KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Destruction of the Endeavour

Destruction of the Endeavour
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Destruction of the Endeavour

Despite a somewhat dissappointing last episode, AWE does have on of the most outstanding sequences of the last few years: the destrcution of the Endeavor with Beckett walking down the stairs. When I saw it in the theater I was already impressed. I've seen it over and over again, it's one most excellent sequence. Technically challenging and a seamless cut.

Is there any other POTC sequence that you feel can rival that bit?

Old Post Feb 9th, 2008 02:34 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PirateDiva
So In LoVe WiTh JoHnnY!

Yes that was great! My first thought on the destruction of the Endeavor while Beckett descends the stairs unharmed was that I was afraid ppl might find it too...cheesy, for the lack of a better word at the moment. But reading around forums n stuff I've read that ppl actually liked it and made me feel better about it! lol

It's not a full-on action sequence but everytime the Flying Dutchman breaks through the surface of the ocean I always get chills! I dont know why but I love that detail about the FD...i find it fasinating!

Thanks Savvy! *Huggles*

Old Post Feb 9th, 2008 11:09 PM
PirateDiva is currently offline Click here to Send PirateDiva a Private Message Find more posts by PirateDiva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

quote: (post)
Originally posted by PirateDiva
Yes that was great! My first thought on the destruction of the Endeavor while Beckett descends the stairs unharmed was that I was afraid ppl might find it too...cheesy, for the lack of a better word at the moment. But reading around forums n stuff I've read that ppl actually liked it and made me feel better about it! lol

You should, tecnically quite an acheivement. It's a shot made several times at different speeds.. both in cranking and in dolly speed. Beckett's shot is faster, camera cranking wise, than the explosions. A major feat.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2008 11:16 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
IheartPocky
Not a sausage..

I loved it. Not cheesy one bit. Tia's scene is cheesy.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2008 12:52 AM
IheartPocky is currently offline Click here to Send IheartPocky a Private Message Find more posts by IheartPocky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Yes, Beckett's death was beautifully filmed and fitting of his character. I do like the fact that his body falls into the EITC flag more so than the actual flames. I think it really spells out the "absolute power corrupts absolutely" theme that is Beckett.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2008 01:00 AM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PirateDiva
So In LoVe WiTh JoHnnY!

Agreed Tia's Scene was Cheesy!!

Oh dont get me wrong I loved Becketts death scene from the begining! I guess panic struck me after Tia/ Calypso's Scene that when I saw Becketts I was more worried about what everyone else would think! lol...But I loved it! It was quite befitting to his character especially after he said "It's just good business!" the look of defeat on Beckett's face was PRICELESS!!! lol

Thanks Savvy! *Huggles*

Old Post Feb 10th, 2008 01:46 AM
PirateDiva is currently offline Click here to Send PirateDiva a Private Message Find more posts by PirateDiva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
texgodiva2s
IyamwhatIyam

Absolute waste of a fabulous warship--exploding bannisters on the walk down from the quarterdeck....sorta said Hollywood to me--expression was priceless, pitiful--I'm witcha ImpPiDiva, I so love the unreal quality of the Dutchman breeching. Damn, gets me hot cos you know it's the bad guys. Better than the Jaws theme pre-shark.

Siggy by Savvy wink

Old Post Feb 10th, 2008 04:02 AM
texgodiva2s is currently offline Click here to Send texgodiva2s a Private Message Find more posts by texgodiva2s Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Better? Can it beat that? Hehehehe

For me it'll rank high on best scenes ever. Interesting how it was technically a major challenge, yet it looks very simple, plain and small... to film the destruction of such a big ship with just medium and close shots, focussing entirely on one man. Good choice! For me it's the highlight of AWE... it's one of the very few real Verbinski scenes in AWE.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2008 09:46 AM
VioletEyesPop08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Majestic from what I can recall- You think it's better than say Johnny Depp's performance really?

Really, the only scenes I ever really repeated were Davy Jones' first scene and playing the organ.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 01:29 PM
VioletEyesPop08 is currently offline Click here to Send VioletEyesPop08 a Private Message Find more posts by VioletEyesPop08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Certainly one of the more artistic sequences, queeq. It makes you wonder if we would have had a completely different movie on our hands if it was all filmed in a more loose, artistic style.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 01:38 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VioletEyesPop08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Keira Knightley basically made the show, like, already.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 03:17 PM
VioletEyesPop08 is currently offline Click here to Send VioletEyesPop08 a Private Message Find more posts by VioletEyesPop08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote