KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Greatest single season nfl team...

Greatest single season nfl team...
Started by: quanchi112

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Citizen V.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
Postseason domination is a huge factor. The Dolphins were also undefeated in 72 but would have gotten trounced by a number of teams. I put the 07 Pats up there but not in the top three. They should have decimated the Chargers. Their qb was banged up and their mvp wasnt in there. smile

89 Niners would have beaten the 85 Bears.

You haven't listened to a word I've said, have you?

Just because they aren't dominating every post season game, that doesn't make them any less of a team than the '85 Bears, because rather than being inferior to the Bears themselves; their opponents may have just been >>>> the team's the Bears played in 85.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2008 04:31 PM
Citizen V. is currently offline Click here to Send Citizen V. a Private Message Find more posts by Citizen V. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Citizen V
You haven't listened to a word I've said, have you?

Just because they aren't dominating every post season game, that doesn't make them any less of a team than the '85 Bears, because rather than being inferior to the Bears themselves; their opponents may have just been >>>> the team's the Bears played in 85.
Yeah because we all know the teams <<before the salary cap. laughing Teams are weaker now than they were then. The Beras also had the number one ranked defense and either the number one or number 2 ranked offense.

This year there hasnt been one dominating defense to scare anyone. The Steelers were number one right? Their defense gave up all kinds of points.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2008 06:16 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGame17

Re: Greatest single season nfl team...

Well I feel this is relevant especially because we could have an undefeated team. I do not think the Pats are the greatest team of all time. I feel there are a few teams out there that were better.

Ill name them.

89 49ers
94 49ers
92 Cowboys
78 Steelers
85 Bears
84 49ers

the 78 steelers are the only team i see possibly beating the patriots.

none of those teams had the offense the patriots possess.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2008 06:33 PM
TheGame17 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGame17 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGame17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGame17

So even though the Pats havent thoroughly decimated the competition in the postseason you give them the nod. No one scored on the Bears tuill the Super Bowl. Thats called utter domination. The pats letting the Chargers hand around till the fourth quarter is pathetic. Rivers was beyond banged up and Lt sat out. The 89 niners and the 85 bears would stomp a mudhole in these Pats.

the thing the patriots have done is that they've adjusted to situations in order to win. tom brady didn't have a good game at passing on Sunday, so they gave it to Maroney who took care of it.

i don't think any of the great teams could "blow-out" every single team that came in their way.
all great teams will have bad games and not do as well as advertised, but what makes them great is that they find a way to win.

For the Patriots to go undefeated in such a competitive league is very impressive.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2008 06:38 PM
TheGame17 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGame17 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGame17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Re: Re: Greatest single season nfl team...

Originally posted by TheGame17
the 78 steelers are the only team i see possibly beating the patriots.

none of those teams had the offense the patriots possess.
Are you kidding me. The 94 niners had a phenomenal offense and a pretty damn good defense. They had the second best rush defense that year and had Deion Sanders and a pretty good secondary. The pats defense would break against Young and his offense. The 89 niners lit up the scoreboard in the postseason. They utterly dominated while the Pats only put up 21 against the Chargers.Trust me the Pats are great but couldnt beat any of the teams I listed.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2008 04:11 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by TheGame17
the thing the patriots have done is that they've adjusted to situations in order to win. tom brady didn't have a good game at passing on Sunday, so they gave it to Maroney who took care of it.

i don't think any of the great teams could "blow-out" every single team that came in their way.
all great teams will have bad games and not do as well as advertised, but what makes them great is that they find a way to win.

For the Patriots to go undefeated in such a competitive league is very impressive.
I do agree that it is impressive but the teams I named were better than them. Its that simple.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2008 04:12 AM
TheGame17

Re: Re: Re: Greatest single season nfl team...

Are you kidding me. The 94 niners had a phenomenal offense and a pretty damn good defense. They had the second best rush defense that year and had Deion Sanders and a pretty good secondary. The pats defense would break against Young and his offense. The 89 niners lit up the scoreboard in the postseason. They utterly dominated while the Pats only put up 21 against the Chargers.Trust me the Pats are great but couldnt beat any of the teams I listed.

I understand, but the current league is competitive. You can't expect the patriots to score 40 to 50 points every single game.
DESPITE that, they still scored more points in a regular season than any other team in history.

Patriots have alot of weapons on the offense, such as the runnning with Maroney, deep pass to Moss, short pass to Welker, etc..
I agree their defense isn't on par, but its still one of the top defensive lines in the league.

I think they'd have enough to give those teams a run for their money.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2008 01:43 AM
Mr Parker

tossup between the 78 steelers-heard a lot about them that they were dominating back then and 85 bears.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2008 05:28 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

[QUOTE=10100520]Originally posted by guy222
[B]I'm biased....'99 Rams

the 99 Los Angeles Rams huh? wink

Old Post Jan 25th, 2008 05:29 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

People worry too much about records and stats. Sure, perfect seasons are nice. But there's a reason the undefeated Dolphins never enter the conversation, and probably weren't even as good as others from their era (like the Steelers' SB teams).

I prefer just looking at a team. Like the Pats. Great offense, but not built for cold weather and the defense is decent but probably not even that good. I think a good pass rush and running game would not just beat them but embarrass them. Most of the teams on this list would beat them soundly. But it's because they have a good O-line, great receivers, and a league who would rather get beat slowly as they drop 8 in coverage than actually blitz, that they win.

Best all time? Not hardly. I think last year's Colts, the previous year's Steelers, hell the previous year's Pats...would all beat them at least 6/10.

85 Bears for me. I also like the 96 Packers and the 98 Broncos. Not mentioned enough in these sorts of conversations....and both would line up against the teams you normally hear (89 Niners, 70-something Steelers, 90-something Boys, etc.) and play fine.

Last edited by Digi on Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:31 PM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2008 11:29 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'll agree with you on that one.

The Pats do have some glaring weaknesses.

I always will figure that if the Pats were in a tougher division, they would atleast lost 1 game. It's really hard for a team that has two good teams in it to win all 6 games. Look at thier division, the worst team in the league and top 5 worst team in the league.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2008 12:28 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by DigiMark007
People worry too much about records and stats. Sure, perfect seasons are nice. But there's a reason the undefeated Dolphins never enter the conversation, and probably weren't even as good as others from their era (like the Steelers' SB teams).

I prefer just looking at a team. Like the Pats. Great offense, but not built for cold weather and the defense is decent but probably not even that good. I think a good pass rush and running game would not just beat them but embarrass them. Most of the teams on this list would beat them soundly. But it's because they have a good O-line, great receivers, and a league who would rather get beat slowly as they drop 8 in coverage than actually blitz, that they win.

Best all time? Not hardly. I think last year's Colts, the previous year's Steelers, hell the previous year's Pats...would all beat them at least 6/10.

85 Bears for me. I also like the 96 Packers and the 98 Broncos. Not mentioned enough in these sorts of conversations....and both would line up against the teams you normally hear (89 Niners, 70-something Steelers, 90-something Boys, etc.) and play fine.
For the most part I agree with you. People do worry to much about regular season records. Case and point. Do you remember the 99 Rams. Offense as clicking on all cylinders. They had an easy ass schedule for one which people tend to forget and two. They didnt really blow anyone out and didnt even score 20 in the nfc championship game. So when it mattered they still won but didnt even come close to dominating. I think the nfc championship game was 11-6 against the buc and the super bowl was decided by a yard.

Ok now when we swing back to the Pats. Sure their offense is all that but their defense lets teams drive on them all day. The offense slowed down dramatically against a Tomlinsonless Chargers team.

I think though digimark you left out some great niners teams. 84,89,94 comes to mind. 98 broncos I am impressed with you bringing them up because they were badass. Another team people forget about is the 91 redskins. They mauled teams as well. 86 Giants werent to shabby either.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2008 06:50 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Agreed quan. Though I try to leave out some of the obvious teams and attempt to give credit to those that I don't think get enough rep. But yeah, all those teams you mentioned are in the convo.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2008 10:23 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Agreed quan. Though I try to leave out some of the obvious teams and attempt to give credit to those that I don't think get enough rep. But yeah, all those teams you mentioned are in the convo.
Yes, I just wish some other people would realize that just because you own some cool records and are undefeated that it doesnt mean you are the most complete and greatest nfl team of all time. smile

Old Post Jan 27th, 2008 06:16 AM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

The Giants are huge underdogs and if they win this could be the greatest upset in Nfl history.

While many would think that, I wouldn't.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2008 06:07 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by BobbyD
Good points. ...is exactly why the Giants should win, and why I'm picking them to win. They are flat out, no doubt about it, no rocket science, so easy to see that a casual fan can tell are playing the better football. The Chargers w/o LT, Gates, and healthy Rivers, is like playing the Dolphins. And the Pats barely survived.

This is reminiscient to the Steelers going a couple of years ago when they beat 3 road teams and got hot at the right time to win the Super Bowl. The outcome "should" be no different.

Happy Dance

I'm goooood. big grin

Old Post Feb 11th, 2008 07:05 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

While many would think that, I wouldn't.
They were big underdogs. All the announcers and analysts already practically proclaimed New England the champs.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2008 09:46 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Happy Dance

I'm goooood. big grin
I agree that the Pats and their win against the Chargers was laughable. I mean they won but the Chargers were without their best player...and the barely won. They were far from the greatest team of all time.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2008 09:48 PM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

They were big underdogs. All the announcers and analysts already practically proclaimed New England the champs.

...which absolutely infuriates me as to why there are so many stupid f**ks in sports broadcasting, analysts, coaching and GM spots.

Believe me: there are many Joe Schmo civilians out there who can go toe to toe with a lot of these people, who only have these jobs for who they know--not what they know.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2008 02:50 PM
botankus
Bass-ackwards

...which absolutely infuriates me as to why there are so many stupid f**ks in sports broadcasting, analysts, coaching and GM spots.

Believe me: there are many Joe Schmo civilians out there who can go toe to toe with a lot of these people, who only have these jobs for who they know--not what they know.

Agreed.

Backup QB with 80 IQ always gets the nod over 30-year fan who devotes every Sunday to getting the most out of each and every game.

The reason? People typically don't want to be "told" about football by someone who's never played at the professional level.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2008 04:25 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote