KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Luke Cage Respect Thread

Luke Cage Respect Thread
Started by: SuperiorTech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

I fully expect Bendis to capitalize on this success and finally have Cage flying, shooting lasers out of his eyes, and blowing out stars in far away galaxies, like he's always wanted.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2016 12:55 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
The funny thing, is a lot of people write off his high end stuff as PIS.

Yet totally accept Danny's highs. Much as I'm a fan of Lord Rand, objectively just as many writers back in the day wrote that an Iron Fist CAN'T put Cage down. It waffled back and forth all the time, depending on writer (And editorial fiat to an extent. I firmly believe Claremont was told to let Cage win their first match, as every scene for the rest of his introduction into "Power Man" had Danny one upping him.)

Yea I wonder why that happened, this is what I've been saying about some of these writers (or there bosses) for a long time. I think there were racist reasons for that even though they won't admit it.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
http://screenrant.com/superpowers-y...-luke-cage-had/ (view article in one page)

Bendis must be in heaven, seeing how much attention Luke's getting now, lol.

I like Luke Cage but my issue with him is that he's being promoted solely because he's black not because he's really any good. That article was just saying he has superhuman strength and durability in different ways.

My issue with Luke Cage is he's not particularly good at what he does. Cage is essentially a brick I think there are bricks that come to mind which are much better and more versatile than Cage. It's not hard to think of mainstream bricks which are better than him. For crying out loud Iron fist punches harder than he does, this is what kills me. Cage is a brick his job is to punch stuff really hard but yet a character who isn't a brick punches harder than him.

You have some good showings of him in the heroes for hire series but under Bendis he really hasn't done anything. He got his butt handed to him by Wrecker ok Wolverine did as well but when you look at other showings it's not surprising. If you can't at least hold your own against Wrecker you're not a very good brick. Struggled against Gargan Venom, who I think has some decent showings but generally is not impressive. What really makes it clear how bad Luke Cage is the fight between the New Avengers and the Thor clone, again Iron Fist punches harder than Cage and Wolverine goes toe to toe with Thor clone. Cage is a brick it's his job to go up against the heavy hitters ok Wolverine can as well but if he was any good Cage should be able to do so as well, not only did he not do that other characters did a better job at what he was supposed to do.

Bottom line Cage is kinda rubbish. Sure being a superhero isn't just about beating people up but it doesn't matter how great your personality is if you don't have power you can't be a superhero and Cage isn't very good at what he does. I've noticed that there is this emphasis that he's black character, what the point if he's not that good? If you want to promote Cage you need to make him better at what he does.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2016 02:00 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Deadline
Yea I wonder why that happened, this is what I've been saying about some of these writers (or there bosses) for a long time. I think there were racist reasons for that even though they won't admit it.

I like Luke Cage but my issue with him is that he's being promoted solely because he's black not because he's really any good. That article was just saying he has superhuman strength and durability in different ways.

My issue with Luke Cage is he's not particularly good at what he does. Cage is essentially a brick I think there are bricks that come to mind which are much better and more versatile than Cage. It's not hard to think of mainstream bricks which are better than him. For crying out loud Iron fist punches harder than he does, this is what kills me. Cage is a brick his job is to punch stuff really hard but yet a character who isn't a brick punches harder than him.

There might be some discrimination, I wouldn't rule it out.

Ironically, Christopher Priest pushed Danny harder then anybody during his closeing of the series. He's the one who invented red suited "berserk" Iron Fist, and had him KO a guy who hae a pushing contest with Thor.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2016 08:25 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by cdtm
There might be some discrimination, I wouldn't rule it out.

Ironically, Christopher Priest pushed Danny harder then anybody during his closeing of the series. He's the one who invented red suited "berserk" Iron Fist, and had him KO a guy who hae a pushing contest with Thor.

Well who decided to make Danny constantly being better than Cage? It's funny that you're trying to promote a black character (and in those days as well) and you team him up with a white character that makes him better at him at everything even whats supposed to be his strong point. Doesn't it make sense that when you have two characters to make them have different strengths which they excel at? It's different if one of them was a sidekick.

Its near the end of the series as far as I'm aware it was one of his earliest jobs he probably decided to embrace the way things were going instead of going against it. I'm sorry it stinks.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2016 04:58 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
adrainsmith

Luke Cage feels less like Jessica Jones or Daredevil and more like Shaft - but with none of the humor or charm that Richard Roundtree brought to that role in the 1970s.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2017 06:06 AM
adrainsmith is currently offline Click here to Send adrainsmith a Private Message Find more posts by adrainsmith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheHulk
Retired Debater

Sounds more like the writers problem then the actual characters problem to me.

WORD LIFE!!!

Old Post Jun 10th, 2018 01:43 PM
TheHulk is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulk a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alex_Ferrana

Good RT.

Old Post May 2nd, 2022 04:42 PM
Alex_Ferrana is currently offline Click here to Send Alex_Ferrana a Private Message Find more posts by Alex_Ferrana Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote