KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » STAR TREK: The Forum...

Star Trek forum?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes... 42 70.00%
No... 18 30.00%
Total: 60 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STAR TREK: The Forum...
Started by: Raoul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TricksterPriest
Renegade Timelord

Yeah.......screw you Lana. You ruined VG versus, so who are you to say whether a Trek forum would fail. And btw, Star Trek is actually active and far more prolific than half the other movie forums on here.

Not to mention it's a groundbreaking series that has spawned numerous classic and original ideas in the Sci-fi genre.

Trek is infinitely more viable than Star Wars, because it's also social commentary, philosophy, future tech speculation, moral discussions and theoretical concepts.

I vote hell yes.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 07:00 AM
TricksterPriest is currently offline Click here to Send TricksterPriest a Private Message Find more posts by TricksterPriest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
You ruined VG versus

*dies laughing*

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 07:07 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Creshosk, cut out that hostile attitude immediately. Peach was simply stating an absolutely relevant fact when she pointed out that there has not been much discussion about Trek around here at all. And certainly you have no grounds to have accused anyone of trolling. If you continue such an unjustified hostile attitude you will be warned.

I'll make this clear- launching such contemptible attacks on those pointing out simple facts is not going to help you get a forum one tiny bit. All of you attacking other members are doing your cause harm. So let's have no more of this silly arguing.

As for bias- I'm a Star Trek fan, genius. Every film, every series, and I've recreated fights against planet-eating blobs with the classic Star Fleet Battles system. That's hardly the darn point. The ONLY point is whether based on what we have seen and from what we know from previous experience is whether a dedicated Trek forum is needed and sustainable.

And I am afraid from everything I can see the answer has been... no. Not really. Wait for the film buzz to rise and then see. That's honestly the best course.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Apr 25th, 2008 at 10:10 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 09:51 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Troop
Restricted

Account Restricted

Most people want one so for now there should.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 10:43 AM
Troop is currently offline Click here to Send Troop a Private Message Find more posts by Troop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

yeah well, like others said: it's not because most voted yes that it will be active.
I'm new here and I'm already intimidated by the huge amount of sections they have here... adding another and inactive one (as there are apperently only a few threads of Star Trek around?) only adds to the intimidations, scaring off new members

well, I'm new around here, so guess my opinion doesn't matter much when it comes to this sort of talks, just thought to toss in my two cents

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 11:02 AM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Troop
Restricted

Account Restricted

Its a forum, no one should be intimidated.

I am just as new as you..well almost.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 11:11 AM
Troop is currently offline Click here to Send Troop a Private Message Find more posts by Troop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

Originally posted by Ushgarak
That's not a relevant argument; external popularity has no bearing on hiow successful it would be as a forum here. We just had this discussion re: Doctor Who and we've seen the logic fail with Lost.

Bardock- there is an important principle that only forums that will have worthwhile use are allowed else the front page will quickly fill with garbage. There has to be some reasonable criteria of use.

And for sure- it will not be as popular as Potter, POTC and Star Wars. We've seen not even a fraction of a demand as there was for the first two and the last is the heart of the site.

The new film is not out until '09. That's a notable way off. I advise waiting to see if a buzz for it grows.

Yes there is hardly any interest at the moment, but think of the amount of new Trekkies that will join just by having that discussion.

why not just try it out for a while, if it fails then just close it?

Last edited by Dyno on Apr 25th, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 11:30 AM
Dyno is currently offline Click here to Send Dyno a Private Message Find more posts by Dyno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Yes, in part because we only allow new areas that are worthwhile.

In part probably. Though obviously such things can go to far.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 12:28 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Jovan
yeah well, like others said: it's not because most voted yes that it will be active.
I'm new here and I'm already intimidated by the huge amount of sections they have here... adding another and inactive one (as there are apperently only a few threads of Star Trek around?) only adds to the intimidations, scaring off new members

well, I'm new around here, so guess my opinion doesn't matter much when it comes to this sort of talks, just thought to toss in my two cents

What are you intimidated by? If you need help you can PM me. It's not that hard to understand, though I guess that the first time you view it it can be overwhelming. What you should maybe do is choose one active forum and stay there and have some conversations and explore the site from there. The first months I came to KMC I didn't post anywhere but in the Comic Book Versus Forum. And after that for quite some time just in the Off-Topic and General Discussion Forum. But you get used to the other forums relatively quickly, the subsets are very organized, imo.

Also, I am not sure if anyone ever said that, but, imo, why the History Forum failed, was a decision right from the start that crippled it, to put it in the Misc section. Lots of people never knew that the History Forum existed and where. What should have been done is to make it a subforum of the General Discussion, that way the traffic that the GDF creates would have at the same time advertised the History Forum. I'd be willing to wager that it had become much more succesful than the Philosophy Forum at least.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 12:37 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

I voted yes, I would probably participate if something interested me, much like any forum here. I don't see a reason why there shouldn't be one, or at least a trial run.
Originally posted by Bardock42
What are you intimidated by? If you need help you can PM me. It's not that hard to understand, though I guess that the first time you view it it can be overwhelming. What you should maybe do is choose one active forum and stay there and have some conversations and explore the site from there. The first months I came to KMC I didn't post anywhere but in the Comic Book Versus Forum. And after that for quite some time just in the Off-Topic and General Discussion Forum. But you get used to the other forums relatively quickly, the subsets are very organized, imo.

Bardock, I do believe that was actual quite sweet of you stick out tongue

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 01:27 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

I voted no because I am not a Star Trek fan so I wouldn't use it.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 04:11 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Badabing
14 movies, 5 TV shows, comics, novels and a cartoon. There's enough material to discuss.

Yes their certainly is. Not only can we all discuss the tv shows , comics, novels and original movies, but we can also discuss the upcoming movie by J. J. Abrams and the possibility of more movies and quite possibly a future tv show. We can also discuss Zach Quinto's version of Spock and compare him to the great Leonard Nimoy as well as do the same with the current movie cast.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 06:58 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

The negativity only hurts the chances that this will happen. And a "majority" of people wanting one in this thread is expected...but it's hardly a representative sample of all of KMC. So I voted yes, but the opposition has a valid point.

Also lulz at Trick complaining about someone else ruining an aspect of KMC. That's like Yoko yelling at Justin Timberlake for breaking up N'Sync. But at least try to have some class about it. Disagreeing doesn't have to mean b*tching.

erm

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 07:14 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by DigiMark007
The negativity only hurts the chances that this will happen. And a "majority" of people wanting one in this thread is expected...but it's hardly a representative sample of all of KMC. So I voted yes, but the opposition has a valid point.

Also lulz at Trick complaining about someone else ruining an aspect of KMC. That's like Yoko yelling at Justin Timberlake for breaking up N'Sync. But at least try to have some class about it. Disagreeing doesn't have to mean b*tching.

erm
So, which forum is the Beatles compared to the Video Game forum?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 07:17 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

So, which forum is the Beatles compared to the Video Game forum?

Not a forum. It was just a reference to how Trick has nut-punched every comic tournament he's ever been in, from the minor annoyances (dropping out once battles have started) to the major (ruining one to the point of collapse), and how he openly mocks those who enjoy taking them seriously.

Calling someone out for their mistakes is one thing, if it's intention is to improve the situation rather than just bash. But his remarks did not seem like they were intended as productive, and they struck me a bit hypocritical given his history.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 08:26 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Not a forum. It was just a reference to how Trick has nut-punched every comic tournament he's ever been in, from the minor annoyances (dropping out once battles have started) to the major (ruining one to the point of collapse), and how he openly mocks those who enjoy taking them seriously.

Calling someone out for their mistakes is one thing, if it's intention is to improve the situation rather than just bash. But his remarks did not seem like they were intended as productive, and they struck me a bit hypocritical given his history.

Yeah, sorry, I just wanted to insult the Video Games forums...cause that's how I roll.

BUt really, how do comic tournaments work. For that matter how do those guilds you have in the Comic Book Forums work? What are they about?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 08:30 PM
Peach
mordrem

Yeah, sorry, I just wanted to insult the Video Games forums...cause that's how I roll.

stick out tongue

I do have to admit I'm mildly curious as to how I ruined a forum by fixing things up as best I could, especially considering I get next to no complaints from those who actually post in that forum. Or how someone who joined KMC a year after I became the VG mod would even have a frame of reference to compare by...

Nor do I understand how any of that has anything to do with the fact that a lot of requested forums have not had a good track record, in regards to how much activity they get and how long they last. It's a fact that can't be denied

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 08:41 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Peach
stick out tongue

I do have to admit I'm mildly curious as to how I ruined a forum by fixing things up as best I could, especially considering I get next to no complaints from those who actually post in that forum. Or how someone who joined KMC a year after I became the VG mod would even have a frame of reference to compare by...

Nor do I understand how any of that has anything to do with the fact that a lot of requested forums have not had a good track record, in regards to how much activity they get and how long they last. It's a fact that can't be denied
Now, I get Ush's point about filling the forum. (doesn't it suck that the forum is a homonym?) But I think, for example one trial forum every 2-3 months would not be in danger of that, and there might possibly be great additions to KMC on a whole. Admittedly, I have no idea about the amount of work involved, but just to counter that argument, ya know?

Also, I still think the History forum should be recreated as a subforum of the GDF.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 08:49 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

BUt really, how do comic tournaments work. For that matter how do those guilds you have in the Comic Book Forums work? What are they about?

The guilds or teams are basically glorified off-topic chat rooms for people to collect under a vaguely comic-related moniker. I've put the kibosh on all but a few recently, since there's not much need for them. But if they're active and don't cause trouble, I generally don't have a problem with them.

Tourneys vary wildly, but basically you establish a power level (Superman and below, for example), draft characters from that power level (either in teams or amalgamated characters possessing multiple characters' powers) then enter battle with your wild power combinations and attempt to defeat your opponent in the debate. Usually a few knowledgeable, unbiased members are assigned to be judges and determine the winner. The permutations of power levels, combinations, and rule variations is limitless, though, so that's why there's so many.

They're hit and miss...some are awesome, efficiently run and have exciting debates between intelligent members. Other tourneys suck for a variety of reasons. So it's a mixed bag, but generally they're pretty fun.

I made a thread about them in the comic respect forum if you need more info. Should be in the Misc. directory.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 08:54 PM
Bardock42

The guilds or teams are basically glorified off-topic chat rooms for people to collect under a vaguely comic-related moniker. I've put the kibosh on all but a few recently, since there's not much need for them. But if they're active and don't cause trouble, I generally don't have a problem with them.

Tourneys vary wildly, but basically you establish a power level (Superman and below, for example), draft characters from that power level (either in teams or amalgamated characters possessing multiple characters' powers) then enter battle with your wild power combinations and attempt to defeat your opponent in the debate. Usually a few knowledgeable, unbiased members are assigned to be judges and determine the winner. The permutations of power levels, combinations, and rule variations is limitless, though, so that's why there's so many.

They're hit and miss...some are awesome, efficiently run and have exciting debates between intelligent members. Other tourneys suck for a variety of reasons. So it's a mixed bag, but generally they're pretty fun.

I made a thread about them in the comic respect forum if you need more info. Should be in the Misc. directory.
Nah, I actually think you gave quite a good introduction. Sounds pretty fun if done correctly, I'd say.

We should do that in the Religion Forum. Powerlevel Jesus and below.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2008 09:03 PM