KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Multiple Command Crews?

Multiple Command Crews?
Started by: Scoobless

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Scoobless
sselboocS

Multiple Command Crews?

Shouldn't starships have more than one command crew? Whenever you see the Enterprise D/E's bridge you almost always see Picard, Riker, Worf, Data, etc, etc... other than Data these people all need time to sleep and time off from duty, so who commands the ship while they're asleep or on a break? (as they all appear to work/sleep at the same time)

They should have a night shift/day shift rotation of at least the 4 main officers, with the other crew spots on three 8 hour rotations or four 6 hour rotations.

I know shift rotations have been mentioned once or twice in various series, but the issue of a relief Captain or night shift Captain has never cropped up.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Aug 8th, 2008 01:31 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

It's been on a couple of times. In several episodes of TNG you see Data be the night shift captain. But I guess there is probably some other officers who aren't regular characters who take command.

I wonder who takes command when they do stupid things like in Nemesis where the away team consisted of everybody (Picard, Riker, Troi, Data, Worf, Crusher, La Forge)

I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if I really am alive.
Check my Bio for my stories [Last Updated - 27th July 2008]

Old Post Aug 9th, 2008 05:58 PM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

They usually have the next in charge take the bridge. And extras manning the other stations.

What I don't get is sometimes they have the "night shift" scenes and the person talks about how boring it is like it's actually night. Do they park or go someplace safe while the main crew sleeps or is the universe pretty quiet after eleven?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2008 05:08 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kinneary
Ex scientia tridens

More than likely, crews of the ship work in 24 hour shifts, so a 'night crew' would be almost the same as a skeleton crew. You wouldn't have the same amount of people working around the clock, instead you would have a main crew, which works during the 'day', and other crews who take up the evening/night shifts. So, someone who is in command of the night shift would have less responsibilities, since their crew complement would be smaller. After all, you can't have the Enterprise zipping around the galaxy and doing her regular missions while the CO and XO are asleep in their quarters. Not to mention fully manning a ship 24/7 would require an IMMENSE amount of personnel. Day/Night crews are make perfect sense.

And as others have posted, in TNG, DS9, and Voyager, there have been night shifts shown.

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during an interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Old Post Aug 10th, 2008 05:23 AM
Kinneary is currently offline Click here to Send Kinneary a Private Message Find more posts by Kinneary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote