:18 AM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 05:11 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

If Cage didn't get "erased from existence", the guy on the right could've been his counterpart in "MK vs DC".

True that. yes I'm guessing Booster Gold got erased as well though (that, or he was never considered for the game to begin with)..

I was wondering why he looked different in that game. I guess that explains it.

To be honest, Chris did a better job as Johnny Cage than Pesina did.

Eh, yeah, but Pesina did a pretty good job as well.

http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk2/johnnycage/

Wasn't really the same when he got fired.. but yeah. I liked Chris's performance better too I suppose.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 05:51 AM
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

True that. yes I'm guessing Booster Gold got erased as well though (that, or he was never considered for the game to begin with)..

Eh, yeah, but Pesina did a pretty good job as well.

http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mk2/johnnycage/

Wasn't really the same when he got fired.. but yeah. I liked Chris's performance better too I suppose.

I doubt he was considered for the game.

With the exception of that horrible Street Fighter: The Movie...game, did another video game company digitize actual actors for a video game.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 06:55 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

With the exception of that horrible Street Fighter: The Movie...game, did another video game company digitize actual actors for a video game.

Not that I'm aware of. erm

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 09:28 AM
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Well, I might have to look it up when I get the chance.

It may have been a game from the 1990s.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 01:20 AM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

If Johnny didn't appear in MKvsDCU, you know that the respect for this guy went and plummeted.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 10:25 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Not really. Like the rest of the MK characters who weren't playable in this game, he didn't make the cut. It doesn't mean he lost his popularity and respect, it just means he wasn't considered for the game.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 11:38 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

it just means he wasn't considered for the game.

Well, he was considered (along with Goro, Robin, and Aquaman). It's just for some reason, Midway apparently wanted to narrow down the roster/make it smaller, which resulted in killing off 4 or more considered characters, Cage included. I think Midway just wanted to avoid having too big a roster to avoid making the same mistakes they did with Armageddon. erm Cage is just one unlucky character I guess.

But I was hoping me bumping this thread when I was bored the other day wouldn't result in talking about the same stuff in MK vs DCU again.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 02:33 AM
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Well, it isn't fair. I'm sure that a bigger roster for this game may have increased the sales.

Well, it was expected since most, if not all, Cage fans were disappointed with his exclusion from the game.

Anyway, I found some interesting pictures while browsing the Internet...

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Black Yoshi on Dec 19th, 2008 at 04:39 AM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2008 04:36 AM