KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » State Ruling Ciminalizes Home Schooling

State Ruling Ciminalizes Home Schooling
Started by: Adam_PoE

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Adam_PoE

State Ruling Ciminalizes Home Schooling

quote:
"Criminalizing Home Schoolers" Kristin Kloberdanz

Parents of the approximately 200,000 home-schooled children in California are reeling from the possibility that they may have to shutter their classrooms — and go back to school themselves — if they want to continue teaching their own kids. On Feb. 28, Judge H. Walter Croskey of the Second District Court of Appeals in Los Angeles ruled that children ages six to 18 may be taught only by credentialed teachers in public or private schools — or at home by Mom and Dad, but only if they have a teaching degree. Citing state law that goes back to the early 1950s, Croskey declared that "California courts have held that under provisions in the Education Code, parents do not have a constitutional right to home school their children." Furthermore, the judge wrote, if instructors teach without credentials they will be subject to criminal action.

This news raised a furor among home schooling advocates, including government officials. "Every California child deserves a quality education and parents should have the right to decide what's best for their children," Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said in a statement today. "Parents should not be penalized for acting in the best interests of their children's education. This outrageous ruling must be overturned by the courts and if the courts don't protect parents' rights then, as elected officials, we will." "It's kind of scary," says Julie Beth Lamb, an Oakdale, California, parent who, with no teaching credentials, has taught her four children for 15 years. "If that ruling is held up, this would make us one of the most restrictive states in the nation."

The debacle originated with a suit over child abuse. One of the eight children of Philip and Mary Long, a Los Angeles couple, had filed a complaint of abuse and neglect with the L.A. Department of Children and Family Services. The agency determined that the Long children were being home schooled, taught by their uncredentialed mother while officially enrolled in independent study at Sunland Christian School. The DCFS then turned to the courts to mandate that the children attend public school so that teachers might spot evidence of abuse (a charge the parents deny). A juvenile court, however, determined that the Longs had a constitutional right to home school their children. The DCFS appealed and the case landed in Croskey's appellate court.

For years, the state of California has allowed parents to home school as long as they file papers to create a private school and hire a tutor with credentials or if their child participates in an independent study program through a credentialed school. In evaluating the Long case, however, Judge Croskey found that state law forbade any home schooling that was not taught by a credentialed teacher and that what California had been allowing was, in his judicial opinion, illegal. In 1953, another appellate court ruled against home-schooling parents who didn't want to adhere to California's compulsory education laws, which require kids between six and 18 to attend a credentialed school. The current case is most likely to be appealed to California's Supreme Court.

"We weren't trying to change the law on home schooling," says Leslie Heimov of the Children's Law Center, which represents the Long children involved in the case. "The law is accurate — it hasn't changed since the 1950s." She says the Center does not even have an opinion on home schooling. They just wanted to do what was best for the children represented in the case.

The fact that this sweeping ruling has sprung from such an individualized case is what has most outraged home schooling advocates. "Public schools are not a solution to the problem of child abuse," says Leslie Buchanan, president of the HomeSchool Association of California. Jack O'Connell, California State Superintendent of Public Instruction — the equivalent of a department of education — now faces the potential crisis of dealing with tens of thousands of truants. Does he know what will happen next? "I honestly don't know," O'Connell says, adding that his department is reviewing the case. "There is some angst in the field."

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 11:23 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

not sure how i feel about this. i do feel that a minimum level of education should be manditory for homeschool teachers, but why does it have to be a teaching degree? so...like...if your parents each have a phd, but not in teaching, they are not fit to teach.

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 11:35 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I can understand the reasoning behind this, but I do think its bullshit though, from a "peronal rights" piont of view. If a parent wants to raise their kid to be an ignoramus, then so be it. Besides, aren't most home-schooled kids from religious families?

My wife's side of the family (a cousin) has some serious born-again bible-beaters who happen to home school their two daughters, her (the mother) response to this was "this is wrong, why do people pass judgement on things they're ignorant and fearful about." Which is hilarious, since she's against giving gays and lesbians equal rights.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 11:43 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zeal Ex Nihilo
Restricted

Account Restricted

What does this have to do with gays?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 11:51 PM
Zeal Ex Nihilo is currently offline Click here to Send Zeal Ex Nihilo a Private Message Find more posts by Zeal Ex Nihilo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Ha. Funny.

Anyways, fascist mother****ers.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 11:54 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Bardock42
Ha. Funny.

Anyways, fascist mother****ers.

Is "Fascist" your word of the week?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2008 11:58 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by BackFire
Is "Fascist" your word of the week?

If by "week" you mean "ever" and by "word of the" "word I use when it feels appropriate" then no. That sentence doesn't make one piece of ****ing sense you idiot.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 12:00 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ms Chelle
ubuntu

Personally I think public or private schools are better for a child then home teaching but it is (as Robtard said) a bullshit law to pass.

made by Scribble

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 12:04 AM
Ms Chelle is currently offline Click here to Send Ms Chelle a Private Message Find more posts by Ms Chelle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Bardock42
If by "week" you mean "ever" and by "word of the" "word I use when it feels appropriate" then no. That sentence doesn't make one piece of ****ing sense you idiot.

Tard.

You've used Fascist like 40 times this week. Sound like a damn highschooler who just found out what the word meant and wants to apply it to everything you hear about that you don't like ****** ass son of a *****, ****. Go back to hot topic so you can call the local mall security guard a fascist, stop having sex with children.

That sentance is perfect English you foreigner, learn the language damn it. It makes perfect sense.

Why do you make me rape you?

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 12:21 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

why doesnt the states just keep children at birth. The Government already tells people how to raise children and now you are forced to let the states brainwash them. It really doesn't take that much knowledge to teach children basic subjects. Considering that many high school graduates have reading and math skills at only an 8th grade level, where as children that are home schooled are often at college reading and math levels by freshman year of high school. Perhaps the teachers should be forced to have higher degree's

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Mar 9th, 2008 at 01:23 AM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 01:19 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BigRed

That's ****ing stupid and ridiculous.

If as a parent, I want to raise my student away from the public school system and essentially home school them, that is entirely my prerogative.

Besides, the public school system sucks as it is.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 01:56 AM
BigRed is currently offline Click here to Send BigRed a Private Message Find more posts by BigRed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

I used to be homeschooled. I actually learned a lot. My parents don't have teaching degrees, but they each have a considerable college background in science, math, etc. I homeschooled for ten years until I started attending an early college high school last year. There weren't any gaps in my education as far as I could tell, even compared to the people who had been in public or private schools most of their lives.

On the other hand, I know plenty of ultra-conservative, illogical, crazy homeschool families that made homeschooling into a secondary religion. They usually had parents who homeschooled because they thought it was more important for their kids to choose their own education...meaning if the homeschooler wants to read Harry Potter for eight hours for his school time, that is part of his development. They had come to all these conclusions with help from each other and none of them had more than two years of college in their education. How retarded is that?

But I'm still waiting for an answer to schecter's question.
Originally posted by Schecter
not sure how i feel about this. i do feel that a minimum level of education should be manditory for homeschool teachers, but why does it have to be a teaching degree? so...like...if your parents each have a phd, but not in teaching, they are not fit to teach.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 03:57 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I wonder where the rights of parents to own their children ends and the rights of the children to own themselves begins?

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:30 AM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Tard.

You've used Fascist like 40 times this week. Sound like a damn highschooler who just found out what the word meant and wants to apply it to everything you hear about that you don't like ****** ass son of a *****, ****. Go back to hot topic so you can call the local mall security guard a fascist, stop having sex with children.

That sentance is perfect English you foreigner, learn the language damn it. It makes perfect sense.

Bardock, does it ever feel weird that BackFire likes to keep such close tabs on you? I'd be creeped...

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:50 AM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Black Ghost
Observer

Motherfukers.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:57 AM
The Black Ghost is currently offline Click here to Send The Black Ghost a Private Message Find more posts by The Black Ghost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Quark_666
Bardock, does it ever feel weird that BackFire likes to keep such close tabs on you? I'd be creeped...
I'm used to it.

Tard.

You would say that. You're a fascist.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 10:25 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Devil King
I wonder where the rights of parents to own their children ends and the rights of the children to own themselves begins?

When they turn 18.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:48 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo

If you can't see the humor in what is happening to her in regards to what see said and her stance on others rights, then... I don't know.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:49 PM
King Kandy

This is just my experience, but the only homeschooled person I know is this ultra-right wing girl who's parents pulled her out of school because I was questioning her religion to much.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:50 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by King Kandy
This is just my experience, but the only homeschooled person I know is this ultra-right wing girl who's parents pulled her out of school because I was questioning her religion to much.

I believe that statistically, most home-schooled kids come from [very]religious households.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 04:51 PM