KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » What makes a good book to you?

What makes a good book to you?
Started by: Korosan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Korosan
Your Best Friend

What makes a good book to you?

What makes a book...well...awesome? In your own opinion. Is it the characters? Is it the environments? Maybe its the villains? Or might it just be the way the world is shown and the things in that world?

For me I suppose it would be the characters, especially the villains. I think its interesting how the villains always view what they do in a different perspective from the protagonist but still in a way that it holds truth.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2008 03:24 AM
Korosan is currently offline Click here to Send Korosan a Private Message Find more posts by Korosan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

For me it's whatever affect the book has on me. If it makes me think and examine my thoughts and opinions, that makes a good book.

Of course, I'm also satisfied with a kickass plot and language that flows well. I can't stand reading text that seems stale and fake.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Mar 14th, 2008 05:23 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

If I can finally finish a book then it must be good.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2008 06:35 AM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

A good book to me is one that catches my attention and interest in the first page or two. As odd as it sounds, if I read the first couple of pages of a book and it isn't interesting and I cannot pay any attention, I'll close it and move on.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2008 05:01 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
A good book to me is one that catches my attention and interest in the first page or two. As odd as it sounds, if I read the first couple of pages of a book and it isn't interesting and I cannot pay any attention, I'll close it and move on.

I agree, but I usually read a little longer than that. If I can't really get into a book by around page 25-30, then I give up. The only exception I had to that was Harry Turtledove's Into the Darkness. I so wanted to get into that book that I read about the first 140 pages. I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters or what was going on.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2008 08:21 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
oakling

I prefer books that have some humor, imaginative plots, or interesting information, but no matter what genre the book is in what really matters to me is the writing style. It doesn't have to be any particular style, but it has to be good - good characterization, skilled use of language, something where the author can transport me to another world (even if that world is just their own point of view) using language alone.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2008 09:44 PM
oakling is currently offline Click here to Send oakling a Private Message Find more posts by oakling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jim Colyer
Restricted

Account Restricted

Simple. A good book has to be about something I am interested in. It has to expand my knowledge in some way.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2008 02:31 AM
Jim Colyer is currently offline Click here to Send Jim Colyer a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Colyer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
arkenemis1114

hey every1!one of u people read the book called Bartimaeus trilogy!?Its freakin awesome!!really funny with a lot of actions.people say that its better than harry potter!!!!!reading

Old Post May 6th, 2008 12:24 PM
arkenemis1114 is currently offline Click here to Send arkenemis1114 a Private Message Find more posts by arkenemis1114 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

the people in it, the writer's vocab and writing style (that's why i hate Ernest Hemingway), the quality and clarity of the story, the setting(this is why I hate Vanity Fair) ,the message, and length IMO

Old Post May 7th, 2008 12:44 AM
Blue_Hefner is currently offline Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

vivid storytelling told through almost poetic syntax.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 02:15 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Depends.. Has to be a good author. Unless of course I've read the person's previous work. The story. Length of said novel. The characters. Sometimes if the reviews are good

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 7th, 2008 05:18 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by celestialdemon
I agree, but I usually read a little longer than that. If I can't really get into a book by around page 25-30, then I give up. The only exception I had to that was Harry Turtledove's Into the Darkness. I so wanted to get into that book that I read about the first 140 pages. I just couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters or what was going on.

Yeah, I believe I did that with Twilight (or some other semi-popular book people were gawking over) but I didn't get as far. I guess when it comes to what everyone else tells me to read, I shouldn't pay attention unless I really have the motivation to pick up the book and try reading it myself. I shouldn't listen to other people....maybe. xD

Old Post May 7th, 2008 06:20 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote