KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Terminator Movies » Terminator 4: Salvation

Terminator 4: Salvation
Started by: Vinny Valentine

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jinXed by JaNx

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Good movie.

It was fun to watch. Action scenes were awesome. Special effects were amazing (because they didn't seem to be all CGI looking) and the scene were Connor steals the bike was great......

The first half wasn't all that great, but once Connor started to become the character I thought he would turn out then it started to be fun.

I agree. Those are pretty much my thoughts exactly. I was a little disappointed with the story. It seemed like the writing was banking to much on sequels and didn't bother to properly flush out it's characters. The story also seemed to get lost and even forgotten about amongst all of the action but it managed to tie things up fairly well by the end.

I really cannot give enough praise to the action in this movie. It was some of the cleanest looking action i have seen in a very long time, at least on this grand of a scale. I also greatly appreciated the editing. I can't tell you how sick i am of action editing these days. It's so hard to follow action in movies anymore. When the camera isn't blurry or the lighting is to dark, the editing constantly cuts to close ups. It was great to see what was going on from several wide perspective shots. What ever happened to these wide angle shots? Michael Bay can learn a thing or two from this movie laughing out loud This type of filming and editing would help those autobots out a lot.

The only problem i had with the movie, well, the only two problems i had with the movie was the soundtrack and the overall tone of the movie. the soundtrack was just flat and uninspired. I was constantly waiting for the score to kick in and get my adrenaline going, like in T-2. Remember when Connor was being chased by the t-1000 while riding his dirt bike? Yeah, now that's a great score. It's alright though because the action is so grand it doesn't need a score to intensify it. This brings me to the tone of the film. Things never felt very dyer nor did the world feel dark or hopeless. From the beginning of the movie i actually felt quite safe and never felt as though, the human resistance was on the brink of extinction. I think, this is due to the PG-13 rating. Fun movie though, definitely one to see in the cinema...,if you like action.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 11:01 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

As in all of the movies the terminator grabs and throws the hero around, so if he can get a hold of them just snap their neck instead of tossing them around. but then there wouldn't be a movie.

Old Post May 26th, 2009 02:39 AM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I have'nt seen the movie won't be until next month but

a question for this movie how does skynet know who kyle is ?

Old Post May 26th, 2009 09:02 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

good question, my guess would be that since they may have records from the past (police 1984 records) then they would know what he looks like?

Old Post May 26th, 2009 04:15 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

Originally posted by darthmaul1
good question, my guess would be that since they may have records from the past (police 1984 records) then they would know what he looks like?
I was thinking about it, perhaps when the TX came back and infected all of those machines and the virus or whatnot, perhaps she relayed all the information about the past that she knew, time travelling included.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Old Post May 26th, 2009 06:50 PM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

Saw it yesterday. Watched T1 again today.

Really miss the 1980s action/horror style. The music, the ambience, the camera-work...NO CGI. It looks so much more realistic and scary. Then again, that was set in our time while this new one's in the imagined future.

Thought T4 was ok...wasn't as bad as RottenTomatoes and critics have been calling it. It woulda been nice to hear a little more references to the original stories though.

These are just nitpicks.

For instance, having Kyle mention making plastique explosives as a child would have been nice. They should have used Sarah's original recording instead of have Linda Hamilton dub a new one with the exact same lines.

Liked how they used Arnold circa 1980s face/hair instead of his 90s older looking face for the cameo.

Overall, not bad considering I was expecting it to be horrible according to reviews.

Old Post May 27th, 2009 06:08 AM
SpyCspider is currently offline Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stickman618

ok here's my review

first of all, it definitely saved T3, the casting director, or whoever, finally got a clue and decided not to cast a pussy as John Conner

where as the references in T3 came off as cheesy, the ones here were welcomed and appreciated, but i think they over did it in the last fight sequence, and they lingered too long when John said "i'll be back", but otherwise ok

people might be wondering, "why does SkyeNet want to kill Reese and Conner? right now Conner is not leader of the resistance and Reese is a nobody", well i'll go with darthmaul1 on this one, and they'd know what he looks like from the police tapes of his interrogation and seeing as to how they're smart computers i'm sure they can calculate what he looks like when he's younger, same with John, CyberDyne security tapes and just figure out what he looks like when he's older

also people might be wondering, " why didn't the T-800 melt when covered in liquid metal? it/he did in T2", well here's how it is, as soon as the metal left the furnace, the metal begins to cool, low enough that it doesn't melt him or fry his cpu. plus it looked pretty thick, the one that melted him in T2 had a much thinner consistency implying it was much much hotter

and i agree with what people say about the soundtrack, it wasn't that great, but a soundtrack is only to intensify the action and relay the emotion, but the action was enough for me

i also liked how they showed Reese's ingenuity, setting all those traps and what not, and i wonder if he said "come with me if you want to live" to that little girl too

but there's one thing i have to know!!! if all T-800's have nuclear reactors why didn't the ones in T1 and T2 explode, though i do remember Arnie in T2 talking about his power source lasting over a hundred years, can't remember what he said it was though, i'll watch it again later

Overview:
good action
poor soundtrack
story was alright but not spectacular
good references to previous movies, though a few of them were cheesy
good casting(Bryce Dallas Howard is as beautiful as always)

T1- 9/10, it was more in the horror genre, and it delivered, though i don't understand why a man from the future would have an 80's hair style

T2:JD- 10/10, that's right i think it's perfect and has been and always will be my favorite movie of all time

T3:ROTM- 1/10, i liked the explosions

T4: S 8/10, for the above reasons

Old Post May 29th, 2009 01:07 PM
stickman618 is currently offline Click here to Send stickman618 a Private Message Find more posts by stickman618 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

Originally posted by stickman618

but there's one thing i have to know!!! if all T-800's have nuclear reactors why didn't the ones in T1 and T2 explode, though i do remember Arnie in T2 talking about his power source lasting over a hundred years, can't remember what he said it was though, i'll watch it again later

I think only T-850s (Terminator 3) are equipped with those nuclear power sources. They only showed Arnold having that in the 3rd movie. The T-800s (Terminator 1 and 2) didn't specify whether they had those same fuel cells.

But I'm not sure..i got this info off of Wiki.

Old Post May 30th, 2009 03:23 AM
SpyCspider is currently offline Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stickman618

that's what i thought too, but in this movie John stated that they are fuel cells for the T-800's

Old Post May 30th, 2009 05:22 AM
stickman618 is currently offline Click here to Send stickman618 a Private Message Find more posts by stickman618 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Film has taken a huge tumble in it's second week, only pulling in $16 million. The mass of critical discontent and unenthusiastic word of mouth are doing it in.
The last film did just average at the box office and wasn't that great. This one seems in danger of getting buried quickly.
They should respect James Cameron's wishes and stop making these -they're not succeeding without him. Or consider a reboot - the time warping story is just devouring it's own tail.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 31st, 2009 06:31 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by roughrider
Film has taken a huge tumble in it's second week, only pulling in $16 million. The mass of critical discontent and unenthusiastic word of mouth are doing it in.
The last film did just average at the box office and wasn't that great. This one seems in danger of getting buried quickly.
They should respect James Cameron's wishes and stop making these -they're not succeeding without him. Or consider a reboot - the time warping story is just devouring it's own tail.

this will still make a ton of money, to date nearly $ 91 million, and it hasn't even opened up overseas

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 31st, 2009 09:08 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
this will still make a ton of money, to date nearly $ 91 million, and it hasn't even opened up overseas

It will make enough overseas to just barely cover their costs. They don't make these films just to break even - not the definition of a franchise. See 'The Golden Compass' as an example; doing poorly in North America was enough to shelve the idea of a continuing series.

Old Post May 31st, 2009 10:50 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
stickman618

i don't know why it's doing that badly

it's not as bad as people say it is, especially on rotten tomatoes, i no longer trust that site, it gave T3 a 70% rating

Old Post Jun 1st, 2009 12:53 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

It will make enough overseas to just barely cover their costs. They don't make these films just to break even - not the definition of a franchise. See 'The Golden Compass' as an example; doing poorly in North America was enough to shelve the idea of a continuing series.

but, though the studio is happy since they are already planning part 5.. they knew the risks going in when they put this in the month of may of this year, i will not be at all surprised when T5 comes out, that it come out in a month were not much will be its competition..

Originally posted by stickman618
i don't know why it's doing that badly

it's not as bad as people say it is, especially on rotten tomatoes, i no longer trust that site, it gave T3 a 70% rating

that site is like so many others where i do not pay attention too

Old Post Jun 1st, 2009 03:49 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

but, though the studio is happy since they are already planning part 5.. they knew the risks going in when they put this in the month of may of this year, i will not be at all surprised when T5 comes out, that it come out in a month were not much will be its competition..

The studio always says they're happy, and are planning a continuation.
After Godzilla underperformed in 1998, Sony was still boastful and saying a sequel would still come out. Well, it never did.
And that sequel to Superman Returns, after all the positive studio talk? Scrapped. A reboot is pending.

I was surprised they tried again with Terminator after the last one, which did passably well considering the enormous cost. Going ahead without Arnold, they're faring even worse. T4 is on pace to gross less that HULK did in 2003, and that was enough to label the film a major disappointment/bomb. The Hulk eventually returned, after severing any ties with the 2003 film.

Maybe there will be more Terminator films in the future - though there's a behind-the-scenes fight among rival companies (MGM, Warners etc.) as to who has the rights. But as I stated earlier, they will probably look around and see a reboot is the only way to go now; James Bond, Batman & Star Trek have all benefited hugely from starting over. Arnold is too old and can't come back; wipe the history slate clean with Sarah & John Connor, and find a new way to do this concept, for a new generation.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2009 02:58 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

The studio always says they're happy, and are planning a continuation.
After Godzilla underperformed in 1998, Sony was still boastful and saying a sequel would still come out. Well, it never did.
And that sequel to Superman Returns, after all the positive studio talk? Scrapped. A reboot is pending.

I was surprised they tried again with Terminator after the last one, which did passably well considering the enormous cost. Going ahead without Arnold, they're faring even worse. T4 is on pace to gross less that HULK did in 2003, and that was enough to label the film a major disappointment/bomb. The Hulk eventually returned, after severing any ties with the 2003 film.

Maybe there will be more Terminator films in the future - though there's a behind-the-scenes fight among rival companies (MGM, Warners etc.) as to who has the rights. But as I stated earlier, they will probably look around and see a reboot is the only way to go now; James Bond, Batman & Star Trek have all benefited hugely from starting over. Arnold is too old and can't come back; wipe the history slate clean with Sarah & John Connor, and find a new way to do this concept, for a new generation.

Supes Returns had problems from the get go, thats way that is rebooting, The Hulk will always be a problem because there will be always a decision to CGI him or have him played by a bodybuilder..

As for Terminator, this film is going to be successful and they will go ahead and make T5 and T6.. I highly doubt they will reboot this.. and speaking of Arnold once he finally leaves office, he will most likely start training again and do a film or two before he starts up with T5

Old Post Jun 1st, 2009 07:06 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Supes Returns had problems from the get go, thats way that is rebooting, The Hulk will always be a problem because there will be always a decision to CGI him or have him played by a bodybuilder..

As for Terminator, this film is going to be successful and they will go ahead and make T5 and T6.. I highly doubt they will reboot this.. and speaking of Arnold once he finally leaves office, he will most likely start training again and do a film or two before he starts up with T5

You know Arnold is 62 now, right? You think he'll be back again at this role when he's pushing 70? roll eyes (sarcastic)

You continued assertion this is going to be a big success is in denial of the box office facts (are you a studio chief in your day job?)

Look around - besides seeing new beginnings for James Bond, Batman & Star Trek, there have been other announcements for reboots: Predator( by Robert Rodriguez), Robocop (Darren Aronofsky) and a prequel for Alien. Terminator is going to follow; that's my prediction. They're heading nowhere with their present course.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2009 10:04 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

You know Arnold is 62 now, right? You think he'll be back again at this role when he's pushing 70? roll eyes (sarcastic)

You continued assertion this is going to be a big success is in denial of the box office facts (are you a studio chief in your day job?)

Look around - besides seeing new beginnings for James Bond, Batman & Star Trek, there have been other announcements for reboots: Predator( by Robert Rodriguez), Robocop (Darren Aronofsky) and a prequel for Alien. Terminator is going to follow; that's my prediction. They're heading nowhere with their present course.

Arnold is going to be in this.. In what capacity, I do not know at this point...

No I am not denial, this film is successful, just because it is not making TDK type money, doesn't mean it is a flop...

You seem to think a reboot is always the answer but it is not.. I told several friends of mine that this is will make Batman Begins type money and you know what, Batman Begins wasn't that all successful either, but than came TDK.. I am not saying that T5 will make $ 1 billion dollars, but Terminator Salvation is the start of something great.. and I for one cannot wait until T5 and T6 and quite T7 come out

Old Post Jun 1st, 2009 10:15 PM
SpyCspider

You seem to think a reboot is always the answer but it is not.. I told several friends of mine that this is will make Batman Begins type money and you know what, Batman Begins wasn't that all successful either, but than came TDK.. I am not saying that T5 will make $ 1 billion dollars, but Terminator Salvation is the start of something great.. and I for one cannot wait until T5 and T6 and quite T7 come out

Except Batman Begins was actually critically acclaimed everywhere despite only modest financial success. That's clear enough signal to go ahead and make a sequel.

I'm sure they'll make a T5, but right now all I hear are flat trumpet sounds with T4.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2009 11:01 PM
SpyCspider

lol and i don't think arnold wants anything to do with this franchise once he's 70. He's not that desperate. Sure, lending his face for CGI in T4 was a gift to fans, but he's not actively seeking to be in anything Terminator-related.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2009 11:03 PM