KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Wikipedia's standards fall yet again...

Wikipedia's standards fall yet again...
Started by: Zeal Ex Nihilo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

what better source is there to determine whether wikipedia is a valid source than...wikipedia? thats right, wikipedia has expressed their opinion on whether their site is a valid source for information. the answer: no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe..._with_Wikipedia

quote:
First you should question the appropriateness of citing any encyclopedia as a source or reference. This is not simply a Wikipedia-specific issue, as most secondary schools and institutions of higher learning do not consider encyclopedias, in general, a proper citable source. Citation of Wikipedia in research papers has been known to result in a failing grade

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Wikipediamessedchools%27_FAQ#Is_Wikipedia_accurate_and
_reliable.3F[/url]
(EDIT: kmc's smilies forbid me from posting a working link, but you can use the search function)

quote:
WIkipedia, like any encyclopedia, is a great starting place for research but not always a great ending place.

(horribly understated, but none the less...)

...anyone who sites wikipedia is clearly an idiot. and for those who have confessed to using it as a direct source and are asking themselves "is he calling me an idiot?": yes. yes i am.

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Last edited by Schecter on Oct 10th, 2007 at 04:37 AM

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 04:35 AM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

People who use wiki as an official source:

(please log in to view the image)

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 10:17 AM
Violent2Dope is currently offline Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by General Kaliero
I would like to point out that at my college, using Wikipedia as a source for your paper automatically earns you a fail on the assignment. Regardless of the subject or information.

Wikipedia. Is. Not. A. Recognized. Source. At. My. College.

Hehe.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2007 08:07 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe I should just go outside the box and say Wikipedia is an Encyclopedia. Encyclopedia's are more about defining things (like Dictionaries, but different information on the word(s)). They're not really sources.

Originally posted by Violent2Dope
People who use wiki as an official source:

(please log in to view the image)
Anyone else think it's funny how associated with JacopeX this is?

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 09:59 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by lord xyz
Maybe I should just go outside the box and say Wikipedia is an Encyclopedia. Encyclopedia's are more about defining things (like Dictionaries, but different information on the word(s)). They're not really sources.

Anyone else think it's funny how associated with JacopeX this is?

quote:
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
I'm confused. Why does JacopeX fail at--I'm not exaggerating here--everything? Seriously. Pretty much everything he writes is mixed with a good helping of failure.

"Anything that is highly famous will always have it's cridics.

Example, Wikipedia."

NURH.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 10:02 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just a joke parodying the rumour, and the fact he acts irrational at times. I actually do like him, I just think there are times he needs to chill and think twice, or rather, outside his side of a debate.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 10:06 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by lord xyz
I just think there are times he needs to chill and think

Fixed that for you.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 10:07 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fixed that for you.
Cool.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2007 10:11 PM
Smell the glove
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wikipedia is not meant as a reference source. It does have it's uses though. "The centre for learning", part of the Institue for Education in London cite it heavily in the publication "Inspiring post 16 Science education". It does have a role as a quick introduction to send people in the right direction to both read around a subject and ask the right questions in tutorials. Viva the Wiki.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2007 07:17 PM
Smell the glove is currently offline Click here to Send Smell the glove a Private Message Find more posts by Smell the glove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote