KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Dumbledore outed by Rowling (link)

Dumbledore outed by Rowling (link)
Started by: lionlover2053

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lionlover2053

Dumbledore outed by Rowling (link)

FYI if nobody has reported it yet:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...ertainment=true

Well this certainly goes with Rowling's theme of intolerance, for anyone who cares.

For the record, I'm glad she created him this way and had the guts to say it.

Last edited by lionlover2053 on Oct 20th, 2007 at 03:15 AM

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 03:11 AM
lionlover2053 is currently offline Click here to Send lionlover2053 a Private Message Find more posts by lionlover2053 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lionlover2053

Your thoughts folks? I could care less...I actually think it's interesting and makes a lot of sense after reading the article. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that others may be less than thrilled though.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 03:20 AM
lionlover2053 is currently offline Click here to Send lionlover2053 a Private Message Find more posts by lionlover2053 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FallenxAngel
No More Grey Skies.

If you could care less, why did you post it?

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 06:10 AM
FallenxAngel is currently offline Click here to Send FallenxAngel a Private Message Find more posts by FallenxAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arctic
Crazy Forum Guy

UMMMMMM...yeah, I read this on Mugglenet....and frankly, I'm disturbed to the depths of my soul.

I thought it was a joke at first...

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 06:54 AM
Arctic is currently offline Click here to Send Arctic a Private Message Find more posts by Arctic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

It seems a completely unnecessary attempt to lengthen the publicity of the Harry Potter franchise now that the books are over. It's a shame Rowling has resorted to such drastic statements in order to lengthen the publicity of a series that, well, didn't need it. sad

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 10:37 AM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lionlover2053

FallenxAngel,

I posted it because this is a Harry Potter forum where HP fans discuss things related to the books and movies. I wanted to hear what people's thoughts were like anyone else in this forum.

For the record, I think Grindelwald was far more intelligent than Voldemort, and that Ginny was the best of the kid-duelests, but could care less if Rowling came out and said that it was not so. It might be something to discuss in forums though.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 12:30 PM
Hazardous

Meh, the Grindelwald/Dumbledore parts make a bit more sense but other than that its a bit of an unnecessary add on. Why reveal it now? No one would have guessed/known now that the books are done and he's dead...she seems to be taking the George Lucas 'Ill keep adding stuff even after its finished cause I can' route...

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 01:16 PM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

She was asked a questioned, and she answered it honestly....I don't see a problem in that.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 02:00 PM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sam Z
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why? Why did she have to say something like that after the story's ended? What next? James and Sirius had sexual relations???

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 04:10 PM
Sam Z is currently offline Click here to Send Sam Z a Private Message Find more posts by Sam Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

I don't see how it makes much difference, personally. Okay, so Dumbledore is gay. But he still did magnificent things with his life and for other people.

It was a bold stroke for JK to "out" Dumbledore, but it just further shows her tolerance for all different kinds of people, and it doesn't make Dumbledore any less of a person.

Unrelated, but : I thought it was awesome how she mentioned fanfics. It really shows that she knows what's going on in the world of Harry Potter after it leaves her hands.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 04:23 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sam Z
Restricted

Account Restricted

She does. She always makes comments about shippers who want her dead because Hermione ended up with Ron, and not Harry.big grin
Speaking of which, it was kinda clear to me that it's gonna be Hermine/Ron and Harry/Jenny since I read book 2...

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 05:24 PM
Sam Z is currently offline Click here to Send Sam Z a Private Message Find more posts by Sam Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katie_girl09

Was that revelation REALLY necessary? The books are over with- leave it to the imagination. Can someone *please* remind J.K. Rowling that her job is to write books for children (and those that are young at heart, of course) and not to further political agendas? I always had a sneeking suspicion that Rowling thought very highly of herself as an author, but this proves it imho.
I also agree with whoever said that it is an attempt to create more controversy around Harry Potter now that its over.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2007 05:52 PM
katie_girl09 is currently offline Click here to Send katie_girl09 a Private Message Find more posts by katie_girl09 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keith Talent
-

"Dumbledore is gay"

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=267167

To whoever speculated this, you were right. More reason for religious people (not all of them, you know what i mean) to go on a rant.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 12:16 AM
Keith Talent is currently offline Click here to Send Keith Talent a Private Message Find more posts by Keith Talent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FallenxAngel
No More Grey Skies.

