KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » Indys death

Indys death
Started by: Nod

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (53): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Or: if you HAVE to do it, make it as small and relevant as in Minority Report.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2009 06:59 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I'd agree with that.. yes

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Mar 31st, 2009 01:04 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Happy Dance

Old Post Mar 31st, 2009 02:12 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

...and then murder every character in the movie just to restore some nihilistic balance.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2009 03:44 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Ss is not into nihilism... that'd be contrary to the integrity of him as a filmmaker...

*thinks of TAOS*

*thinks of TAOS some more*

*bursts out in laughter* Integrity as a filmmaker... WOOOHAHAHAHA!

Old Post Apr 1st, 2009 06:22 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Schindlers list was showing an awful lot of nihilistically vibed stuff.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2009 12:11 PM
queeq
Chaos

True... but also not. "If one saves one life... "

Old Post Apr 1st, 2009 09:41 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Well a good "Its all f***ed" story, doesn't sell without its nice rosey ending, traditionally.

I know that sounds cynical, but its true.

I do love Schindler's list though and do find myself noting that to be an anomally in the "Spielberg being better on stuff he doenst care about" theory of Dr.Kermode's.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2009 10:11 PM
queeq
Chaos

Which was an interesting POV actually. Although, on Schindler's List I don't entirely agree with him, although he makes a good point. I felt SL showed a good balance between nazi ruthlessness shot in an almost non-caring documentary style (which IMHO was brilliant), but also showing how people can rise above themselves in great tribulation. In fact, that's WHEN people rise above themselves. The ending was quite mushy, but that's just a Spielberg trait these days. Unlike Jaws or Raiders or even Close Encounters, which had this short ending, not really resolving everything (Jaws: they still have to swim home, Raiders: what happens to the Ark, the research and whatever, where does that leave Indy?, Close Encounters: Neary leaves and what happens to the others). Lately he tends to clean everything up in a mushy way. Minority Report had that too... although luckily it was very short.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2009 06:36 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I agree..

Horrible "MUST SHIFT MORE UNITS!!! MUST SHIFT MORE UNITS!" mentaility.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2009 09:34 AM
queeq
Chaos

More like: "must have happy ending, must have happy ending." And then... The Terminal (personally I consider that an underestimated film) there's no such mushy ending... Fascinating.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2009 04:39 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

True.

The Terminal was a very good movie, I thought, too.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2009 05:49 PM
queeq
Chaos

I thought it was super smooth en pretty much flawless. And quite political for Spielberg as well. His subtleness in that scene with the old cleaner on the flightline, with that great mass of armed policemen, was incredibly striking... Simple, small but a very clear statement. It doesn't need a lot of music and mush to make a point. Shows he does know what he's doing.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2009 12:07 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Well....it shows he can still have an "On" day as opposed to the many recent "off" days.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2009 01:00 PM
queeq
Chaos

Exactly... that's why I still have hopes for another good Spielberg movie. there's plenty to go on.

Seems like Kermode like War of the Worlds though, that was an odd turn.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2009 06:14 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Nobodys perfect. stick out tongue

I admit I liked a lot of it.

The things that f***ed me off out of it, were Dakota "feed her to the martians, already" Fanning, Tom Cruise, Tom Cruise's irritating and invulnerable son- the luckiest f**k alive to be bought back against all odds at the end, the director Steven Spielberg for centering the movie on them.

Apart from those points it was a good movie.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2009 01:11 AM
queeq
Chaos

It was allright, but I expected a bit more of it myself. The first 45 minutes were great, as usual with Spielberg. Even the first 20 minutes of KOTCS is at least bearable. But after that it just goes off a bit, trying to find modern angles on Wells' novel. Like the Tom Robbins bit. On itself a nice scene, but it doesn't take us anywhere. Nor does it lead Cruise to take a larger look on man's downfall. All he cares about is just his kids. Very Spielbergian, but also quite superficial. If anywhere the theme of man's vulnerability and perhaps need of humilty was fitting to work out, like Wells did, it was after the Robbins scene... but no. Alas.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2009 08:56 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Nicely appraised.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2009 10:38 PM
queeq
Chaos

Thanks. Kermode, eat your heart out.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2009 06:29 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Wellllllllll Ebert, maybe......

stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 7th, 2009 03:43 PM