KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » the innuendo in POTC and interpretation

the innuendo in POTC and interpretation
Started by: willofthewisp

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Oh yes, back when Barbossa was really scary. He should have been nominated for an Oscar right alongside Johnny for COTBP.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 01:43 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VioletEyesPop08
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well.. my view of him completely changed when I found out he was born 1951 as opposed to 1940, (which was not for like the whole time (meaning we just moved etc. - brother sleeping on couch for a couple weeks, not fitting my TV in my room still today, not knowing where the DVDs are at first and from one point until a day or so ago, and so on, though,) since I was sure - I guessed Davy Jones right,) and then when the Pirates of the Caribbean fan site on Facebook posted bloopers. Barobossa would totally like excite me if I had to connect to him, you know? I have experience with that kind of thing, in my real life.

Barbossa is really quite appealing. Just mix in the right chemistry so it turns into something real. (Barb-o-Beth.)

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 02:03 PM
VioletEyesPop08 is currently offline Click here to Send VioletEyesPop08 a Private Message Find more posts by VioletEyesPop08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by willofthewisp
Oh yes, back when Barbossa was really scary. He should have been nominated for an Oscar right alongside Johnny for COTBP.

Very true. Teaming him up with the heroes almost ruins the first movie. He's on the good side and you find yourself thinking...Oh! THAT'S what scared me in the first movie? He seems like everyone's grandpa now!

He should have been nominated for an Oscar!!

Now that I think of it BTW. COTBP DID have it's dirty moments didn't it?

Freedom...

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 02:44 PM
tee_pirategirl is currently offline Click here to Send tee_pirategirl a Private Message Find more posts by tee_pirategirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VioletEyesPop08
Restricted

Account Restricted

f.y.i. he is an (the?) antagonist in CotBP - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector_Barbossa and does not exist in DMC.

Yes, I guess we get Barbossa to ourselves, mate.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 02:54 PM
VioletEyesPop08 is currently offline Click here to Send VioletEyesPop08 a Private Message Find more posts by VioletEyesPop08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Yeah, come to think of it, COTBP did have some dirty moments, and almost all of them can be contributed to the fact that Barbossa and his Black Pearl crew were "actual" pirates. They were probably closer to how pirates were in the real world than how things were in the other two films. They were scary, shadowy perveted creatures and I was scared right along with Elizabeth when she found out they also couldn't be killed.

It's fun to ponder how the journey to Singapore went for Barbossa, how he somehow got everyone to somewhat trust him and work under his captainship. What was it that made him all of a sudden so affectionate to Elizabeth and Will that he performed their wedding ceremony? How is Gibbs able to shake off his loyalty to Jack long enough to deal with Barbossa? So many questions.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 03:00 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VioletEyesPop08
Restricted

Account Restricted

-How people shake off things? I never need to seemingly shake anything off anything.

Old Post Feb 28th, 2008 03:05 PM
PirateDiva
So In LoVe WiTh JoHnnY!

Well I think the fact that Barbossa got a 2nd chance in life made him reevaluate cetain aspects in his life. I mean to be completely honest Barbossa was a scary creature in COTBP but I think in part it was the frustration and the affects of the curse that made him that way. He couldn't be killed so he feared nothing, meanwhile he felt he was starving and thirsting, like death itself.

Of course before the curse he was coniving and bad but he was a pirate! And the fact that he was undestructable could have made him even harsher towards others but he always seemed to be level headed...like with Jack, a 2nd mutinee, any other pirate would have learned from the first time and would have just killed Jack! But Barbossa always seemed reluctant to kill Jack for some reason!

Anywhoo in AWE we can see actual fear in his eyes when Tia threatens him and momentarily changes his hand back to a skeleton. He knows that he couldn't fight on his own bc he was mortal and could in fact die, he knew he needed Jack and Will and Elizabeth and the rest of the Pirates to fight and defeat the war against Pirates! besides they were all Pirates fighting, so obviously they were on the same side, but the minute that war was over Barbossa turned back into his coniving self and turned on Jack again, stealing his ship.lol

Thanks Savvy! *Huggles*

Last edited by PirateDiva on Feb 29th, 2008 at 04:16 AM

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 04:14 AM
PirateDiva is currently offline Click here to Send PirateDiva a Private Message Find more posts by PirateDiva Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

I do find Barbossa's character arc particularly fascinating. I think the scene between him and Jack at the site of the dead kraken really brought him full circle for me--- that scene just was exquisite. It made me understand where he was, why he was so desperate to fulfill his vow to Calypso... and frankly, I think Barbossa knew about Will's destiny. His father, Jones, Calypso, all the blatant hints on the way back from the locker by Tia--- Barbossa undoubtedly caught on. He's well versed in legends and lore. So in the midst of the epic battle, he's going "yes by all means, get the future captain married to his beloved." it would tie up the situation well for him, with those motives.

