KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Batman R.I.P

Batman R.I.P
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
OB1-adobe

Batman R.I.P

what the hell are these Batman R.I.P ads I have been seeing in this weeks DC comics?

Old Post Mar 12th, 2008 09:21 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Put up some scans.. DC is possibly planning on killing Batman and putting Dick Grayson in the Batsuit. It won't work. DC tried the same thing with Superman years ago and then had to bring him back.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 12th, 2008 10:22 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Put up some scans.. DC is possibly planning on killing Batman and putting Dick Grayson in the Batsuit. It won't work. DC tried the same thing with Superman years ago and then had to bring him back.

But Superman is one person... And ONLY Clark Kent can be Superman (for obvious reasons)... Bruce Wayne may be Batman, but Batman is NOT Bruce Wayne...

Batman transcends Bruce Wayne... Batman is an ideal, a thought process, a symbol, not a person... ANYONE can be Batman... I think killing Bruce Wayne (and having a villain do it) would give Grayson and Drake a reason to CONTINUE, and inspire others to do better, or join in the fight... So personally, I think this is actually a pretty good idea... And let's not forget that they can always have a "Wayne Era" Batman line published to sooth the backlash...

So all the fans complaining, ESPECIALLY over at BOF (I comment on them a lot), are thinking killing Bruce Wayne kills Batman... But as I've already stated, Batman transcends what one character can do... It's an ongoing struggle, not the biography of one man...

And they can even bring back the all black suit... To differentiate the new and old...

Old Post Mar 12th, 2008 10:36 PM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Respectfully disagree.

Batman is about a boy losing his parents, not knowing how to deal with it, going slightly insane, and fighting criminals as a giant bat.

He as a person is intelligent, athletic, a genius detective and superb martial artist and is a multi-millionaire to boot.

His name: Bruce Wayne.

To me, THAT is batman. Nobody else can be or do that.

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Mar 12th, 2008 10:48 PM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Bat Dude
But Superman is one person... And ONLY Clark Kent can be Superman (for obvious reasons)... Bruce Wayne may be Batman, but Batman is NOT Bruce Wayne...

Batman transcends Bruce Wayne... Batman is an ideal, a thought process, a symbol, not a person... ANYONE can be Batman... I think killing Bruce Wayne (and having a villain do it) would give Grayson and Drake a reason to CONTINUE, and inspire others to do better, or join in the fight... So personally, I think this is actually a pretty good idea... And let's not forget that they can always have a "Wayne Era" Batman line published to sooth the backlash...

So all the fans complaining, ESPECIALLY over at BOF (I comment on them a lot), are thinking killing Bruce Wayne kills Batman... But as I've already stated, Batman transcends what one character can do... It's an ongoing struggle, not the biography of one man...

And they can even bring back the all black suit... To differentiate the new and old...

My friend I have to disagree somewhat. Killing Bruce Wayne will anger so many people. I'm sure there will be some sort of backlash. I'm sure Dick would be a great Batman but killing Wayne so DC can make some money off it just may not work. Especially since Batman Begins was so successful and The Dark Knight will also be very successful, DC should've change their plans some. BATMAN WILL ALWAYS BE BRUCE WAYNE AND VICE VERSA. If they do do this I hope they give Grayson some sort of armored suit t denote that is a changing of the guard. But also lets not forget the mistake that DC make after they broke Bruce's back and Bruce gave the mantle to Jean-Paul Valley. That just didn't work (even though I liked Azrael and I love the Bat armor), seeim=ng someone else in that suit just doesn't sound right and I'm sure after a few months DC will retcon everything to say that Bruce Wayne never died or he just went into hiding., so they can bring him back.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2008 11:03 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

It's ok to disagree... Actually, it's great that we disagree, as healthy debate is good for everyone...

I just see Batman differently then most... I see Batman as a symbol... A symbol of loss, tragedy, determination, and hope...

Batman, like the Crow, is born from tragedy, and like the Crow, all it takes is violence and tragedy to bring about the whole process again...

You see, to me, Batman isn't Bruce Wayne... But Bruce Wayne is Batman... But ANYONE could have become Batman... Joe Chill could have become Batman if he were in the same situation... The same kind of Batman? Probably not, but like I said, Batman isn't confined to the life of one person... He is an ideal, and that's why I'm ok with several (non-camp) depictions of Batman, because there is no "true" Batman because Batman transcends all that linear stuff for me...

Old Post Mar 12th, 2008 11:13 PM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

Ugh...

They already broke the Bat. Why kill him?

Old Post Mar 13th, 2008 05:30 AM
tlbauerle is currently offline Click here to Send tlbauerle a Private Message Find more posts by tlbauerle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sindahouse

They're gonna kill him?? Damn!! Im sure he'll come back, but to bring back a dead Batman would taint the "realistic" feel of the Batman comic book world. But I guess we'll have to wait and see

Old Post Mar 13th, 2008 08:40 AM
sindahouse is currently offline Click here to Send sindahouse a Private Message Find more posts by sindahouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sindahouse

Originally posted by tlbauerle
Ugh...

I agree

Old Post Mar 13th, 2008 08:41 AM
sindahouse is currently offline Click here to Send sindahouse a Private Message Find more posts by sindahouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

Seems kinda unnatural when I think of:

Clark, Diana, and Dick.

and not Clark, Diana, and Bruce

Old Post Mar 13th, 2008 12:50 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: Batman R.I.P

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
what the hell are these Batman R.I.P ads I have been seeing in this weeks DC comics?

It's just Morrison's stupid way to change the mythos to glorify his overrated stories.

See Batman and son.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2008 05:04 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Ugh...

QFT

Old Post Mar 13th, 2008 07:01 PM
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

Ugh...

Because there could be so much meaning behind it, such a strong theme could be present...

If Bruce Wayne dies and there is a worthy successor, it'll show that while your body may decay and die, the thoughts are forever... The ideas are forever... The symbol is forever... BATMAN is forever... It could finally show that while Bruce Wayne dies, Batman NEVER dies... He is ALWAYS watching over the city, whether it's Bruce, Rick, Tim, Terry, or anyone else...

While I think they should wait a little bit longer (70 year anniversary in Detective Comics May issue), I think having the mantle of the Bat passed down is the next logical step in the Bat mythos... Let's face it, they have done so much with the Bruce Wayne character that I think they could be running out of good ideas soon... It'd be a way of introducing the character to a new spin... An update... They did it to Green Lantern, Flash, and etc., why is Batman such a touchy subject?

I could easily go on and on about how much this could HELP the Batman series, but whatever...

Honestly, sometimes I don't understand the comic book community...

Old Post Mar 13th, 2008 07:52 PM
sindahouse

Originally posted by Bat Dude
Because there could be so much meaning behind it, such a strong theme could be present...

If Bruce Wayne dies and there is a worthy successor, it'll show that while your body may decay and die, the thoughts are forever... The ideas are forever... The symbol is forever... BATMAN is forever... It could finally show that while Bruce Wayne dies, Batman NEVER dies... He is ALWAYS watching over the city, whether it's Bruce, Rick, Tim, Terry, or anyone else...

While I think they should wait a little bit longer (70 year anniversary in Detective Comics May issue), I think having the mantle of the Bat passed down is the next logical step in the Bat mythos... Let's face it, they have done so much with the Bruce Wayne character that I think they could be running out of good ideas soon... It'd be a way of introducing the character to a new spin... An update... They did it to Green Lantern, Flash, and etc., why is Batman such a touchy subject?

I could easily go on and on about how much this could HELP the Batman series, but whatever...

Honestly, sometimes I don't understand the comic book community...

Sorry, but Bats ain't like the rest... I usually have an open mind, but it damn closed when it comes to this subject..

Long live Bruce Wayne..... (well on paper anyway lol embarrasment )

Old Post Mar 14th, 2008 12:50 AM
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

Originally posted by sindahouse
Sorry, but Bats ain't like the rest... I usually have an open mind, but it damn closed when it comes to this subject..

I think Batman is just like Green Lantern and Flash... Green Lantern is not one person, but a legacy... The Flash is not one person, but a legacy... That is what Batman should be, a legacy of sorts... The ideas of the Flash and Green Lantern are not the biography of one man, and neither should Batman... If there is someone worthy of the title, I don't care if his name is Bruce Wayne or not, as long as he embodies what the character truly means, and that is the pain of loss, and how we ease this pain... Bruce Wayne does that, but like I said, an update could go far in actually helping the character... So many new ideas could be brought into scope... Things that could never have happened in a Batman comic could now happen... But as I've said time and time again, Batman is NOT confined to the life of one character... At least, in my eyes...

And it's not like all his past stories/adventures are null and voided by this change... Everything that happened to that point still happened... Nothing is stopping you reading the old stories...

Old Post Mar 14th, 2008 08:23 PM
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
QFT

Color me ignorant...what does that mean?

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 12:46 AM
tlbauerle is currently offline Click here to Send tlbauerle a Private Message Find more posts by tlbauerle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Quoted For Truth.

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 03:29 AM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

Sweet.

How'd I miss that?

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 04:22 AM
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Took me awhile too. stick out tongue

Do you say "Powned" or "Pawned" for PWNED?

Over at theforce.net they have MTFBWY (may the force be with you) and GFFA (galaxy far, far away). big grin

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 04:44 AM
Dyno
Authority

Originally posted by sindahouse

I agree bats isn't like the rest theyv killed most of our heros at one point except bats, why not just keep it that way, its ironic seen as bats is the only one without actual powers, if bats died a little part of me would die i must say lol because we can relate to batman more than most herossmile

Last edited by Dyno on Mar 15th, 2008 at 06:05 AM

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 06:02 AM
Dyno is currently offline Click here to Send Dyno a Private Message Find more posts by Dyno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote