KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Do the Marvel and Dc multiverses exist within the same creation?

Do the Marvel and Dc multiverses exist within the same creation?
Started by: GalacticStorm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (31): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

Do the Marvel and Dc multiverses exist within the same creation?

Thats a question i've been wondering for a long time. It wasn't until the release of the JLA/Avengers crossover and the official acknowledgement of the crossover as canon from both companies that i finally got an answer.

(please log in to view the image)

Pulsars bio entry:

"the verdant will powered energies of an extra-dimensional emerald gladiator.

Here’s a quote from a Handbook writer on Marvel.com

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Talk...from_crossovers

quote:
Profiles for characters that Marvel has crossed over into can not be created due to Marvel not owning the rights to those characters. This includes any character from DC (JLA/AVENGERS, X-MEN/TEEN TITANS, GREEN LANTERN/SILVER SURFER, etc.), Image, Dynamite ASH VS MARVEL ZOMBIES, RED SONJA/SPIDER-MAN, etc.), and even the Amalgam characters including Access. Access was co-created and therefore neither Marvel or DC own the rights to it.

You can say 'heroes from another reality' in a profile, but you can not mention the actual names of those characters. For example in the Taskmaster profile when he fought characters from the DC Universe I used the following phrase:

"Taskmaster teamed with Shockwave, Whiplash, Crossbones, Zaran the Weapons Master, Tumbler, Razor-Fist, Machete, Conquest and a martial arts expert from the other universe to fight Black Widow, Black Panther and two caped urban knights from the other universe."

It is a discription of the character without naming them. --DragynWulf 20:37, 7 May 2007 (CDT) (Moderator)

This explains the vague reference.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:34 PM
GalacticStorm is currently offline Click here to Send GalacticStorm a Private Message Find more posts by GalacticStorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

Here’s another example.

Remember Spectre and LT’s battle against the Brothers in the non canon crossover Marvel Vs DC?
Well those brothers were retconned in X-men Adventures to being guardians created by LT and the Spectre:

LT talks of having to consult his “spectral hooded ally” about creating the Brothers
LT’s bio talks of how he helped create the Brothers.

The Grandmasters bio also refers to the JLA/Avengers crossover.
Marvel directly acknowledges the DC world as existing. Marvel also acknowledges that there is only one omniverse which means they are within the same creation.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:35 PM
GalacticStorm is currently offline Click here to Send GalacticStorm a Private Message Find more posts by GalacticStorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

Here is what the official Handbook writers at Marvunapp say on the matter:
http://www.marvunapp.com/list/app8162.htm
quote:
Past stories have established that characters that are generally unique to certain multiverses are fictional to characters from other multiverses. (Of course, the reason that they tend to be unique to a certain multiverse has to do with the fact that they are strictly copyrighted and trademarked.) Somehow, a sort of "bleeding through" occurs by which certain people become subconsciously aware of events in other multiverses, and these people tend to be comic book artists and writers who use these visions for their work. For concrete examples of this phenomenon, in the New Universe (which, although owned by Marvel completely, to preserve a distinctive feel, has been designated as outside of the multiverse), the X-Men are only fictional characters-see Starbrand#11-12 for confirmation. The X-Men do not have counterparts in the New Universe. Superman/Fantastic Four established that Superman, of the DC Multiverse/Hypertimelines, is known on Earth-616 as only a fictional character. Superman does not have an Earth-616 counterpart. (Incidentally, Thor and other characters based on folklore and mythology--which are of course, public domain--are exceptions to this rule.)

So basically more confirmation that DC and Marvels comic book properties exist in the same omniverse, but just in separate multiverses and they do not depict each other unless given specific permission to(e.g one off crossovers)because of copyright.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:36 PM
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

I’ve heard some arguments with regards to how Marvel characters such as Roma number all realities within the omniverse, does that change the fact that Marvels stance is that theres one omniverse and that DC are their extra-dimensional neighbours? no

Just means that while DC residents might call it Earth-S, Roma might call it Earth 16781 from her Marvel perspective wink

The omniverse depicted in Marvel is from a Marvel bias and perspective. Omniversal roles are possessed by characters from both companies and for all their talk of being able to destroy or affect an omniverse, it either never happens or if it does then its always done from that specific companies perspective because that’s all they have the right to do by copyright law unless they write up an agreement with the other company allowing them to specifically depict or refer to the other company’s property being affected/destroyed such as within the JLA/Avengers canon crossover.

I’ve heard talk of how Marvels Supreme Being is TOAA and DC’s is The Presence. Does that change the fact that Marvels stance is that there’s one omniverse and DC is recognised as an extra-dimensional neighbour? no

If anything it should make you question what TOAA and Presence are in relation to each other, are they the same being represented differently to the two multiverses? Who knows? The fact that we don’t know the answer to that question does NOT change Marvels official stance.

Last edited by GalacticStorm on Jan 9th, 2008 at 06:42 PM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:37 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

One could say that the whole of Marvel = an Omniverse, and the whole of DC = an Omniverse, and these two Omniverses can exist together at certain times, [ie. when crossovers occur], to form a greater Omniverse, [which follows the 'greater levels of infinity' concept in comics]....

But I wouldn't say that they are perma-linked to the same general creation, ALL of the time -- or else you'd have Marvel characters affecting DC, and vice versa..

Would that make sense? no

I refuse to believe Roma can destroy Universes in DC with the CN, and that Superman saved DC AND Marvel by vibrating.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:43 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

wb?

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:46 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nod
Restricted

Account Restricted

Every universe is.

Thats what they do in comics, they don't have to explain everything do with with other Universes etc.

XXX Rated 2girls 1 cup
Thanks for the sig Passione.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:48 PM
Nod is currently offline Click here to Send Nod a Private Message Find more posts by Nod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Galan007
One could say that the whole of Marvel = an Omniverse, and the whole of DC = an Omniverse, and these two Omniverses can exist together at certain times, [ie. when crossovers occur], to form a greater Omniverse, [which follows the 'greater levels of infinity' concept in comics]....

But I wouldn't say that they are perma-linked to the same general creation, ALL of the time -- or else you'd have Marvel characters affecting DC, and vice versa..

I refuse to believe Roma can destroy Universes in DC with the CN, and that Superman saved DC AND Marvel by vibrating.

Marvel states that there is only ONE omniverse as per the actual definition of the word. Marvel acknowledges DC as extra-dimensional neigbours.

By that point they certainly exist within the same omniverse. The reason we don't see interaction between the two regularly is simply a matter of real world copyright. erm

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:49 PM
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by Galan007

True, their loosely termed 'omniverse' in Marvel comics, simply means to me, all of the groups of Marvel comics universes. While DC is it's own creation as well, and there's simply no word for something greater when concerning groups of universes. It's pretty much a misfire whenever it's used in a comics by any of the comics given that to most readers it would include pretty much the whole genre of hero comics.

I believe in one comic they said Superman Blue was potentially the most powerful being in the omniverse.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:49 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

For me all comic books and fiction exist within the creation known as Omniverse.

DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, Wildstorm, Manga, etc....they're all part of one.

Fictionalverse>Omniverse.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:50 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nod
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
For me all comic books and fiction exist within the creation known as Omniverse.

DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, Wildstorm, Manga, etc....they're all part of one.

Fictionalverse>Omniverse.
Pretty much.

XXX Rated 2girls 1 cup

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:51 PM
Nod is currently offline Click here to Send Nod a Private Message Find more posts by Nod Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Juntai
True, their loosely termed 'omniverse' in Marvel comics, simply means to me, all of the groups of Marvel comics universes. While DC is it's own creation as well, and there's simply no word for something greater when concerning groups of universes. It's pretty much a misfire whenever it's used in a comics by any of the comics given that to most readers it would include pretty much the whole genre of hero comics.

I believe in one comic they said Superman Blue was potentially the most powerful being in the omniverse.
I agree. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:51 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

There is the term multiverse.

Plus if its Marvels stance that the omniverse is literally all there is and that theres only one and that DC are their extra-dimensional neighbours, thats pretty much conclusive that they're within the same creation.

Superman being called potentially the most powerful being in the omniverse doesnt change that point. You can either take that as hyperbole or you could just accept the point. Doesnt change the official stance.

Last edited by GalacticStorm on Jan 9th, 2008 at 07:04 PM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 06:57 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Nod
Pretty much.

Open your mind and step into the....

....WDVERSE! shifty

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 07:00 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by GalacticStorm
There is the term multiverse.

Plus if its Marvels stance that the omniverse is literally all there is and that theres only one and that DC are their extra-dimensional neighbours, thats pretty much conclusive that they're within the same creation.

Superman being called [B]potentially[B] the most powerful being in the omniverse doesnt change that point. You can either take that as hyperbole or you could just accept the point. Doesnt change the official stance.
Very well could be, I'm just saying when either company just throws the term into a comic, I don't believe they're taking that into account rather than just their own -verses. But for all purposes, I do think they're part of the same whatever. There's a slew of evidence supporting it, like you did up there.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 07:02 PM
Nod
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Open your mind and step into the....

....WDVERSE! shifty

Can I be the WDVERSE'S Superman?

XXX Rated 2girls 1 cup

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 07:04 PM
GalacticStorm
Smart Alec Know-It-All

Very well could be, I'm just saying when either company just throws the term into a comic, I don't believe they're taking that into account rather than just their own -verses. But for all purposes, I do think they're part of the same whatever. There's a slew of evidence supporting it, like you did up there.

Totally agree. thumb up

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 07:05 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Nod
Can I be the WDVERSE'S Superman?

One whiny emo Superman is enough, thank you.

no expression

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 08:08 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Citizen V.

Originally posted by DigiMark007

no expression

thumb up

This post has been approved by Citizen V.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 08:12 PM
Citizen V. is currently offline Click here to Send Citizen V. a Private Message Find more posts by Citizen V. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Air Legend
Moderat0r

Originally posted by DigiMark007

no expression

Shouldn't you be closing this since it is a comic book question?
I don't really care, but that's what you usually do...just sayin.

Michael Demiurgos Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 08:39 PM
Air Legend is currently offline Click here to Send Air Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Air Legend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote