KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Are dvd's a wast of money?

Are dvd's a wast of money?
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are dvd's a wast of money?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astner
There's a second season of Game of thrones? Well to be fair they didn't conclude the first novel so I suppose that makes sense. Anyway, when I downloaded the first season of Game of thrones I downloaded it on an episode to episode basis since they were released weekly, and it took me around 20 minutes to download an episode, and I pay monthly for my connection. So I usually jumped in the shower while I torrented the episodes. So there wasn't really any loss to speak of.

But I suppose you're right. If you pay for each downloaded gigabyte it might end up costing you more than the box set itself.

Yup, Season 2 is readily available to download now.
Like I mentioned it really depends on what country you're from vs broadband speed & costs of internet connection.
When I visited California nearly 10 years ago, I was surprised at how relaxed everyone was with their broadband, leaving their comp connected to the internet 24/7...whilst back in Australia, we were still on dial-up & strictly disconnected from the net if we weren't using it because of the costs.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2012 06:50 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Re: Re: Are dvd's a wast of money?

Originally posted by Astner
I'd argue: Yes.

You can easily purchase a terabyte external hard drive for under a hundred bucks and fit hundreds of HD quality movies on there. Movies that you can watch at any time, download for free, and that doesn't take any space on your shelf.

This is an interesting argument, why not an external hard drive? I mean, even if you pay for the movies there is no point in having the physical discs around. Which is kind of a book vs e-book argument too, except the book has more appealing features than the DVD. I assume you may not want to have your hard-drive everywhere, nor a computer, so portability can be an issue, but it's actually very minimal. The biggest value must be collectability, having a physical representation of what you own.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 10:47 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
josephchrter

It is not a waste of money to buy dvd, they are good for back up but we need to give them an extra good care as once it gets damages, it would be useless. I usually buy dvd to watch movie or to burn and save files, but at this moment, I rely on streaming sites and some flash disk to save files.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2013 03:08 PM
josephchrter is currently offline Click here to Send josephchrter a Private Message Find more posts by josephchrter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
drkwrld
Restricted

Account Restricted

you can get cheap dvd collections of craigslist.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2013 11:46 AM
drkwrld is currently offline Click here to Send drkwrld a Private Message Find more posts by drkwrld Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
heathjack

now most dvds are just five to 10 bucks now I been buying more blu rays I still buy dvds.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2013 06:10 PM
heathjack is currently offline Click here to Send heathjack a Private Message Find more posts by heathjack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MicCheck
Restricted

Account Restricted

Netflix is the way to go, most movies suck now adays

Old Post Apr 4th, 2014 01:38 AM
MicCheck is currently offline Click here to Send MicCheck a Private Message Find more posts by MicCheck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marina77787

I have all DVD-s of Rocky and I must say, I do not regret buying those. I love that series and it's really fun to watch it every once in a while. smile

Old Post May 23rd, 2014 01:55 PM
marina77787 is currently offline Click here to Send marina77787 a Private Message Find more posts by marina77787 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Waste of money? I dont think so.
In a way, i see it like people who prefer vinyl over CDs. Having a solid DVD in my hands makes the movie more "real" to me.

Old Post May 31st, 2014 08:11 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
catholicity

HP driver software download

Old Post Apr 28th, 2019 06:15 AM
catholicity is currently offline Click here to Send catholicity a Private Message Find more posts by catholicity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Well many years have passed since this thread was made.

At this point I think DVDs are a bit dated in many cases, similar to VHS. I've put a DVD or two on a big screen HD tv and it tends to look like shit blown up.

So I have to have at least Blu-ray quality for the most part.

There are some exceptions. For example I still prefer the DVD versions for The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, etc (Kubrick's stuff) because they changed the aspect ratio for the blu-rays which bothers me.

But yeah, blu-ray or 4k all the way. thumb up

Old Post May 9th, 2019 05:42 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

If I have a choice I'm going to pick Blu-Ray every time. If I have to pick a DVD I will though, I like having physical media.

The likelihood of my DVD breaking is probably less likely then some hard drive failing on me one day.

DVD, blu-ray's, if taken care of and kept immaculate, can last you decades and decades (and decades). At some point, that hard drive is gonna screw up, then what will you do? You're screwed out of countless movies. I've seen DVD's stand the test of time vs VHS tapes. But any physical media can last a very long time if taken care of. Hell most laptops have a tendency to screw up in under 10 years.

Streaming sucks unless you have absolutely no other choice.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post May 23rd, 2019 04:54 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Laptops tend to die pretty quick, yeah.

Old Post May 24th, 2019 08:07 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Jmanghan
If I have a choice I'm going to pick Blu-Ray every time. If I have to pick a DVD I will though, I like having physical media.

The likelihood of my DVD breaking is probably less likely then some hard drive failing on me one day.

DVD, blu-ray's, if taken care of and kept immaculate, can last you decades and decades (and decades). At some point, that hard drive is gonna screw up, then what will you do? You're screwed out of countless movies. I've seen DVD's stand the test of time vs VHS tapes. But any physical media can last a very long time if taken care of. Hell most laptops have a tendency to screw up in under 10 years.

Streaming sucks unless you have absolutely no other choice.

Disagree, friendo

I have around 1850ish movies on my computer now and I still have my old collection of (mostly burned) DVDs in one of my closets, forget how many, but safe to say around 1600ish, they're in those large sleeve binders.

While I do run the risk of losing everything in one HD failure, the ease of easily streaming any of those films through Plex whenever I want at a couple clicks of the remote is vastly superior than going to the DVDs. Vast-LEE.

I lower the risk of losing everything by keeping an identical media library on my friend's computer. If either of ours crashes and burns, we have another copy to rebuild from.

Clinging onto DVDs is futile; they're not going away tomorrow but digital and streaming is the future.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 24th, 2019 08:48 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you can afford to pay the little bit of extra money for a blu-ray then I see no reason to buy a dvd instead. The improved sound clarity and picture sharpness that blu-ray gives compared to dvd's is much more significant than the few extra dollars you might have to pay for the blu-ray. Still buy standard dvd's occasionally but usually only when blu-ray isn't available for a title I really like; like the Highlander series of movies, for example. I've looked just about everywhere to get that film series on blu-ray and have yet to find it anywhere.

I also tend to much prefer both blu-ray and dvd's over streaming as well though I don't mind DL'ing a movie to my PS3 on occasion. It is nice to be able to watch a movie thru my PS3 without having to get up and switch out whatever game I had inside for a movie disc.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Last edited by eThneoLgrRnae on Jun 1st, 2019 at 06:01 PM

Old Post Jun 1st, 2019 05:53 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
XLR87T3

You're a waste of money

Old Post Jun 5th, 2019 12:57 AM
XLR87T3 is currently offline Click here to Send XLR87T3 a Private Message Find more posts by XLR87T3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote