KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » The one thing I hate most about Superman Returns

What do you think?
This poll is closed.
I like Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane and they should keep her. 7 16.67%
I hat Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane and should get someone else. 18 42.86%
I could really care less. 8 19.05%
Don't make another Superman movie. 9 21.43%
Total: 42 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The one thing I hate most about Superman Returns
Started by: Darth Martin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Yo whats that tune the kid and the dude were playing on the piano?

wasn't chopsticks was it? i haven't seen the movie in ages...

biggest problem with SR? the movie in its entirety, and how much of the budget was wasted when an FX fest like Hancock only cost 150 million.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 9th, 2009 06:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

It just hit me though. How does the son of Superman have asthma?

You Wa Shock!

Old Post May 9th, 2009 06:48 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix

It just hit me though. How does the son of Superman have asthma?

i'm pretty sure that's Chopsticks, but according to the web it's Heart and Soul... oh well.

PIS.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 9th, 2009 06:53 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Didn't like the fact it was trying to capture the Christopher Reeve Superman character.

It felt stuck in the past, with old-hat political and emotional sentiment from the Reeve-era. It felt dated because of that, almost irrelevant and done to death, not least because of Kevin Spacey basically playing an homage to Gene Hackman, which was terrible because Spacey would make a brilliant Lex if he was allowed to make it his own. It failled in the same way that if Heath Ledger tried to play Jack Nicholsons Joker, we would have missed out on that special performance we got instead. I felt cheated out of a really good Spacey version of Lex. Trying to run the same course just puts everyone involved on auto-pilot. They're just mimicking and copying something classical, Superman Returns completely failled to take the franchise anywhere new or interesting. It said almost nothing. Of all the billions of new things that are possible with a Superman film, we got a shadow, a tracing, of the original Superman formula.

Routh was a great choice for Superman, that's about it. They should start again, completely. Carve out something new rather than trying to retrace Donners world. When people try to reboot something or start anew, it seems to work out far better than someone trying to follow the pre-established and well-worn. Batman and Star Trek enjoyed decent reboots while Superman languishes in it's own archaic movie mythos. It needs to be pulled into the here-and-now, because Superman has been stuck in the past for a while and I don't think Superman should be a dinosaur of the superhero genre, because he doesn't have to be!

Last edited by Red Superfly on May 25th, 2009 at 05:16 PM

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:10 PM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snaz2000

Topic Reboot

...this was one of the movies I'd refused to watch ...along with Titanic, and every other Cameron film after the original Terminator

...not sure why I decided to take the plunge, but since watching, I've been yearning for Hackman to wrap a big chain and chunk of kryptonite around my neck and leave me to drown in a pool of water

if a child was going to be introduced, a homage to Mark Waid and Alex Ross would've been preferable... on second thought, who knows what pain would've ensued with an out of continuity Kingdom Come...

MattDay says, "...they had sex when he was temporarily affected by red sun radiation so he could have sex with her without killing her" ...dude, his manhood would'n't've killed Lois ...her tying to bring his baby to term would have ...and what was with the kid's asthma and the recessive redhead gene ...he looked like Archie's kid

I disagree with Tra-EL... no shark jumping... the Superman franchise has been in a downturn for a while... killed Richard Pryor, too...

Placidity -- Beckinsale wouldn't have worked either... all we remeber is the patent leather... too much sex appeal isn't Lois...

Personally, Thomas Welling would've been a better choice than Routh... at least, I would've known the producers were joking :-|

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 10:33 PM
snaz2000 is currently offline Click here to Send snaz2000 a Private Message Find more posts by snaz2000 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Originally posted by Red Superfly
Didn't like the fact it was trying to capture the Christopher Reeve Superman character.

It felt stuck in the past, with old-hat political and emotional sentiment from the Reeve-era. It felt dated because of that, almost irrelevant and done to death, not least because of Kevin Spacey basically playing an homage to Gene Hackman, which was terrible because Spacey would make a brilliant Lex if he was allowed to make it his own. It failled in the same way that if Heath Ledger tried to play Jack Nicholsons Joker, we would have missed out on that special performance we got instead. I felt cheated out of a really good Spacey version of Lex. Trying to run the same course just puts everyone involved on auto-pilot. They're just mimicking and copying something classical, Superman Returns completely failled to take the franchise anywhere new or interesting. It said almost nothing. Of all the billions of new things that are possible with a Superman film, we got a shadow, a tracing, of the original Superman formula.

Routh was a great choice for Superman, that's about it. They should start again, completely. Carve out something new rather than trying to retrace Donners world. When people try to reboot something or start anew, it seems to work out far better than someone trying to follow the pre-established and well-worn. Batman and Star Trek enjoyed decent reboots while Superman languishes in it's own archaic movie mythos. It needs to be pulled into the here-and-now, because Superman has been stuck in the past for a while and I don't think Superman should be a dinosaur of the superhero genre, because he doesn't have to be!
thumb up

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Jul 20th, 2012 12:27 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Didn't like Routh, the costume, Kate Bosmorth, the kid; and just overall thought the story was nothing special. But whenever that movie comes on, I know when to tune in for the plane, the gatling gun, and the continent lift. Ah gets the chills everytime.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 07:17 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Re: The one thing I hate most about Superman Returns

Originally posted by Darth Martin
I hate the fact that Lois Lane is married and has moved on, that's lame. Kent and Lane are supposed to be together.

If I remember right, Lois Lane is actually NOT married yet, but still has a kid.

By Superman.

Which is wrong on MANY levels.
Arguably more than makes sense to speak of right now.

Originally posted by Darth Martin
I always thought Lane was supposed to be thick and have a body. Bosworth is skinny and shockingly frail. There's nothing making me say hey, that woman's fine or something like that. What do ya'll think?

I think the actors chosen were too young. Or at least too young-looking. Certainly too youthful in appearance to convince me that they had known each other for more than 5 years AFTER graduating college.

I think what you're complaining about is that Bosworth did not then have the fullness associated with a 26 year old woman, and I agree, she didn't, 'cause she wasn't.

On the other hand, I did not really get the impression of "shockingly frail". She was in one too many physically demanding scenes to allow for that.

Did you pay attention to how much pounding she took before Superman saved the passenger plane she was in, even above that of the other riders?

Would put the average Olympian in traction, I think ...

Superman Returns Plane Rescue Scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xiwISrp1H4
4 min 47 sec

Actually, you'll think I'm making this up, but, the first time I saw Superman Returns, I caught in on TV, unfortunately missing the first 15 minutes. A foreign student from China happened to come upon me viewing the film. He asked a few questions and I told him all about how, yeah, this is Superman, he's been big this year, they've even brought his cousin back in a TV series they have now called Smallville.

"Cousin?"

Yep. Supergirl. Although she's usually in disguise as this dark-haired girl named Linda in the comics.

My friend sat silent for a bit paying close attention.
Then the plane scene I linked you to above played.

Immediately, of course, and predictably, he asked if THAT was her.

If you re-watched that plane scene again, I think you might now agree -- that was a very understandable mistake...

The other scene I was thinking of when I saw that you wrote this, though, was the following:

(Lois saves Clark from Drowning)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eoj...feature=related
3 min 27 sec

-----------------------------------------------------

So, no, seeing the above AND that plane scene, it IS true that I couldn't entirely shake the notion that Lois was too young.

But I sure didn't get the idea she was frail.

Which makes a lot of sense when you consider the athletic role that won Bosworth consideration for Superman Returns to begin with ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Crush

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 05:39 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I love how almost none of the complaints were about Lois Lane's character or the acting behind it, but only the apparent lack of hotness.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 07:01 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
I think the actors chosen were too young. Or at least too young-looking.
Def'ly.

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Superman Returns Plane Rescue Scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xiwISrp1H4
4 min 47 sec
*de chills*

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 12:00 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneFirestorm

Originally posted by I-Drop
Supes killed somebody? All I remember him doing was picking up heavy things. That's why the movie sucked. If I wanted to see that type of shit I'd watch a strongman competition. Singer should have gotten off of Donner's nut's and started fresh also.

Yes but then we wouldn't have gotten magnificent Man of Steel.

With 2 unsuccessful sequels it's logical to start over again not add a loose sequel.

I don't think I can pick one thing I hate the most about this emabrassment.
Superman was depicted as freaking Wolverine a guy that goes after a taken woman.
If this takes place after Superman 2 then Superman has been shown to be a liar after saying he wouldn't abandon his responsibility to the President of the Untied States and he leaves Earth to look for Krypton that no longer exists
Superman spies on Lois.
Superman is a deadbeat dad.
He's surprised when he's told Jason is Lois's son.
The horrid writing Superhuman hearing can hear multiple people more than 3 miles away but can't hear another heartbeat from Lois's stomach.
The climax is crap he lifts a rock.
The lack of action there is more action in the Max Fliescher Superman cartoons than this emabrassment.
S to Small, Looks more like Superboy not Superman.

The one thing I hate the most about Superman Returns is the crap depiction of Superman from the deadbeat dad, goes after a taken woman that's not him it's freaking Wolverine, etc.

Elliot Ness from the Terrific Action Crime Drama Mob Movie The Untouchables

Old Post Jul 4th, 2013 06:29 PM
TheOneFirestorm is currently offline Click here to Send TheOneFirestorm a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneFirestorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote