KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Cops: Maddie buried in Spain

Cops: Maddie buried in Spain
Started by: Zebedee

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
tsilamini

Man, I'm totally out of the loop on this one.

Would someone mind explaining what the scenario was when the girl was nabbed?

While I do see your point Ush, 4-5 may be a little young to be left to explore for hours, but then again, I might be imagining this wrong.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:06 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
No, that's not what I said they were doing.

I didn't say that you said that. That's the impression I get from the case, which is what I was addressing.

You are saying the sensationalism is the media's fault

It's not their fault, they are actually creating it. It's undeniable. Who else is? The police are telling them the information, but as I said, I don't say they are blameless.

but you cannot absolve the police for that because, as I say, they deliberately leaked such sensationalist ideas to the press.

Yeah, well. I'm not.

I am also highly unconvinced by this moral attack on the McCanns for leaving their kids alone. They were about fifty feet away and being checked every hour. I reckon the majority of parents do that at least semi-regularly.

It is rampant paranoia to say that parents must attach themselves 24/7 to their kids.

Apparently it wasn't enough. They were very young to be unsupervised, in my opinion- but not for the reasons that transpired, more to do with what can occur in homes when children aren't supervised properly.

Originally posted by inimalist
Man, I'm totally out of the loop on this one.

Would someone mind explaining what the scenario was when the girl was nabbed?

While I do see your point Ush, 4-5 may be a little young to be left to explore for hours, but then again, I might be imagining this wrong.

The family were on holiday in Portugal. The parents were at a bar, quite close to their apartment, and the children were left back at the apartment. They came to check on them at intervals.

Originally posted by grey fox
Everyone wants this sordid mess to be over with save for the parents who keep on pushing .

The media don't; it's gold for them.

Last edited by Victor Von Doom on Oct 1st, 2007 at 02:04 PM

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 01:58 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom

The media don't; it's gold for them.

That; is true.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:07 PM
Dexter_Morgan is currently offline Click here to Send Dexter_Morgan a Private Message Find more posts by Dexter_Morgan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Nah, I still don't buy that criticism; yoiu can say kids need to be watched 24/7 all you like but I still call bullshit back at you on that one, nor do I think the majority of families actually do that.

Yeah and furthermore even if they had left them for a much shorter time they probably still would have got blamed. As far as im concerned the police dont really give a **** and their like "oh well another kid has gone missing."

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 02:24 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Yeah, they're clearly giving it little or no attention.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:06 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
The family were on holiday in Portugal. The parents were at a bar, quite close to their apartment, and the children were left back at the apartment. They came to check on them at intervals.

children?

what happened to the others?

how old were they?

lol, or maybe i could go look it up myself roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:08 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by inimalist
children?

what happened to the others?

how old were they?

lol, or maybe i could go look it up myself roll eyes (sarcastic)

Nothing happened. There are two others, twins. Either aged one or two.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 03:39 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Nah, I still don't buy that criticism; yoiu can say kids need to be watched 24/7 all you like but I still call bullshit back at you on that one, nor do I think the majority of families actually do that.

Of course !

Because a 5, 1 and 2 year old can clearly look after themselves better then any babysitter could.

The McCanns f*cked up. If this happened in OUR country they'd be prosecuted. Just because your in a place where leaving your kid alone isn't illegal doesn't mean you should do it.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 05:57 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Of course !

Because a 5, 1 and 2 year old can clearly look after themselves better then any babysitter could.

The McCanns f*cked up. If this happened in OUR country they'd be prosecuted. Just because your in a place where leaving your kid alone isn't illegal doesn't mean you should do it.

It's not illegal to leave a kid alone in the U.K.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:33 PM
Dexter_Morgan is currently offline Click here to Send Dexter_Morgan a Private Message Find more posts by Dexter_Morgan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Zebedee
It's not illegal to leave a kid alone in the U.K.

It is when there is potential for risk.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 06:41 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Until she is found, dead or alive, or decisive evidence is found nothing can be ruled out.

Kids that young shouldnīt be left alone imo. They can drown, get electric shocked, fall of the balcony and a whole bunch of other dangers. Especially in a foreign environment in a country where the standards arnīt the same as the original (UK) (electrical cables, balcony etc).

Older kids, say from 8 years if they are that far, ok. For an hour or two.

The press and the family are making a mint out of this event, no matter how sad it is.

I canīt imagine the parents being able to keep it quite this long if they had anything to do with it, sheīs their daughter and they are human someone would have broken down by now.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 07:00 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Until she is found, dead or alive, or decisive evidence is found nothing can be ruled out.

Kids that young shouldnīt be left alone imo. They can drown, get electric shocked, fall of the balcony and a whole bunch of other dangers. Especially in a foreign environment in a country where the standards arnīt the same as the original (UK) (electrical cables, balcony etc).

Older kids, say from 8 years if they are that far, ok. For an hour or two.

The press and the family are making a mint out of this event, no matter how sad it is.

Give this man a cigar !

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 07:12 PM
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

It is when there is potential for risk.

As I said There is no legal minimum age when you can leave your child at home alone.

There is no legal minimum age when you can leave your child at home alone. It's up to the parents to decide when they think their children are ready to be left, and it is probably one of the hardest decisions you make as your child gets older. It's not helped by all the horror stories you hear in the media, homes burning down, strangers at the door, Madeline McCann. As parents we want to protect our children, but we must also teach them how to rely on themselves and be independent from us.

http://www.allaboutyou.com/parentin...ren-home-alone/

She magazine online

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 08:48 PM
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

i think you mean to say "horseshit"

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 09:08 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Bicnarok

I canīt imagine the parents being able to keep it quite this long if they had anything to do with it, sheīs their daughter and they are human someone would have broken down by now.

The thing about that is, and I don't speculate either way, the reactions of having done it, and having had her abducted wouldn't necessarily be that different.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 09:33 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

As I said There is no legal minimum age when you can leave your child at home alone.

There is no legal minimum age when you can leave your child at home alone. It's up to the parents to decide when they think their children are ready to be left, and it is probably one of the hardest decisions you make as your child gets older. It's not helped by all the horror stories you hear in the media, homes burning down, strangers at the door, Madeline McCann. As parents we want to protect our children, but we must also teach them how to rely on themselves and be independent from us.

http://www.allaboutyou.com/parentin...ren-home-alone/

She magazine online

Yes there is, it is an offence worthy of investigation by social services, to leave a child who's under the age of twelve alone.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 09:42 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Of course !

Err, no, they would not be prosecuted, that is absolutely ridiculous.

As to saying that you cannot leave them alone in case they electrocute themselves... she was in bed! You saying you need to stay with them all darn night?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 09:46 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Yes there is, it is an offence worthy of investigation by social services, to leave a child who's under the age of twelve alone.

That's actually not true. It's all about "risk assessment". The McCanns would argue they were checking on Maddie more than they would overnight if she was sleeping and so the risk were assessed.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/helpandadvi...e_wda35965.html

What the law says

The law does not set a minimum age at which children can be left alone. However, it is an offence to leave a child alone when doing so puts him or her at risk.

How do you decide if you can safely leave a child alone?

There are many important things to consider before you decide to leave a child alone. These include:

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 10:21 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's actually not true.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/helpandadvi...e_wda35965.html

What the law says

The law does not set a minimum age at which children can be left alone. However, it is an offence to leave a child alone when doing so puts him or her at risk.

How do you decide if you can safely leave a child alone?

There are many important things to consider before you decide to leave a child alone. These include:

Whether the child is at risk is what social services would investigate. If you were reported to be leaving a five year old at home, to social services, you would be investigated. They will look at your reasons for doing so, any kind of dangerous materials in the house (this could even be something like an iron).

My dad's the director of social services in the south west, I've heard some horrible stories of parents and children having to be parted.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 10:26 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexter_Morgan
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Whether the child is at risk is what social services would investigate. If you were reported to be leaving a five year old at home, to social services, you would be investigated. They will look at your reasons for doing so, any kind of dangerous materials in the house (this could even be something like an iron).

Social Servies might investigate, personally I would doubt it given the fact two health professionals the people social services go to for advice had done the risk assessment. That aside if a child is being checked on as often as they say, it would be debateable if it was even considered left alone. Social services in a case where a death or abduction had occurred would investigate. I doubt again given the parental risk assessment they would be able to do anything and given these parents positions I am certain they would not.

Just a bit of advice Chil, it's not agood idea to give out personal info online, particularly if your dad has a high ranking public sector job. I've edited who your Dad is out of my post, you might want a Mod to do that to the post above.

Last edited by Dexter_Morgan on Oct 1st, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Old Post Oct 1st, 2007 10:41 PM