KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Stanly Kubrick orgie!:)

Stanly Kubrick orgie!:)
Started by: Thomas H

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 6 7 [8]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

a real kubrick fan will at least apreciate all of his films and recognize the fact that they are all masterpieces for different reasons. even if they may not find them that entertaining.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:04 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The ironic thing is that it is Eyes Wide Shut that Kubrick strayed into the realms of the pretentious on. Kubrick's cxlinical touch that served him so well with Paths of Glory and FMJ doesn't work so well with an emotional story like Eyes Wide Shut.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:15 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
Well, it is NOT a crap film at all, it is a GREAT film, simple as THAT- and most people recognise it as such.
that is your opinion Ush and most people? out of my close acquaintances none of them recognise this as a great film. They look at the story of it and found it to be crap. Most people dont go beyond how a film is made they look to the story and if that aint good enough they will think the movie is crap. I found it to be really boring but then again I read the book before I saw the film and I never liked the book either.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:25 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I have no objection to people not liking the film but pretentious is an inappropriate lable. I made that definitive statement there to counter KJ's equally definitive one above.

However, the film is generally acknowledged as a masterpiece and I stand by the second half of that statement.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:28 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

i liked eyes wide shut quite a bit

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:31 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's not rubbish, but pretentious would at least be a relevant criticism to make.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:32 PM
finti

Actually I found the whole story stupid, but I wouldnt call the film pretentious cause I guess the effects was astonishing when it was released way back then . So it set a standard for special effects so...

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:35 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

eyes wide shut on the other hand goes beyound crap

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:36 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The special effects were shockingly good and there has been nothing as directly realistic since. They were even UPSET they had to add the stars in to please people!

It WAS a slow film, and boring would be a relevant criticism of it. I am not sure about stupid... I would say obscure.

But no, not pretentious. It doesn't qualify for that.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:37 PM
finti

Iwas talking about the story in it self, it is not the films fault the book sucked

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:40 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh the books... well, certainly I have never seen anyone get away with books with so little happening in them. The third one really WAS dull- you will note that no-one will even try and make a film about that.

In fact, compare the film 2010 to 2001. Except for the continuity (like the sets) and the quality performance by two of the leads from the original, that was rubbish... now, 2001 COULD have been like that if it was just a straight adaption. I take that as a good indication of Kubrick's skill.

Who on EARTH thought the voiceover in 2010 was a good idea... (shakes head sorrowfully)

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 18th, 2002 at 11:17 PM

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:45 PM
finti

SOMETHING WONDERFUL

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 10:52 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ah, good example- similar note, was Dave visiting his mother done beautifully or tackily? My choice goes to the second...

BtVS

Old Post Nov 18th, 2002 11:20 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, anyway, we have no drifted somewhat from the original premise... feel free to open a new Kubrick thread for more specific discussions.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 19th, 2002 12:31 PM