KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » The Storyline Between COTB and AWE..Your Opinions?

The Storyline Between COTB and AWE..Your Opinions?
Started by: SelinaAndBruce

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SelinaAndBruce

The Storyline Between COTB and AWE..Your Opinions?

I think they had a good storyline overall but that they had too much story to condense into three movies. Even with the three movies being sort of long they couldn't dedicate the appropriate amount of time to all the characters IMO or develop the plot well enough to make it fly by the time At World's End rolled around.

Selina: No darker than yours, Bruce

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:08 PM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

Yeah, I do agree they dug some pretty big holes to fill in AWE. they really made the story quite massive... and didn't have enough time to properly develop the characters or plot for that matter.

gorgeous cinematic battles and such though.

what i want to know is, why they gave jack the monkey and pintel and ragetti so much screen time. haha.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:21 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

quote: (post)
Originally posted by katelovespirate
Yeah, I do agree they dug some pretty big holes to fill in AWE. they really made the story quite massive... and didn't have enough time to properly develop the characters or plot for that matter.

gorgeous cinematic battles and such though.

what i want to know is, why they gave jack the monkey and pintel and ragetti so much screen time. haha.

You know what you make a good point laughing I never even thought about that when I was considering what could have been trimmed to give them more time to develop.

I think they might have needed to make a 4th movie by stretching the story a bit because I think they really did a number on a lot of the characters. I needed more time to get Elizabeth back to her roots because she became totally unlikeable to me in AWE and I liked her in COTB I think one more movie with some real closure all around could have made me feel happy for all the characters involved.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:23 PM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

well... I guess DMC was loaded down with some dead weight, but the movie as a whole was a lot of fun, so i didn't notice it. the whole Jack being the god on the island thing was superfluous, but it was HILARIOUS, so it didn't bother me.

AWE??? They could have easily trimmed 4 minutes off the opening scene by maybe killing 10 people instead of 300 and making us watch it all. wink i am bitter about that one.

They had a LOT to cram in, and they made things a bit too hard on themselves i think. they could have easily tied up what they started in DMC, but they added in a lot of AWE. SOme of it was great--- the meeting of the pirate brethran was great, all those characters were really interesting, but the whole situation with Will and Jack going back and forth making weird deals with Beckett got REALLY confusing.

Norrington didn't have to die. The only purpose that served was to make us all hate bootstrap.

we had a thread about the many plot holes a while back... but i think the film actually has grown on most of us since..

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:28 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

They had a LOT to cram in, and they made things a bit too hard on themselves i think. they could have easily tied up what they started in DMC, but they added in a lot of AWE. SOme of it was great--- the meeting of the pirate brethran was great, all those characters were really interesting, but the whole situation with Will and Jack going back and forth making weird deals with Beckett got REALLY confusing.

Norrington didn't have to die. The only purpose that served was to make us all hate bootstrap.

This I agree with the most. I know a lot of kids really liked these movies and I honestly couldn't IMAGINE how they were able to follow all the changing allegiances. I'm 22 years old and a college student with a good GPA so I am not stupid and yet I was like OMG who is on what side now? Huh?!? I said this on another board and I was accused of being stupid but I mean I think that was the main shortcoming of AWE. I just stopped caring about the character's motivations at one point because I couldn't remember what they were.

I didn't like Norrington at all but I thought his death was very unnecessary.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:40 PM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

They say a simple story line is the best. I'm 22 also! How about that? Yeah, there was too much to cram in and they shouldn't have opened quite as many doors in DMC because that's what started some people getting fed up-- that it was too convoluted and complex compared to the first one. I'm not saying change everything, just have narrowed things down a bit.

There were too many deal-making scenes in AWE and just a little too much talking for a pirate movie, even though I actually love the talking scenes. Did Swann have to die? Not really. They could have met up with him in the end and Junior and Liz could have dear Grandpa Weatherby to provide a calming factor in their lives. Did James have to die? Certainly not! I adore James, fabulous guy, and the last thing the audience needed to feel was hatred for Bootstrap. We were supposed to want Will to save him, weren't we? Feel sorry for the guy a little bit? Doesn't work too well when you show him running somebody through.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 07:58 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RememberS&S

This is kinda off topic to what you're saying but I have to get this out.

The whole Fountain of Youth ploy is so ****ing retarded! They added it in what like the last 10 minutes. Honestly something is wrong with T&T, they must've hit their heads somewhere cause their plot makes no sense. I hate how they just threw that whole map thing in there and left Jack in a tiny boat, with nothing but a goddamn compass.

They make him out to be such a goddamn joke, it makes me sick. I don't care if this is a Disney film, if they put PG 13 stuff in there then WHY do they insist on still making the LITTLE KIDS UNDER 10 HAPPY?!

IT'S SO STUPID, it's been so long after AWE came out but I'm still so fuming mad. I will never, ever, ever forgive T&T for ruining POTC and the Sparrabeth goodness that made it such a perfectly whole movie.

Last edited by RememberS&S on Dec 8th, 2007 at 08:07 PM

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:05 PM
RememberS&S is currently offline Click here to Send RememberS&S a Private Message Find more posts by RememberS&S Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

Originally posted by willofthewisp
They say a simple story line is the best. I'm 22 also! How about that? Yeah, there was too much to cram in and they shouldn't have opened quite as many doors in DMC because that's what started some people getting fed up-- that it was too convoluted and complex compared to the first one. I'm not saying change everything, just have narrowed things down a bit.

There were too many deal-making scenes in AWE and just a little too much talking for a pirate movie, even though I actually love the talking scenes. Did Swann have to die? Not really. They could have met up with him in the end and Junior and Liz could have dear Grandpa Weatherby to provide a calming factor in their lives. Did James have to die? Certainly not! I adore James, fabulous guy, and the last thing the audience needed to feel was hatred for Bootstrap. We were supposed to want Will to save him, weren't we? Feel sorry for the guy a little bit? Doesn't work too well when you show him running somebody through.

ICAM and that's what's weird I was like what is going on with Bootstrap? He was acting erratically but later I got it but the point is I guess when you get confused about what characters are doing often then the movie becomes laborious to watch. I loved the Pirate lore and the legends and the myths and the wheelings and dealings but this movie was just too much.

And I agree that started with DMC. They took a good element of part one the wheelings and dealings and just overdid it in part 2 and then had EVERYONE doing it in part 3 to where it was just too confusing. It's a shame thought COTB showed so much promise and was a suprise hit they should have been able to spin a better trilogy out of that success. DMC should have been to COTB what Empire Strikes Back as to Star Wars. Pity.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:05 PM
katelovespirate

precisely. that was weird. i keep trying to come up with reasons why they did it, and i can't for the life of me figure it out.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:06 PM
SelinaAndBruce

Originally posted by RememberS&S
This is kinda off topic to what you're saying but I have to get this out.

The whole Fountain of Youth ploy is so ****ing retarded! They added it in what like the last 10 minutes. Honestly something is wrong with T&T, they must've hit their heads somewhere cause their plot makes no sense. I hate how they just threw that whole map thing in there and left Jack in a tiny boat, with nothing but a goddamn compass.

They make him out to be such a goddamn joke, it makes me sick. I don't care if this is a Disney film, if they put PG 13 stuff in there then WHY do they insist on still making the LITTLE KIDS UNDER 10 HAPPY?!

IT'S SO STUPID, it's been so long after AWE came out but I'm still so fuming mad. I will never, ever, ever forgive T&T for ruining POTC and the Sparrabeth goodness that made it such a perfectly whole movie.

I loved the ending for Captain Jack Sparrow. It was him returned to his roots from the first movie IMO. And honestly Captain Jack Sparrow is never one to give up he was searching for immortality and he heroically traded that to Will so that he could remain alive in some sense even though he wanted that job on The Flying Dutchman so I was glad they showed he is still trying to accomplish his goal and still going to be a freedom seeking adventurer.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:12 PM
katelovespirate

hmmm i really didn't like Jack's ending. i feel like it's sending Jack backwards instead of forwards as a character.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:17 PM
SelinaAndBruce

hmmm i really didn't like Jack's ending. i feel like it's sending Jack backwards instead of forwards as a character.

Where is Captain Jack Sparrow supposed to go? He already demonstrated his purpose that pirates can be good people too and make good decisions and even pass up on what they truly want (by giving Will the Flying Dutchman when it was literally in the palm of his hands). And in the end he got to sail away, have his freedom and continue pursuing his goal. I think he got the happiest ending of anybody in the series except he didn't get the Black Pearl back.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:20 PM
katelovespirate

well, I suppose Jack didn't end up a single mom on a beach or a cursed heartless fish dude, so that's a plus. But he lost the pearl, he's drunk in a dingy trying to sale to Florida (and i don't care where you are in the caribbean, that's like trying to make it from cuba in a raft... not a good idea.)

Calypso is still on the loose, by the way. I dont think they've all seen the end of her.

I think Gibbs got the best ending.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:35 PM
SelinaAndBruce

well, I suppose Jack didn't end up a single mom on a beach or a cursed heartless fish dude, so that's a plus. But he lost the pearl, he's drunk in a dingy trying to sale to Florida (and i don't care where you are in the caribbean, that's like trying to make it from cuba in a raft... not a good idea.)

Calypso is still on the loose, by the way. I dont think they've all seen the end of her.

I think Gibbs got the best ending.

Well maybe but I am sure Captain Jack Sparrow will be fine and he might just be using that dingy till the next best thing comes along.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:45 PM
RememberS&S

He didn't change at all, he went back to his selfish, immortality seeking jerk. I think everyone is so inlove with this idea of Captain Jack Sparrow and they idolize him so much that they think he's a fricken god.

He's just an ordinary person, he wasn't born loving piracy, he was forced into it. He isn't brave, he's cowardly. He's a real person with insecurities and flaws. To make him go back to that fake pirate from CotBP is an insult to his character.

There is absolutly no point in DMC or AWE, they brought up the possibility of J/E then just left it with out resolving anything. We all know there was genuine relationship with Jack and Lizzie, and albeit, Will and Lizzie too, neither side got a proper ending.

To leave all sides in misery and comtempt for POTC.

I hated how they just leave Jack in the same rut that he started in. Who's to say he'll actually live and make it to the Fountain of Youth? They make him too untouchable, he gets stuck on an island twice, he dies, he's cursed with the black mark, AND HE STILL GETS OUT ALIVE, HOW LUCKY CAN HE GET.

They made him waaaay to surreal and that's not right, he's just a regular pirate no different than the ones in Tortuga. He's not immortal, he's suspectable to harm, to human emotion like LOVE. *cough**cough*

It just makes me sick how DMC and AWE count for absolutly nothing at all and everyone went back to the same lives, nothing changed but a bunch of people dead and out main characters left in the aftermath of the crappiest adventure ever.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 08:50 PM
RememberS&S is currently offline Click here to Send RememberS&S a Private Message Find more posts by RememberS&S Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

Captain Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth were never brought up a real possibility it was obviously only a tease IMO that some fans just got their hopes up over for no reason. Will and Elizabeth were always the story that much was obvious. I watched all three movies together at once and never did I think they were ever going to do Captain Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth especially not after she killed him to save Will and the others.

Captain Jack Sparrow did grow up and change just not in the way some people wanted him to. He gave up his big dream for Will and Elizabeth in some sense even though he didn't have to at all. He passed up his chance for immortality when he could have just said screw it and took the Flying Dutchman for himself. That showed growth to me beyond anything.

We all know Captain Jack Sparrow is not a super hero, but he isn't a pirate romance novel character either and he may someday fall in love but I have no problems with the fact that it didn't happen in the Pirates of the Carribean movies perhaps they really will do a spin off and Captain Jack Sparrow can be explored further.

He didn't end up the same, but he stayed true to himself in th end and that's why I liked it. They didn't try to turn him into someone he wasn't, they only showed that he can be compassionate despite being a pirate but he's still Captain Jack Sparrow at the end of the day and that's what I love about him.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2007 09:10 PM
katelovespirate

i wasn't a huge fan of jack in AWE... except when he was interacting with either barbossa or beckett. the multiple jack sequences were just weird in my book.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2007 02:57 AM
SelinaAndBruce

i wasn't a huge fan of jack in AWE... except when he was interacting with either barbossa or beckett. the multiple jack sequences were just weird in my book.

O IA with that. Sparrbosa is what I love from AWE. That telescope scene was great. But the multiple Captain Jack Sparrows were weird to me. I love Captain Jack Sparrow but there only needs to be one.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2007 03:10 AM
katelovespirate

absolutely, and as much as i find it shocking i am saying this, i prefer when he keeps his shirt on.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2007 04:13 AM
SelinaAndBruce

LOL really I didn't mind his shirt off at all but I do prefer Captain Jack Sparrow completely decked out in all his Pirate garb. It really bugs me in DMC that he is missing his hat. I love that thing

Old Post Dec 9th, 2007 04:18 AM