KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Anime Ownage Thread!

Anime Ownage Thread!
Started by: Final Blaxican

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
The general pussification of Gohan in DBS is facepalm-worthy, tbh. The kid goes from getting increasingly greater levels of hyper-wank in every single arc of DBZ... Then DBS rolls around and he's mostly treated as fodder with almost no redeeming qualities(although the manga at least gave him a HUGE showing against Kefla in the ToP.)

Icing on the cake is the fact that Gohan wasn't even referenced in the Broly film, nor has he popped up in the Moro arc yet. Toriyama/Toei hates him now.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2019 02:34 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Sorry to say I told you so again, but ****ing called it as far back as the DBS RoF arc, that the writing was on the wall for Gohan and that he became the Yamaha of the Saiyan race. Then you had the Gohan prophets like Carver saying he would win the ToP and such, and granted they went back and forth with him at times, giving people hope like when he sparred with Goku prior to the ToP and Piccolo helping him surpass limits again, but in the end...

Part of the problem is there's no universally agreed way on how Gohan should be handled. Some are fine with pacifist/pussified Gohan, saying that this is what he was always meant to be, that he hates fighting, etc, and the other half being us who are continually disappointed with his portrayal. There just may not be enough support to bring him back into the spotlight, especially amongst Goku and Vegeta fans. IDK

And yeah, the lack of appearances during Broly and Moro is quite telling. Even Future Trunks is still getting exposure over him if you count Super Dragon Ball Heroes. Gohan's dead in the water.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2019 01:54 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Some are fine with pacifist/pussified Gohan, saying that this is what he was always meant to be, that he hates fighting, etc
This is the correct opinion. thumb up

Gohan is not his father, and that's fine. The only problem is that Toriyama simply isn't a good enough writer to write anything compelling featuring pacifist scholar Gohan (what the phuck is his actual job btw? He went to school and earned some degree but is it ever actually specified what he does? If not God Toriyama is such a retard who lucked onto a good premise at the right time lol) and would rather continue writing the same boring tournament arcs and high-powered meathead universe-saving superhero shit every single time. Gohan being the most gifted fighter but being the only one who doesn't actually have any particular desire to be the best fighter is by far Gohan's best quality as a character, and it is unfortunate that Toriyama has neither the desire nor the ability to explore that concept more than just having him vaguely being around and doing nothing except getting shit on by B tier villains.

Basically I'm saying that I don't like most shonen series these days. thumb up

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2019 02:25 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If they're going to have Gohan be a pacifist stay-at-home dad/scholar, that's fine... But don't drop easter eggs just before the ToP which imply that he's going to start hardcore training again in order to unlock a new super-secret ultimate form...

(please log in to view the image)

...And then not even acknowledge his existence again for a full two arcs, lol.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2019 02:45 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

I wish Gohan started going full out into training. Using the RoSaT and all that. And I hope he becomes Z Era Movie Vegeta level from all his hard training.

The character deserves nothing more.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2019 03:15 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by NemeBro
This is the correct opinion. thumb up

Gohan is not his father, and that's fine. The only problem is that Toriyama simply isn't a good enough writer to write anything compelling featuring pacifist scholar Gohan (what the phuck is his actual job btw? He went to school and earned some degree but is it ever actually specified what he does? If not God Toriyama is such a retard who lucked onto a good premise at the right time lol) and would rather continue writing the same boring tournament arcs and high-powered meathead universe-saving superhero shit every single time. Gohan being the most gifted fighter but being the only one who doesn't actually have any particular desire to be the best fighter is by far Gohan's best quality as a character, and it is unfortunate that Toriyama has neither the desire nor the ability to explore that concept more than just having him vaguely being around and doing nothing except getting shit on by B tier villains.

Basically I'm saying that I don't like most shonen series these days. thumb up

Gohan doesn't have to be his father but when he has saiyan blood, one would think they'd still do a bit more with him than they have. Honestly though, this all only further solidifies the notion for me that current Gohan would be better fit for a different kind of series/anime (slice of life or something perhaps) than shonen or Dragon Ball particularly which is mostly about fighting. As for Toriyama not being the kind capable of writing him properly, no shit? I don't think they really specified his degree/major, no.

Originally posted by Galan007
If they're going to have Gohan be a pacifist stay-at-home dad/scholar, that's fine... But don't drop easter eggs just before the ToP which imply that he's going to start hardcore training again in order to unlock a new super-secret ultimate form...

Yeah, if they say they're gonna do something with him/have him say he's gonna do something like unlock an ultimate form that no one has seen before, then you better follow through with it, not stop halfway.

It's the inconsistency that kills him/makes him halfassed for people on both sides of the argument.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2019 04:18 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Oldschool perv Roshi needs to come back:

laughing out loud

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2019 03:17 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Females these days aren't so forgiving or shy as in Kamesennin's days.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2019 03:57 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Females these days aren't so forgiving or shy as in Kamesennin's days.

Hey, they had Lunch. She'd tear apart a feminazi, their critical theory, signs, and title ix protection (Which doesn't exist in Japan) are no match for her guns.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2019 05:40 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

I was wondering how the effect of the gravity gun from Gantz looked like, kind of odd how I forgot that it partially spaghettified aliens.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2019 10:39 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Old Post Apr 20th, 2019 06:18 PM
cdtm

That looks like a widescreen curved tv.

This manga was made in 1991. TV's were 4:3 back then. The bigger sets were projections, weren't they? They looked nothing like that.

How did the writer imagine the kinds of sets we have today all the way back in 1991?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 30th, 2019 03:27 AM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Old Post Jul 11th, 2019 06:21 PM
cdtm

Poor kid. He just learned Chuck Norris is a lie.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2019 05:29 AM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

We all know who the real Japanese Chuck Norris is.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2019 11:37 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Last edited by Galan007 on Aug 4th, 2019 at 10:35 PM

Old Post Aug 4th, 2019 10:32 PM
cdtm

Originally posted by Galan007

Makes sense if his "ultimate form" is a family man with a stable job.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2019 05:18 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That would certainly be a form that no one has ever seen in DB. thumb up

Old Post Aug 28th, 2019 05:26 PM
cdtm

A villian and terrible human being, with admirable and noble qualities. This sort of nuance is one of the reasons I like manga over western comics, with their heavy social restrictions against "glorifying violence" and such imposed on writers. You can even have a noble Nazi in Japan, which simply could not happen here.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2019 01:49 PM
cdtm

King's weekend like weekday.

You know, you'd think Saitama's super dexterity would lend itself to video games.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2019 03:43 PM