Barbossa and Elizabeth's relationship is also really intriguing to me--- not in any sense romantic, but very competitive and full of banter, but their banter is much more threatening and darkly full of innuendo, as opposed to say Elizabeth and Jack's. Barbossa seems to love freaking her out in film 1, and tossing her around like a pawn in his plans... but by film 3, he's looking out for her, respecting her, even taking orders from her at times. I do think Barbossa's brush with death humbled him a bit, made him feel more vulnerable and more inclined to get along and work with people rather than fight them.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 04:29 AM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VioletEyesPop08
Restricted

Account Restricted

I do indeed think and at first thought that Barbossa was like "bloody" as Hell in how he treats Elizabeth. He acts like a baby in the way that is disappointing but like he is better in ways he certainly is not. Elizabeth seems to have a good handle on culture throughout the mind, while he just seems to be riding on fate. Comdemn him as the pirate he really is!!!! He must be running a lot on past life meanwhile, making him a bit lamely in the end, just, eggy.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 06:32 AM
SelinaAndBruce

I love Barbosa.

I have to say for me I don't overlook the males actions and just come down hard on Elizabeth because she's a girl. There are certainly things Jack did that I was not fond of and he is my absolutel favorite. My main problem with Elizabeth overall is that she pretty much jerked my other boy Will around and she killed my number 1 boy Jack. Not acceptable. Not forgivable and she never had to pay for those things in that Will and Jack got over it far too quickly. Though thankfully Jack's mood had chilled towards her quite a bit in AWE him voting her Pirate King was unspeakable in my book.

Selina: No darker than yours, Bruce

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 07:03 AM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
VioletEyesPop08
Restricted

Account Restricted

I noticed, especially from recent Sparrabeth videos, she really, even though being really thick, which is good, though not strong enough, looks puny thin next to Johnny Depp. She looks like she is a feather being blown away. I compared her with American female actresses just a little older than her, and she really saves the day there in that she does not look like, say, the girl in The Eye, for which I saw ads so far, being I am too ill to go to theaters at the moment. Paris Hilton looks like a baby, too. I saw spoilers for The Hottie and the Nottie. I saw she took off her music on her music MySpace a little before this movie came out. Her music still is not there, and it features The Hottie and the Nottie there after you scroll down as a main banner that says "The Latest." So, she is 27. I can imagine how she was able not to be just short like it seems most people being she is basically protected unlike everyone else. People like to forget that.

So, yea, Elizabeth looks stupid.. ? I can't wait to see who victims to play her in 4. Aw, if I were thinner and taller, I'd be able to get an agent and try to get hooked into auditions, but no way jose! I wish some ppl -like you guys would want to do it.

So, what if, definitely, the next Elizabeth will be something bad, not a booklearned type person even.. Maybe someone lik AJ from Aly & AJ might not hurt in such a bad way since she's so young enough to be his kid. It might be funny, someone, I think Dakota Fanning should do it. 14 is like 17 or 16 was anyway. As for the 10 years older, no one cares anymore. She was 10 as Young Elizabeth, though. Since it's eight years later, she was 18, and now she is at least 28. Paris Hilton would just be funny? Someone unknown might be able to take advantage more really if they aren't careful with high esteem. Johnny Depp seems to be able to handle it from the vid Rory posted. Everyone wants to be treated well these days, so the girl should be just blown away. -Not like anything else better is waiting for her-

Oh, sorry, did you guys like this as part of this topic? Should someone make a thread on the new Elizabeth, and Willl, etc., separate or together etc.?

-And yes, I do plan on getting taller, like 5'6". So, I'm either 5'2" or 5'4" now. I used to be like 5' or maybe 5'1" like.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 07:22 AM
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

I love barbossa too. He's a real mystery....
Yes i have to say one of my favorite scenes was barbossa/kracken/jack in AWE. It revealed so much about both characters...Very angsty!

Freedom...

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 01:01 PM
tee_pirategirl is currently offline Click here to Send tee_pirategirl a Private Message Find more posts by tee_pirategirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Yes, Diva and Kate, I think you guys spelled out what I had been missing out on. That bond he has with Jack now since both of them have experienced death and have received a second chance says it all, especially how now they both fear death, hence both of them seeking the Fountain of Youth.

I think the essence of their relationship is parlay. Each one has his own plan for how to live forever: Barbossa by releasing Calypso and Jack by getting the heart. They both don't really bother to see that these two plans can coexist, but that's part of their pirate charm. It's basically Barbossa getting screwed by the trio, but he manages to get what he needs when he nabs Jack's Piece of 8.

Yes, Kate, his relationship with Elizabeth is really intriguing. It's almost a father/daughter relationship, which she doesn't get with anyone else, even her father because although I'm sure she loves her real dad very much, she doesn't seem to look up to him and by extension, they don't get much screen time together. With Jack gone, she can rely on Barbossa to be her pirate mentor and he can rely on her to sort of carry on his legacy. I think part of him feels that if he can't live forever, he can pass on his knowledge and his skill to her.

Old Post Feb 29th, 2008 02:37 PM