KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Shadows in the Sun

Shadows in the Sun
Started by: ESB -1138

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Shadows in the Sun

Chapter I

‘My name is Jack O’Neil. I am a survivor of the JC virus that has spread across the world. If anyone is out there I am living here in Jacksonville Florida. I can provide food and shelter. I will wait at Jacksonville Landing near the center of town at midday, when the sun is at the highest point…that is when it is the safest.’

~~~

For three years I have lived alone in Jacksonville, with no one but my trusted golden retriever, Butterball to comfort me, to love me, and to be there for me. I was part of the research team that developed a cure for AIDS three years ago. We called that cure the JC vaccine. JC standing for Jesus Christ for Jesus brought life to the sick. Sadly though the JC vaccine mutated into a horrible virus that has whipped out the human population.

Less than 1% of the human population is immune to this virus…and I have yet to discover why. I have since begun searching for a cure for this virus…to transfer my immunity to others. I fear that I am the last human left on earth…the last of my kind. Worse yet I am seeing less and less animals. I’m not sure why the animals are slowly fading but I am trying to find out why. Maybe in due time I can make the JC virus a thing of the past.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2007 07:01 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Jack sat alone behind the main building of the abandoned Landing facing the St. John’s River reading the Bible. Jack has tried to keep his sanity for three years and for three years he has been living alone in Jacksonville. His one and only friend, his only companion, and the only thing that has loved him was his golden retriever named Butterball. His dog laid motionless next to the bench just watching the clouds roll by above head.

Jack waited everyday at the Landing at midday for someone to come by but Jack was slowly losing all hope on that happening. Days would go by with no sighting of anything expect the birds in the sky. The Landing was nothing more now than a ghost house that was once a lively place is nothing more than a shell of what it once was. It was difficult for Jack to keep his sanity over the years and now he struggles just to make it through the day.

It was nearing the hour of two and Jack was getting ready to head out seeing no further reason to stay behind. Jack did not go out unarmed. He carried with him a combat knife strapped to his right leg, duel pistols around his chest hidden under a Florida Gator jacket and an assault rifle with scope. Jack went to the Hummer that he drives since the outbreak happened three years ago with his supplies in the back.

In the back he had weaponry as well as boxes filled with vegetables that he gathered from a crop field he has been growing near his home, and jars with liquids in them. In another box laying on the floor was vegetable oil, vinegar, and gasoline that he kept with him. Jack dug through a bag in the backseat and pulled out some bacon. He turned around to see Butterball sitting on the ground gazing at him. Jack held the bacon up and Butterball quickly jumped to his feet.

‘Alright, alright no need to beg. Here you go Butterball,’ Jack said throwing the bacon to him. Butterball ate the bacon and Jack closed the door and walked around to the passenger side. Once finished Butterball followed and Jack opened the door and Butterball climbed into the seat. Jack closed the door and went over to the driver’s side and got into the car. Jack started the Hummer and looked over at Butterball who was just staring at him.

Jack smiled and rolled down the passenger window and Butterball threw his head out of the opening. Jack put the car in drive and drove off heading for Main Street. Jack turned on the CD player and started to play music by Billy Joel and Jack started to sing with the song:

In the middle of the night,
I go walking in my sleep,
From the mountains of faith,
To the river so deep

I must be lookin’ for something
Something sacred I lost
But the river is wide
And it’s too hard the cross

Jack continued driving through Downtown Jacksonville when suddenly a herd of deer ran across the road and Jack slammed on brakes.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2007 12:39 AM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Striding Cloud

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo! More! Great ESB! Never took time in reading these story's or writing some, but since i am in this role play wanted to read it. And it's awesome! big grin

One Missed Call!

Thnx Malk! big grin

Old Post Dec 17th, 2007 01:12 AM
Striding Cloud is currently offline Click here to Send Striding Cloud a Private Message Find more posts by Striding Cloud Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Striding Cloud
Bravo, Bravo, Bravo! More! Great ESB! Never took time in reading these story's or writing some, but since i am in this role play wanted to read it. And it's awesome! big grin

Thanks big grin Of course the RPG will be vastly different since Jack won't be alone. Continuing onward:

~~~

Jack rolled down his window and followed the deer down towards the Prime Osborn trying to get a clear shot on one. Jack had to avoid the cars that haven’t moved in years as he closed in on the deer. The deer started to scatter and ran down different streets. Jack followed the largest group that ran towards the Matthews Bridge. The center of the Matthews Bridge collapsed years ago and Jack figured he could corner the deer there.

Jack stopped and ran out followed by Butterball and went now on foot approaching the edge of the Matthews. Jack saw the deer standing near the end looking down below at the St. John’s River. Jack knelt down behind an overturned car and prepared to pull the trigger when all at once the deer leapt off the edge into the river below. Jack lowered his weapon and stood up with his eyes closed. He patted Butterball on the back of the head.

‘I don’t understand…why would the deer leap off to their demise…unless…unless they can smell them. Come on Butterball; we got some more to do before sunset,’ Jack said and headed back to his car. Butterball followed and the moment Jack opened the driver’s side door he jumped in and sat down on the passenger side. Jack climbed in and drove off heading back towards Main Street. Jack couldn’t get that image out of his mind…the deer jumping to the river below.

Jack made it to Main Street and followed it down for a few miles and made a left turn to Bush Dr which turned into Dunn Avenue. Jack turned into a shopping center where a Gamestop was at. Jack got out and walked into the Gamestop with Butterball behind him. Jack reached into his bag and pulled out a game; Gears of War. Jack placed the game in the Xbox 360 area and started to peer through the vast library at the Gamestop.

‘Let’s see what game I haven’t played yet. Mass Effect, Halo 3, Assassin’s Creed, Dead or Alive 4, BioShock…nothing here. Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Sonic & the Secret Rings…nope. Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, New Super Mario Bros, Sonic Rush Adventure, Mario Kart DS, Final Fantasy IV DS…nothing here either.’ Jack said to himself looking for something new to play.

‘I guess this was bound to happen. No new games coming out so I was bound to run out of new games to play,’ Jack continued and stopped in front of a game. ‘I guess I’m playing Super Mario Galaxy again. Nothing else to do.’

Jack grabbed the Wii game and put it in his bag and returned outside to the devastation. The Gamestop was in decent shape since Jack did spend some time cleaning it up. Jack walked next door and forced opened the sliding doors of Publix. Butterball ran in and after a few seconds he barked. Jack walked in and gave the dog another strip of bacon and rubbed his head walking in. Jack turned on the light of his assault rifle and went down the aisles.

Jack was looking for some light bulbs as well as some sugar. He found what he needed after a few minutes and returned outside. Jack and Butterball returned to the Hummer and headed back down Dunn heading towards Main Street. Jack took a left down Main Street heading for the San Mateo area where Jack lived at. It was now around two hours till sunset and so Jack needed to return home to prepare for the night ahead.

Jack turned into San Mateo and headed for Vera and Jack lived on the third house to the right. Jack stopped in front of the house and got out. Butterball ran up to the door while Jack went to the backseat and got a box of jars filled with liquids as well as gasoline. Jack made his way to the door slowly spreading the gasoline behind him. Jack sat the box down and opened the door to allow his friend entry and Jack entered still spreading gas behind him.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2007 03:10 AM
Giggles
do you like the dark?

hmm.... i like it, but ur trying to tag along to I Am Legend, right?

Old Post Dec 17th, 2007 03:38 AM
Giggles is currently offline Click here to Send Giggles a Private Message Find more posts by Giggles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Emo_Shadows
hmm.... i like it, but ur trying to tag along to I Am Legend, right?

First chapter yes but it goes on a more different path with chapter 2

Old Post Dec 17th, 2007 03:43 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Jack closed the door and sat the box of jars on the table in the kitchen. Jack rigged the house to run on car batteries and generators that gave him running water and electricity. Jack went to cook dinner by cooking the vegetables he gathered this morning and the left over meet from before. Jack turned on the CD player to listen to more Billy Joel songs this time it was the song I Don’t Want to be Alone which is really how Jack felt:

She said she'd meet me in the bar
At the Plaza Hotel
"Wear a jacket and a tie"
"What's the occasion?"
She just smiled and she wouldn't say why
So here I am standing, waiting in the lobby
Sweating bullets in this stupid old suit
And when she sees me she busts out laughing
"You're a sad sight honey, but you look so cute" and

I don't want to be alone anymore
I was checking you out
I was just making sure
No, I don't want to be alone anymore
And, I want you tonight
Although you hurt me before
It didn't matter that I felt like a fool
'Cause I forgot when she walked through the door
I said I'm sorry, but she said it was cool
And I don't want to be alone anymore

Jack finished cooking and made two plates; one for him and one for Butterball. He sat one on the ground near the table and Jack sat down to eat.

Butterball quickly ate the meet but seemed reluctant to eat the vegetables. Jack sat silently eating his meal and keeping a close eye on the window that sat above the sink. He finished and took his and his dog’s plate and threw them in the sink. Jack had some time to waste so he went into the living room and popped Super Mario Galaxy into the Wii and played it for half an hour before the alarm started to sound on his digital watch that he wore on his left wrist.

Jack turned off the Wii and walked to the window and lowered a steel plating and locked it in place to stop anything from getting inside. Jack did the same for all the windows and locked the front and back doors with around ten locks each to try to stop anything from getting in. Jack turned off the CD player and every light in the house and went to the bedroom and tried to go to sleep with Butterball fast asleep next to him.

Jack could hear strange noises coming from the outside that kept his up throughout the night in total fear. Jack just wished this was all a bad dream and wanted nothing more than to wake up to see someone, anyone. He has been slowly losing his sanity and the only thing keeping him from the total madness was his dog that wouldn’t leave his side. Jack struggled throughout the night hoping to fall asleep and finally he succeeded.

Jack was awakened by his alarm telling him it was sunrise. Jack rolled out of bed and said, ‘wake up Butterball. We got a lot to do.’

Old Post Dec 17th, 2007 08:50 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Butterball quickly woke up and licked his master’s face. Jack removed the plating from the windows and unlocked the doors before starting breakfast. After breakfast Jack would exercise and do some weight training and after he would head down into the lab in the basement. Jack didn’t allow Butterball into the basement for Butterball could get infected still by the virus and Jack was totally immune.

