KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Dead Space

Dead Space
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I guess you only play what? 2 games every year?

Or is it 1 game every year?

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 10:52 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

w/e

Look im not saying DS sucks. To me it looks like fun, in the way D3 was, it's just I pass.

Like if a friend had it i'd play it for for sure. But to pay $6o for it? nah.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 01:29 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I rented Dead Space today and it's friggin awesome! The blood and gore is intense.

FistOfTheNorth, DS is not like D3. I've played D3 and that game nearly made me jump off my chair. Dead Space is scary but not as scary as D3.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 03:00 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
w/e

Look im not saying DS sucks. To me it looks like fun, in the way D3 was, it's just I pass.

Said the kid who has yet to even play the game.............

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 03:17 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
w/e

I give you that it looks like Doom 3 in its level design (even though Dead Space is much better at it).

But it definitly does not play like Doom 3 at all. Not even close. Cutting off the limbs of enemies instead of just shooting them in the head is intense.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 04:03 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Well, I must say, in my opinion Dead Space is well worth the $60. I can see every influence from other games I've played, but at the end of the day Dead Space just works because it brings everything together so well.

I'd never call it survival horror, though. More like action/horror. Especially as I've never been in danger of having no ammo and usually find myself carrying too much of it. Much like Resident Evil 4.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 01:08 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Really?

I would totally call it survival horror because I always fearful when enemies attack because they could potentially take a huge amount of hits. Getting attacked by three of them was totally a fight for survival.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 03:02 PM
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Originally posted by Smasandian
Really?

I would totally call it survival horror because I always fearful when enemies attack because they could potentially take a huge amount of hits. Getting attacked by three of them was totally a fight for survival.

Three hits on the basic 'morphs. Two shots to sever a leg, one to sever a claw.

Two on crawling 'morphs. One shot to each arm. Occasionally one will survive that, but it's extremely easy to just run over and literally stomp their heads in.

The tentacle babies seem to die in 3-4 shots to the main body. Simple.

The batlike ones I'm not sure how many shots, but they presented no difficulty at all.

All of this is with an untouched Plasma Cutter, the free basic tool you pick up first.

In fact, the most damage I've taken in this game was from a swarm of the tiny latching 'morphs, because they're fast and hard to hit.

If you're overwhelmed by the number of enemies (never seen more than four at once, myself), throw stasis on a couple and kill the others, then kill the stasis'd ones.

I've never been worried about dying in this game, and I'm almost exactly three hours in. It's an action game with the creepiest environment I've ever seen and some great scare moments, but it doesn't seem like survival is the goal any more than survival is a goal in any video game.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 03:23 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

It seriously annoys me that whenever I walk around in a dark hallway, I keep hearing a wrench drop on the floor and I can't seem to find the source. Does anyone else get irritated by that as well?

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 06:24 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kento
The last Hokage

Never noticed. I'm to busy listening to the disembodied voices.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 06:41 PM
Kento is currently offline Click here to Send Kento a Private Message Find more posts by Kento Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by General Kaliero
Three hits on the basic 'morphs. Two shots to sever a leg, one to sever a claw.

Two on crawling 'morphs. One shot to each arm. Occasionally one will survive that, but it's extremely easy to just run over and literally stomp their heads in.

The tentacle babies seem to die in 3-4 shots to the main body. Simple.

The batlike ones I'm not sure how many shots, but they presented no difficulty at all.

All of this is with an untouched Plasma Cutter, the free basic tool you pick up first.

In fact, the most damage I've taken in this game was from a swarm of the tiny latching 'morphs, because they're fast and hard to hit.

If you're overwhelmed by the number of enemies (never seen more than four at once, myself), throw stasis on a couple and kill the others, then kill the stasis'd ones.

I've never been worried about dying in this game, and I'm almost exactly three hours in. It's an action game with the creepiest environment I've ever seen and some great scare moments, but it doesn't seem like survival is the goal any more than survival is a goal in any video game.

Maybe your just good at it, but the enemies when they came out from 5 directions are tough to kill.

In the end, action horror, survival horror are roughly the same thing. It depends on how good your are but it seems like the developers tried to nail down the survival part of it considering the whole point of the game is trying to get the ship back up to save your little team you have. I have a tough time killing them. There are times when I just start shooting hoping I would kill them.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 07:06 PM
Raijin
Yeah, changed name

Just beat the game on Normal. Loved every minute of this game. The difficulty just isn't there the first 2 hours but around the last few chapters things seriously heat up.
I really love the controls, they feel so Resident evil 4-esque and athmosphere has a distinct Metroid prime feel about it. I also spended a lot of time upgrading my gear and after you've upgraded a weapon to max they change somewhat, like the Plasma cutter, it sounds so much more powerful and the flamethrower spews blue fire.
I'm not gonna spoil the ending but eh, the final boss was a pushover.
And of course, after you beat the game you unlock some bonuses.

Overall, definitely one of the better singleplayer games I've played lately.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 10:48 PM
Raijin is currently offline Click here to Send Raijin a Private Message Find more posts by Raijin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by Raijin
Just beat the game on Normal. Loved every minute of this game. The difficulty just isn't there the first 2 hours but around the last few chapters things seriously heat up.
I really love the controls, they feel so Resident evil 4-esque and athmosphere has a distinct Metroid prime feel about it. I also spended a lot of time upgrading my gear and after you've upgraded a weapon to max they change somewhat, like the Plasma cutter, it sounds so much more powerful and the flamethrower spews blue fire.
I'm not gonna spoil the ending but eh, the final boss was a pushover.
And of course, after you beat the game you unlock some bonuses.

Overall, definitely one of the better singleplayer games I've played lately.

tbh i never expected [SPOILER - highlight to read]: the hive mind i believe? to be hard, lets be honest with the exception of Megaman 9 how many hard final bosses are there in games nowadays?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 11:03 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raijin
Yeah, changed name

Lol well I did, I don't think I've ever fought a boss that huge. Maybe it's more difficult on Hard or [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Impossible. I agree with you, there are very few final bosses worth mentioning.

*Off to play through the game on the hardest difficulty*.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 11:26 PM
Raijin is currently offline Click here to Send Raijin a Private Message Find more posts by Raijin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

good luck man. smile

Old Post Oct 24th, 2008 11:46 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

I'm on Chapter three. Haven't played a survival horror in years. Not very impressed with this one either erm hopefully it'll get better. Right now I just feel like there's too much repetition.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2008 11:43 PM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I hate to say it but most of survival horrors is repetition.

RE4 had you constantly killing people, solve a few puzzles and then boss fight. Its not a bad thing but thats the thing about survivial horror games.

The game gets alot more intense later on in the game. Without giving it away, when you hit the med labs, its crazy.

Its gets alot harder too because you constantly have to kill enemies, but their always a mixed group of them.

I thought it was interesting all the way through the game. It ended exactly the right time. Just near the time where I was starting to get a bit bored.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2008 12:25 AM
General_Iroh
White Guy

Originally posted by Smasandian
I hate to say it but most of survival horrors is repetition.

RE4 had you constantly killing people, solve a few puzzles and then boss fight. Its not a bad thing but thats the thing about survivial horror games.

The game gets alot more intense later on in the game. Without giving it away, when you hit the med labs, its crazy.

Its gets alot harder too because you constantly have to kill enemies, but their always a mixed group of them.

I thought it was interesting all the way through the game. It ended exactly the right time. Just near the time where I was starting to get a bit bored.

Yeah. The only ones I ever really played were Silent Hill and I loved them. But then again it's been years since I played them. Besides the horror element was somewhat lost for me after awhile. At first I was like "Oh Crap! I'm not leaving this elevator!" but now I'm just going through them. I dunno guess I was just expecting more.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2008 02:56 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Like most horror games, its really hard to keep up the scares for a whole 12 hours.

I was the same. For the first bit of the game, I was freaked out with every sound, but after awhile, the enemies didnt really freak me out.

But wait until you get 10 enemies coming at you with 1 ability to blow up, another to shoot annoying little facehugger like creatures, another super ****ing fast one, a more harder regular enemy, enemies that can shoot projectiles and ones that create enemies. Its pretty freaky after awhile because they sometimes just keep on coming.

But whats cool about this game is that the action is pretty damn satisfying to take away the feeling that the scares are gone. Its a pretty fun game to actually play and when you add the atmosphere, the surpringsly good story (if a tad bit cliche) and excellent enemies, it would of been boring.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2008 03:40 AM
Impediment
Endless

Just bought this today for PS3. I plan to complete the game this weekend, come Hell or high water.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Nov 21st, 2008 11:53 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote