KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » the reviews are coming in

the reviews are coming in
Started by: OB1-adobe

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (28): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Okiday... PLeasant review.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 05:03 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Outbound
Well I just saw it, I give it a 9/10.

This is classic Indiana Jones, lots of action, a few nods to the previous movies, a few laughs, plot moved pretty fast and was pretty interesting.

Only drawbacks I found were that it takes a bit of time to adjust to the setting (1957 I think it was), so theres plenty of stuff that just kinda seems a bit out of place in an Indy film, but you get used to it about 1/3 of the way through. The whole movie is a good ride, but the climax of the film...without spoiling.....you REALLY have to suspend your disbelief. Other than that, no flaws.

In a way, you have to suspend your disbelief with all the Indiana Jones films. I haven't seen the fourth one yet, but in the first you had to accept the demons or whatever they were that flew out of the Ark and melted people's faces. In part two you had to accept magical stones and still beating hearts being ripped out of people's chests. Then there was that ghost guy at the end of the third one.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 06:15 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
In a way, you have to suspend your disbelief with all the Indiana Jones films. I haven't seen the fourth one yet, but in the first you had to accept the demons or whatever they were that flew out of the Ark and melted people's faces. In part two you had to accept magical stones and still beating hearts being ripped out of people's chests. Then there was that ghost guy at the end of the third one.

yeah, well just wait until you see this one wink

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 08:10 PM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'll make my review brief.

Right of the bat...the film gets a 4 out of 5 from me.

Indiana Jones is back! But wait a minute...this isn't like previous Indiana films. This is a totally different setting. A much more challenging setting for our favorite archaeologist. He has enter the Cold War....and the McCarthyism era.

This is no longer the era of America united to fight Nazi Regime...this is the era of no trust and suspicion. And of course Indy is just another victim. This is also the era of the 50s. From Atomics to Jocks vs. Greasers (which there is a scene most of you will find quite funny) the whole Elvis and TV gang is there!

Best about this period is the Science fiction movie period. This is the entire theme through out the movie. Green Men from Mars coming to Earth...but we get so much more. This is where Spielberg put the mythos of Indiana Jones and set it right.

There is GREAT chemistry here! Indiana Jones + 1950s Science Fiction + Communist scare = Great formula! Spielberg became Tarantino for this Indiana Jones. The perfect mix blended together. Major props to Steven for sucha great feat!

The comedy was purely entertainment and clean. There is the scenes of the gophers in the desert, the malt shop brawl, Indy getting kidnapped and jumping from a car to a motorcycle, and so many others...oh, and of course "I hate snakes!" big grin

Aside from the comedy and the fantastic combination I mention before there was also the memories to the previous installments. The Ark scene put a smile to my face, Marion return, the Picture of Henry Jones, An image of the statue of Kali...and others. If you are an Indiana Jones fan there is no way you can say you hate those parts of the movie. The memories were nicely put together for this film.

The acting was as good as the previous movies. Everyone exercise their skills to perfection. Harrison Ford with his charming style, Karen Allen and her lovely smiles, and of course the villains as always masterfully wicked and dangerous. I did enjoy Cate Blanchett performance the most. She looked great as the central villain.

Then we have the death scenes. You know, this is something that strikes me as odd. How can a PG13 film like Indiana can get away with such death scenes? They're not extremely gore or offensive but pretty disturbing. Every Indy film have these death scenes that kinda get you. How can they get away with it is a mystery itself.

The story for this film was way too large. Pretty much over the top. However, this shouldn't be a negative. It was expected that this film was going to top the previous films. Now, I'm not saying that this film was better than the previous films. But a story much more bigger than the others. Why? Well, why not? This film is very likely to be the last time we see the older Indiana Jones in action. This pretty much culminates the series.

There is SOOO much more I want to touch about this film. I don't want to get carry away (too late) but I'm just going to say. This is the Indy film that we were waiting for....

You prolly are asking this....if I like the film so much why the 4 out of 5?

Simple, read my thread in this forum:

NAZIS MAKE BETTER VILLAINS THAN SOVIETS.

That's why this film didn't get a 5 out of 5.

Nazis are far more sinister than soviets and I can't really take the soviet army seriously here...I think a Nazi She-wolf Cate Blanchett would have been perfect IMO.

So put on your hats! Crack your whips and go see Indy!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull gets a

4 OUT OF 5.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on May 22nd, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 10:16 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Nice! Glad you enjoyed the film.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 10:51 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Im afraid my reaction to "Shia LeBeof and the occasional focus on the old man that used to called Jones" is less positive.

Once it was both established that Indy could survive being thrown a mile in a fridge thrown from taking a nuclear explosion, and therefore that any grounding in a believable world at all has been abandoned - every "danger" situation was a big exercise in flacid, impotent yawnsome predictability and the Indiana Jones movie levels of suspense/tension suffered all the way through, as the movie clearly was written by some of those cgi monkeys, who were assisted in smearing their cgi-faeces on the pages by randomly inserted comedy caddyshack rodents.

The whole Lucasfilm/Speilberg office party love-in vibe pissed all over the characters we knew and loved from the originals and Harrison Ford convinced me he was Indy in the 1st 20 mins like Ford convinced us with his enthusiasm in portraying Solo in the holiday special.
Actually, this is the Jonesian equivalent of that debacle, IMO.
The whole self-parodying tone was more 'Police Academy 4' than 'Indiana Jones'.

Bad script, weak plot shit villians.
Gutted for a great, great trilogy.

Speilberg'll never see another quid from me, if his recent run is what I'm paying for from now on.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on May 22nd, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 11:21 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Ouch. I had a similar feeling, but damn you just stomped and spit on that movie. lol. Did you find anything enjoyable and pleasing?

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 11:33 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Yeah some of the more restrained bits of humor worked...
The coldwar paranoia thing in the US at that time..
But virtually everything else I felt got drowned.... sad

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 11:44 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

yeah thats one point that I didn't like that a lot of critics complained about..... that the main characters never really felt like they were in danger. I think its because this one was aimed a bit more at kids then the previous installments. Well at least the first two anyway

Oh and when World War III comes around I'll remember to stay in my refrigerator in case any country decides to nuke us. no expression

lol great movie though

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 12:43 AM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Yeah some of the more restrained bits of humor worked...
The coldwar paranoia thing in the US at that time..
But virtually everything else I felt got drowned.... sad

Yeah agreed, the Indy quote in the tent was one of those better ones:
"Untie me, I'll give you a big hug" big grin

The 50's era was done well agreed there too.

All in all I think Indy still felt like Indy, sure times have changed, but he still had the same grin, the same smart ass remarks(most of them) and still an all around badass.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 02:53 AM
Squirrel Fart

Originally posted by Spartan005
yeah thats one point that I didn't like that a lot of critics complained about..... that the main characters never really felt like they were in danger. I think its because this one was aimed a bit more at kids then the previous installments.

Star Wars 2 anyone? Damn Lucas.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 03:43 AM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yeah, that's our way out: blame all the bad stuff in Indy 4 on Lucas, and give credit for the good bits to Spielberg.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 06:29 AM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Speilberg is to blame here definitely. But pattern thinking is abound these days.

Speilberg makes a shit, but flash looking "War of the worlds"....
Cruise is blamed.

Speilberg and his new "Mutt" ruined Transformers.
Bay (partially rightly) blamed.

Speilberg allows and is actively involved himeself in the ruination of Indy IV.... Lucas blamed.

When are we going to stop letting this guy piss simultaneously on all new ideas as well as the acoolades that he earned back in the day..?

The SW prequels are Citizen Kane next to this shit.
No more cash for Senor Speilbergo from me now.

This goes way beyond losing his edge.
He doesn't even know what the edge is nowadays.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 10:52 AM
queeq
Chaos

Huh... What about Minority Report, Munich and Catch me if you can.... Fine films, IMHO.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 12:13 PM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

I haven't seen Indy 4 yet, but I'll have my review later tonight.

Spielberg is a great director, but he's made his share of stinkers too. I would hardly call "Minority Report" a very good film, and neither was War of the Worlds for that matter.

Needlees to say, I don't know why it has become tradition to "blame Lucas for everything" He didn't even direct this film, yet he's still taking the heat. With Star Wars you guys all used to say "Well, Lucas is responsible since he ws the director." I guess you should all blame Rick McCullam for Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. It's ok to admit that ROTS was good.

I like George.

Last edited by Sith Master X on May 23rd, 2008 at 09:33 PM

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 09:30 PM
Sith Master X is currently offline Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well... I wonder what you say when you see it. I have mixed feelings about it.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 09:53 PM
Admiral Akbar

ROTS and Minority Report were both good films. MR better imo.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 09:55 PM
queeq
Chaos

VEry... And better than Indy 4.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 09:57 PM
exanda kane

I just want more Indiana Jones now.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 10:02 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

And a good one too.

Old Post May 24th, 2008 07:01 AM