Jack washed his hands before putting on his lab coat and glasses. He walked over to his laptop and turned it on. Jack kept all his documents on the laptop to keep record of all the days. It has been exactly three years since the outbreak; 1,095 days. Jack turned on the web cam and sat down in front of it and cleared his throat.

‘I’m still not 100% sure as to how this outbreak happened but I will do my best to try and explain it. It started a little over a year ago with myself and Dr. Herald Hopkins. We were trying to make a cure for AIDS since at the time over thirty million people had the virus. Everyone with AIDS had an estimated 9.2 months to live though there were treatments to slow the virus there was no cure. Hopkins and I set out to make a cure to rid the world of AIDS for good.

‘It took us nearly five years but Hopkins somehow managed to find the vaccine which he named the JC vaccine. JC standing for Jesus Christ for Jesus brought life to the sick. We tested the vaccine on 1,000 people and within hours all 1,000 were completely rid of AIDS. Better yet was the fact there was no negative side-effects; at all. It seemed we did what many thought was impossible. Hopkins came to the conclusion that in order to stop AIDS we must enhance the white blood cells.

‘Doing so enhanced the body’s immune system which AIDS targets. With an enhanced defense system and immune system the body was naturally able to destroy AIDS. We immediately begun spreading the cure throughout the world; Africa, Australia, Japan, China, England, Russia, Germany, Mexico, and the list goes on. Within a month we healed over ten million people and were quickly nearing the end of the AIDS era.

‘Sadly though 25 of the original 1,000 cured begun showing symptoms of what appeared to be rabis first. They started to act up and become aggressive and then they begun to have total loss of body hair. Their pupils faded and those 25 died. May 2, 2008 exactly three years ago from today the outbreak truly hit. Reports from all around the world showed that the JC cure mutated into a virus and it started to kill everyone.

‘Within hours the ten million cured died and worse yet the virus was able to travel to others through the air and thus more became infected with the JC virus. 90% of earth’s 6 billion people…that’s 5.4 billion people died; fell dead straight up because of the virus. Around 1% of earth’s population; that’s around 12 million people were immune to the virus. It is now May 2, 2011 and I fear I am the last human alive.’

Jack finished and returned upstairs where Butterball was waiting for him. Jack and Butterball headed outside and into the Hummer and drove down the street to San Mateo Elementary School. Jack used the school’s park to grow crops. Jack got his bag and went out into the crops with his fateful dog and started to gather food. Jack dug through the crops grabbing what seemed eatable to him while Butterball ran around playing but stayed closed to Jack.

Jack’s eye was drawn to the side doors of the school which were always closed. Now they were opened; stranger still was the fact that the doors opened outward…and they were forced inward. Jack continued gathering crops but every few seconds his eye was drawn back to the opened doorway that went into the darkness of the school. Jack finished gathering what he needed for today and said to Butterball, ‘let’s go.’

Old Post Dec 17th, 2007 09:52 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Jack got back into the car with Butterball and drove off heading now for Main Street. Jack went towards Downtown Jacksonville heading for the Landing to wait for someone. He arrived at the Landing and headed behind the main building and sat down on the bench from before and looked at the St. John’s River. Jack looked at Butterball who was staring at him and so Jack pulled out a tennis ball that was in his bag.

Butterball readied himself to pursue it and Jack tossed it a few feet back. Butterball ran after the ball and brought it back. This went on for half an hour until finally Jack gave him a strip of bacon and the dog laid down to take a nap. Jack opened up a notebook and started to write:

Day 1,095
I still have seen no sign of another human being. I am beginning to fear the worse as I may be the last of my race. Butterball continues to be my only friend, my last string to sanity. Man’s one desire is companionship and I am beginning to understand more and more why God created woman in Genesis. Because man shouldn’t be alone because without someone they loss what makes them human and they fall into animalist behavior.

Jack closed the notebook and looked around hoping to see someone coming to him. Jack played the same message over the radio every single day:

‘My name is Jack O’Neil. I am a survivor of the JC virus that has spread across the world. If anyone is out there I am living here in Jacksonville Florida. I can provide food and shelter. I will wait at Jacksonville Landing near the center of town at midday, when the sun is at the highest point…that is when it is the safest.’

Jack longed for someone to speak to. Everyone Jack knew, everyone he loved, everyone he cherished, and everyone he despised was gone never again to walk the earth.

Time was slipping through his fingers as he waited for a ray of hope to come to him. It was becoming harder and harder for him to drag himself out of bed for he was losing hope; and with each day Jack was finding it harder and harder and harder to carry on. If he was the last man on earth what was the point on going on because no matter what he would do his race would cease to be with him. All he could hope to do was to find a cure for the JC virus.

Jack’s time at the Landing ended and so Jack returned to the Hummer with Butterball to drive off to find something to do. This time Jack went to the Gator Bowl down the street from the Arena and sat in the bleachers looking at the field which is now filled with plants that has been growing here over the past three years. Butterball ran up and down the stairs keeping himself entertained until Jack decided to head off.

Jack returned to Dunn Avenue and came to Blockbuster. Jack entered the store and looked around for a movie to watch. Jack went over and grabbed the movie; the Lord of the Ring: The Fellowship of the Ring extended version and walked over to the counter where people would rent the movie. Jack put the movie on the counter and stood there waiting for someone. After a few minutes Jack gave up hope and put the movie in his bag and walked out.

‘I don’t know what I was hoping for Butterball,’ Jack said looking at his friend. Jack got into his car and drove back home. Jack again covered his trail with gas as he went into the door and put the movie into the DVD player and started to watch the movie. Butterball jumped on the couch and laid his head on Jack’s lap and fell asleep. Jack watched the movie and when it had ended it was around two hours till dusk.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2007 02:44 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

‘I guess I’ll fix dinner,’ Jack said to himself and Butterball woke up. Jack went to the kitchen and started to cook again. After dinner Jack took Butterball to the bathroom and gave him a bath. Afterwards it was time to shut down the house like he did the night before. Jack struggled to go to sleep this night again hearing sounds coming from the outside. The sound brought total fear to Jack that he never felt before the outbreak.

6 billion people lived on the earth when the outbreak happened and now only one lives. What do you do when you’re the last of your kind alive? How can you continue? These are the questions Jack has to answer and the questions that plague his mind. To be alone is the worse punishment one man can endure. All Jack wanted, all he desired was just to see one more person…

(End of Chapter I)

Old Post Dec 18th, 2007 05:03 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Re: Shadows in the Sun

Chapter II
Alpha and Omega

Jack woke up after having a horrible nightmare about the day of the outbreak. He looked at his watch and it started to beep. Jack rolled out of bed followed by Butterball. Jack went downstairs and started breakfast like he normally would. Jack peered around through the kitchen with a stack of newspaper on the counter. One of them had a photograph of Jack and Dr. Hopkins on the cover with the headline: Saviors of the World.

After breakfast Jack headed down into the lab to continue his research on why he is immune to the JC virus and how he can take his immunity and give it to others. Again Jack couldn’t find the answer and went back upstairs and headed outside to go gather more food and supplies. Butterball followed Jack wherever he went. Jack this time first headed near Main Street to the gas station and started to pump gas for his Hummer.

Jack finished getting gas and drove back down the same road to the school to gather crops. Again Jack kept an eye on the opened doorway of the school. Something felt different this time like he was being watched. His eyes would not wander for it seemed that fear had taken him. Butterball seemed to pay no heed at all to the danger that may rest behind the shadows. Jack finished gathering the crops and made his way towards the gate to return to his vehicle.

Jack made it to the gate and turned around seeing that Butterball was still sniffing around. ‘Butterball, let’s go.’ Jack commanded and opened the gate but the dog still did not move towards him or even face Jack. ‘Butterball come on; we’re leaving now!’

Still the golden retriever did not budge as it continued sniffing and finally he started to dig in the dirt. Jack became curious and placed the bag of crops on the ground and started to approach his friend slowly with rifle ready. Jack came to the side of Butterball and the dog turned his gaze up to Jack. Jack looked down into the hole to see a small vile filled with a green liquid. Jack knelt down and looked at the liquid:

JC Vaccine
Date: May 2, 2008

Jack smiled for he now had the cause of the outbreak and could begin researching how his blood makes him immune to the virus.

Jack bent down and grabbed the vile when suddenly he heard a strange noise followed by a slight rumble. Butterball backed up a few feet and suddenly the ground caved in under Jack and he fell down in the sewers below. Jack landed on his side but kept the vile completely safe. After a moment Jack stood up and tried to reach the top of the hole but couldn’t reach. Jack knew he had to enter the shadows of the sewer to get out now.

‘Butterball wait by the truck…I’ll meet you up there in a bit. Listen…if I’m not back by dusk…just leave me,’ Jack told his pal. Jack turned on the light of his rifle and started to head down the tunnel creeping slowly trying to make as little sound in the small running stream that covered the bottom of the sewer. Jack crept slowly focusing only on what’s ahead not willing to take any chances. Finally he fully entered the darkness and vanished from sunlight.

Jack continued through the dark tunnel as he started to shake in fear. A footstep echoed in the blackness and Jack stopped covering the light and quivering. Jack started to say the 23rd Psalm as he continued forward trying to find the courage to make it through the sewer. Jack started to move again moving as slowly as possible as he whispered the 23rd Psalm hoping just to see the light of the sun and nothing more.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2007 07:00 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

‘The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the path of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.’

Jack again covered the light of the rifle believing he heard something coming his way. Slowly he took his hand away from the light’s path and there in the darkness stood a man. This man is always hyperventilating. His eyes were bloodshot red with yellow fangs. His skin was completely pale and he had no hair on his entire body. Jack’s eyes widen as the creature opened its mouth and let out a terrible roar that echoed in the tunnels.

Jack fired the rifle four times striking the creature in the torso three times and once in the head killing it. This is the end result of the JC virus. 90% of earth’s population died 1% immune…and the rest became creatures of the night. They began to feast on those immune, hunting them down and killing them. They have showed signs of vampirism as contact with UV rays such as that from the sun would burn them within seconds till dead.

The creatures hide in dark buildings and in sewers during the day and come out during the night to find food. These creatures would eat anything not infected by the JC virus. Jack could hear the terrible cries of more of the creatures approaching and with that he started to run. Jack ran down the tunnel hearing the footsteps of the creatures approaching. Jack arrived under a manhole and started to climb up as fast as possible.

He could hear the creatures approaching coming closer with every second passed. Jack reached the top and forced opened the manhole sending down a ray of sunlight. The creatures reached the manhole but fled because of the light. Jack climbed out and covered up the manhole again breathing heavily as he sat on the ground looking at the sun. Jack stood up brushing himself off and headed up the road to head back to the school.

As Jack walked up the road he reached into his pocket and pulled out the vile. Jack smiled but stopped thinking that for three years this vile is pretty clean. Something made him believe that the creatures sat up a trap for Jack hoping to end him. Jack put the vile back into his pocket and continued walking. He reached the park and Butterball was waiting for him by the Hummer. Butterball ran over to Jack and started to lick his face in joy.

‘I’m alright. Come on we better head to the Landing to wait for someone,’ Jack said to the dog opening the car door to allow Butterball in. Jack got in and drove off to Main Street hoping that today is the day he meets someone. Jack arrived at the Landing a few minutes till noon and opened the backseat. Jack pulled out a box of lab supplies and with a needle he drew some of his blood. Jack opened the vile of the JC virus and poured a few drops into it.

Jack took a microscope and peered into it. The virus started to spread through the blood like always but suddenly it just vanished…dissolved into nothingness. Jack looked at Butterball, ‘this isn’t what I was hoping. I didn’t find any answers…just more questions. What makes me immune?’

Jack would spend the hour studying the virus and his blood trying to find some reason that made him immune. Butterball slept through the hour while Jack wrote down in his notebook:

Day 1,096
Today I discovered a vile containing the JC virus. Though I now have the cause of the outbreak I am no closer to finding a cure. I encountered the Shadow Walkers in the sewers today but managed to escape before I was overtaken. As time goes by I am noticing strange differences to the Shadow Walkers. They appear to have become organized somehow as though one among them has become a leader. They knew what I was looking for and used it to set a trap. I’m becoming more and more afraid as it truly seems hopeless to find a cure.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 01:24 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Jack took a deep breath and looked out at the destroyed Matthews Bridge above the St. Johns. Jack walked over to the edge of the railing and looked down at the water below. He couldn’t think of any reason how the creatures become intelligent.

Three years ago 90% of earth’s 6 billion people; that’s 5.4 billion people dropped dead from the JC virus without a chance. About 1%, 12 million immune from the virus and the remaining 588 million became creatures of the night, they became Shadow Walkers hunting down the immune and killing them for food. Jack believes he is the last man on earth fearing that the Shadow Walkers have won the war and have successfully killed all of mankind.

Jack lowered his head as a tear ran down his face as he remembered everyone he knew and loved and how they were now dead because of his work. Jack still believed he could fix this and come up with a cure for the JC virus but hope was slowly fading away into despair. Jack’s time ended at the Landing and so he packed up and was getting ready to head off. Before Jack left though something felt different…something strange.

Jack shook his head believing his was just becoming paranoid as he finished putting everything in the Hummer. Jack went to get into the truck when he looked across the street at the building. He looked up and about on the fourth floor glaring down at him stood a creature just watching him. Jack returned a gaze upon the creature and knew that they were watching him all through the day. Jack finally made himself turn away from the creature to get into the Hummer and drive off.

‘I’m not sure anymore Butterball…I’m not sure if I can make a cure,’ Jack said looking at Butterball who stuck his head out the window. Jack was heading down Main Street approaching the underpass. Jack went under the underpass but before he could get from under it a semi-truck collapsed from above and blocked the way out. Jack slammed on brakes but the Hummer still collided with the semi-truck smashing the truck and deploying the airbags.

Neither Jack nor Butterball was hurt and Jack sat up looking at his friend. Butterball returned gaze and Jack climbed out with his dog following. Jack looked at the fallen semi-truck wondering how it just suddenly fell like that. Jack walked out from the way he came out of the underpass with Butterball following. Jack went back to his truck and opened the back door and got a box out with a jar of liquids and he put some gasoline containers in and took it.

With the box in hand Jack and Butterball headed back up Main Street when suddenly it begun to rain. Jack looked up with displeasure as they started to walk up the on-ramp to Martin Luther King Jr. to get around the overpass to make it to the other side. As Jack was walking up a Chevy truck came rolling down. Jack tried to jump out of the way but the truck hastened quickly and struck Jack sending him back down the ramp. The truck went directly over Butterball.

Jack laid dazed on the ground and the impact of him hitting the ground as he was thrown back made the back of his head bleed. Jack tried to stand up but lost consciousness. Jack was awakened by barking and the beeping sound of his alarm. Jack opened his eyes and looked up seeing that the sun was beginning to set. Jack stood up and grabbed a vile and put it in his pocket followed by grabbing his assault rifle and a container of gas.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2007 03:47 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

‘Let’s go Butterball,’ Jack commanded and ran up the ramp with Butterball following. Jack and Butterball crossed the road and went down the ramp where they were now on the other side of the semi-truck. The two ran down Main Street as fast as possible with time now against them like it has never been before. Jack kept looking at the sun to see how much sunlight was left, ‘we got about half an hour to get home!’

Jack ran with all his might trying to get there as fast as possible but it was in vein as the sun gave way to the night. Jack could hear the terrible cries of the Shadow Walkers as they begun to emerge from their hives. Jack reached the road leading to Bush Drive. Shadow Walkers emerged from the Budweiser Factory flooding Bush Drive and more blocked Main Street; the road leading home. Jack came to a dead halt as he found himself surrounded by Shadow Walkers.

