KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Blu Ray wins?!

Blu Ray wins?!
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
The patent situation on Blu-ray is a nightmare- this article from a year ago:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Signif...ss-Release.html

It's definitely not a siatuation where Sony can just block it

Nah, Microsoft will just pay up. Even before this news they were talking of a blu-ray add on for the 360.

yeah you're probably right...when i think back on the format wars of old its not like a single format was detrimental to competition

VHS v Betamax
CD v minidisc

only difference is Sony has actually won one for a change...haha

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 12:59 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Not the format I was going for but oh well, at least the war's over.

I don't plan to upgrade any time soon. I have 500+ movies on DVD and am very content with them.

DVD became the norm over VHS not only because of quality, but because of format as well. Discs are far superior to tapes and DVD added movie essentials such as commentaries and special features. That's why VHS is dead, the majority of the tapes just had the [full screen] movie and nothing else.

Blu Ray, I ask, so what? The picture is a tad sharper. You can access menus while watching the movie (which I still haven't understood why I'd want to do that). You get video commentaries (which to my understanding is the same thing as the Men in Black commentary). It's not worth the upgrade to me.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 05:09 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by queeq
REally? Wow, they're fast. I guess they saw this coming.

I don't get it though... why would they change the 360 games to blue ray? I mean 360 games can only be played on a 360. When a new version of X-Box comes out, they can turn to BluRay.

I only wonder now, if BluRay sales will begin to gain. I am wondering when I should switch.

They won't change the games; 360 games are all standard DVD format.

But they released an HD-DVD add on for the console (for films) which is obviously now rather defunct. But in January they were already talking about a release of a bu-ray add on for the same purpose.

And you are right, Wolfie, there is no massively pressing reason until prices come down, and even then only if you are buying anyway, at which point you may as well buy the new tech.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 03:26 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It only gets interesting when you get some HUGE screen. Then you will see the difference betweeen HD and regular DVD... But whose wife will let a guy own a HUGE SCREEN? wink

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 06:32 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

technology is moving too fast to keep up now as it is...companies are already looking at holographic data storage, organic transistors, protein coated discs which could allow a dvd size disc to store terabytes of information...of course all this will get kept back to ensure the profits are made before releasing the new technologies to the average punter

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 10:40 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'm not too fond of upgrading to Blu-ray...heck! I might not even do it any time this year or next or even the NEXT.

I spend too much time and money tracking down my favorite Special Editions, Limited Editions, and Rare Editions for 5 years.

See, there was never such thing as Collectors editions VHS so there was not hard to let go of some of the tapes. With DVD is an entire different case.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 10:41 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

There are too many ujustified Collector's Editions, if you ask me. I have some 500+ DVD's... but sometimes I feel really conned about these so-called SE's with its lame suck-up documentaries. The number of really really worthwhile editions are maybe 5 or 6.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 10:50 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Nu-uh! For Collector Editions geeks like me...there are never enough. Also there are genres that haven't gotten much of the DVD treatment here in the states.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 11:05 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Impediment
I'll eventually upgrade to a LCD screen, but I refuse to change formats, seeing as how I have 500+ DVDs. I agree with y'all that DVD is shatrp enough for me.

You have as many DVD's as I do. Although I friend of mine has the Blu-Ray, I was foolish enough to buy a HD DVD. Guess I have to sell it on eBay now.. I also believe that regular DVD's are just as sharp and will around for a very long time.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Feb 21st, 2008 06:31 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I reallyw onder what way it will go.

For one film I'd like to switch to BluRay: Blader Runner Final Cut.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2008 08:58 AM
coolmovies

Lotr EE is all am getting on blue ray

Old Post Feb 21st, 2008 08:42 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

EE?

But yeah, that's great stuff too.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2008 09:19 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

extened edition?

Old Post Feb 21st, 2008 10:19 PM
queeq
Chaos

Ah right... I have those.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2008 07:56 AM
coolmovies

so will they stop making HD disks if blue ray wins ?? I cant wait any longer

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2008 02:51 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Re: Blu Ray wins?!

Toshiba gave up on HD-DVD... Looks like Blu-Ray won. Good or bad news?

Could this be the end of the 360?

I don't think it can, but can someone put my fears to rest please.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2008 06:31 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rajendra
just hanging around

Re: Blu Ray wins?!

Toshiba gave up on HD-DVD... Looks like Blu-Ray won. Good or bad news?

it was a good news!as I have tried and tested bluray is better than HD dvd.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2008 07:00 PM
Rajendra is currently offline Click here to Send Rajendra a Private Message Find more posts by Rajendra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

In what way?

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2008 10:04 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

i think blu-ray holds more information...off the top of my head anyway...might be wrong...cant be arsed checking

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2008 11:31 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by jaden101
i think blu-ray holds more information...off the top of my head anyway...might be wrong...cant be arsed checking

15 GB for single layer HD-DVD and 30 GB for dual layer HD-DVD

25 for single layer Blu-ray disc and 50 for a dual layer Blu-ray disc.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2008 08:58 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote