KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » The John 3:16 & 4:16 flaw?

The John 3:16 & 4:16 flaw?
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (41): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The John 3:16 & 4:16 flaw?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tim Rout
The Bible makes it clear that not all who say "Hi, I'm a Christian" are telling the truth [Matthew 13:36-43]. Things like believing in only one God, or believing that Jesus is God the Son, are essential to authentic Christian theology. Those who believe in multiple gods, or think that Jesus was merely mortal, might be very religious, but they are not biblical Christians.

So, a true Christian is a biblical Christians? Which bible? Or are there different type of True Christians, depending on their bible?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 01:42 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tim Rout

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The John 3:16 & 4:16 flaw?

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
So, a true Christian is a biblical Christians? Which bible? Or are there different type of True Christians, depending on their bible?

I'm not sure how to say it any more clearly, my friend. There is only one Bible. It was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Unfortunately, for those of us who speak other languages, the Bible has to be translated.

There are no perfect translations, though some are more faithful to the original languages than others. In order to avoid error and ensure that the intent of the original is preserved, I advise people to use multiple translations. Read a passage in several different versions to be sure you're grasping the full depth of meaning.

Any bilingual person who has tried to do some translation work, knows how difficult it is to render one language into another. The best translators remember to translate the meaning of words, even if one has to reconstruct sentences to fit the grammar of the receptacle language. Therefore, while a given translation of the Bible might do a good job of rendering the meaning of the original (which is the important part), few evangelicals would presume to call any translation verbally inspired.

When evangelical Christians speak of "the Bible", we are referring to the 66 books of the historic Christian canon (39 Old Testament, 27 New Testament). We do not include either the apocrypha or the pseudoepigrapha.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 02:06 AM
Tim Rout is currently offline Click here to Send Tim Rout a Private Message Find more posts by Tim Rout Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

All men are dead in their sin, and all men are condemned to the second death. However, I believe that those who have not heard the Gospel but have served their Creator under different names (i.e., pagan religions) and who have lived a life according to the Law written upon their hearts (i.e., lived morally) will not descend to the depths of hell because they have not known God's will. However, they cannot enter the kingdom of God because they do not have Christ. Therefore, they will live somewhere in-between, perhaps like the Asphodel Meadows.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 02:20 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tim Rout

Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
All men are dead in their sin, and all men are condemned to the second death. However, I believe that those who have not heard the Gospel but have served their Creator under different names (i.e., pagan religions) and who have lived a life according to the Law written upon their hearts (i.e., lived morally) will not descend to the depths of hell because they have not known God's will. However, they cannot enter the kingdom of God because they do not have Christ. Therefore, they will live somewhere in-between, perhaps like the Asphodel Meadows.

Do you have some biblical basis for belief in Greek mythology, or are you just speculating?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 02:27 AM
Tim Rout is currently offline Click here to Send Tim Rout a Private Message Find more posts by Tim Rout Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Do you have some biblical basis for belief in Greek mythology, or are you just speculating?

Those are his OWN personal beliefs.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 02:30 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The John 3:16 & 4:16 flaw?

I'm not sure how to say it any more clearly, my friend. There is only one Bible. It was originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. Unfortunately, for those of us who speak other languages, the Bible has to be translated.

There are no perfect translations, though some are more faithful to the original languages than others. In order to avoid error and ensure that the intent of the original is preserved, I advise people to use multiple translations. Read a passage in several different versions to be sure you're grasping the full depth of meaning.

Any bilingual person who has tried to do some translation work, knows how difficult it is to render one language into another. The best translators remember to translate the meaning of words, even if one has to reconstruct sentences to fit the grammar of the receptacle language. Therefore, while a given translation of the Bible might do a good job of rendering the meaning of the original (which is the important part), few evangelicals would presume to call any translation verbally inspired.

When evangelical Christians speak of "the Bible", we are referring to the 66 books of the historic Christian canon (39 Old Testament, 27 New Testament). We do not include either the apocrypha or the pseudoepigrapha.

I know of at least 3 bible that all have different translations. Now they maybe very similar but they do not have the same books.

Ethiopian Orthodox Bible
Catholic Bible
King James Bible

And there are more...

The bible you are talking about is the King James Bible. So, you believe that Catholics and Ethiopian Christians are not true Christians?

Why are they not true Christians and you are?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 02:43 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tim Rout

Originally posted by dadudemon
Those are his OWN personal beliefs.

Good. As long as we're clear about that.

I should mention...there are some Christians who believe God will not punish those who have never heard of Jesus -- or will give them some opportunity to choose after death, but before judgment. While there is no biblical basis for such beliefs, I have heard them expressed by a few believers.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 02:45 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Good. As long as we're clear about that.

I should mention...there are some Christians who believe God will not punish those who have never heard of Jesus -- or will give them some opportunity to choose after death, but before judgment. While there is no biblical basis for such beliefs, I have heard them expressed by a few believers.

But do you believe that?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 02:47 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Something like the Asphodel Meadows. Comparison != believing in it, Marchello.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 02:54 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Something like the Asphodel Meadows. Comparison != believing in it, Marchello.

I believe that Tim Rout is not a sock. He just believes some of the same things as Marchello. I have been talking to him through pm's and Marchello would never reply to me.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 03:08 AM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

As for as the original question, in The Inferno, Dante "sees" the un-baptized infants and "noble pagans" in the uppermost level of hell, where they do not enjoy the blessings of heaven, but neither do they suffer. I find this to be the closest thing in the official Christian faith to what I used to believe, but I do not know where the divine comedy stands in relation to scripture.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 03:23 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Jbill311
As for as the original question, in The Inferno, Dante "sees" the un-baptized infants and "noble pagans" in the uppermost level of hell, where they do not enjoy the blessings of heaven, but neither do they suffer. I find this to be the closest thing in the official Christian faith to what I used to believe, but I do not know where the divine comedy stands in relation to scripture.

It doesn't stand anywhere in relation to scripture.

IIRC, Dante placed his first wife next to Jesus and Popes that he didn't like in the 7th layer of hell no expression

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 03:29 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tim Rout

But do you believe that?

I do not. As I mentioned earlier, one of my primary motivations for preaching the gospel is my sincere belief that others are doomed if I don't. I know a few Calvinists who'd think I'm nuts for saying that, but I believe God's sovereign grace covers both the outcome and the means.

Last edited by Tim Rout on Feb 24th, 2008 at 04:00 AM

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 03:50 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Arminianism for the win.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 04:38 AM
tsilamini

Originally posted by Jbill311

The unbaptized pagans, like Aristotle, were not technically in Hell, they were on a plain before the first layer, and Dante and Virgil had to pass through it on the way to Hell.

Also, iirc, they were constantly being bit by insects.

The Catholic Church banned the book for a long while, I don't think any major religious organization officially supports it, although it has been fundamental in setting the imagery of Hell in pretty much every branch of Christianity.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 04:44 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tim Rout

Arminianism for the win.

Actually, I am a Calvinist. I'm just accused of talking like an Arminian sometimes. smile

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 05:07 AM
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes, I realize you are a Calvinist. I am an Arminianist, however.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 05:11 AM
King Kandy

Re: Re: The John 3:16 & 4:16 flaw?

If God were fair, He would immediately throw every sinner into hell and be done with it. Judicial fairness demands that all offenders be equally punished in accordance with the law, and the law says all sinners must die [Genesis 2:17; Romans 6:23].

Sure sounds unfair to me.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 08:25 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

I believe that Tim Rout is not a sock. He just believes some of the same things as Marchello. I have been talking to him through pm's and Marchello would never reply to me.

It seems to me like he's an attempt of JIA to see if he can be "less annoying."

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 08:27 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tim Rout

Re: Re: Re: The John 3:16 & 4:16 flaw?

Originally posted by King Kandy
Sure sounds unfair to me.

Thankfully, God does not measure fairness by any standard but His own.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 02:52 PM