Jack aimed his rifle at the heads of the Shadow Walkers and spun around waiting for one to make the first move. Butterball stood by his master’s side waiting to defend him. The creatures did not approach Jack instead they just kept him trapped in their manmade wall. Suddenly some of the creatures moved to allow an entry way for another around seven feet tall. This one had snow white hair on the top of his head as he looked down upon Jack.

This creature wore a red cape with black pants and his pupils were visible. He seemed very different than the rest of the Shadow Walkers. With a voice as dark as the midnight hour that ran shiver down your spine the creature said, ‘you must be Jack O’Neil. The sun walker who has been roaming around my Empire against my will.

‘You…you spoke. How is that possible?’ Jack asked astonished that one had the ability to talk.

Do not mistake me for one of these grunts. I am Eligos and you my dear boy…you are the last of the once noble race of man. Such a terrible downfall since man first left Eden many moons ago,’ Eligos answered. ‘The era of man ends now, God has chosen a new breed to rule the earth…and he has chosen me to be the new god of earth!

‘New god of earth? Seems like you are no different than the man you once were…only a fool would believe he can become a god,’ Jack replied. Eligos chuckled at Jack’s words and approached Jack slowly. Butterball growled at Eligos.

So…you have chosen death instead of life as my pet. Then so be it. This night I shall end the legacy of man, your futile attempts to find a cure was in vein,’ Eligos told Jack. Eligos continued to approach Jack and so Jack pulled the trigger on his rifle to shoot Eligos in the head. Eligos took a step back as the bullet collided with his forehead. Eligos turned and smiled as he spit the bullet out. ‘Your mortal weapons are useless against me.

Jack again fired unloading an entire round on Eligos but to no avail. The creature stood unharmed by his attacks. Eligos continued walking towards Jack stopping a few feet from him. With a powerful blow Eligos punched Jack sending him into a group of Shadow Walkers causing them to be thrown back. Butterball jumped at Eligos but the creature tossed the dog back. Jack stood up blood dripping down his mouth.

It’s over Jack. There’s nothing you can do that can harm me…no one can save you.’ Eligos said approaching Jack again. Jack stood up drawing his knife and stabbing Eligos in the gut. Eligos pushed Jack back and pulled the knife out of him and stabbed Jack in his left shoulder. Jack screamed out in pain. ‘So; that’s what it sounds like to feel pain. I haven’t felt pain in three years.

‘I doubt that!’ Jack screamed and revealed a hairdryer Jack rigged with a tanning bulb in it. Jack pointed it at Eligos’s eyes and pulled the trigger. The bulb turned on and burnt the creature’s skin and eyes. Eligos shouted in pain taking a step back. A Shadow Walker jumped up kicking the hairdryer out of Jack’s hands.

You shall regret that,’ Eligos replied rubbing his eyes and finally standing up straight again. Jack pulled the knife out of his shoulder as he embraced himself from the pain. Eligos grabbed Jack by his throat and lifted him up. ‘The reign of man is over.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 07:00 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Jack struggled to break free of the creature’s grip as he was slowly losing all air he had. Jack started to become lightheaded when suddenly Butterball bit Eligos in his left hand. The creature looked down at the dog and kicked it. This gave Jack a small chance and he broke free and fell to the ground. Eligos laughed at Jack struggling with all his might just to live.

If you do live till dawn, then what? You are alone Jack O’Neil. You cannot hope to win this war. You will never find a cure and you will die tonight or fifty years from now.’ Eligos told Jack.

‘I will find a cure…I can fix this. I can save everyone,’ Jack replied angrily. Eligos started to laugh as Jack stood up. He drew a pistol from within his jacket.

Didn’t you learn from before? Your weapons cannot do a thing to me. I am stronger, faster, smarter, and overall superior to you,’ Eligos said.

‘No…you forgot one thing. Environment,’ Jack responded. The container of gas Jack had fell out of the box and Jack fired the pistol at the container. The container exploded engulfing Shadow Walkers in flame. Eligos looked at the flames which begun to burn his skin. The Shadow Walkers fled from the flame as it spread to cars causing them to explode. Butterball ran to Jack’s side. ‘Your move Eligos.’

You cannot escape your fate forever,’ Eligos replied and ran off with the Shadow Walkers down Bush Drive. Jack smiled and looked down at Butterball.

‘We can’t let that fire die,’ Jack told Butterball. Throughout the night Jack kept the fire burning brightly as best he could to keep the creatures back. Jack didn’t want to go home in the dark for the creatures did not know where Jack lived and he wanted to keep it that way. Jack waited for night to fade away. He was giving into tiredness as he struggled to stay awake to keep the flame lit. Suddenly dawn emerged as the sun rose from the east…

(End of Chapter II)

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 09:43 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Re: Shadows in the Sun

Chapter III
To the Eastern Glow

It was about an hour after sunrise and Jack with his fateful hound walked back towards home. Jack pondered many questions that were trapped in the cavern of his mind; who is Eligos and how is he different than the Shadow Walkers was the key question. It would seem that the enemy has more intelligence then Jack thought as it was clear that the semi-truck and Chevy truck from before was a trap laid out by the creatures to cease his return home.

Jack managed to stop the blood from his shoulder and Butterball seemed to be basically unharmed from that encounter. Jack returned home and went down into the lab to continue his research. Jack flung open the curtains to reveal a capture Shadow Walker unconscious and chained to a medical table. Jack looked at the creature and then at himself in a mirror. Jack couldn’t find what made him different.

‘It would seem that the JC virus mutated the cells that the AIDS virus attacked. It seems that by strengthening our immune system and body’s defense system we actually plagued our world. I should have guessed this sooner. I’m still not sure why I’m immune but I believe I may have the answer. I am the blood type AB- and this host is the blood type O-. It seems that something about the blood of AB- makes us immune to the virus.

‘I have concluded that because of this I may be able to find a cure. It came to me last night as I struggled to keep the fire going. If I can make a vaccine that can spread through the entire body but have the same “abilities” as AB- I may be able to destroy the virus thus ending the plague that has haunted the earth for three years.’ Jack said recording his data as he typed quickly on the computer trying to gather what products he would need. Jack would spend the rest of today recovering from the attack.

Butterball slept through most of the day and Jack made a list of everything he would need; and everything he could find at the local Wal-Mart store. That night it was harder for Jack to sleep for the nightmare now had a central character; Eligos. Jack would have to find what made Eligos different before more of the Shadow Creatures became like him. At sunrise Jack fixed breakfast and headed off. He found a Ford 2004 truck outside and hotwired it and drove off.

Jack headed down Main Street going towards the River City Market Place. Jack was constantly looking around trying to make sure no Shadow Walkers had set a trap for him. Jack turned into the market place and came to the Wal-Mart. Jack and Butterball got out and stopped in front of the main entrance. The glass doors have been shattered as though someone was trying to get in the store…it must have been the Shadow Walkers.

Jack slowly entered the store with Butterball at his side. It was completely quiet and Jack lowered his guard seeing that the roof has broken with many cracks allowing huge beams of sunlight into the store. Jack walked down the aisles gathering the supplies needed as Butterball kept a close eye out. Jack got what he needed and the two returned outside. Jack and Butterball got back into the truck and drove back to the home.

Jack looked at the time and said, ‘well…it’s time to go to the Landing. What’s the point? It’s just a waste of time. I am the last human on earth. I better just go back home and try to develop a cure.’

Jack has given up hope on finding another human and drove back home. Jack went down into the lab and started to work. Jack drew some of his blood and added it into the formula and he worked throughout the day and at dusk he went back upstairs and closed up for the night and went to sleep. The next morning Jack went out to the crop field and gathered food and returned home quickly to continue working on the vaccine.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2007 11:07 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

‘Alright…I think I got it,’ Jack said to himself and prepared to inject it into the Shadow Walker. Jack approached the creature and released the vaccine into the creature’s veins. Jack stood waiting to see what would happen when suddenly the creature shouted and died. Jack shook his head. ‘No good. This vaccine kills the host…now I have more work to do.’

Jack took the corpse outside and burnt it before returning to the lab to continue his research. He would have to catch another creature to continue testing. Jack worked again throughout the day neglecting his health to try and find a vaccine for the JC virus. Jack closed down the house and went to bed and found it difficult to sleep this night. Jack begun to see Dr. Herald Hopkins in himself; neglecting his health for his work.

Jack knew he couldn’t become like Hopkins so he decided to spend the next day trying to rest as well as try to capture another creature for testing. When morning came Jack made breakfast before heading out into the streets of Jacksonville. Jack drove towards the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena believing that would be a place for the creatures to dwell in during the day as it would keep the light out.

Jack went right through the front doors and light peered through it. Jack figured the creatures would be hiding out in the center of the arena. Jack came to a memorial at the Arena showcasing a variety of events that has come to Jacksonville including the sold out shows of Billy Joel. Jack had to get a creature out and trap it somehow. Jack started by drawing some of his blood as bait and started to work on the trap.

Jack finished working on it and ran outside and waited. Jack splattered the blood on the trap to lure the creatures. Suddenly one was caught and a black blanket fell on the creature. With that Jack drove forward in the truck dragging the creature out of the arena. The creature struggled to break out and so Jack walked over to it with a baseball bat and started to beat the creature until it ceased to move. With that Jack returned to the home and encased the creature where the one was before it.

Jack turned on the CD player to listen to Billy Joel’s Until the Night. With that Jack started to make dinner as Butterball laid on the couch:

When the sun goes down
And the day is over
When the last of the light has gone
As they pour into the street
I will be getting closer
As the cars turn their headlights on
While they're closing it down
We're gonna open it up
And while they're going to sleep
We'll just be starting to touch
I'm just beginning to feel
I'm just beginning to give
I'm just beginning to feel
I'm just beginning to live
Before I leave you again
Before the light of the dawn
Before this evening can end
I have been waiting so long

Until the night, until the night
I just might make it
I'll just keep holding on
When I see you again

Old Post Dec 21st, 2007 06:09 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Jack finished cooking dinner and laid Butterball’s plate out for him to eat. Jack started to read through some of his notes hoping to understand better why the vaccine killed the creature from before. Jack couldn’t understand why.

‘I dunno…I need to try to make it less harmful on the host and more effective on the virus...I just don’t’ see a way at all. Guess I have more work to do,’ Jack said to Butterball as the dog ate. Jack sat motionless trying to figure it out but to no avail. Jack cleaned up the plates and headed to the living room to watch more episodes of Scrubs on TiVo so he could see commercials and try for a second believe that the world is normal once more.

That night Jack fell asleep fast and wasn’t awakened by his nightmares. For some reason he was at peace last night. Jack woke up a little before his alarm went off and Jack started this day like any other and yet he felt different. He felt like today is the day he would find the cure. Jack went down to the lab and started to work on a new vaccine. Jack worked for what felt like endless hours until he had a new vaccine ready.

Jack injected the vaccine into the creature and decided to head out to gather supplies. Jack went to the park to gather crops and was ready to head out. Jack for the first time in two days went to the Landing and waited playing the familiar message:

When Jack arrived he found someone sitting on the bench he sat on wearing a black hood. Jack approached quietly with rifle at hand. The person stood up and turned around.

‘Jack I presume,’ the person said. The person removed the hood to reveal that she was a young woman about the age of nineteen. She had short brown hair and was about a foot shorter than Jack who was a little over six feet tall. Jack lowered the rifle and was completely speechless. The girl took off the hoodie to reveal a white shirt and black pants with matching black boots. ‘I came here yesterday and you never came.’

‘I have given up hope,’ Jack replied.

‘You have up hope too soon. Believe in God as His plan is the perfect plan and He will not allow his children perish to the creatures of the night,’ she responded. ‘My name is Megan Moore.’

‘Is there anyone else out there?’ Jack asked.

‘Not that I am aware of. This outbreak happened on my wedding day…my fiancée was the first to die from the JC virus and within the hour everyone was dead,’ Megan answered. ‘By some divine purpose I was spared.’

‘You were spared because you were immune to the virus…like me. 1% of earth’s population is immune…that’s it…just 1%.’ Jack replied. ‘How did you get here? What happened?’

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2007 03:48 AM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

‘I come from Miami, Florida. The day the outbreak happened I fled south to the Keys hoping to avoid the terrible creatures that followed. I don’t know how long I was there but I met others like me…who seemed to be immune to the virus,’ Megan told Jack. ‘Years went by when suddenly the creatures attacked a few weeks ago killing all but me. I managed to escape. I turned on the radio and heard your message and came up looking for you.’

‘Give me a second…’ Jack replied.

‘Why?’

‘You are the first person I have seen in three years. I need a minute to…to believe this is real. So many times it turned out that person was just in my head,’ Jack answered. ‘I need to know that I’m not insane and that you truly are real.’

‘I’ll give you as much time as you need,’ she replied.

‘Thanks. Just give me a second,’ Jack said and sat down on the bench in deep thought. Jack put her life in danger by not coming yesterday thus leaving her to defend herself against the creatures and if they would have killed her than what. Jack thought about it for a moment, ‘that’s it. With you I can find out what makes us different; why we are immune instead of just guessing.’

‘How is that?’

‘By comparing our blood to that of a creature. Once I fully understand what the difference between us and them is I can make a cure. Please come with me to my home so I can run some more test in hopes that we can find a cure.’

‘Alright,’ Megan replied and walked over to the truck. Butterball started to growl at her. ‘What’s his problem?’

‘He had the front seat for three years…I don’t think he’ll accept getting in the back,’ Jack answered.

‘Alright, alright I’ll get into the back,’ Megan responded and climbed in. With that they drove off and arrived at Jack’s house on Vera. Jack covered his trail with gas like always and entered the home. Megan looked around the house surprised that a place like this still existed…a place that the creatures haven’t completely destroyed. ‘This place…I can’t believe it’s so nice.’

‘Well I taken special care to make sure those things stay outside,’ Jack replied. Jack opened the door leading to the lab and went down in with Megan following. Butterball stayed upstairs. ‘I have been working on a vaccine for three years now and still I haven’t found anything.’

Jack looked at the creature he injected with his latest vaccine and it was still alive. Jack checked everything else and it seemed that the vaccine has done nothing at all. Megan looked through a notebook that had results of tests; all of which failed. Jack drew some blood from Megan and added in the JC virus too it hoping to see something new…but it happened just like it did before; the virus just dissolved.

The two spent hours in the lab just trying to find what makes them different before heading back up. Jack locked down the house and prepared dinner. Jack looked over at Megan who was looking through a newspaper that showed Hopkins and O’Neil as heroes.

‘You know it feels kind of weird…I spent three years alone and now someone else is here…and it just feels weird. I guess I’ll have to get use to being around someone else again,’ Jack said.

‘I have only been alone for a few weeks…I can’t imagine what you must have gone thrown,’ Megan tried to comfort Jack. ‘You’re the one who helped Hopkins create the JC virus is that right?’

‘Yeah…’

‘This must be a terrible burden to you…for you must feel like you are responsible for this.’

‘I am responsible for all of this. That is why I must find a cure to fix this and return the earth to normal. Please…can we talk about something else,’ Jack begged.

‘Alright…but what?’

‘Do you like Billy Joel?’

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2007 07:28 PM
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

This is great, well done ESB I can't wait for more.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2007 08:06 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote