KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Wikipedia's standards fall yet again...

Wikipedia's standards fall yet again...
Started by: Zeal Ex Nihilo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Wiki's alright. It's a good starting point usually if one is alien to a subject.

CORRECT.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 01:11 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Wikipedia's standards fall yet again...

Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Lulz.
I can't believe I missed this. How does Wiki phail at this, when what is being said is true? Sasuke is gay as hell, all the b*tches wanna f*ck him and he ignores them, yet when Orochimaru(Michael Jackson) gives him a hickey, all of the sudden he wants to go and live in his village.

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 09:58 AM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by lord xyz
Could've been more specific.

Could have been less stupid.

Wrong can mean unsuitable, and an unreliable source, is unsuitable to use.

No. Not in this sentence: "Wikipedia is wrong because it contridicts itself"

But it's not likely is it?

Yes, it is very likely.

Yes. I know that.

What made you say something as stupid as above then?

I did admit it. I'd prefer that you actually told me I used the wrong word instead of this bullshit.

I'd prefer if you'd not constantly post a bunch of bullshit and hope people take it the way that suits them best.

Be accurate with your words. It is very annoying.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 11:52 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
I'm confused. Why does JacopeX fail at--I'm not exaggerating here--everything? Seriously. Pretty much everything he writes is mixed with a good helping of failure.

"Anything that is highly famous will always have it's cridics.

Example, Wikipedia."

NURH.
Because everyone misses every ****ing point which is one of the reasons I hardly come here because everyone tends to skim through a post and try to find something so called "Stupid". And everyones main purpose here is to starting a bash fest. For now, i'll be the mature one and ignore it.

Anways

EXAMPLE: MCdonalds is highly famous, yet it has its own cridics of diet freaks.

Do you understand yet? Or must I explains it all in essay form? Or dashes in between each word, just so that it won't go too fast for you. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The more you question it, the less you will understand.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 02:31 PM
JacopeX is currently offline Click here to Send JacopeX a Private Message Find more posts by JacopeX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lana
Wikipedia does not contradict itself, the people who write and edit the articles can, though.

Just because stuff that's obviously false gets edited out doesn't mean wrong info still doesn't get put in there.

I hope you don't ever try and use it as a source for something like a school paper, because no one with any common sense would accept that.
The main purpose of a site like Wiki is to give information that has been proven with source from books, news, television, etc. A person with common sense can also see information being vandalized as well. Once I went to go look up an Article on "Diego Forlan" and everything was erased saying "**** Urugay! Gay ass Forlan 3333".

of course, that is a way to pick up vandilised articles.

And yes, I have been using it as a source. Explain my good grades. smile

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 02:36 PM
JacopeX is currently offline Click here to Send JacopeX a Private Message Find more posts by JacopeX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by JacopeX
Explain my good grades. smile

You suck your teacher's cock?

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 03:01 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JacopeX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bardock42
You suck your teacher's cock?
LOL, good one. laughing

No, it's because I have gotten better in school since I am taking it more serious than before and since this is my Junior year, I put laotm ore effort within my work, essays, etc.

Wikipedia does have reliable source and it helped me alot. Think whatever you want, I will just continue with my studies.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 03:03 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wikipedia does not contradict itself, the people who write and edit the articles can, though.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 03:08 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Though the articles are sometimes bizarre in content, I am impressed with how Wikipedia keeps their information current. For instance, there could be a baseball game where some dude streaked onto the field and started humping one of the umpires, and something like "Naked Streak Love" would have its own link 2 days later.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 03:37 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Because everyone misses every ****ing point which is one of the reasons I hardly come here because everyone tends to skim through a post and try to find something so called "Stupid". And everyones main purpose here is to starting a bash fest. For now, i'll be the mature one and ignore it.

Anways

Do you understand yet? Or must I explains it all in essay form? Or dashes in between each word, just so that it won't go too fast for you. roll eyes (sarcastic)

JacopeX, your post rarely have a point; that is a fact. Not sure if it is just the way you write and your point doesn't come through as you visualized it, or if you just post pointless posts. You also tend to make many ignorant generalizations. I am not trying to bash you here; just explain why you get so much flack.

Again, what does that have to do with anything? Something having critics doesn't make it correct, proper, better etc. etc. etc. by default.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Oct 8th, 2007 at 04:31 PM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 04:28 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And yes, I have been using it as a source. Explain my good grades. smile

Inadequate vetting by teachers.

There is absoluterly no way wikipedia counts as a good source and anyone letting it through as one is being derelict in duty.

There are several reasons for this:

1. NO encyclopedia is a good source. Encyclopedias are compendiums of information, NOT sources. The point of sources are to be things coming from expert testimony, and without that expert source they are worthless- source may as well be the girl next door. Encyclopedias use sources for their info; use those sources, not the content of books that have no claim to expertise. To further this, Wikipedia has an extremely clear 'no original research' rule. All of it must come from somewhere else, and it itself has no claim to fact.

2. One of the points of referencing is to provide due credit. Wikipedia is anonymous. It therefore breaks one of the cardinal rules of being a good source.

3. As has been repeatedly pointed out, Wikipedia is not a reliable source as there are no controls over who contributes. When it comes to referencing, your opinion on whether the source is any good or not is irrelevant. The only important thing is that the source can be objectively recognised as being expert else the reference is entirely pointless.

I will remind you the founder and head of Wikipedia has specifically said "Do not use wikipeida as a reference." Wiki is commonly rejected as a source by all respectable academic instituions and with good cause.

You do yourself no favours by using it as one and any good grades tha rely upon it have not been properly earned. This kind of cavalier treatment of sources might just abbout fly by poor vetting where you are right now but it will not be accepted in any decent institutuon and it is best you learn that right now before trying it with one once you go to College.

Wikipedia simply and objectively fails in this regard- if you can use the word 'fail', bcause to be used as source material is manifestly NOT what Wikipedia is actually trying to do.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 8th, 2007 at 07:59 PM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 06:14 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Originally posted by Ushgarak

1. NO encyclopedia is a good source. Encyclopedias are compendiums of information, NOT sources. The point of sources are to be things coming from expert testimony, and without that expert source they are worthless- source may as well be the girl next door. Encyclopedias use sources for their info; use those sources, not the content of books that have no claim to expertise. To further this, Wikipedia has an extremely clear 'no original research' rule. All of it must come from somewhere else, and it itself has no claim to fact.

I keep wondering why no one is mentioning this. Wiki does actually have places where citations can be referenced at the bottom of the page. Wiki is not the source you cite.

Geez.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 07:22 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Yet people do cite wiki as a source, and not everything posted on there IS sourced.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 07:36 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't use it as a source, only to copy and paste work and to prove a claim.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 07:39 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Yet people do cite wiki as a source, and not everything posted on there IS sourced.

Agreed, but check the parts that are cited.

Even the Naruto section has chapter of the manga cited as a source for information.

Take it with a grain of salt as with most things until you check multiple sources.

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 07:54 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

no way!!! ive seen that sorgo guy pwn lotz of noobs by quoting wikipedia. skillz

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 08:49 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wiki can be unreliable by itself, I prefer to get links from it.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 09:12 PM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Wiki can be unreliable by itself, I prefer to get links from it.

Indeed. Random internet sites are well known for their scruples and accuracy.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 09:15 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Indeed. Random internet sites are well known for their scruples and accuracy.
I mean official sites that they link to that ARE reliable.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 09:15 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

McDonalds has critics because it has bad food, nice of you to make that comparison.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2007 09:16 PM