KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Indiana Jones » Temple of Doom VS Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

My favorite movie is....
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Temple of Doom 32 71.11%
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 11 24.44%
They're both equally good/bad 2 4.44%
Total: 45 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Temple of Doom VS Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Started by: Spartan005

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Spartan005

Cool Temple of Doom VS Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Both movies are considered by most people to be the worst of the series, so which one do you prefer?

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post Jun 14th, 2008 08:05 PM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

ToD

Old Post Jun 14th, 2008 09:38 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

it's hard to chose but perhaps Temple is a bit worse

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Jun 14th, 2008 09:45 PM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Nah..

Old Post Jun 15th, 2008 02:25 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Temple is the way superior, way more classic Indy Movie.

Without a doubt.

KOTCS can suck my balls at the best of times,

but especially when compared to "Temple of Doom".
(or any other of the original Trilogy)

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jun 17th, 2008 10:58 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

Crystal Skull imo. Temple of Doom's one saving grace was short round pwning nubs. But I liked both.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2008 09:06 PM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

KOTC had no scene coming close to the hanging bridge scene in ToD. That alone gives ToD the victory.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2008 09:43 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Or the comedy of the spike chamber...
Or that cool shoot out in Club Obi wan...
Or the mountain sequence (which still is more believeable that the shitty reprise they attempted in the latest.)
Or chilled Monkey brains....
Or charismatic, well written villians and sidekicks...
Or the movie being about Jones... (rather than some punk **** kid we just had forcibly introduced to us- short round was a walk in the park compared to Speilberg's "new special little friend" )
Or a genuine sense of peril/danger for the protagonists/heroes.

Or an exciting title.

Yes.

"Temple of doom" even sounds more impressive than "The kingdom of the crystal skull".

TOD all the way for me there.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2008 12:07 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Charismatic is probably the last word I would use to describe Willie or Short Round, and if the evil bald guy (sorry, totally blanking on his name) has to resort on all that blood drinking/spell/voodoo-esque methods to gain followers, he's probably not that charismatic...but he's still got a little bit more charm than Donovan from The Last Crusade, lol.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2008 04:16 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Mola Ram.

Willie and Short Round sucked. But John Hurt's character and even Ray Winstone's were complete nonsense and irrelevant. That kinda evens those two out. Leaves us with all of Sadako's points. ToD wins.

Old Post Jun 18th, 2008 08:49 PM
Plutonic_Hat90

If nothing else Temple wins because Mola Ram was probably one of the scariest villains in movie history. Unlike general Spalko, who's most threatening scene was crushing an ant between her thighs.

no expression

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 01:40 AM
Plutonic_Hat90 is currently offline Click here to Send Plutonic_Hat90 a Private Message Find more posts by Plutonic_Hat90 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Which was sexy though. wink

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 05:58 AM
sindahouse

I don't quite understand what ppl's problem is. In the Lost Ark, they open an ark, weird things happen, people cook and die. Temple of Doom, a guys heart is ripped out, and he's still alive, Indy goes for one hell of a "roller coaster" ride, and then indy decides to cut a bridge in half, across two cliffs. In the Last Crusade, indy takes on the Nazi's, walks across nothing, finds the FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH etc etc etc...

Peoples complaint about the new movie... "Ah, it was too far fetched."...

Hello, ITS ALWAYS TOO BLOODY FAR FETCHED...

I swear man, people expect too much from these classics. I loved it through and through. I don't care that survived at atomic explosion in a fridge, that his son learned how to be Tarzan, and that there are Aliens in the flick.... ITS ALWAYS BEEN BLOODY FAR FETCHED.

Critics!!! Honestly, just think b4 u speak.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 11:46 AM
sindahouse is currently offline Click here to Send sindahouse a Private Message Find more posts by sindahouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Oh the irony of that statement.
They already did, hence the conclusions made.

The other films walked the fine line between grounded believeable-at-not-too-much-of-a-stretch almost reality as far as Hero vulnerability was concerned, and the fanciful situations in action movies.

And on that last movie, the balance was upset and it didn't thrill, as those with perception and intelligence realised that this movie was a cynical grim parody of itself, and that we don't get tougher as we approach our mid sixties. Certainly not tough enough to withstand a nuke and being thrown a mile through the air and smashing down an embankment. From that point those who feel it important that their intelligence isn't insulted grossly during a film at repeated intervals would naturally have a grim view of said proceedings.

The bad reviews have been well earned on this movie.

Sorry for the tone, but I don't like being 'caps'ed at. smile

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Jun 19th, 2008 at 02:50 PM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 02:48 PM
Plutonic_Hat90

quote: (post)
Originally posted by sindahouse
I don't quite understand what ppl's problem is. In the Lost Ark, they open an ark, weird things happen, people cook and die. Temple of Doom, a guys heart is ripped out, and he's still alive, Indy goes for one hell of a "roller coaster" ride, and then indy decides to cut a bridge in half, across two cliffs. In the Last Crusade, indy takes on the Nazi's, walks across nothing, finds the FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH etc etc etc...

Peoples complaint about the new movie... "Ah, it was too far fetched."...

Hello, ITS ALWAYS TOO BLOODY FAR FETCHED...

I swear man, people expect too much from these classics. I loved it through and through. I don't care that survived at atomic explosion in a fridge, that his son learned how to be Tarzan, and that there are Aliens in the flick.... ITS ALWAYS BEEN BLOODY FAR FETCHED.

Critics!!! Honestly, just think b4 u speak.

Ok but here's the deal. In raiders you have one scene thats far fetched, with that being the opening of the ark obviously. In temple there's the heart part, which was just awesome and still is one of the scariest scenes in movie history IMO (I was 7 when I first saw it) And in Last Crusade its <insert name here> rapidly aging along with the walking over nothing scene.

Then lets skip ahead to KOTCS:

Nuke/refrigerator scene
Mutt swinging through the jungle and then miraculously jumping back onto the jeep
Marion gunning the amphibious vehicle thing off the cliff, which lands on a tree, which slowly lowers them into the water, and then swings back killing several russians...
Aliens.
Falling off of 3 waterfalls, which would have been fine if someone got hurt or killed to show that they were actually in danger.
Aliens.

Its WAAAY more over the top then the original 3

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 03:54 PM
Plutonic_Hat90 is currently offline Click here to Send Plutonic_Hat90 a Private Message Find more posts by Plutonic_Hat90 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I don't think any of the Indiana Jones movies can be weighed against each other based on over-the-top moments or how far-fetched something is. All action movies are far-fetched. Sure, I'll give you the fact that I cringed when Mutt swings along with the little monkeys. But the 3 other movies are so far-fetched in that Indy ALWAYS comes out on top. You can even survive an Indy movie by extension. As long as you are on his side and don't double-cross him, you live. In spite of snakes, bugs, rats, Nazis, crazy cult people, a huge shirtless man punching you closer and closer to a propeller, jumping out of a plane on an inflatable life raft, being shot at constantly, poisonous darts blown at you by over 100 guys, driving a boat between two ships, flying a plane you don't know how to land and relying on seagulls to save the day, coming face to face with Hitler, and slicing an already questionable swinging bridge in two... you see what I mean?

KOTCS is in no way more far-fetched than the other movies, so to argue if it is better than Temple of Doom, you have to use a different criteria.

Last edited by willofthewisp on Jun 19th, 2008 at 04:50 PM

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 04:44 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Plutonic_Hat90

quote: (post)
Originally posted by willofthewisp
I don't think any of the Indiana Jones movies can be weighed against each other based on over-the-top moments or how far-fetched something is. All action movies are far-fetched. Sure, I'll give you the fact that I cringed when Mutt swings along with the little monkeys. But the 3 other movies are so far-fetched in that Indy ALWAYS comes out on top. You can even survive an Indy movie by extension. As long as you are on his side and don't double-cross him, you live. In spite of snakes, bugs, rats, Nazis, crazy cult people, a huge shirtless man punching you closer and closer to a propeller, jumping out of a plane on an inflatable life raft, being shot at constantly, poisonous darts blown at you by over 100 guys, driving a boat between two ships, flying a plane you don't know how to land and relying on seagulls to save the day, coming face to face with Hitler, and slicing an already questionable swinging bridge in two... you see what I mean?

KOTCS is in no way more far-fetched than the other movies, so to argue if it is better than Temple of Doom, you have to use a different criteria.

yes the other ones are also far-fetched, but KOTCS is easily the most far-fetched. But if you want me to use different criteria then fine, these are all the other reasons why I didn't enjoy this movie nearly as much as the other ones:

The villain was not at all threatening.
It never felt like anyone in the movie was in danger.
The overall tone of the film seemed to be aimed more at kids then adults and old fans of the movies.
There was WAY too much CGI, which usually I don't mind however the Indy series was always known for its awesome stuntwork so that kind of sucked.
The ant scene was a blatant mummy rip off... which is ironic because a lot of people say that the mummy series is a rip off of indiana jones. Aliens.
Some terrible jokes/one liners
The ending was exactly the same as Raiders and Crusade: bad guys find mystical item or whatever, use it and then die.
Aliens.
And finally WAY too much CGI

Sorry, I just like to reinforce some points lol

Compared to most action/adventure movies that come out nowadays, KOTCS still blows most of the competition out of the water (especially national treasure) but as far as Indy movies go, it sure as hell isn't up to par even with the sequels IMO

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 06:45 PM
queeq
Chaos

KOTCS also expains too much. That's what makes it farfetched and not very mysterious either. In the other three very little is explained and left to the imagination.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2008 10:22 PM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

This is going to sound more argumentative than it is, but can you provide an example, queeq?

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2008 02:37 PM
queeq
Chaos

Well, KOTC is the example.

Ask yourself: how do we know the Ark was the genuine Ark? Due to some uncheckable mysterious events... that's it. Nothing much hard evidencewise.
The Shankara stones: what are they? What do they do? Bring prosperity... very very vague. A true McGuffin.
The Grail: what about it? A simple cup that gives you everlasting life if you stay inside a cave for the remainder of your life.

The items lead to lessons learned, they themselves matter not.
In KOTC there's the skull, it comes from Roswell from aliens. It can read minds, give power over minds, it leads to the spaceship of the owenrs who taught men to grow crops and be civilised. And then the spaceship takes off. But there was one, it's clear aliens visited the earth, taught us all we know and had superior intelligence and technology. All this is extremely factual in comparison to the other three. And that makes it rather lame.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2008 04:40 PM