KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Transformers » So I'm watchin' the New Animated TF's on Cartoon Network

So I'm watchin' the New Animated TF's on Cartoon Network
Started by: Scythe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

quote: (post)
Originally posted by grey fox
*shakes head*

Sadako, you sound really intolerant and ignorant right now. You know that ?

*shakes head* Why...? Because my opinion is different than yours..?

How have I been ignorant..? I've acknowledged positive things about it. So with respect, you are the one who has come across as ignorant by refusing to see the middle ground here, instead attacking me personally and over agressively asserting what after all is merely your opinion.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Apr 28th, 2008 at 01:23 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 01:16 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
*shakes head* Why...? Because my opinion is different than yours..?

How have I been ignorant..? I've acknowledged positive things about it. So with respect, you are the one who has come across as ignorant by refusing to see the middle ground here, instead attacking me personally and over agressively asserting what after all is merely your opinion.

From my POV it appeared you were denouncing it for petty reasons. I can accept others opinions but only if they appear to be valid.

For example. If you hate it because the plot sucked, then that's perfectly fine. Yet if you hated it for say........a single Voice actor whom only appeared sporadically then it's petty...and silly.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 01:28 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

And from my POV it could be the same too, but I just didn't get out my pram with you over it.

Petty it may have been in your opinion maybe, but your judging it as petty didn't neccesarily make it so.
Besides my argument would be less about the voice actor, and more the voice direction.

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Apr 28th, 2008 at 01:37 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 01:33 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

And from my POV it could be the same too, but I just didn't get out my pram with you over it.

Petty it may have been in your opinion maybe, but your judging it as petty didn't neccesarily make it so.
Besides my argument would be less about the voice actor, and more the voice direction.

Define 'direction' please ?

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 01:40 PM
grey fox is currently offline Click here to Send grey fox a Private Message Find more posts by grey fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Process of directing voice actor in terms of tone, gravity of deliverance of the line, informing the actor what motivation lies behind the character or line and occasionally making the tea. etc

Wally Burr for example was voice director on the 80's originals.

Also the way the voice was slowed in post made the voice sound dumber whilst having to say the already dumbly written lines couldn't have helped. But I think thats down to the v director too.

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Apr 28th, 2008 at 01:48 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 01:44 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Process of directing voice actor in terms of tone, gravity of deliverance of the line, informing the actor what motivation lies behind the character or line and occasionally making the tea. etc

Wally Burr for example was voice director on the 80's originals.

Also the way the voice was slowed in post made the voice sound dumber whilst having to say the already dumbly written lines couldn't have helped. But I think thats down to the v director too.

So you believe that quality is lacking within the current direction ?

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 01:53 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yep. The reason they went with that Im sure was a dumbed down attempt to convey size.

But anyone who has heard an adult Elephant wail away, will realise the false economy of that concept that size determines pitch of a being's vocal output.

There were several other ways that size in sound could be conveyed, with simple use of more volume and more low frequency EQ on the robot voices, maybe using the old ring modulator and chorus trick they used to use even.

The characters could easily convey size, bredth and menace in other ways than to have them sound generic "big and dumb".

I think it may have been symptomatic of letting Bay call too many shots in areas he admitted having no love for or even knowledge of in the conceptualisation stage and Im not alone in feeling that way.

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Apr 28th, 2008 at 02:02 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 02:00 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Yep. The reason they went with that Im sure was a dumbed down attempt to convey size.

But anyone who has heard an adult Elephant wail away, will realise the false economy of that concept that size determines pitch of a being's vocal output.

There were several other ways that size in sound could be conveyed, with simple use of more volume and more low frequency EQ on the robot voices, maybe using the old ring modulator and chorus trick they used to use even.

The characters could easily convey size, bredth and menace in other ways than to have them sound generic "big and dumb".

I think it may have been symptomatic of letting Bay call too many shots in areas he admitted having no love for or even knowledge of in the conceptualisation stage and Im not alone in feeling that way.

......I'm reffering to Animated, not the movie.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 02:03 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Oh no, thats its own thing and it being so overly kiddified I don't really have much feeling on that either way.....

....but thinking on it for a mo, I actually think its prettty good. and appropriate to the level of the age-level show it is. Quite old school in its values I guess. More adherance to the characters we knew.
And it never claims to be something its not.

I like the Prowl voice. Grimlock etc was all cool. Primes gonna sound different in this concept anyhow..... not bad. The Megatron was good also.... Counts for a lot.

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Apr 28th, 2008 at 02:10 PM

Old Post Apr 28th, 2008 02:06 PM
Scythe
The Goat

Grimlock and Soundwave sounded great to me. Soundwave didn't speak in octaves where his voice "climbed" up and down as in G1, but the envelope filter style voice suited soundwave.

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 06:50 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Envelope filters are like a Wah or tone/eq effect that has no effect on pitch, but the tonal thickness of the note by filtering certain frequencies. Often forms a "quaaaaaaaaaaaaa" sound frather than a "wahhhhh" sound.

Soundwave's voice used a vocoder.
(Which trivia fans, can be heard on ELO's 'Mr.Blue sky', R2-D2 -blended with sampled boops and whoops- and its been popular in a fairbit of electro music too.)

Old Post May 3rd, 2008 10:19 AM
Scythe
The Goat

Oh that's what that is?

Old Post May 3rd, 2008 07:46 PM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Oh yeah...! Its a great effect. Real retro. smile

Old Post May 4th, 2008 09:01 PM
Scythe
The Goat

Well, I'm not too impressed with the animated's line of toys, however I will bargain that I'll go for Grimlock. He's the best one imo, so well made.

Old Post May 5th, 2008 12:21 PM
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Wreckgar is truly made of win. Weird Al does a surprisingly good job as a VA.

Old Post May 5th, 2008 07:00 PM
Scythe
The Goat

Oh yeah? Weird Al is in the new animated show?

Old Post May 6th, 2008 05:44 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

That I'd give a listen. Apt too, given his singing over half of Wreck-Gar's screentime in the 86 movie.

Old Post May 6th, 2008 02:37 PM
Scythe
The Goat

He's in the new animated show though?

Old Post May 8th, 2008 12:42 AM
freek

yeh he's supposed to be voicing wreck-gar

Old Post May 8th, 2008 01:05 AM
freek is currently offline Click here to Send freek a Private Message Find more posts by freek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
grey fox
KMC Magik Founder

Wreck Gar

Old Post May 8th, 2008 02:46 PM