KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Sci-fi vs. Fantasy

Sci-fi or Fantasy
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Fantasy 1 9.09%
Sci-fi 4 36.36%
I like both equally/can't decide 6 54.55%
I don't like either 0 0%
Total: 11 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sci-fi vs. Fantasy
Started by: Endless Mike

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Sci-fi vs. Fantasy

What do you prefer?

Fantasy (as in magic, swords and sorcery, etc.)

or

Sci-fi (as in aliens, robots, ray guns, etc.)

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 12:10 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Definitely scifi. Science rules...though lately, I've been getting into "science fantasy."

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 07:08 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Antaeus

I like both very much.
I chose Sci-fi because of Star Wars

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 10:45 PM
Antaeus is currently offline Click here to Send Antaeus a Private Message Find more posts by Antaeus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Science Fiction/ Fantasy

Difference?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2008 11:50 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

RagesRemorse - Lord of the Rings ain't no Sci-Fi film darling stick out tongue

Science Fiction for me.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2008 06:06 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

I suppose but differentiating Science fiction from Fantasy is like differentiating the thriller genre from the suspense genre. I do not see any difference. I've always seen Fantasy as a kind of sub genre of science fiction. I know ALL movie's are fantasy but the fantasy elements we are talking about here, i believe are found in every Science Fiction film.

Maybe there are three categories, Science fiction, Fantasy and Science fiction fantasy but surely, that would be splitting hairs that have already been split, eh smile.

Maybe someone can describe the difference between Science Fiction and fantasy. I've always thought that science fiction movie's were movie's that had an altered perspective on reality or time. Are Science Fiction movie's fantasy films that are still rooted in reality? If so, that still seems far to vague for me.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 02:44 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Maybe someone can describe the difference between Science Fiction and fantasy. I've always thought that science fiction movie's were movie's that had an altered perspective on reality or time. Are Science Fiction movie's fantasy films that are still rooted in reality? If so, that still seems far to vague for me.
As I see it...

Science fiction (as the term implies) involves science (anywhere from sociology to physics). There should be some logical, theoretical connection to the real world. It's generally more head-centered than fantasy.

Fantasy need not have any such logical, theoretical connection. It's generally more heart-felt than scifi, but to work best, it should be internally consistent.

(Please note: this is not to say that science fiction can't rouse strong emotion, or that fantasy is for people too dumb for science).

Science fantasy is scifi taken to where it's logical, theoretical connection to the real world is tenuous ("Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic.")

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 12:52 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Captain Howdy

I believe there is a definite difference between fantasy and sci-fi.

Fantasy has to do more with changing the laws of reality, such as magic/sorcery and supernatural abilities existing. Sci-fi has more to do with technological advances which are still based in reality/laws of science.

There was a time when fantasy literature was my number one reading; I also greatly enjoyed sci-fi, but I recognized there was a significant difference which made fantasy my top choice. However, Warhammer 40,000, which combines fantasy, sci-fi and horror elements as well made me switch to that third category of the combination as my favorite type of reading.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2008 08:56 AM
Captain Howdy is currently offline Click here to Send Captain Howdy a Private Message Find more posts by Captain Howdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Black Ghost
Observer

Sci-Fi and Fantasy first of all have innacurate names. Sci-Fi doesnt mean aliens and fantasy doesnt mean magic and wizards.

Look at 1984, Brave New World...science fiction, but also "fantasy" in their own sense.

Fantasy also has a broad spectrum that includes sci fi elements.

So Id say they are close.

but I like sci-fi more.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2008 09:47 PM
The Black Ghost is currently offline Click here to Send The Black Ghost a Private Message Find more posts by The Black Ghost Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dataflux

I like them both, but science fiction often has more elements that cross into fantasy, such as the Jedi. Not to mention powerful entities.

But Arthur C Clarke said it best:

Any technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2008 11:56 PM
Dataflux is currently offline Click here to Send Dataflux a Private Message Find more posts by Dataflux Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

That's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Sep 28th, 2008 02:05 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote