KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Batman R.I.P

Batman R.I.P
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
sindahouse

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bat Dude
I think Batman is just like Green Lantern and Flash... Green Lantern is not one person, but a legacy... The Flash is not one person, but a legacy... That is what Batman should be, a legacy of sorts... The ideas of the Flash and Green Lantern are not the biography of one man, and neither should Batman... If there is someone worthy of the title, I don't care if his name is Bruce Wayne or not, as long as he embodies what the character truly means, and that is the pain of loss, and how we ease this pain... Bruce Wayne does that, but like I said, an update could go far in actually helping the character... So many new ideas could be brought into scope... Things that could never have happened in a Batman comic could now happen... But as I've said time and time again, Batman is NOT confined to the life of one character... At least, in my eyes...

And it's not like all his past stories/adventures are null and voided by this change... Everything that happened to that point still happened... Nothing is stopping you reading the old stories...

Bullocks... All superheroes are Legacys, except bruce. Bruce is batz. Sorry, mind is still closed

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 06:30 AM
sindahouse is currently offline Click here to Send sindahouse a Private Message Find more posts by sindahouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Because there could be so much meaning behind it, such a strong theme could be present...

If Bruce Wayne dies and there is a worthy successor, it'll show that while your body may decay and die, the thoughts are forever... The ideas are forever... The symbol is forever... BATMAN is forever... It could finally show that while Bruce Wayne dies, Batman NEVER dies... He is ALWAYS watching over the city, whether it's Bruce, Rick, Tim, Terry, or anyone else...

While I think they should wait a little bit longer (70 year anniversary in Detective Comics May issue), I think having the mantle of the Bat passed down is the next logical step in the Bat mythos... Let's face it, they have done so much with the Bruce Wayne character that I think they could be running out of good ideas soon... It'd be a way of introducing the character to a new spin... An update... They did it to Green Lantern, Flash, and etc., why is Batman such a touchy subject?

I could easily go on and on about how much this could HELP the Batman series, but whatever...

Honestly, sometimes I don't understand the comic book community...
Me too. I think it's a bad decision. Not because it's bad idea at it's core, but because from what I've seen on the 'net, many of Batman's fans will go insane(er big grin ) It's fvcked up, but that's how it is. I've seen the same thing w/Batman Beyond. Was a great show, but people bit<hed about not liking anyone in the suit but Bruce.

I think they should pass the mantle, but keep Bruce alive. I'd like to see Grayson get his due. It's weird for Bruce to still be running around w/the guy who used to be kid Flash. Bats get treated like this because he's part of DCs holy trinity. They all seem to never pass the torch. It's always been a "if you're not Bats/Supes/WW........FVCK YOU!" type of thing w/DC. Does WW sell more than Flash or GL? I really don't think she belongs here

As for the Azbat thing. I loved the idea of the mantle being passed, but not to some super powered weirdo who came outta nowhere w/a stupid looking suit. The only 2 worthy are Grayson & Terry M.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 04:37 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kainreaver

Batman may be all about the concept of the batman trancending the man Bruce Wayne...But even so, the fact is this: People will not roll with Bruce Wayne getting killed off, and somehow they will have to revert back to Bruce Wayne being Batman.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 04:55 PM
Kainreaver is currently offline Click here to Send Kainreaver a Private Message Find more posts by Kainreaver Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

Originally posted by brainchild81
Me too. I think it's a bad decision. Not because it's bad idea at it's core, but because from what I've seen on the 'net, many of Batman's fans will go insane(er big grin ) It's fvcked up, but that's how it is. I've seen the same thing w/Batman Beyond. Was a great show, but people bit<hed about not liking anyone in the suit but Bruce.

I think they should pass the mantle, but keep Bruce alive. I'd like to see Grayson get his due. It's weird for Bruce to still be running around w/the guy who used to be kid Flash. Bats get treated like this because he's part of DCs holy trinity. They all seem to never pass the torch. It's always been a "if you're not Bats/Supes/WW........FVCK YOU!" type of thing w/DC. Does WW sell more than Flash or GL? I really don't think she belongs here

As for the Azbat thing. I loved the idea of the mantle being passed, but not to some super powered weirdo who came outta nowhere w/a stupid looking suit. The only 2 worthy are Grayson & Terry M.

Yeah, I agree...

He doesn't have to die, but passing down the torch is what he should do... If done right, I see no reason why the comic can't benefit from it...

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 05:18 PM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jimmy Buggs

Is batman beyond noncannon?

Old Post Mar 15th, 2008 09:31 PM
Jimmy Buggs is currently offline Click here to Send Jimmy Buggs a Private Message Find more posts by Jimmy Buggs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Not IIRC. It's futuristic & could easily be made canon though.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2008 05:21 AM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

Not IIRC. It's futuristic & could easily be made canon though.

Isn't Batman Beyond one of the 52 universes?

Old Post Mar 16th, 2008 03:36 PM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Not sure. You may be right

Old Post Mar 16th, 2008 08:09 PM
super pr*xy

Isn't Batman Beyond one of the 52 universes?

yup...

Old Post Mar 17th, 2008 06:22 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

batman is more than some guy in a batsuit.

YOu get rid of Bruce you take batman's soul.

I liked batman beyond and all, but out of all of the dcau its the one I liked the least. Its only cool because its a flash forward of batman's world.

Who really cares about the adventures of terry mcguinnes as opposed to the adventures of Bruce wayne?

On a second note, that show Bruce was basically still batman. He was the brains and that in a nutshell is what makes batman fascinating.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2008 07:12 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
super pr*xy

bruce wayne is the essence of batman. taking away bruce and saying the next batman would be just the same is preposterous. it's like a tootsie pop... you take away the tootsie center and still have the gall to call it a tootsie pop. now, batman beyond wasn't so bad because it was a torch-passing of some sort and we do see bruce struggle as batman.

what makes batman work is bruce. no guns necessary... extensive martial arts training, killer bank roll, perfect alter-ego... while bats is out at night, bruce will be sleeping during the day. he's a billionare, no need for a day job. just a few appearances at fund raisers here and there...

with that being said...

http://www.newsarama.com/WWLA/08/DC/countdown.html

there is a mention of batman RIP in the article... and the possibility of batman becoming a new god. how exciting is that...

Old Post Mar 17th, 2008 07:48 PM
super pr*xy is currently offline Click here to Send super pr*xy a Private Message Find more posts by super pr*xy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by super pr*xy
bruce wayne is the essence of batman. taking away bruce and saying the next batman would be just the same is preposterous. it's like a tootsie pop... you take away the tootsie center and still have the gall to call it a tootsie pop. now, batman beyond wasn't so bad because it was a torch-passing of some sort and we do see bruce struggle as batman.

what makes batman work is bruce. no guns necessary... extensive martial arts training, killer bank roll, perfect alter-ego... while bats is out at night, bruce will be sleeping during the day. he's a billionare, no need for a day job. just a few appearances at fund raisers here and there...

with that being said...

there is a mention of batman RIP in the article... and the possibility of batman becoming a new god. how exciting is that...

I read the article, very fascinating.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 17th, 2008 10:18 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

with that being said...

First off, no one is saying it'd be exactly the same...

And if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you this...

What makes Batman so much different from the Flash? Or Green Lantern? Or any other hero for that matter?

The Flash, another of DC's legendary characters, seems to have someone new in the costume every 20 years...

All I'm saying is a new Batman isn't "The Death of the Batman Line"... There are plenty of worthy characters to take up the mantle of the Bat in the event Bruce is no longer able to...

And like I said, the old stories will still be there... It's not like Bruce Wayne would have never existed...

I'm just trying to prove that Batman is no different from Flash... Batman is not written in stone, and any deviation from what was originally written is not a sin, as much as people love to think the opposite... Batman is a concept, and a concept that needs updating every once and a while, whether that's something little like a yellow oval on the suit, or something huge like someone new behind the cowl...

Again, I'd prefer they wait a little while longer...

But then again, I AM the guy that praises Burton's Batman movies, so you might not like my thoughts on it... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 12:35 AM
super pr*xy

First off, no one is saying it'd be exactly the same...

And if you don't mind, I'd like to ask you this...

What makes Batman so much different from the Flash? Or Green Lantern? Or any other hero for that matter?

The Flash, another of DC's legendary characters, seems to have someone new in the costume every 20 years...

All I'm saying is a new Batman isn't "The Death of the Batman Line"... There are plenty of worthy characters to take up the mantle of the Bat in the event Bruce is no longer able to...

And like I said, the old stories will still be there... It's not like Bruce Wayne would have never existed...

I'm just trying to prove that Batman is no different from Flash... Batman is not written in stone, and any deviation from what was originally written is not a sin, as much as people love to think the opposite... Batman is a concept, and a concept that needs updating every once and a while, whether that's something little like a yellow oval on the suit, or something huge like someone new behind the cowl...

Again, I'd prefer they wait a little while longer...

But then again, I AM the guy that praises Burton's Batman movies, so you might not like my thoughts on it... roll eyes (sarcastic)

well, bruce's life is what makes him effective in what he does. with that being said, BATMAN is no different to any other hero. he has already been replaced once. i acknowledge the fact that he is not the last batman, but he is the ONLY bruce wayne. this is the main point in my previous post. maybe i should've said it's what makes THIS batman work.

on a more personal note... i love batman forever.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 06:33 AM
I-Drop
Privateer

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
batman is more than some guy in a batsuit.

YOu get rid of Bruce you take batman's soul.

I liked batman beyond and all, but out of all of the dcau its the one I liked the least.
Do you consider Teen Titans or Legion of Superheroes part of the DCAU?
Its only cool because its a flash forward of batman's world.

Who really cares about the adventures of terry mcguinnes as opposed to the adventures of Bruce wayne?
I did. It was something new but it still paid homage to the old. & the new villains were way more formidable than the old ones
On a second note, that show Bruce was basically still batman. He was the brains and that in a nutshell is what makes batman fascinating.
Nah. He was a mentor. Terry was Batman & Terry established himself on a many occasions as one who could hold his own(once even w/out the suit). Hell, in "Return of the Joker" he took down Joker his way, not Bruce's.

About the "New God" Batman, that doesn't include powers does it? That'd suck

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 06:36 AM
super pr*xy

that does include powers. immortality and flight to name a couple. oh, and gigantism. look it up on wiki... there's a few more.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 06:47 AM
I-Drop
Privateer

laughing out loud That'd be horrible

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 08:13 PM
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

10 bucks says it'll all get retconned within the next 2 years. stick out tongue

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 09:47 PM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

He was a mentor. Terry was Batman & Terry established himself on a many occasions as one who could hold his own(once even w/out the suit). Hell, in "Return of the Joker" he took down Joker his way, not Bruce's.

Yeah... I liked Batman Beyond for what it was... The next chapter in the Bat mythos... I really liked Terry as a character, and I thought he was a worthy successor to the name Batman...

However, when Epilogue was over, I was FURIOUS! They made him Bruce's son! WTF?!? That's basically them trying to make us believe that "only those of Bruce's bloodline are worthy of being Batman"... That's not true at all... Batman isn't a hereditary title...

Old Post Mar 18th, 2008 11:57 PM
I-Drop
Privateer

I liked the way they explained it though. & I liked seeing that the Phantasm was still around.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2008 12:20 AM