KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Diablo III [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Diablo III [OFFICIAL THREAD]
Started by: Vinny Valentine

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Well the servers are up and running right now, maybe try again. Good luck.

Did.

Now Level 7?

Game is very much like Diablo II. Few differences, of course. I guess people cannot complain since it's just an update to the game they know and love.

Seems like it would be much more fun playing with other people.

So far, I would give this game a 6 out of 10. Nostalgia bumps it up from a 5.

Old Post May 23rd, 2012 11:17 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Actually, I'd say that "it's just an update" is a very, very good reason to complain. It's why I haven't gotten it yet - why spend $60 on a minor graphical update when I can get D2 and not have to worry about irritating DRM for $20?

But, you know, Blizzard fans...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post May 23rd, 2012 01:17 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I wouldn't say "minor" at all. Nor is it solely a graphical update; that's a pretty simplistic way of looking at it, imo.

Yes, there's nostalgia and a feeling of familiarity, but I don't see that as a negative thing, necessarily.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 23rd, 2012 01:47 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Must say, battle.net is having a really bad time of it in the EU. Servers were down for hours on Sunday and I just got kicked off again mid-game and no-one can log in. The fans are throwing a fit.

(I see the auction house has been uplugged for now as well, though as I can;t even play right now that's trivial)

Anyway, I like the game, regardless of similar it is to what has come before. It's still an upgrade, and more than just a graphical one. Nothing fundamental has changed about the gameplay but that's really not that bad. Enough has changed for me to enjoy it separately from D2.

It's not game of the year but it's definitely worth my money, and the DRM thing is an irrelevance to me- games being online is going to be the increasing norm and that suits me just fine. I played Guild Wars that way for years.

They do need to sort bnet though.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 23rd, 2012 at 07:41 PM

Old Post May 23rd, 2012 07:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

‘Diablo III’ sets PC sales record."

Blizzard Entertainment says the long-awaited RPG click-fest has set a record as the fastest-selling PC game of all time. Figuring out exactly how many copies the developer sold, though, gets a little complicated.

In the first 24 hours, the game sold 3.5 million copies, alone enough to push it past the previous record holder, Blizzard's own World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugge...-172649586.html

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 23rd, 2012 08:20 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Peach
Actually, I'd say that "it's just an update" is a very, very good reason to complain. It's why I haven't gotten it yet - why spend $60 on a minor graphical update when I can get D2 and not have to worry about irritating DRM for $20?

But, you know, Blizzard fans...

All excellent points.

I am only playing this game because it's just, basically, Diablo 2.5 with a graphics update. It is so extremely similar that I really did not have to adjust the way I play (about a year back, I did a Diablo 2 and expansion run through, to get ready for Diablo 3..so it is all very fresh in my mind including the lore).

I do miss stat allocation, however. sad

Old Post May 24th, 2012 01:11 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I like the flexibility that your character has in this game. Being able to alter builds whenever you want and change the way the character plays on the fly is a lot of fun and a huge upgrade over the forced planning and the punishment of making a small error in your build in the second game.

Stat allocation was kind of a myth anyways. There was no sense of creativity in it, you either looked up the most efficient way to allocate points online and just copied the online guide, or else your character was subpar. None of that here. I didn't like that the stat allocation was missing at first either, but I think it was a smart move that goes a long way of strengthening the game's attempt to reward experimentation and creativity in how you play.

Old Post May 24th, 2012 01:51 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I like the flexibility that your character has in this game. Being able to alter builds whenever you want and change the way the character plays on the fly is a lot of fun and a huge upgrade over the forced planning and the punishment of making a small error in your build in the second game.

[QUOTE=13863114]Originally posted by BackFire
[B]There was no sense of creativity in it, you either looked up the most efficient way to allocate points online and just copied the online guide, or else your character was subpar.

I did not do any of that. Of course, I played by myself all the time. big grin I just played and enjoyed playing. No need to overcomplicate things with online guides unless you are obsessed with the game. I did that a bit with Skyrim: obsessed to the point of finding best builds by reviewing dozens of videos and guides.

None of that here. I didn't like that the stat allocation was missing at first either, but I think it was a smart move that goes a long way of strengthening the game's attempt to reward experimentation and creativity in how you play.

But what if you wanted to build an odd character with super duper high strength but no dexterity? There's still fun in stat allocation especially if you play for fun with friends.

Old Post May 24th, 2012 01:57 AM
BackFire

You can still build odd characters just not through stats. You can make a melee wizard or a ranged Barbarian, things like that.

Actually you can still make odd characters based on stats. Most of your stats will come from stats on the gear you use. If you want a high dexterity Barb, you can do that.

In the end I think the way you create character builds are a lot more fun and clever than it was in D2.

Old Post May 24th, 2012 02:23 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

You can still build odd characters just not through stats. You can make a melee wizard or a ranged Barbarian, things like that. more fun and clever than it was in D2.

I did not know that.

I want a ranged barbarian. Can I use bows, eventually?

Old Post May 24th, 2012 03:42 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

You can still build odd characters just not through stats. You can make a melee wizard or a ranged Barbarian, things like that.

Actually you can still make odd characters based on stats. Most of your stats will come from stats on the gear you use. If you want a high dexterity Barb, you can do that.

In the end I think the way you create character builds are a lot more fun and clever than it was in D2.
thumb up You just have to play for a bit and then you start to see how many options there really are

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post May 24th, 2012 03:47 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Originally posted by dadudemon
I did not know that.

I want a ranged barbarian. Can I use bows, eventually?

I'm not sure. I don't think you can use bows. But you have various skills that are ranged attacks.

Old Post May 24th, 2012 07:43 AM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Belial.... Inferno... Son... Of... A....!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;-&$;:/&$)-:;@$&-

Old Post May 26th, 2012 07:16 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Belial.... Inferno... Son... Of... A....!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
;-&$;:/&$)-:;@$&-

Getting one-shotted?

Old Post May 26th, 2012 07:18 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Inferno Belial is an effed up fight. I can get thru Ph1 just fine but Ph2 is retardedly stooopid!

Old Post May 26th, 2012 07:26 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Top inferno classes in order:
1) Demon Hunter
2) Wizard
3) Witch Doctor
4) Monk
5) Barbarian

Old Post May 27th, 2012 12:53 PM
dadudemon

I have been playing this for a while.

It is definitely better than Diablo II but it feels very much like a newer, upgraded Diablo II. Even the sound effects are familiar. I of course still miss the stat allocation system. sad Man, if they had that, it would be more awesome. big grin I do enjoy the fact that I do not have to allocate them on my own at times, but I wish I could do it most of the time.

Full review will occur after I beat the game.

Old Post May 27th, 2012 03:23 PM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by dadudemon
I have been playing this for a while.

It is definitely better than Diablo II but it feels very much like a newer, upgraded Diablo II. Even the sound effects are familiar. I of course still miss the stat allocation system. sad Man, if they had that, it would be more awesome. big grin I do enjoy the fact that I do not have to allocate them on my own at times, but I wish I could do it most of the time.

Full review will occur after I beat the game.

Path of Exile uses Diablo 2 sounds even more. Oh man, what a game.

Old Post May 27th, 2012 03:49 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Finally got around to picking it up today, wheeee.

Battletag is Verene#1464, btw.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Last edited by Peach on May 28th, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Old Post May 27th, 2012 11:31 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cyner
Too little too late

I still haven't beat the normal mode... derp. life takes up a lot of time.

Old Post May 28th, 2012 04:52 AM
Cyner is currently offline Click here to Send Cyner a Private Message Find more posts by Cyner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote