KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Science

Science
Started by: Endless Mike

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by debbiejo
He wants to blow up a planet. sad
Kewl. I have one in mind. Just give me a few minutes to pack my bags and rent a shuttle.

Anyway, I found this...

"Calculations:
Notations to be used:
r = distance from core of planet
R = Radius of planet
p = density of planet
G = Newton's gravitational constant = 6.67 x 10^-11
M = mass of core
m = mass of planet = p times V
U = gravitational potential energy
E = energy (total)
pi = 3.14159...etc
V = volume, for a sphere = (4/3)pi R^3
I will calculate the gravitational potential energy between a "shell" of the planet and the core, then integrate from r=0 to r=R. A shell can be imagined by visualizing the planet as composed of many layers of infinetely thin shells with thickness dr. There would be shells at every distance r from 0 to R.

A shell would have mass dm = p times dV. dV is the volume of the shell, which would be the surface area of the shell times the thickness. So dV =

(4*pi*r^2)*dr. Thus, dm = p * (4*pi*r^2)*dr

First, the gravitational potential energy is:

U(r) = -GMm / r

So, the potential energy of a shell of mass dm at distance r would be

dU(r) = -GM dm / r

The mass M is the mass of the core: ie. the mass of everything from radius 0 to radius r where the shell is. From the shell theorem, we can regard this mass as acting as a point mass at the centre of the planet. Mass is p times V so M = p*(4/3)*pi*r^3.

So then plugging in the above values for M and dm, we get:

dU(r) = -(16/3)G*(p^2)*(pi^2)*(r^4)*dr

Everything on the right is a constant except for the (r^4)dr part, whose integral is (1/5)*r^5. Now integrating the above expression from r=0 to r=R, we will get:

E = U (total) = -(16/3)*G*(p^2)*(pi^2)*(R^5)

So then, to free all these particles and explode the planet, we need to make the total energy be at least 0. So if we gave the planet the amount of energy E as above then it would explode. Any extra energy more than E would give the particles kinetic energy and determines how fast the pieces fly about.

For the Earth, R = 6.38x10^6 metres.
And density, under our assumptions = mass / volume = 5497 kg/m^3

Putting these numbers in, we get the energy to "explode" the Earth to be 2 x 10^32 J. So then the magnitude of energy to explode the Earth is somewhere in the range of 10^32 J."

Happy Dance

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 05:27 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

10^32 J OMG

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 05:31 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Hahaha pwnage

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 05:33 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Mindship

Putting these numbers in, we get the energy to "explode" the Earth to be 2 x 10^32 J. So then the magnitude of energy to explode the Earth is somewhere in the range of 10^32 J."[/I]

Happy Dance

provided the earth were inside of a vaccum

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 05:35 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by inimalist
we have never witnessed anything close to vaporization anyways...

Well, I just made some tea.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 05:58 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Of course. I'm having Vanilla Latte.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:00 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Science

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Vaporizing a gravitationally bound body (moon or planet for example) takes far less energy than actually destroying it.

If the Earth were to be vaporized, the vapor would still have the same mass as the original matter of the earth, and gravity would pull it back together. The gas giant planets like Jupiter and Saturn are made of gas (vapor) and they hold together just fine. To destroy a gravitationally bound body you have to scatter its mass in all directions to the point where gravity cannot pull it back together again. This takes far more energy.

If you claim otherwise you are scientifically ignorant.

It's so strange that you would start this topic, as I just changed my you_tube video page to "gravitational topic/physics" yesterday.

I hope you aren't cyber staking a person (I've had that happen and it's a very strange feeling, it doesn't make you think of the person/group or think well of them, I think I had proven it happened in another msg board, as she kept the same user name, but mocked my thread in another forum (w/o mentioning my user name, but less then 5 hours after she posted on here, she started a mock thread in another msg board about the same topic but with a negative slant, but she kept the same user name in both msg boards))..., it's easy to do b/c it's been done to me many times before, for example, in this situation, in some posts or threads, I leave comments on the you_tube links, so once you see the link, and look at the comment sections, it's easy to see my user name (CC) and look at the main page.

But, I don't know, if you are doing that to someone (or myself) and they figure it out, it's usually not a good thing. It's like you are following a person and trying to copy or mimick them b/c you haven't developed your own interests or you want to test that person's interest and see how others respond to it. It's as if you aren't your own person yet, and SEEMS like you're taking a possessive route with someone you don't know, following a person is taking a possessive route, it demonstrates the idea that the other's person's liberty isn't important and you are latching onto that person (either by gender, race, ethnicity, or interests...)w/o their permission, so it's stalkerish, either online or in person.

I could be wrong, and if I am, my apologies.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CzarinaCzarina

Last edited by Czarina_Czarina on Sep 21st, 2007 at 06:15 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:03 PM
Czarina_Czarina is currently offline Click here to Send Czarina_Czarina a Private Message Find more posts by Czarina_Czarina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Science

Originally posted by Czarina_Czarina
It's so strange that you would start this topic, as I just changed my you_tube video page to "gravitational topic/physics"

I hope you arent' cyber staking a person..., it's easy to do, in some posts or threads, I leave comments on the you_tube links, so once you see the link, and look at the comment sections, it's easy to see my name and look at the main page.

But, I don't know, if you are doing that to someone (or myself) and they figure it out, it's usually not a good thing. It's like you are following a person and trying to copy or mimick them b/c you haven't developed your own interests or you want to test that person's interest and see how others respond to it. I could be wrong, and if I am, my apologies.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:05 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

It's so strange that you would start this topic, as I just changed my you_tube video page to "gravitational topic/physics"

I hope you arent' cyber staking a person..., it's easy to do, in some posts or threads, I leave comments on the you_tube links, so once you see the link, and look at the comment sections, it's easy to see my name and look at the main page.

But, I don't know, if you are doing that to someone (or myself) and they figure it out, it's usually not a good thing. It's like you are following a person and trying to copy or mimick them b/c you haven't developed your own interests or you want to test that person's interest and see how others respond to it. I could be wrong, and if I am, my apologies.

Possibly the gravest accusation of recent years, including War Crime.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:06 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Do you know the difference between a scientific theory and the common use of the word "theory" (which just means hypothesis)?

do you get off on blowing hot air and insulting the intelligence of others?

oh you'll fit right in here.

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:08 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Who reads Czarina anymore? I skip it every time now.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:15 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course. I'm having Vanilla Latte.

i love those...

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:15 PM
Czarina_Czarina is currently offline Click here to Send Czarina_Czarina a Private Message Find more posts by Czarina_Czarina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Possibly the gravest accusation of recent years, including War Crime.

then it was just a coincidence...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=CzarinaCzarina

(and no, i'm not advertising, just demonstrating a point, i changed the page yesterday, so it's just a coincidence or something bazaar).

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:17 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

They're addicting. I hope no one blows up the planet. I kind of like it here.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:18 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

They're addicting. I hope no one blows up the planet. I kind of like it here.

why would someone blow up the planent? a country maybe, but the planet????

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:19 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Well, there is a conspiracy theory on how to do it.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:21 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by inimalist
provided the earth were inside of a vaccum

We could try putting it in space or something O_o

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:21 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

why would someone blow up the planent? a country maybe, but the planet????

You're joking right?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:22 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Czarina_Czarina
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
You're joking right?

not really, i'll look it up...i never read anything about someone or some group wanting to blow up the entire planet (wwIII, but that wouldn't destroy the entire planent)...

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:25 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

not really, i'll look it up...i never read anything about someone or some group wanting to blow up the entire planet (wwIII, but that wouldn't destroy the entire planent)...

The primary motivation who be annihilation of all life on the planet. Which is a noble goal if I do say so myself (and I don't)

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 06:26 PM