Rogue is gonna close this thread ya know. smile

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 12:18 AM
FallenxAngel is currently offline Click here to Send FallenxAngel a Private Message Find more posts by FallenxAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keith Talent
-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FallenxAngel
Rogue is gonna close this thread ya know. smile

She is? why?

Edit: Just realized that its a duplicate, Rogue can close it, my bad.

Last edited by Keith Talent on Oct 21st, 2007 at 12:33 AM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 12:25 AM
Keith Talent is currently offline Click here to Send Keith Talent a Private Message Find more posts by Keith Talent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

Originally posted by katie_girl09
Was that revelation REALLY necessary? The books are over with- leave it to the imagination. Can someone *please* remind J.K. Rowling that her job is to write books for children (and those that are young at heart, of course) and not to further political agendas? I always had a sneeking suspicion that Rowling thought very highly of herself as an author, but this proves it imho.
I also agree with whoever said that it is an attempt to create more controversy around Harry Potter now that its over.
Um, no, it's not her job to write children's books...It's her job, as an author, to write: to whatever end she wants to do that, furthering a supposed "political agenda" then that's her choice.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 12:26 AM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MistressofSnape
Slytherin's Bookaholic

Well, I cracked up when I found out the whole "Dumbledore is gay" thing... if anything, it gives the other slash shippers hope; if Dumbledore can be gay, why not Harry or Draco? And the explosion of Dumbledore/Grindlewad that's going to come to the surface... I always thought ol' Dumbly was a bit fruity, myself... Though, the Albus/Minvera shippers got a rude slap in the face... I suppose they'll do as every other shipper who's "ship" has be de-canonized - pretend they can still take the canon on.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 01:33 AM
MistressofSnape is currently offline Click here to Send MistressofSnape a Private Message Find more posts by MistressofSnape Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

Originally posted by katie_girl09

She didn't call a news conference just to say this specific information - she was at a question and answer session and somebody asked had Dumbledore ever had a love he'd lost or something like that.

We all know that JK gives us as much information about the Potter world as we ask for - this just hasn't come up before. She created this part of Dumbledore when she created Dumbledore - and now she's revealing a part of Dumbledore that we didn't know before. She isn't asking for publicity, publicity just naturally draws toward an answer like this.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 02:12 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Originally posted by Darth Macabre
She was asked a questioned, and she answered it honestly....I don't see a problem in that.

Originally posted by siriuswriter
She didn't call a news conference just to say this specific information - she was at a question and answer session and somebody asked had Dumbledore ever had a love he'd lost or something like that.

We all know that JK gives us as much information about the Potter world as we ask for - this just hasn't come up before. She created this part of Dumbledore when she created Dumbledore - and now she's revealing a part of Dumbledore that we didn't know before. She isn't asking for publicity, publicity just naturally draws toward an answer like this.

I agree with you both.

Personally, I don't see any problem with declaring Dumbledore a homosexual; indeed, it seems rather obvious, now that I think of it. Why didn't Dumbledore confront Grindelwald sooner? Because he loved him.

You know, I really despise the whole "children's book" offense/defense. In my opinion, the wide range of issues dealt with in the books make it a much more adult story than most others that I have read.

BTW: If people are going to condemn J.K. Rowling for answering questions about topics not covered in the books, they may as well condemn all authors, and anyone who speaks about their works after they have finished them - I don't think I have ever heard of one who has not addressed issues/topics from their work outside of their work, to the benefit of the audience.

Last edited by The Rover on Oct 21st, 2007 at 02:34 AM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 02:30 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lionlover2053

And also, it seems that some of you (but not all) have not noticed when reading the books that much of the entire series is a testament to tolerance of those who are very different. How can you not get that? How could you not see that while reading the books?

One could just as easily substitute "Mudblood" for a racial slur, or look a little harder at the classism issues most notably shown between the Malfoy family and the Weasley family.

Dumbledore is gay- so what? It's not like he's Voldemort/Hitler and wants to commit genocide!

Old Post Oct 21st, 2007 03:44 AM