KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » James Cameron to announce Jesus tomb discovery.

James Cameron to announce Jesus tomb discovery.
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Is ten dollars with more than a human hand ?

Is that how twisted your religion is, that you value physical possessions over a human's limb ?

He would also NOT address the problem of what if the person was innocent.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 10:59 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
He would also NOT address the problem of what if the person was innocent.

I know roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 11:04 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I know roll eyes (sarcastic)

Maybe his justice system is so perfect that it never makes a mistake. What a wonderful paradise he lives in. wink

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 11:08 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

If the guy was innocent, god would never allow him to be accused in the first place.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 11:10 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Maybe his justice system is so perfect that it never makes a mistake. What a wonderful paradise he lives in. wink

Since when are Nightmares perfect ?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 11:10 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
If the guy was innocent, god would never allow him to be accused in the first place.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Oh! Good point. embarrasment

I'm a good robot...

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 11:17 PM
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

Mary died in Ephesus, Matthew died far away as well. Rome destroyed Jerusalem and the Jewish people scattered. They wouldn't be in that tomb even if it were Jesus's family tomb.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 02:35 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

How come Jews have been cast out of every single land they try to live ? What the **** man

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 03:42 AM
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Nellinator
Mary died in Ephesus, Matthew died far away as well. Rome destroyed Jerusalem and the Jewish people scattered. They wouldn't be in that tomb even if it were Jesus's family tomb.

Originally posted by Adam_PoE

In the second half of "The Lost Tomb of Jesus: A Critical Look," the two Christian theologians said as much. The woman on the panel went so far as to state that one should always defer to The Bible, i.e. in instances when archaeological or scientific evidence contradicts The Bible, it is always the evidence that is wrong. As I stated previously, this is indicative of having approached the documentary with a closed-mind, i.e. having already decided that the evidence is wrong before it has even been presented.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 04:49 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

How come Jews have been cast out of every single land they try to live ? What the **** man

Tis unfair...
The evidence isn't right, objectively. Even without the Bible it is wrong, the people died elsewhere and the Jerusalem area was abandoned. That is why the evidence is strongly against this being the tomb of anyone after the destruction of Jerusalem, putting Matthew and both Marys out of the picture. No evidence suggests otherwise. No one has been able to refute that argument. Heck, even if it were the disciple Matthew it would be inconsistent with Jewish burial tradition.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 06:03 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Tis unfair... The evidence isn't right, objectively. Even without the Bible it is wrong, the people died elsewhere and the Jerusalem area was abandoned. That is why the evidence is strongly against this being the tomb of anyone after the destruction of Jerusalem, putting Matthew and both Marys out of the picture.

The Bible is the only evidence that they were buried elsewhere.

No evidence suggests otherwise. No one has been able to refute that argument.

The evidence presented in the documentary suggests otherwise.

Heck, even if it were the disciple Matthew it would be inconsistent with Jewish burial tradition.

The Matthew buried in the Talpiot ossuary is not Matthew the disciple.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 08:43 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Heck, even if it were the disciple Matthew it would be inconsistent with Jewish burial tradition.

Did you even watch the documentary?

It doesn't seem that way. If you did, you didn't understand it. To this end, I would invite you not to post in this thread anymore. This thread was open for at least a week before the program aired. In that time all the posts were speculation. The program has been rebroadcast several times on a number of basic and higher tier cable channels, however. If you can't avail yourself of one of the repeat showings, then you don't need to be commenting on the very specific topic of this thread.

And Adam may say you, like the biblical scholar he mentioned from the 'critical look", are approaching it with a closed mind. But I disagree. It's clear from your useless comments that you didn't even approach the documentary at all. But I agree you didn't even try because you're close minded.

However, since you are an expert on 1st century jewish burial traditions, why don't you tell us what those traditions entail. Since you haven't seen the program, or it went over your head, feel free to tell us what you know on the topic so we can all inform you that you agree with more of the conclusions reached in the program than you are aware.

Last edited by Devil King on Mar 8th, 2007 at 01:01 AM

Old Post Mar 8th, 2007 12:58 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

I'm only asking because I didn't bother to watch, but I read on some site debunking the documentary, that as stated Jesus was a common name back then (said in the documentary) and that in the tomb-yard there were an additional 23 or so tombs with the name Jesus on them anyway.

