KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Do wizard need magic wands to do magic?

Do wizard need magic wands to do magic?
Started by: Sam Z

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sam Z
Restricted

Account Restricted

Do wizard need magic wands to do magic?

We know that all young wizards can do magic long before they get their first magic wands. Then they go to school. And for some reason the moment they lose their weapon in a fight they're completely helpless. What's up with that? Also, in POA book Harry opens a wardrobe with a spell to get his wand out of it. Which means that wizards do not really need wands to do magic. I always thought of wands as of just a beter way to release magic powers, but in the last book it seems that wizards can't do crap without their weapons, not even teleport.

So what do you think about this? confused

Oh, and while I'm at it. Do you, guys think that "protego" spell can block or deflect bullets?

Last edited by Sam Z on Oct 17th, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2007 10:36 AM
Sam Z is currently offline Click here to Send Sam Z a Private Message Find more posts by Sam Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Wizards generally can only produce wandless magic when they're under great stress or emotion. For example, in OotP, Harry sort of Summons his wand using wandless magic, because he is so desperate to save himself and Dudley from the dementors.

The example of blowing up Aunt Marge is also wandless magic - Harry was pushed past his anger limit, and so he accidentally performed wandless magic.

I think that wands in the wizarding world are more of a way to control a wizard's powers than anything else, to help channel everything. Otherwise there would just be little bursts of magic happening all the time whenever someone had an excessive emotion.

We also know that extremely powerful wizards can perform wandless magic under control - Dumbledore can do this, for example.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2007 10:57 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
potcfan2003

I think that you can perform accidental wandless magic, but not controlled unless you're a great wizard like Dumbledore... I think wizards need wands to perform magic on purpose...

thank you to Mrs.Fish for the siggy!!

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 05:38 PM
potcfan2003 is currently offline Click here to Send potcfan2003 a Private Message Find more posts by potcfan2003 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ndfreak
Master Chief

But There is the notion that you can perform magic you've never been able to do before under life threatening circumstances or hard times. For instance if you lose your wand and are about to be killed, maybe you'd be able to stun the attacker without a wand. Just a thought.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2007 02:17 AM
ndfreak is currently offline Click here to Send ndfreak a Private Message Find more posts by ndfreak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gh_hr _for_eva
xXxmaddyxXx

i think the fact that is potrayed in the book is that you need to not be powerful but be strong the wand is just an advice to help the core release magic

Old Post Dec 30th, 2007 02:16 PM
gh_hr _for_eva is currently offline Click here to Send gh_hr _for_eva a Private Message Find more posts by gh_hr _for_eva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
regina414

I think those wands help wizards to moderately execute their powers.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2008 03:39 PM
regina414 is currently offline Click here to Send regina414 a Private Message Find more posts by regina414 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rajendra
just hanging around

i believe magics is what your mind perceives and it is the product of your thoughts...

Old Post Jan 28th, 2008 07:02 PM
Rajendra is currently offline Click here to Send Rajendra a Private Message Find more posts by Rajendra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

Wizards can do magic without wands. Some of the examples are what siriuswriter listed out. There's also the time when Harry released the snake, magically appeared on top of his school, turned his teacher's hair purple, and when Lily Evans levitated herself.

In the seventh book, the goblins reveal that they are bitter because wizards do not teach them the art of wand-magic. In turn, they refuse to teach the wizards hand-magic.

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2008 01:08 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marco_taco5

I agree, and i do think that a POWERFUL shield charm (protego) could block bullets coz it block physical contact.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2008 08:40 AM
marco_taco5 is currently offline Click here to Send marco_taco5 a Private Message Find more posts by marco_taco5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jdea

quote: (post)
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Wizards generally can only produce wandless magic when they're under great stress or emotion. For example, in OotP, Harry sort of Summons his wand using wandless magic, because he is so desperate to save himself and Dudley from the dementors.

The example of blowing up Aunt Marge is also wandless magic - Harry was pushed past his anger limit, and so he accidentally performed wandless magic.

I think that wands in the wizarding world are more of a way to control a wizard's powers than anything else, to help channel everything. Otherwise there would just be little bursts of magic happening all the time whenever someone had an excessive emotion.

We also know that extremely powerful wizards can perform wandless magic under control - Dumbledore can do this, for example.

well said, I agree 100%

I love this stuff!!!

Old Post Jun 11th, 2008 01:08 PM
jdea is currently offline Click here to Send jdea a Private Message Find more posts by jdea Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
trevor9999

i think wands are a good way to channel magic, but not control it. i think it depends on the kind of wizard you are, the kind of wand you have, and how you feel at a time with no wand and you are in danger. like how harry was feeling about his father and guardian when he was at the white lake, dementors circling all around. smart it all shows how much you research reading smart smart

Old Post Sep 24th, 2008 09:03 PM
trevor9999 is currently offline Click here to Send trevor9999 a Private Message Find more posts by trevor9999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deception
Ancient Dark Lord

You would think so...

Otherwise why would Voldemort, Dumbledore and all the Death Eaters utilise their wands?

Perhaps for weaker or lesser magic skills they won't need it but for every lethal or powerful spell, they would require a wand to do so..

Old Post Oct 11th, 2008 06:59 AM
Deception is currently offline Click here to Send Deception a Private Message Find more posts by Deception Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cheesemon16

NO they don't because dumbledore dosnt use a wand and he dose magic.

Old Post May 24th, 2009 12:30 PM
cheesemon16 is currently offline Click here to Send cheesemon16 a Private Message Find more posts by cheesemon16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Only in movies. I dont recall him use magic without the wand in the books. Harry on the other hand did it several times. Sometimes by accident and once on purpose.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post May 26th, 2009 05:24 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

No.

They need their wands to better focus their magic though.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Jun 16th, 2009 01:41 AM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
allofyousuckkk
Amazingly Awesome

In the movies, powerful wizards like Dumbledore are able to do wandless magic.

However, in the book it never specifies whether or not wandless magic can be used. Dumbledore never actually does it, and the instance in the 5th book where Harry is trying to find his wand, his spell doesn't work.

If I'm not mistaken, it's explained that wands are used to focus a wizard's power through the magical core, and many different things can be used to do this, however a wand is obviously preferable.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2009 08:38 AM
allofyousuckkk is currently offline Click here to Send allofyousuckkk a Private Message Find more posts by allofyousuckkk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

little kiddie wizards and witches do it by accident all the time when theyre young whixh is why they arent monitored and punished for performing magic at home until they enter school and recieve a wand

Old Post Aug 9th, 2009 01:17 AM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eyebuck108

Usually, witches and wizards accustomed to using wands can only reliably perform wandless magic if they possess great skill. However, within regions of the wizarding world that historically did not use wands, wandless magic is considered the norm, and using one is optional.

Old Post May 17th, 2020 07:40 PM
eyebuck108 is currently offline Click here to Send eyebuck108 a Private Message Find more posts by eyebuck108 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote