KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Blu Ray wins?!

Blu Ray wins?!
Started by: queeq

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Yeah, that wasn't much news. I have no idea how the performances are compared to each other though.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2008 02:57 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Re: Re: Blu Ray wins?!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Could this be the end of the 360?

I don't think it can, but can someone put my fears to rest please.

As noted above... no, not really. The 360 wasn't actually invested in HD-DVD, which was smart in retrospect.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2008 05:35 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Very. Saved their butts.

BluRay was a more safe bet. It's been in broad use in the professional video and broadcast market for years now. It's called XD-CAM there, but they use BluRay discs.

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2008 07:08 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I believe Microsoft's view was that HD-DVD was more computer friendly and hence the way to go.

Wrong, of course, but they did at least have a reason.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2008 07:45 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Why was it supposed to be more computerfriendly then?

Old Post Feb 23rd, 2008 07:57 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I don't know the technical specifics I am afraid, though here is an early articlw relating to their original decision- interesting article in retrospect.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazin...42/b3955113.htm

BtVS

Old Post Feb 25th, 2008 08:32 AM
queeq
Chaos

Interesting indeed. But still unclear what the difference is apart from the layering and storage capacity.

Sony did have an advantage having it up and running for the professional broadcast market, I think. They were already making and selling it. Thus proving it's good.

Ah well... so be it.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2008 08:37 AM
sweersa

Blu-Ray at least to my knowledge is full 1080 HD. If you ever watch a regular DVD on an HD display and then watch something in full HD, either via physical media or via computer, the difference is VERY obvious.

I have a widescreen 22 inch LCD monitor, the resolution is 1680 x 1050, so it is very close to 1080. I downloaded an HDTV rip of Revenge of the Sith in 720p (HD but not full HD) and the picture quality really has an awesome wow factor compared to DVD quality and you feel more like you are in the movie and can see things that were not as sharp or blurry before (DVD) that are now crisp and beautiful.

DVD will not last forever, something better always takes a while to set in, and when it does, something new and better is always on the horizon.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2008 09:57 PM
sweersa is currently offline Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Oh, er, whilst this thread has been bumped- latest vibe from Microsoft is that they probably will not bother with Blu-ray on the 360 after all, relying on digital downloads instead.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2008 12:22 AM
sweersa

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Oh, er, whilst this thread has been bumped- latest vibe from Microsoft is that they probably will not bother with Blu-ray on the 360 after all, relying on digital downloads instead.

I think they would feel embarrassed if they started to ship 360's with Blu-ray. Maybe they will hold such a format back until they release their next major console.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2008 12:35 AM
sweersa is currently offline Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

As I have pointed out elsewhere, no need to be any more embarrassed using blu-ray than using DVD.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2008 11:39 AM
coolmovies

If blue ray have won why are HD still bringing out movies ?? what will happen to movies which are allready out on HD ?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2008 06:27 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

I don't believe the makers of HDDVD will continue to make newer HDDVD's, and film production companies are not going to release their movie on that now obsolete format. Any HDDVD you see in a store today is going to be the last, I am sure a lot exist on store shelves and retailers want them gone ASAP.

Once blu-Ray becomes more the norm I can imagine movies that were only offered on HDDVD before will be sold on blu-Ray discs.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 12:23 AM
coolmovies

I hope the price comes down now that the format war is over. They are very slow in bringing out Bray ray movies only per 50 year

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 11:53 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

I don't think Blu Ray will last very long simply because digital downloads are becoming so popular.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 03:13 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup. PLus I have to see how they convice people they should buy Blu-Ray instead of the much cheaper DVD... You'd still have to have a new player AND a new TV to enjoy it...

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 10:08 PM
sweersa

Originally posted by queeq
Yup. PLus I have to see how they convice people they should buy Blu-Ray instead of the much cheaper DVD... You'd still have to have a new player AND a new TV to enjoy it...

A lot of people have HDTV sets now. The only issue is having an HD source. Personally, we have an HDTV but no HD source yet, HD cable is expensive and as some of you have pointed out, Blu-ray and the devices required to play Blu-ray discs are expensive as they are somewhat new. I remember a couple years ago Blu-ray players were around a grand, then they went down to 600 dollars, I believe at one point buying a PS3 would be cheaper than a blu-ray player, and thats funny because the PS3 can play Blu-rays discs.

Like all other newer formats, in time the prices will go down and it should become standard eventually. It may not be Blu-ray but something HD or better will eventually emerge as the standard. DVD's will soon be like old VHS tapes, they will eventually be phased out when the market and consumers are ready.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2008 03:02 AM
queeq
Chaos

Well, I'm a little sceptic there. Because DVD's had very clear advantages over VHS. The quality, but also menus and extra's. And easy accessability.

Penetration of HD tv sets still isn't very high.. I know regular wide screen tv penetration is somewhere between 30-40% i.e. 30-40% of all tv owners watch a wide screen tv... That's not all HD.... So that's not a lot... People have to SEE the advantages of Blu-Ray en masse... and that's a little hard to explain when most people think DVD's fine.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2008 10:27 AM
coolmovies

To get the best out of HD you need a tv that is 40'' or 50''.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2008 12:53 PM
sweersa

Originally posted by coolmovies
To get the best out of HD you need a tv that is 40'' or 50''.

Why is that? Standard Full HD is 1920 by 1080. My 22 inch LCD monitor can almost display that. (1680 x 1050)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i

The above link has some great information and a nice graphic to explain standard and HD resolutions.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2008 07:24 PM