Was this mentioned at all on the documentary?

Not saying it's fact, just that I read it and was curious if this was stated.

Also, the DNA evidence was used to prove that the inhabitants of the tombs were related (kind of a given, really) but how was the DNA used to prove that the tombs were acutally of Jesus of Nazareth and his mother Marry and father Joseph and another Marry and a Matthew?

How is it other than some math game that them being together proves anything?

It's like saying that because you found a tomb of people that DNA says were related and they had the names John, Jaqueline, and John Jr. that you MUST have found the Kennedy's tombs. stick out tongue

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Mar 8th, 2007 09:40 PM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by sithsaber408
I'm only asking because I didn't bother to watch, but I read on some site debunking the documentary, that as stated Jesus was a common name back then (said in the documentary) and that in the tomb-yard there were an additional 23 or so tombs with the name Jesus on them anyway.

Was this mentioned at all on the documentary?

No specific number of other tombs was mentioned, but it was repeatedly asserted that Jesus was a common name. However, a large portion of the show was dedicated to the grouping of relevant names. The statistics involved in finding all of these names, familial relations, etc in one place, is pretty compelling.

Also, the DNA evidence was used to prove that the inhabitants of the tombs were related (kind of a given, really) but how was the DNA used to prove that the tombs were acutally of Jesus of Nazareth and his mother Marry and father Joseph and another Marry and a Matthew?

There is no known base sample of DNA for Jesus. So, no, they didn't say that it was a DNA match for Jesus. They tested the family relationships, based on DNA, for the tombs. This established who was and was not genetically related, and in what manner they were related. So it might have been a given that they were related, but the nature of that relationship was defined and helps to narrow the "math game", as you put it, used to calculate the chances.

How is it other than some math game that them being together proves anything?

Statistics is not a math game. It's based on numbers and probability. Which is a bit more complex than saying a human body just floated into heaven.

It's like saying that because you found a tomb of people that DNA says were related and they had the names John, Jaqueline, and John Jr. that you MUST have found the Kennedy's tombs. stick out tongue

Judging from your questions, and the fact that you've answered them, I think you know it's a bit more complex than that. DNA, names, location, time period, etc all went into this. However, you know as well as the rest of us, that there were no solid conclusions reached, which is exactly what everyone thought would be the case when they started discussing this.

But, beyond all that.

I'd like to hear from the christian members of this board. Given that this was difinitively proven to be the tomb of Jesus, what would that mean to your identity as a christian?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2007 10:06 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

No specific number of other tombs was mentioned, but it was repeatedly asserted that Jesus was a common name. However, a large portion of the show was dedicated to the grouping of relevant names. The statistics involved in finding all of these names, familial relations, etc in one place, is pretty compelling.

There is no known base sample of DNA for Jesus. So, no, they didn't say that it was a DNA match for Jesus. They tested the family relationships, based on DNA, for the tombs. This established who was and was not genetically related, and in what manner they were related. So it might have been a given that they were related, but the nature of that relationship was defined and helps to narrow the "math game", as you put it, used to calculate the chances.

Statistics is not a math game. It's based on numbers and probability. Which is a bit more complex than saying a human body just floated into heaven.

Judging from your questions, and the fact that you've answered them, I think you know it's a bit more complex than that. DNA, names, location, time period, etc all went into this. However, you know as well as the rest of us, that there were no solid conclusions reached, which is exactly what everyone thought would be the case when they started discussing this.

But, beyond all that.

I'd like to hear from the christian members of this board. Given that this was difinitively proven to be the tomb of Jesus, what would that mean to your identity as a christian?

Do you feel this is really the last resting place of Jesus? I mean, I'm still open to whatever else is introduce now or later. However, this is one of the issues that I and people had during the docu-drama:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/p...2270730/-1/ZNYT

In an interview, Mr. Jacobovici was asked why the filmmakers did not conduct DNA testing on the other ossuaries to determine whether the one inscribed Judah, son of Jesus was genetically related to either the Jesus or Mary Magdalene boxes; or whether the Jesus remains were actually the offspring of Mary. "We're not scientists. At the end of the day we cant wait till every ossuary is tested for DNA," he said. "We took the story that far. At some point you have to say, I've done my job as a journalist."

There is also the James Ossuary which he claims is part of the tomb. The James Ossuary's authenticity is in question, and one of its past owners has been charged with fraud in connection to the artifact.

To me there are some holes in this whole deal. Remenber, Jacobovici did put a disclaimer leaving the viewer to ponder and question the project. I think that's the best disclaimer ever made in a docu-drama.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2007 12:48 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Do you feel this is really the last resting place of Jesus? I mean, I'm still open to whatever else is introduce now or later. However, this is one of the issues that I and people had during the docu-drama:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/p...2270730/-1/ZNYT

In an interview, Mr. Jacobovici was asked why the filmmakers did not conduct DNA testing on the other ossuaries to determine whether the one inscribed Judah, son of Jesus was genetically related to either the Jesus or Mary Magdalene boxes; or whether the Jesus remains were actually the offspring of Mary. "We're not scientists. At the end of the day we cant wait till every ossuary is tested for DNA," he said. "We took the story that far. At some point you have to say, I've done my job as a journalist."

This was explained in the program.

The "Jesus, son of Joseph" and "Mary, known as Master" ossuaries were the only two that contained bone fragments that could be readily tested for DNA.

Testing the residue in the other ossuaries for DNA was too expensive and time consuming for the purposes of this documentary.

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
There is also the James Ossuary which he claims is part of the tomb. The James Ossuary's authenticity is in question, and one of its past owners has been charged with fraud in connection to the artifact.

To me there are some holes in this whole deal. Remenber, Jacobovici did put a disclaimer leaving the viewer to ponder and question the project. I think that's the best disclaimer ever made in a docu-drama.

The authenticity of the ossuary is not in question. The authenticity of part of the inscription is in question.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2007 03:59 AM
the Darkone

Jacobovici is so ignorant is not even funny, Jesus in Hebrew means Yehoshua translated in English Joshua. Everybody during that time of jesus and before these names are very common: Joseph, Mary, Joshua( Yehoshua which is Jesus in Hebrew) he has no creditability as a archeologist's what so ever.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2007 04:25 AM
the Darkone is currently offline Click here to Send the Darkone a Private Message Find more posts by the Darkone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by the Darkone
Jacobovici is so ignorant it is not even funny. Jesus in Hebrew means Yehoshua. Translated into English it's pronounced Joshua. Everybody during the time of jesus and before these names are very common: Joseph, Mary, Joshua( Yehoshua which is Jesus in Hebrew) he has no creditability as a archeologist's what so ever.

Thanks for chiming in three or four pages too late.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2007 05:21 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

This was explained in the program.

The "Jesus, son of Joseph" and "Mary, known as Master" ossuaries were the only two that contained bone fragments that could be readily tested for DNA.

Testing the residue in the other ossuaries for DNA was too expensive and time consuming for the purposes of this documentary.

To which Ted in the one hour critical mentions why waste the money on paying actors and making documentary a drama when that money could have been used to do the testing more properly.

The authenticity of the ossuary is not in question. The authenticity of part of the inscription is in question.

It's still part of the tomb. It should be included.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2007 03:46 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

But, beyond all that.

It means nothing really.

It was a theory, based on statistical probability and incomplete DNA evidence.

A theory, one that wasn't even conclusive.

Yeah, a mary and a joseph and a jesus and a matthew were burried together. Yeah, some were family, and some weren't.

If I found a tomb that had a tom, dick, harry, and jane, what would it matter?

I've still seen 100 kids baptized in the Holy Spirit at once and speak in tounges, and seen them healed of asthma and diabetes on the spot. (that was all at one youth event.)

A prophet came to our church 3 weeks ago and told me that things of my family line, the generational curses that they dealt with and had impacted me, wouldn't be passed on any farther and wouldn't effect my children.

Funny that me and my wife had been talking that very sunday morning about my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother having bi-polar depression, and my grandmother on my father's side have paranoid scyzophrenia and all of them using alcohol or drugs and how I had dealt with a depression for a few months as a teenager and been on all kinds of drugs, isn't it?

Funny that we should be talking about that and my wife saying that she hopes our kids (when we have them) don't carry on those traits.

And even funnier that pastor Marc Cargill from Oregon, a man I'd never met before IN MY LIFE, was given that EXACT word by the Holy Spirit to tell me, isn't it?

No poorly executed theory can compete in my mind or my heart with the very REAL power and presence of God. smile

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Mar 9th, 2007 05:08 PM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote