KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » POTC: 1920s style

POTC: 1920s style
Started by: willofthewisp

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I told Kate she could start it off, so once a thread gets started, the fun starts again. She posted it on fanfiction, so leave reviews!

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 02:55 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
savvysparrowluv
Queen of the Night

GAH!
*runs over to review*

EDIT: Do you want me to pimp this on my LJ and a few communities for you? Its a fantastic read and I'm sure tons of people would enjoy it smile smile

Last edited by savvysparrowluv on Feb 28th, 2008 at 03:06 PM

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 03:03 PM
savvysparrowluv is currently offline Click here to Send savvysparrowluv a Private Message Find more posts by savvysparrowluv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Pimp wherever you want to pimp!

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 03:24 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
savvysparrowluv
Queen of the Night

Pimped it at my personal LJ, I'll post it other places later wink

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 03:34 PM
savvysparrowluv is currently offline Click here to Send savvysparrowluv a Private Message Find more posts by savvysparrowluv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

I love it so much I'm actually going to pimp it on my own fics! People will adore this.
I'm excited that there is going to be a DMC thread too!

Freedom...

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 03:34 PM
tee_pirategirl is currently offline Click here to Send tee_pirategirl a Private Message Find more posts by tee_pirategirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

i put ch 2 up

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 02:45 AM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

You're the best.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 02:07 PM
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

Agreeing with willo

Freedom...

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 02:56 PM
tee_pirategirl is currently offline Click here to Send tee_pirategirl a Private Message Find more posts by tee_pirategirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

3rd chapter up. where are the reviews? apparently people on ff only review to the tune of sparrabeth...

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2008 06:10 AM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I know. I saw the one that requested sparrabeth. I wonder if that means they won't continue? Don't they know it's coming?

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2008 06:42 PM
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

Lol. Probably not...in my days in ff.net I've discovered that you get better reviews if you mention the shipping in your summary. Imagine flipping through fics and if u see "with splashes of JE (or even WE)" you will definitely read it.

Meanwhile I will pimp it on my other fics and plus I know a lot of people on other sites who read the first chapter but couldn't review...is the anonymous review thing disabled or something?

Freedom...

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2008 07:58 PM
katelovespirate

i fixed the anonymous review thing. and part 4 is up--- one more part to go, and then we'll really have to get in gear on dmc. smile

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 02:10 AM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Kate, we have a thread of it started, but we need you because I think tee and I are a bit stumped.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 02:24 AM
katelovespirate

here's my question. were submarines invented in the 20s?

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 02:29 AM
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

Hmmmmmmm...I see where you're going with this kate. Interesting question...

We need u...we're totally stumped *runs off to see about the yellow submarine*

Freedom...

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 10:00 AM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Ah, I know where you're going with this, Kate. And because I'm so nice, I'm going to find out for you.

The first submersible with reliable information on its construction was built in 1620 by Cornelius Jacobszoon Drebbel, a Dutchman in the service of James I of England. It was created to the standards of the design outlined by English mathematician William Bourne. It was propelled by means of oars. The precise nature of the submarine type is a matter of some controversy; some claim that it was merely a bell towed by a boat. Two improved types were tested in the Thames between 1620 and 1624. In 2002 a two-man version of Drebbel's design was built for the BBC TV programme Building the Impossible by Mark Edwards, and successfully rowed under water at Dorney Lake, Eton.

Though the first submersible vehicles were tools for exploring under water, it did not take long for inventors to recognize their military potential. The strategic advantages of submarines were set out by Bishop John Wilkins of Chester, England, in Mathematicall Magick in 1648.

Tis private: a man may thus go to any coast in the world invisibly, without discovery or prevented in his journey.
Tis safe, from the uncertainty of Tides, and the violence of Tempests, which do never move the sea above five or six paces deep. From Pirates and Robbers which do so infest other voyages; from ice and great frost, which do so much endanger the passages towards the Poles.
It may be of great advantages against a Navy of enemies, who by this may be undermined in the water and blown up.
It may be of special use for the relief of any place besieged by water, to convey unto them invisible supplies; and so likewise for the surprisal of any place that is accessible by water.
It may be of unspeakable benefit for submarine experiments.

[edit] The first military submarines
The first military submarine was Turtle (1775), a hand-powered egg-shaped device designed by the American David Bushnell, to accommodate a single man. It was the first verified submarine capable of independent underwater operation and movement, and the first to use screws for propulsion. During the American Revolutionary War, Turtle (operated by Sgt. Ezra Lee, Continental Army) tried and failed to sink a British warship, HMS Eagle (flagship of the blockaders) in New York harbor on September 7, 1776.

The Nautilus (1800)In 1800, France built a human-powered submarine designed by Robert Fulton, the Nautilus. The French eventually gave up with the experiment in 1804, as did the British when they later considered Fulton's submarine design.

During the War of 1812, in 1814, Silas Halsey lost his life while using a submarine in an unsuccessful attack on a British warship stationed in New London harbor.

In 1851, a Bavarian artillery corporal, Wilhelm Bauer, took a submarine designed by him called the Brandtaucher (incendiary-diver) to sea in Kiel Harbour. This submarine was built by August Howaldt and powered by a treadwheel. It sank but the crew of 3 managed to escape. The submarine was raised in 1887 and is on display in a museum in Dresden.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 01:41 PM
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

YAY! The JE submarine plot is back in business...I'm excited

Freedom...

Old Post Mar 4th, 2008 06:55 PM