KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Are dvd's a wast of money?

Are dvd's a wast of money?
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
captainwesker
We're not alone.

Personally I don't think it's a waste of money if you are an avid film collector, or a supporter of the person that directed the movie. But with the internet now, majority of people that I know and are movie lovers, just pirate the movie. :/

At one point, DVDs will be obsolete with Netflix and Online streaming of films we have now.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 12:13 AM
captainwesker is currently offline Click here to Send captainwesker a Private Message Find more posts by captainwesker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

^ Not for a long time. Streaming, here anyway on our rental sites, is below par quality.

Last edited by MildPossession on Feb 12th, 2011 at 03:45 PM

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 03:43 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

I think it is going to be a long time before we have the connection speeds needed to stream blu ray quality movies in the UK.

Even streaming programs on things like the BBC's iplayer is ridiculously frustrating.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2011 08:59 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rotiart
Stan Lee Stole my name

with data caps at 150 and 250 gb per month... and movies ranging from 700 mb to 9 gb... if you were wanting to watch seasons of a tv show or movie online while streaming.. your internet provide could end up preventing that idea...
But anyways.. i think if you got the money for it blu ray is the way to go. 720p on a 42 inch... but if you got it 1080p on anything higher. drool... i own a 46 but my friend has a 65! and you can so tell the difference between dvd and bluray...

also when you own your own disc.. assuming you down scratch it... you don't worry about buffering issues... just scratches... it makes for an enjoyable sit down and watch feeling.

"There is no writer to purposely ignore a character's natural ability just because it suits the story."
"in some cases because the writer knows that Character A will dominate Character B easily and refuses to allow this to happen for the sake of the story."

Old Post May 26th, 2011 07:49 AM
rotiart is currently offline Click here to Send rotiart a Private Message Find more posts by rotiart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dominic EX2

Re: Are dvd's a wast of money?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coolmovies
Are dvds a wast of money ?? Yes they are cheap but 99% off the time they are on the book shelf.

Well, not really. It's quite enjoyable to watch new DVDs every now and then to relax a bit.
Besides, if you are a collector, nothing is a waste of money.

It's alot a waste of money if you buy pirated DVDs.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2011 01:17 PM
Dominic EX2 is currently offline Click here to Send Dominic EX2 a Private Message Find more posts by Dominic EX2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Not always. I got the pirate one of "Harry Potter and the Deathy Hallows part one" and it was perfect nothing wrong with it at all. I also got it free from a good friend of mine.

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2011 02:51 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spike2011
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hello!!! everybody!

Old Post Aug 7th, 2011 03:17 AM
spike2011 is currently offline Click here to Send spike2011 a Private Message Find more posts by spike2011 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

DVD sales might pick up since most video stores are closing down. Netflix is neat...but owning a favorite movie is better....at least for me.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2011 12:57 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Originally posted by rotiart
also when you own your own disc.. assuming you down scratch it... you don't worry about buffering issues... just scratches... it makes for an enjoyable sit down and watch feeling.

With slow Internet connections, buffering is a pain. I don't dare try sites like Hulu. It takes me an hour to watch a 22-minute episode (might be exaggerating but you get my point.

It's just as well because I like owning a movie on a disc. I take my favorite movies off the shelf, put them in the player, and watch with ease.

Also, if a site goes down, a company goes under, etc., my disc still works with my player. The only thing I have to rely on is the power company to keep pumping the electricity.

I used to work at a video store and I have to say that I can't picture that the majority of people give a damn about the backs of discs. Brand new movies would get rented and returned a week later with scratches all over them. I hope they take care of their own discs better than they do rentals, but I'm not so sure. For those people, streaming is probably the better way to go since the concept of not scratching a disc is foreign to them.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2011 02:34 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Riot-Gear

Of course they are VHS tapes are so much cheaper.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2011 12:07 AM
Riot-Gear is currently offline Click here to Send Riot-Gear a Private Message Find more posts by Riot-Gear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Riot-Gear

Originally posted by maximus395
Its not illegal yet, torrenting that is, but there's a big court case that will put a firewall on the whole of the internet if the corps win it. There will be black list sites, that offer any kind of download or free viewing and stuff of that nature...and there will be a white list of sites, like MSN, Yahoo, crap like that.

But by no means is it illegal to torrent or download movies, if it was you wouldn't be able to find the site on any search engine, especially Google.

Um unless you work for the company, own the rights to the movie etc. Duplicating a movie in whole or in part is illegal. You know copyright laws and all that jazz. Just read the FBI warning.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2011 12:11 AM
Riot-Gear is currently offline Click here to Send Riot-Gear a Private Message Find more posts by Riot-Gear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

I don't think that DVD's are a waste of money. They are great for decoration, and good conversation pieces, also if you have company over, and have a certain movie that they may have never saw, or loved a particular movie that you have you can indulge them.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2011 07:44 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Agent
Screen Writer

Listen you bloody fools, you've got to be a moron to stream a whole movie and wait on the buffer time.Torrent's are the way of the future, I don't care what anyone says it is incredibly easy, all over the internet a child could do it.

But to answer you're question OP, no dvd's are not a waste of money, blank dvd's that is.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2011 10:08 PM
Stealth Agent is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Agent a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Agent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

Originally posted by roughrider
I buy DVDs for both reasons. Only once, maybe twice have I bought something then regretted it.
People need to remember what it was like to be a serious movie fan in the late 1980's to mid-90's. My big demand was trying to see movies letter-boxed, once I realized how pan-and-scan VHS was butchering the picture. The only other alternative was Laserdiscs, which were letter-boxed and had stunning picture quality compared to VHS; I managed to get a player at low cost. But they were so expensive I never owned more than a dozen of them. $40 Canadian was a good deal; $70-90 dollars was the norm. And, you had to get up and turn the side over because they could only get 60 minutes maximum a side. So to get a format that was smaller & more compact, had the picture quality of Laserdiscs with VHS prices, it was a godsend.
Right now, it's Blu-ray that is functioning as the specialty format that Laserdiscs once were. but that for picture quality just A LITTLE BIT BETTER? In these tighter financial times, that's still what it is. DVD, computers and video game systems have the perfect convergence with the disc format.

This.

While it's true that tons of movies can be accessed by the internet, I find there are plenty of times I don't have internet access, or don't want to watch a movie on the computer screen.

Blue Rays... Honestly I don't get it. I don't. Other than having some cool and interactive capabilities and generally getting the better end of the deal with extras anymore I don't see the point of blue ray really.... I mean honestly how good can picture quality actually BE? And.... at the end of the day do I really care? Better quality than a used vhs with flags running up and down the screen is one thing. Better quality than a dvd transfer? At some point I don't even really notice unless I'm LOOKING FOR IT, and if I'm so intent on the quality of the picture TO THAT DEGREE, I'm guessing it probably isn't the most engaging movie in the first place.

DVDs are as much a waste of money as any collection. It just comes down to how worthwhile your collecting is and what it means to you. Hell there are still plenty of VHS collectors out there. I wouldn't call that a waste unless they were actually looking for the best quality copy of those movies.

If we're talking about the most effecient least expensive way to watch movies, then it just comes down to whether or not you have internet access.

For me at least, DVDs are the cheapest way to get a great quality movie that I can have on hand anytime I chose to watch it. I like watching movies so it isn't a waste for me personally and I don't like the time it takes to search for/stream/download movies (or the risk for that matter, if you're not dodging the govt then you're dodging viruses etc etc) and a good percentage of the time movies on the internet are of poor quality anyway. DVDs are just super convenient in too many ways for a movie watcher with not-so-deep-pockets to ignore.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2011 08:47 PM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hulkbuster1

Originally posted by Stoic
I don't think that DVD's are a waste of money. They are great for decoration, and good conversation pieces, also if you have company over, and have a certain movie that they may have never saw, or loved a particular movie that you have you can indulge them.

The only way to figure if dvds are a waste of money is by outweighing the costs and return in investments. I own dvds and for me its hard keeping them in top conditions:
1.they scratch easily(i hate wasting money on plastic coverings)
2. even when stored i notice they get scratches or develop some white flimy mold like substance on them.( due to condensation maybe?
3. how long can dvds last anyways?
4.dvd players last up to 20 yrs tops...even if your dvds are great will they still make dvd players after dvds die out?
5. dvds I heard quickly succumb to oxidation especially around the inner circle.

Old Post May 24th, 2012 04:22 AM
Hulkbuster1 is currently offline Click here to Send Hulkbuster1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hulkbuster1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I personally don't buy a lot of movies these days, whether it's on dvd or a blu-ray format. I only own a handful of personal favourites that are sentimental to me.

If I'm in the mood for a particular film, I'll go & rent it. Whereas if I did own that movie, I find myself never in the mood to watch it.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2012 06:54 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

I'll purchase the Blu-Rays to films if they deserve my money so I can support the industry.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2012 04:35 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Re: Are dvd's a wast of money?

Originally posted by coolmovies
Are dvds a wast of money ?? Yes they are cheap but 99% off the time they are on the book shelf.

I'd argue: Yes.

You can easily purchase a terabyte external hard drive for under a hundred bucks and fit hundreds of HD quality movies on there. Movies that you can watch at any time, download for free, and that doesn't take any space on your shelf.

Piracy is the reverse of playing the lottery for a billion dollars.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2012 05:01 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Re: Re: Are dvd's a wast of money?

Originally posted by Astner
I'd argue: Yes.

You can easily purchase a terabyte external hard drive for under a hundred bucks and fit hundreds of HD quality movies on there. Movies that you can watch at any time, download for free, and that doesn't take any space on your shelf.

The thing is, it really depends on what country you're from & the availability of the internet, much less broadband speed....

I mean I've been downloading the entire 2nd season of "Games Of Thrones" for free but it's so far costing me about $60 of internet time.

If I waited another month or two, I could've bought the entire season cheaper than that.

The other factor too is that I personally like all the behind-the-scenes bonus features & that's something you don't get with downloads.

Old Post Jun 9th, 2012 06:18 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Re: Re: Re: Are dvd's a wast of money?

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
The thing is, it really depends on what country you're from & the availability of the internet, much less broadband speed....

I mean I've been downloading the entire 2nd season of "Games Of Thrones" for free but it's so far costing me about $60 of internet time.

If I waited another month or two, I could've bought the entire season cheaper than that.

The other factor too is that I personally like all the behind-the-scenes bonus features & that's something you don't get with downloads.

There's a second season of Game of thrones? Well to be fair they didn't conclude the first novel so I suppose that makes sense. Anyway, when I downloaded the first season of Game of thrones I downloaded it on an episode to episode basis since they were released weekly, and it took me around 20 minutes to download an episode, and I pay monthly for my connection. So I usually jumped in the shower while I torrented the episodes. So there wasn't really any loss to speak of.

But I suppose you're right. If you pay for each downloaded gigabyte it might end up costing you more than the box set itself.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2012 01:48 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote