KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Tolkien estate raises possible legal challenge to Hobbit film

Tolkien estate raises possible legal challenge to Hobbit film
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Tolkien estate raises possible legal challenge to Hobbit film

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4399461a1860.html

Summary a la Wiki:

The Tolkien Estate filed a lawsuit against New Line on February 11, 2008, for violating Tolkien's original deal with Saul Zaentz that that they would earn 7.5% of the gross from a film adaptation. The Estate is seeking compensation of $150 million, because they were only paid $62,500 before production of the trilogy began. A court order was also filed as well that would allow the Tolkien Trust to terminate any rights to future films.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 12:19 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

This is not looking good it will take forever for the Hobbit to come out

Old Post Feb 13th, 2008 01:57 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BetrayedUnicorn
...its science,dear

ugh. I was really looking forward to a hobbit movie. Damn you capitalism and your greed,Damn you!

-Saint Nicholas-

Old Post Apr 29th, 2008 08:24 PM
BetrayedUnicorn is currently offline Click here to Send BetrayedUnicorn a Private Message Find more posts by BetrayedUnicorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

It's not really "greed," at least not in my eyes. If their allegations are true, they were completely f*cked over for a rather large sum of money. I think just about anyone would do the same, if they had the chance or the motivation.

Regarding the ban on future films, that certainly derives from the supposed cheating they suffered, but it also likely has something to do with the whisperings of more than one prequel film to the LotR Trilogy - apocryphal stories, so I've heard, which would (in my opinion) do little besides retarding the series' literary merit further - or, I'd say, any merit the films had entirely.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 12:15 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote